• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
..except the guy is bitching that Origins recycles content from AC and docks the score, but gives MW3 a 9.5, which has basically used a exact same formula for the better part of a decade.

That would be fine if content recycling was his only complain, he gives many other reasons why he doesn't like it.

Dat last secret level in Cave Story.

iMN0B.gif

Salsa

I havent read many reviews but one of the complaints I heard about AO was that its more similar to Asylum with emphasis on closed spaces and whatnot, and that this was a step back in the series..

..that's a good thing afaik

Whools

Destructoid gave Arkham Origins a 3.5/10

I wonder if they are going to step up to the plate for other AAA titles coming out this Winter.

Salsa was saying there were great impressions coming out of the GAF OT.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-batman-arkham-origins-264357.phtml

I appreciate Jim's sentiment, but he fails to justify such a low score in his actual review. rare game breaking bugs and apathetic characters just don't say failure of a game to me, if it did, a vast majority of games would be huge failures.

Salsa

worst thing about AO that isnt related at all to the game itself: Physx

im so tired of deciding wether to leave that shit on or off.

put it on > suddenly tons of debris, framerate is shit "well this sucks" > change it to off > have to restart the game > done with that heavy debris area and realize that the game can totally run at 60fps with physx on high > on again > suddenly another area where it crawls

I mean I know I suck for trying to make my games look best and should just turn it off and not let it bother me but I dont like knowing the game could look better

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I havent read many reviews but one of the complaints I heard about AO was that its more similar to Asylum with emphasis on closed spaces and whatnot, and that this was a step back in the series..

..that's a good thing afaik

I only watched the Giantbomb quicklook, but Batman Origins seems clearly a case of "more of the same with very little new tricks and not enough polish because it was a quick sequel from not the original studio", which you can clearly notice on the wonky camera angles and generic attack multiplier font.

However, it's Batman, a game I like, so I'm ok with it. I'm just not going to pay full price for it, specially when I was "burned" on the last two games, with a discounted version/GOTY coming out quickly after teh release of the game.

People usually let those small things pass on Call of Duty because they're brain dead users who like the CoD formula more than anything and are more than willing to throw 60 bucks down the toilet for more macho twitch gameplay "I saw him first and pressed the button in a millisecond and killed him even though I only shot him once on the leg" and calling people names on the internet while you ask your mom for your chocolate milk-players.

Or maybe that's just prejudice on my part, iunno.

Salsa

I only watched the Giantbomb quicklook, but Batman Origins seems clearly a case of "more of the same with very little new tricks and not enough polish because it was a quick sequel from not the original studio", which you can clearly notice on the wonky camera angles and generic attack multiplier font.

However, it's Batman, a game I like, so I'm ok with it. I'm just not going to pay full price for it, specially when I was "burned" on the last two games, with a discounted version/GOTY coming out quickly after teh release of the game.

People usually let those small things pass on Call of Duty because they're brain dead users who like the CoD formula more than anything and are more than willing to throw 60 bucks down the toilet for more macho twitch gameplay "I saw him first and pressed the button in a millisecond and killed him even though I only shot him once on the leg" and calling people names on the internet while you ask your mom for your chocolate milk-players.

idk man, maybe im biased cause I like the series a lot but so far this feels a bit more inspired than what I expected. Arkham City's DNA is certainly there through but it doesnt go as far as feeling like an expansion pack, as some people are saying

Since I got done with American Nightmare, I decided to start up Dead Rising 2 Off The Record and finish it. I start it up and guess what... my save data is gone.

Just remembering all the survivors I saved, and having to fight that freakin Snowball again makes me not even want to touch it. It took me like 10+ tries to beat Snowball, and the survivors were a real chore to help. I also had a few good blueprints and weapons on me.

I'll play this game another time, because it'll take a while to even get back to the part I was on.

I just never told my GF about American Nightmare because I didn't want to taint her view of the series (which better CONTINUE).

I hope so too. It's one of the better 3rd person horror games of this gen (though it doesn't have much horror).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Woo!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Cook, Serve, Delicious!, -- MB-CFB8DFEF3F2160D2 - Taken by oipic. 84 entrants total.

t1383001625z1.png

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
what's weird is that they have this New Game++ kinda mode that you can only access on a third playthrough (after beating new game+) and they promote it all as SUPER DIFFICULT BEST CHALLENGE ONLY FOR PROS

cant imagine that's just enemies taking even longer to go down.. right? why would I work to access that
I don't know if it also includes enemies with boring levels of health, but that's at least not intended to be the Big Important Thing about that NG++ mode. The big deal is that it involves
permadeath and "no saving". I'd be surprised if they don't give you a suspend save though

maneil99

Someone is sour

Turfster

That thought just gave me 10 strokes.

It's the flashing strobe effects they'll add.

I have not played MP3 yet, so is this a good thing or a bad thing?

MP3 was horrible. A shit game with a shitty stolen story told in a shit way (they not only ripped off Man on Fire, they ripped off Tony Scott's style too) with unskippable cutscenes that make you wonder why people thought MGS cutscenes were long.

Derrick01

Banned
Origins is a prequel so it doesn't really matter.

Gameplay wise it does some things better than AC and some things AC doesn't have at all. It's better to go AA-->AC-->AO in that regard.

Also I just started playing again today and I haven't had a problem with the combat so far. It's like I adapted overnight in my sleep :p

def sim

MP3 was horrible. A shit game with a shitty stolen story told in a shit way (they not only ripped off Man on Fire, they ripped off Tony Scott's style too) with unskippable cutscenes that make you wonder why people thought MGS cutscenes were long.

I liked Man on Fire, but that's not really Max Payne. Sounds like they deviated from the heavy handed noir.

Its an impossibility.

Max Payne 3 is as good as 1 and 2 tho.

If it plays the same, I'll be content enough.

I have not played MP3 yet, so is this a good thing or a bad thing?

e: i know it's not possible
It's good in that it'll play better than ever.

It's bad in that you won't get to play a lot because you'll not go 10 steps without triggering a cutscene.

It's worse in that it'll completely ditch almost everything you like about the previous entries stylistically in favour of poorly imitating another movie and making everyone sound like a GTA character.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Someone is sour

I genuinely think that's all of Call of Duty: massively on-rails spectacle single player campaign that appeals to lowest common denominator (look at the pweety explosions) and very little actual skill-based online multiplayer. You get more points or "kills in a match" by knowing where the enemies will spawn/come from and react and the actual, physical "pressing this button when I see somebody" reaction time than actually being better at controlling the game or, you know, aiming.

Which saddens me, because with Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3, EA has been following that "sales figure" blindly, actually turning people away from the core Battlefield experience.

I played Modern Warfare once with a friend that plays both Battlefield and Call of Duty and I literally said "what the hell, on Battlefield I can get shot, turn around and actually be skillful enough to win the encounter with the other dude, by either dropping, shooting him in the head while he shot me in the body/leg or losing, depending on skill. On this, I just get shot constantly out of god knows where, die instantly and have zero time to react". Her answer was "oh, that's normal, you just need to learn the map and know where people are". Well, fuck that.

Battlefield 3, sadly, got much more similar to that. Hopefully, they're not as blindly following it in Battlefield 4 as they were before. We'll have to wait and see, as Modern Warfare bombing twice probably wasn't a loud enough statement for EA to figure it out.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I liked the TTK in BC2, my first impression of the BF4 beta was they increased it slightly from BF3.

DICE actually Fixed BC2. The Vietnam expansion was pretty much perfect. too bad it was the last one and, because of that, the least played.

After playing the BF4 Beta for two weeks straight, it was really strange going back to BF3: BF3 is much more faster paced and the reaction times have to be much faster. Personally, I thought BF4 handled better and it gave me high hopes - exactly what I wanted out of the Beta.

Here's hoping that DICE won't change everything about the game in the coming months/patches, as they usually do.

Knurek

In real life combat if you don't see someone and they shoot you you tend to die.

Not really. During the Vietnamese war there were roughly 2 million deaths and approximately 5 billion bullets fired.

That gives you more than 2000 shots per death.

How does that compare to BF/CoD?

The_Monk

Been away all day and it's going to be a crazy busy week. I see that the daily deal is a good one but many can wait for it to go lower.

I have my eye on that Sim bundle but I have no idea if it's worth it or not. I also see Slender is now on Steam and no Halloween sale, yet. Did I miss anything else my good fellow GAFfers?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Not really. During the Vietnamese war there were roughly 2 million deaths and approximately 5 billion bullets fired.

That gives you more than 2000 shots per death.

How does that compare to BF/CoD?
Somewhere between shitty Dice netcode and a team of Counter-strike noobs

Been away all day and it's going to be a crazy busy week. I see that the daily deal is a good one but many can wait for it to go lower.

I have my eye on that Sim bundle but I have no idea if it's worth it or not. I also see Slender is now on Steam and no Halloween sale, yet. Did I miss anything else my good fellow GAFfers?

I see complaining about review scores. Safe to say not much has been happening.

Turfster

There's also an indiegala bundle for strategy games.

What was the name of the one really sharp looking game where you play as a robot that is rebuilding civilization 9or something like that. They only showed screnshots so far but there was supposed to be a trailer today. Cant remember the name and I'm not seeing the trailer on the thread on the front page so I'm assuming it underwhelmed.

Turfster

What was the name of the one really sharp looking game where you play as a robot that is rebuilding civilization 9or something like that. They only showed screnshots so far but there was supposed to be a trailer today. Cant remember the name and I'm not seeing the trailer on the thread on the front page so I'm assuming it underwhelmed.

No, it was amazing (I just hope they fix the floatiness)
The game is Reset and this is the trailer. Indiegogo funding campaign starting soon.
Also, technically not a robot, it's a human in an exo-suit iirc.

Anteater

Reset? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692791&page=2

I don't know about the civilization stuff but it has robot and puzzles

Edit: beaten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom