• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

A couple of my friends like Origins. It doesn't sound like a bad game.

It's not terrible, quite serviceable if you're a hardcore batman fan. But if you've burnt out on the previous games, Origins won't give you a woody, and may actually feel like a step back in some ways.

Oh, I was considering going the low effort route and just using whatever wikipedia has.

I'm not sure it would be possible to find a pic that he doesn't already have unless you stalked her and took it yourself :p.

I also liked American Nightmare a lot. It got kinda old doing the same three stages three times, but I liked how they got shorter and shorter as time progressed.

Not playing it immediately after the original helped, though. No burnout.

I played the main game, the DLC and A Nightmare one after the other and only started feeling burned out near the very end of that.

Well I did say I liked it :).

rtcn63

Whoa there, now this needs some details.

Nothing set in stone, but enemies appear to be more aggressive yet combat stays mostly the same (Batman seems a bit less responsive and lost during combat sometimes, which doesn't help), and the upgrade system has been "streamlined" for the worse. Anecdotal, but I think I've seen a few others mention something like such in the OT. I haven't gotten the super OP
shock gloves
yet though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh, I was considering going the low effort route and just using whatever wikipedia has.

Somebody needs to update the main image; it's already more than two years old. Still, it's better than the preceding photo, from the 2008 City of Ember premiere in Belfast.

What if they like Uplay?

I secretly buy uplay games at retail to avoid dealing with two launchers, also they are at least $20 cheaper.

Whoa there, now this needs some details.

You've hit five posts now.

def sim

As long as they don't like ORIGIN. Then you must break all ties.

It's better than Uplay, at least. I know that's not saying much!

It's not terrible, quite serviceable if you're a hardcore batman fan. But if you've burnt out on the previous games, Origins won't give you a woody, and may actually feel like a step back in some ways.

I am somewhat burn out on them, so I'll wait for a discount. I'll be happy to buy it at the $20 range.

Derrick01

Banned
Destructoid gave Arkham Origins a 3.5/10

I wonder if they are going to step up to the plate for other AAA titles coming out this Winter.

Salsa was saying there were great impressions coming out of the GAF OT.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-batman-arkham-origins-264357.phtml

I still have only played a few hours so keep that in mind, but there's no way the game is a 3. Did you like AC? It's AC with a few tweaks and additions that are really good and there's 1 annoying problem with the combat. They made the enemies insanely aggressive to the point where after you counter someone another guy is already starting his attack motion.

It's annoying but if you can adjust around it it's pretty much AC with more difficulty and a better story (so far). AC got a ~95 on metacritic by the way so all these reviewers who are crushing this game are out of their fucking minds. I'd like to see them criticize COD or assassin's creed for being the same game every year instead of a Batman game who used much of the same formula once, but those games have huge hype behind them so they won't.

neoism

If this game is a 3.5 then I need need to go find more 3.5s.

well to some its an glitchy mess... I cant even get 15% in the story.. so until its patched if a patch will even fix it... I can understand some people being real pissed... Even with GFWL on AA and AC I beat both games twice and never had any problems.... This game most definitely seems to have the most glitches and problems over the whole series...its like that skipped QA completely... its definitely not a 3.5 but its at best a 7. But a game the eats saves.... Im getting real fucking tired of auto-saving in games.. just let me save when I what toooo... -_-

ArjanN

A couple of my friends like Origins. It doesn't sound like a bad game.

General consensus seemed more like 7-8 type game, it's pretty much more of the same, but what's there is solid.

EDIT: ^^ except with more bugs as well, but it seems like a decent pickup once the price has dropped a bit and by that time they'll most likely have patched most of the issues.

Nabs

That 3.5/10 is really blowing my mind. I stopped playing last night after reaching this one part that instantly gives the game an extra 5 points. I'm currently sitting at a 14/10.

I'll be sure to read the review when I'm done with the game.

Oh... it's Sterling. Scratch that last line.

Nothing set in stone, but enemies are more aggressive yet combat stays mostly the same (combos are harder to maintain, and it's add the repetitive nature), and the upgrade system has been "streamlined" for the worse. Anecdotal, but I think I've seen a few others mention something like such in the OT. I haven't gotten the super OP
shock gloves
yet though.
Oh well that sounds like something that I have to see for my self. Because honestly I could levy those complains against Arkham City right now, it really depends on how serious the problems are.

You've hit five posts now.
Nice, now I am set for at least two threads.

FloatOn

Destructoid gave Arkham Origins a 3.5/10

I wonder if they are going to step up to the plate for other AAA titles coming out this Winter.

Salsa was saying there were great impressions coming out of the GAF OT.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-batman-arkham-origins-264357.phtml

This review was written by Jim Sterling.

Obligatory:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - 5.0

Witcher 2 - 6.0

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - 9.5

from this line of reasoning Arkham Origins is probably pretty damn amazing.

rtcn63

Oh well that sounds like something that I have to see for my self. Because honestly I could levy those complains against Arkham City right now, it really depends on how serious the problems are.

Yeah, I can't say for sure. At best, they just didn't really "improve" the combat since City.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That 3.5/10 is really blowing my mind. I stopped playing last night after reaching this one part that instantly gives the game an extra 5 points. I'm currently sitting at a 14/10.

I'll be sure to read the review when I'm done with the game.

Oh... it's Sterling. Scratch that last line.
Yo if its the part I'm suspecting it is there is another segment later on that adds another 5 to that review score.

Deadstar

This review was written by Jim Sterling.

Obligatory:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - 5.0

Witcher 2 - 6.0

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - 9.5

from this line of reasoning Arkham Origins is probably pretty damn amazing.

Witcher 2.....a 6? What.....it was one of the best games I have ever played.

Derrick01

Banned

AC's combat was perfect IMO for that kind of formula. Origins' aggressive enemies really changes how you approach battles and I'm not sure if it's for the better yet. When enemies are constantly in your face and attacking it's really hard to pull off a lot of moves like a ground takedown, or that move where he pulls an enemy with a batclaw then slams him to the ground. You really have to try to line guys up by flipping over them and creating enough space for yourself. They don't even stay stunned from batarangs (even upgraded ones!) or explosive gel for more than a second or two.

I dunno I'm not ready to say it's a huge problem yet because I'm still adapting and trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. I'm trying to approach it as just another challenge right now.

Phantomspiker said:
Bitch about reviewers not using the full 1-10 scale, still bitch when they do

I have no problem with people giving games 2s and 3s that deserve it, like Tomb Raider. Unless something horrible happens in AO it's nowhere near a 3.

I still have only played a few hours so keep that in mind, but there's no way the game is a 3. Did you like AC? It's AC with a few tweaks and additions that are really good and there's 1 annoying problem with the combat. They made the enemies insanely aggressive to the point where after you counter someone another guy is already starting his attack motion.
Did you play Arkham City on hard, it sounds very similar to how the enemies behaved in that game. On hard difficulty there would be a pause of one second or less between hitting/countering one enemy and then next one already attacking you.

This only becomes a problem when fighting armoured enemies which you have to stun and the beat down. The extreme aggressiveness of other enemies would force you to counter 3 or 4 times before ever finishing the beatdown. Also applies to Titan enemies, but there other oddities with them like enemies will stop attacking you at the end of the ultra stun combo.

rtcn63

Witcher 2.....a 6? What.....it was one of the best games I have ever played.

Witcher 2 appears to be one of those "decisive yay or nay" sort of games. I wasn't fond of the combat, map, crafting system all that much. I tried, but I ended up stopping before the second or third boss fight. It seemed like a game that required a divine level of prescience and patience. I could see how others would enjoy it, but I couldn't it.

Dec

Witcher 2 appears to be one of those "decisive yeah or nay" sort of games. I wasn't fond of the combat, map, crafting system all that much. I tried, but I ended up stopping before the second or third boss fight. It seemed like a game that required a divine level of prescience and patience. N

Try it with the combat mod.

Derrick01

Banned
Did you play Arkham City on hard, it sounds very similar to how the enemies behaved in that game. On hard difficulty there would be a pause of one second or less between hitting/countering one enemy and then next one already attacking you.

Yeah my 2nd playthrough of AC and the one I briefly started last Tuesday was on Hard and it was a nice challenge but nothing on this level. I can't overstate just how aggressive these guys in AO are on Hard (not sure difficulty matters in this case). In AC on hard I could still pull off most of Batman's moves and get a high combo in large fights. In AO I mostly just die :lol

I also forgot to mention they really cut down your window of opportunity on counters. You also can't counter nearly as well or at all while doing certain moves too, but that may be because the window was cut down so much.

Yeah my 2nd playthrough of AC and the one I briefly started last Tuesday was on Hard and it was a nice challenge but nothing on this level. I can't overstate just how aggressive these guys in AO are on Hard (not sure difficulty matters in this case). In AC on hard I could still pull off most of Batman's moves and get a high combo in large fights. In AO I mostly just die :lol

Excite, definitely looking forward to the potential challenge now. My only problem with AC in combat is with enemies that can't be countered and the ones that interrupt your free flow combo. So armoured enemies, stun rods and shields. They tend to break the flow of the combat for me, so this could be really fun.

Edit: The noticeable thing in AC with difficulty levels was that enemies became more aggressive and their attacks came out faster so you had a smaller window of time to beat their attacks with your own attack and are forced to rely on the counter more often.

Bitch about reviewers not using the full 1-10 scale, still bitch when they do.

Come on guys...it's just his opinion.

..except the guy is bitching that Origins recycles content from AC and docks the score, but gives MW3 a 9.5, which has basically used a exact same formula for the better part of a decade.

def sim

I'm glad they've made the Batman games more difficult. After completing all the challenge rooms in Asylum, I've been way too baller at the games.

iji1bRDUKUN9p.png

Salsa

Difficulty definitely effects aggressiveness Derrick. Drop it down a notch.

he cant tho. Has to start over

I read about Hard being shitty and tedious just now and thankfully started on Normal. Seems fine so far.

hard in AO just doesnt seem like a proper challenge as much as just guys taking a shit load of time to go down and it becoming boring fast

Grief.exe

I read about Hard being shitty and tedious just now and thankfully started on Normal. Seems fine so far.

hard in AO just doesnt seem like a proper challenge as much as just guys taking a shit load of time to go down and it becoming boring fast

More difficulty? Just make them bullet sponges.

Game Development 101

Derrick01

Banned

It's not really boring unless you choose to stop letting them pummel you and game the combat system by constantly jumping over guys or just countering the whole time. I refuse to do that because while it may work it's not fun. Since I can't really start over I'm going to try to figure a way through it while still using a diverse amount of moves. I know I can still salvage this.

Man they trolled me good though. I picked hard because I felt like I had AA and AC's combat down so well that normal was going to be too easy like it is in those games. Joke's on me.

def sim

Yikes, I'm not a fan of that. Making the counter window smaller and letting the AI really try to attack you instead of crowding around like it's a dance off is one thing, but making them too resilient could get annoying.

Salsa

More difficulty? Just make them bullet sponges.

Game Development 101

what's weird is that they have this New Game++ kinda mode that you can only access on a third playthrough (after beating new game+) and they promote it all as SUPER DIFFICULT BEST CHALLENGE ONLY FOR PROS

cant imagine that's just enemies taking even longer to go down.. right? why would I work to access that

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Perhaps he enjoys the COD formula more than the Batman formula. You goofballs get so out of sorts when someones opinion differs from your own.

Relax, you're allowed to like Batman even though he doesn't.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Perhaps he enjoys the COD formula more than the Batman formula. You goofballs get so out of sorts when someones opinion differs from your own.

Relax, you're allowed to like Batman even though he doesn't.
Preference is fine but his logic and consistency has more holes than Batman's cape at the end of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom