• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nillansan

Here is some more information about Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut.

An active member (Grant666uk) in the Steam Community has been in touch with Rising Star Games. He asked them a few questions about the port. Here is his post in its entirety.

Grant666uk said:
Right I have been chatting to the devs for the past few weeks and I have asked them a few of your questions. Here is what they said......

We've briefly tested the game on our PC here and the graphics are certainly a lot sharper on a crisp monitor. And our PC isn't really specced as a gaming machine so we've yet to test it on a high rig machine.

We received an updated version this morning so I fired it up on my Alienware laptop and it was amazing! I am delighted to tell you that the framerate is exceptional. It is running so smooth that I struggled to tear myself away from it

Mouse and keyboard is supported and yes you can invert the controls (heard a few people ask that).

I'm not 100% sure on our agreement with GOG.com at the moment. I know we've been in contact but the right person to ask isn't in the office at the moment.

We haven't localized the PC version to Russian. We had investigated it but the cost would have been too much and would have also delayed the release substantially.

Regarding preload, again the person dealing with Steam isn't here at the moment so I can't know for sure. If it isn't Steam standard, then I don't think it will. I know the devs are making final tweaks all the time.

One of those tweaks was the reason I've not been able to make the video. Despite running perfectly on my laptop, when I took it home to my gaming rig, for some odd reason the game was sped up to the extend it was really funny to watch, but not suitable for a 'Let's Play'. We're glad to have caught this problem in time and notified the devs. They've made a few changes and it now run as intended on all machines

Right thats the highlights. I am expecting more infd at some point and will update

Source.

derExperte

Here is some more information about Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut.

An active member (Grant666uk) in the Steam Community has been in touch with Rising Star Games. He asked them a few questions about the port. Here is his post in its entirety.

Source.

BF4 and a good port of DP? And the Steam Halloween sale? If I die next weekend, I'll die as a happy man.

Derrick01

Banned
Is deadly premonition actually a good game or is it like Nier where it's so terrible in most ways but for whatever reason Gaf latched on to it and made it far better than it was? On here people seem to treat it like it's awesome but I can't find any other place on the internet that seems to agree with that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Once a Steam has has a straight forward crack released there is no reason not to release it on GOG

I wonder if the Steam release will be DRM-free. Presumably CEG is something a developer has to voluntarily disable rather than enable, so I'd guess not. I think Divinity: Dragon Commander is the most recent example of a DRM-free Steamworks game, unless the new Scribblenauts is (Unlimited certainly is).

Cheddahz

Banned
Is deadly premonition actually a good game or is it like Nier where it's so terrible in most ways but for whatever reason Gaf latched on to it and made it far better than it was? On here people seem to treat it like it's awesome but I can't find any other place on the internet that seems to agree with that.

I love both games, but it is like Nier, where the gameplay just isn't good and the graphics look low-budget, but everything else about the game makes it wonderful

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Hi Agent Scully, I have time today, come over for a bit.

half_life_3___i_want_to_believe_by_tadeu_costa-d6nf29t.jpg

Sorry, had to do it.

Don't have a flight stick. Can I play purely 360 controller?

I played it for a bit. If I remember there are various levels of realism that lend themselves to different control schemes. I found myself playing with M&K the whole time even though I have both a stick and 360 controller. That was on the more arcade setting

It was pretty fun from what I played. I just didn't have the time to keep playing with my backlog staring at me.

Arthea

Gameplay is pretty terrible, better not to have any illusions in this regard. But then again it's not Nier too, because it has less gameplay :)

The FBIs are now watching this thread

What for? We spend on games too much?

AkuMifune

Banned

Oh, like Alpha Protocol?

Tizoc

I keep hearing about Deadly Premonition's dialog and voice acting being so bad its good, which is plus in my book.

For all I know it's an adventure game with horror elements.

AkuMifune

Banned
No AP has quite a few redeeming qualities about it. Something like Nier doesn't except maybe useless things like music. That's the kind of cord deadly premonition was hitting with me and it seems like it's the same way.

Yeah, you'd hate Deadly Premonition. Even as much as I love it I can recognize it has pretty terrible combat and driving mechanics. You have to like it despite it's flaws.

I'm not going to get in a k-hole argument like AP vs DP or Nier, but all are similar in that they have good elements despite some garbage, it just comes down to taste. I tried to get into AP and liked the branching story beats, but the jank was just too much.

I wonder if the Steam release will be DRM-free. Presumably CEG is something a developer has to voluntarily disable rather than enable, so I'd guess not. I think Divinity: Dragon Commander is the most recent example of a DRM-free Steamworks game, unless the new Scribblenauts is (Unlimited certainly is).
I still have no idea how to play this game properly.

Turfster

The Amazon Halloween deals are live.
  • Overlord 1.49$
  • Overlord: Raising Hell 2.99$
  • Overlord 2 2.99$
  • Dead Island GOTY 4.99$
  • Jericho 1.49$
  • Damnation 2.99$
  • Condemned 3.69$
  • Walking Dead 6.25$
  • Walking Dead 400 days 1.25$
  • How to Survive 10.49$

I keep hearing about Deadly Premonition's dialog and voice acting being so bad its good, which is plus in my book.

For all I know it's an adventure game with horror elements.

The voice acting isn't bad. It's just the dialog is sometimes endearingly eccentric.

Arthea

No AP has quite a few redeeming qualities about it. Something like Nier doesn't except maybe useless things like music. That's the kind of cord deadly premonition was hitting with me and it seems like it's the same way.

I should be the last person defending Nier, but I wouldn't call music useless thing. People have tastes and preferences and for many music is very important.
And DP does have redeeming qualities that are called Twin Peaksesque!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Alpha Protocol is amazing when you play it and immerse yourself into role play for it. Playing as standard action game character can just lead to frustration it doesn't actually want you to really play that way, but playing as Super Serious Spy who tries everything by the book allows some interesting results, meanwhile playing the World's Worst Spy who just bumbles his way through situations and yet is somehow not dead yet even though his poor decision should have had his superiors kill him just to save face, is one of my favourite playthroughs.

Plenty of faults to the game itself mechanically of course, and I understand some being turned off by all the love some of us have for it, but it can go a long way if it is the type of game one can enjoy normally and look past the faults almost like some of us have to look past the faults of indy games or playing retro games for the first time to just enjoy the ride they offer.

Mind you I also replayed Heavy Rain once just for the "fail at everything" run and enjoyed the silliness of it while I never made it through a full single player campaign of most modern FPSs, so I'm different I know.

Walking Dead is probably the least replayable game I've ever played. It does well in convincing you that you had worthwhile choices to make throughout, that you were shaping it into a wildly different and personalized experience, but replays will just give you a peek behind the curtains that ruins the thing it has going for it.

Definitely the kind of game that you play once, stick adamantly to your choices, and appreciate that experience.

My favourite part of games that have such focus on choice, or at least ability to craft small personal stories, comes after playing and sticking to one play-through and then talking to others about their game just to see how different it is in a "what it could have been" with regrets or jubilation things didn't turn out as badly.

Fortunately Wolf Among Us looks to be offering a bit more actual divergence in that aspect, which should make talking about the game just as much fun as playing it, or more.

Dec

Criticism of Alpha Protocol is never anything more than sharp knees complaints.

Forgive me for not wanting to play through a spy game where the hacking minigame is garbage with a kbm. After the first few I looked forward to the amount of times this would occur throughout the game and thought... no thanks.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Forgive me for not wanting to play through a spy game where the hacking minigame is garbage with a kbm. After the first few I looked forward to the amount of times this would occur throughout the game and thought... no thanks.

But Kate Upton doesn't have an ass and I have to drive over to her house!

Dec

But Kate Upton doesn't have an ass and I have to drive over to her house!

So your argument is that the game is great and I am writing it off for something you consider to be trivial.

All I can say is... when I don't have more games than I know what to do with I'll jump through the hoops to play a game I have the near minimum interest to play through.

Grief.exe

Alpha Protocol is amazing when you play it and immerse yourself into role play for it. Playing as standard action game character can just lead to frustration it doesn't actually want you to really play that way, but playing as Super Serious Spy who tries everything by the book allows some interesting results, meanwhile playing the World's Worst Spy who just bumbles his way through situations and yet is somehow not dead yet even though his poor decision should have had his superiors kill him just to save face, is one of my favourite playthroughs.

Worlds Worst Spy sounds hilarious.

Anteater

man Rush's character in The Last Remnant is in the same league as Tidus (at the beginning), the game seems cool though, but I'm kind of confused by the combat system.

Arthea

man Rush's character in The Last Remnant is in the same league as Tidus (at the beginning), the game seems cool though, but I'm kind of confused by the combat system.

The game is great, one of my favourite games this gen, just stick with it, bs alone is worth all kinds of pain. What I would give for another game with similar gameplay concept!
Oh, and I still don't get hate for Tidus, even after all those years. My standards must be pretty low, show me good gameplay, and I will have no problems even with SO4 characters. Although Edge is unbearable, that's true.

Knurek

The game is great, one of my favourite games this gen, just stick with it, bs alone is worth all kinds of pain. What I would give for another game with similar gameplay concept!

Sega did port Hundred Swords to PC, might want to look into that.
If not, try Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song under PCSX2.

Anteater

Oh, and I still don't get hate for Tidus, even after all those years. My standards must be pretty low, show me good gameplay, and I will have no problems even with SO4 characters. Although Edge is unbearable, that's true.

I like Tidus, but I think he and Rush have that personality where they often speak before they think, they seem to be the same type of character.

nexen

Maybe it is just because I'm playing after the most excellent DMC, but I'm having a really difficult time getting into Castlevania.

Looks pretty enough, controls ok, but the combat, level design, and just about everything else is so flat it is a chore to keep going.
I just talked to my dead wife after meeting Pan,
does it get significantly better after that?

Feels bad to (relatively) splurge on a game for $15 and find a $1 pickup to be 10x more compelling.

Freezard

So, Monday. Sale today or never. It makes no sense having the sale from Thursday and onwards anyway when it's already over.

EDIT: That is if I survive the hurricanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom