• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

dofCTpD.png

origin4lyfe

Nymphae

Banned
So this old lady that I work with was asking me about where she could get some adventure games, apparently she loves Myst. So I suggested Steam and she had a look and became very interested, she downloaded it and made an account and everything, and last night tried to purchase one of the Myst games.

Apparently she spent two hours trying to purchase it, but was repeatedly told her credit card info & shipping info or whatever didn't match, even though she tells me she checked it multiple times. She tried to do a support ticket, but she's not that computer savvy I don't think and she was getting really frustrated. She ended up just giving up on Steam and buying the game from some other random adventure game shop online.

I felt bad for recommending it to her and having no ideas as to why it wouldn't work. Has anyone else ever had this happen? I've never had a single problem purchasing anything on Steam.

I'm not really familiar with those games but am intrigued. Does anyone have any comments on any of these please? I don't mind the graphics not been AAAA quality if they are fun to play and there are not annoying little quirks like a badly designed UI or menu system, for instance. Worth a punt?

Avoid Space Empires V like the plague. Space Empires IV was rightly considered a classic in its day (though it is highly dated now), but SEV was so atrocious that it basically killed the series. The game feels soulless, the AI is brain-dead and and the performance / stability was abysmal even on XP. There used to be problems running it on Vista or later: I'm not sure if this was ever solved in a satisfactory manner. In short: stay far, far away, even with a bundle.

Can't really comment on the other games, sorry, but it doesn't look like a particularly inspiring offer.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Being excited for Battlefield 4 is like being excited for another Burger King opening up nearby.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Ha. And here I was hoping for some neat Halloween trading cards.

I wonder what kind of discount Go Home Dinosaurs is going to get. (Probably not enough for me to bat an eye, but there's nothing else interesting left to think about sale-wise...)

Must haves if you like adventure games. Caveat: I don't know if the translation is good.
HoosTrax called it "pretty flawless".
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes rec from HoosTrax said:
Defied my expectations in multiple ways. I didn't read any reviews prior, so I assumed it would be a casual, light-hearted, cartoony point-and-click adventure. Firstly, the plot is actually quite dark and creepy (but amusing at the same time), with some interesting twists, and the intentionally passive-aggressive narrator helps set the off-beat tone of the game. Second, the translation is pretty flawless, which was a concern because the first game, "Edna and Harvey: The Breakout", was panned because of poor English localization. Hopefully the Daedalic games do well enough that they can redo the translation for that game, and be able to bring it to Steam.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
BK opened near my place not long ago

was excited, still eat there

I guess it's not really a fair comparison, as the Burger King will at least roll out something new every once in a while.

That's impossible since they ditched their chicken fries. Now I wish all the BKs near me would close instead of more opening.

This about sums it up perfectly, actually.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So this old lady that I work with was asking me about where she could get some adventure games, apparently she loves Myst. So I suggested Steam and she had a look and became very interested, she downloaded it and made an account and everything, and last night tried to purchase one of the Myst games.

Apparently she spent two hours trying to purchase it, but was repeatedly told her credit card info & shipping info or whatever didn't match, even though she tells me she checked it multiple times. She tried to do a support ticket, but she's not that computer savvy I don't think and she was getting really frustrated. She ended up just giving up on Steam and buying the game from some other random adventure game shop online.

I felt bad for recommending it to her and having no ideas as to why it wouldn't work. Has anyone else ever had this happen? I've never had a single problem purchasing anything on Steam.

In my experience, your billing address and the address tied to your card don't need to match -- I noticed a couple of weeks ago that I'd misspelt my street name when I most recently saved my debit card to my account. My guess is that she was getting the rather vague "There was an error initialising your transaction" error, which occasionally occurs for no apparent reason and in such cases fixes itself after some time.

Salsa

in all realness im not that excited about BF4 as much as I am just following tradition and getting battlefield cause the 3 buds I play since 2 with are gonna be there

I expect to be satisfied with more of the same tho (and hopefully a couple little new things, or at least more akin to BF2 (with commander mode returning and all that))

Dec

I know, it's even better.

Which is fine, as I do that with plenty of games for various reasons that are pretty stupid. But I accept that it's because it's my personal tastes and not something absolutely crippling about the game, either.

The most I can tell you is that the hacking minigames aren't that big of a deal. Then again, I didn't mind the hacking games in Bioshock 1 and 2 (which were apparently deal breakers for a lot of people -- which is as much of a shame as missing out on Alpha Protocol).

Then again, an upper lip that, if blown up in a photograph that has had the contrast excessively turned up, has a little bit of hair on it isn't a deal breaker for me, either.

The minigame isn't the bad thing it's the controls in the minigame. The mouse for the right side is extremely inaccurate, I didn't have a controller back then so I gave up as there didn't seem to be enough things I liked about the game to ignore the flaws.

I don't think it's a dumb reason, it is a large criticism many people have about the PC version.

In any case, I'm not going to belittle your opinion as you have done twice now to me.

kafiend

With great insight provided by my long and illustrious carreer in the computer troubleshooting industry I can say with some confidence that the problem was likely to be between the computer and chair.

Avoid Space Empires V like the plague. Space Empires IV was rightly considered a classic in its day (though it is highly dated now), but SEV was so atrocious that it basically killed the series. The game feels soulless, the AI is brain-dead and and the performance / stability was abysmal even on XP. There used to be problems running it on Vista or later: I'm not sure if this was ever solved in a satisfactory manner. In short: stay far, far away, even with a bundle.

Can't really comment on the other games, sorry, but it doesn't look like a particularly inspiring offer.

Thanks my fine dragon friend :).

Hope you managed to get some sleep in the end and/or took your footy team to glory!

Being excited for Battlefield 4 is like being excited for another Burger King opening up nearby.

Hey! They opened one in my sleepy little coastal tourist town recently and it was a big* deal.

* oh that's nice

I'm about to pull the trigger on it as we speak.

Please don't. Seriously. Wait until someone gifts it to you. That would be a criminal waste of even the 30p [or whatever your region equivalent is] that they're asking for it.

Grief.exe

in all realness im not that excited about BF4 as much as I am just following tradition and getting battlefield cause the 3 buds I play since 2 with are gonna be there

I expect to be satisfied with more of the same tho (and hopefully a couple little new things, or at least more akin to BF2 (with commander mode returning and all that))

I'm in the same boat. I can't say that I am excited at all for BF4, but a few friends play it religiously so I get it to play with them.

Don't see the point of Premium as early 2014 is looking very strong, and Premium for BF3 was fairly weak overall.

Salsa

I'm in the same boat. I can't say that I am excited at all for BF4, but a few friends play it religiously so I get it to play with them.

Don't see the point of Premium as early 2014 is looking very strong, and Premium for BF3 was fairly weak overall.

premium purchase is entirely dependant on wether we keep playing the game in a few months. Also we'll probably all get Titanfall anyway

I think it was great in BF3 tho

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For those that care, pre-purchasing Contrast on Steam gets you the OST, art book and development diary; GMG doesn't offer these bonuses.

I need to go through Steam's Coming Soon list and make a note of all the games with pre-purchase bonuses, so I don't forget to pre-purchase them, because I'm a sucker for pre-purchase-exclusive stuff. Pre-purchase, pre-purchase, pre-purchase!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
omg you guys, I just bought the best dessert ever.

It's like two shaved coconut hockey pucks (held together with basically sugar) and, between them, lemon pie filling.

This probably had more sugar in it than I consumed this entire year.

My headache went away and I'm not even made about no Halloween sale today.

This is pretty great.

premium purchase is entirely dependant on wether we keep playing the game in a few months. Also we'll probably all get Titanfall anyway

I think it was great in BF3 tho

Premium provides you with all the 5 pieces of DLC AND priority queue on server. Add in the fact that I live on a country that has only between 6-12 servers online at any given time, Premium is quite interesting.

And EVEN with that, I didn't buy it yet: I'll wait for a sale or the first DLC (that I don't have access to: China Rising doesn't count) to come out before buying it.

It's a great value, though.

wazoo

For those that care, pre-purchasing Contrast on Steam gets you the OST, art book and development diary; GMG doesn't offer these bonuses.

Are you sure, I bought many games outside steam (like the Resident Evil) and got the prepurchases bonuses as well.

Nymphae

Banned
In my experience, your billing address and the address tied to your card don't need to match -- I noticed a couple of weeks ago that I'd misspelt my street name when I most recently saved my debit card to my account. My guess is that she was getting the rather vague "There was an error initialising your transaction" error, which occasionally occurs for no apparent reason and in such cases fixes itself after some time.

Well that certainly sucks, she seems completely soured on Steam now and I don't think she's going to try again. I don't blame her honestly, that would piss me off too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom