• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't have a problem with someone using a review to make a broader comment about an industry trend, positive or negative. I have no problem with someone giving a flawed but refreshing game a better score than a well-rounded piece of schlock. That approach to reviewing might not be valuable to all readers as a buyer's guide, but from a longer-term point of view and a deeper engagement with the game and gaming. *shrugs*

Grief.exe

Wii version is letterboxed and has shitty resolution.

Sure, you're going to tell me that you can fix that using Dolphin. I don't remember what people were complaining about the HD remakes (was it shitty FPS?), but I think they're the best ones.

We have all been talking about the Dolphin version the whole time, not the actual Wii version.

FloatOn

I don't have a problem with someone using a review to make a broader comment about an industry trend, positive or negative. I have no problem with someone giving a flawed but refreshing game a better score than a well-rounded piece of schlock. That approach to reviewing might not be valuable to all readers as a buyer's guide, but from a longer-term point of view and a deeper engagement with the game and gaming. *shrugs*

Totally agreed. I think there is this really nasty trend of reviewers being overly negative as a means to boost their own ego. It's like... who can be the most angry video game nerd of all?

It's really similar to competing stand up comedians who are fighting over the most cynical comic prize.

rtcn63

Totally agreed. I think there is this really nasty trend of reviewers being overly negative as a means to boost their own ego. It's like... who can be the most angry video game nerd of all?

It's really similar to competing stand up comedians who are fighting over the most cynical comic prize.

I recall Sterling's RE6 review, and it seemed less about the game than Sterling just wanking himself off. Or not. http://www.destructoid.com/review-resident-evil-6-235326.phtml

And I didn't even like RE6 compared to the previous two. Beat it twice for the sake of coop.

Whools

Same song and dance he tried with his bureau review debacle.

Yeah, if he was consistent in his review criteria, that would be fine, but every now and again he seems to try and push his values through a review, like the bureau (For those wondering, he disliked the mainstream-isation) and Beyond(Thinks david cage talks a lot of shite, and can't write well enough to make films, which keeps cage in the video game business) and now Batman (lack of originality/ rehashing for profit is killing industry).

This would be fair enough, but it skews his consistency, and makes it difficult to gauge his reviews against those reviews where a strong reaction isn't evoked in him. You would think Jimquisitions/opinion pieces would be enough to convey this message.
I would suggest that he adjust all of his future reviews to this scale of his, but then how would he enrage people on forums.

This is what I wanted to say but more eloquently and concisely.

Salsa

rUxg10Q.png
22n5yOt.png
TELL EM

Anustart

3 would probably be well-regarded if it didn't have Phantasy Star hastily slapped on the boxart. Its a pretty cool RPG for the era.

4 is more of the real PS experience, and one of the best JRPGs ever. Great characters, cool battle system, tough dungeons that don't take things to unreasonable levels like PS1 and 2... If you have any love for 90's JRPGs I can safely say you'll love it.

Oh I love me some 90s rpgs. Though I was an snes kid and only had access to that lot :3

Like it or not, the Wii version is THE DEFINITIVE version (who ever thought that could be a sentence lol).

i no rite "definitive version" has no place in anything when it is a matter of subjective taste.

:p

I had typed more but realised that I didn't want to encourage a system warz discussion. We've got the rest of Gaming for that :/.

Funny thing is, I don't own Bad Rats.

And now I'm weirdly tempted.

I used to think that too :/.

Save yourself. It's not too late. It's too late for me but you can save yourself.

Go. GO!

FloatOn

Man, i've been playing with lag for many years and now that i have a decent PC everything feels weird.

by "lag" you mean fps and yeah, I experienced the converse of this when I played gta5 on ps3.

I got used to it though. Game is still good but would be fucking glorious on pc.

oipic

Nothing good comes from Uruguay

Suarez's hat-trick the other day suggests otherwise!
Have we been moved to Community yet?

Back on track: replaying Arkham Asylum because I'm something of a slattern for Steam achievements - so much so I haven't played Arkham City yet, because I've been waiting (and waiting) to tackle this with-achievements re-run first. So much Batman, so good. Will wait for the Origins GOTY edition, though, I think.

maneil99

Suarez's hat-trick the other day suggests otherwise!
Have we been moved to Community yet?

Back on track: replaying Arkham Asylum because I'm something of a slattern for Steam achievements - so much so I haven't played Arkham City yet, because I've been waiting (and waiting) to tackle this with-achievements re-run first. So much Batman, so good. Will wait for the Origins GOTY edition, though, I think.

If its not hockey its not a hat trick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom