• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
But FO3 is the better game...

The world, the story, etc.

NV has some ups over FO3 though. Iron sights and such.

and the RPG elements, and the writing quality, and the faction system, and the weapon mod system, and the companions, and the better DLC. You left out a whole lot there. Hell I probably did too.

FloatOn

Thanks a lot, heard some really good things about Thomas Was Alone.

of all the puzzle platformers I think Thomas Was Alone is my favorite. Which isn't to say I didn't like Braid, FEZ, or Limbo it's just that the overall message of friendship is really uplifting in TWA.
I'm also partial to pretty much all accents from the UK

Pakkidis

Yeah, you're right. If anyone's opinion is worth hearing, they'll send me a friend request.

(And be friends with people I'm friends with or in the same (non-public) groups I am.)

Don't freak, I just sent a friends request. i need more neogaf friends on steam. I only have 2 so far :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Y'know, I was wondering, is it JaseC that buys stuff from other regions that are different subs on steam?

If so, how does he manage when certain games have also press versions?

Press versions are pre-release builds for previews (or in some cases special review builds) so short of getting a job at Polygon or whatnot there's nothing I can do.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Is La Mulana better played with a controller or k/b + m?

The game is perfectly fine with a controller, but it should be noted that the game was designed as an old tribute to home computer games back in the day when a keyboard was all we had.

Try it out for a bit with just the keyboard, but in the end simply go with whatever is the most comfortable for you to use. I do not recommend a DDR mat.

Don't freak, I just sent a friends request. i need more neogaf friends on steam. I only have 2 so far :(

If you add your Steam account to your NeoGAF profile, I'm sure you'll get more of us adding you. Until then, feel free to add me. http://steamcommunity.com/id/kenofthedead

DocSeuss

rofl c'mon dude

the story?

I get that liam neeson being your dad for 5 minutes is really cool but please

Yeah... the world, sure. It's got a way better map and feeling of immersion. New Vegas has really bad world design and just doesn't do 3D well. But the story? Um... neither particularly excel on that front, though New Vegas is certainly more detailed and intricate.

zkylon

zkylewd
Press versions are pre-release builds for previews (or in some cases special review builds) so short of getting a job at Polygon or whatnot there's nothing I can do.

besides free stuff ain't fun right

Yeah... the world, sure. It's got a way better map and feeling of immersion. New Vegas has really bad world design and just doesn't do 3D well. But the story? Um... neither particularly excel on that front, though New Vegas is certainly more detailed and intricate.
see, I'd challenge the world part too (seriously for everything people say about new vegas being just desert, fo3 for me was all green ruins and green subway stations), but I can at least agree to disagree one that one.

the story in fo3, tho, is laughably bad, like the worst kind of fan fiction. they didn't even create their own villains, they just grabbed some random fun shit from fo2 and 1 and put the hero and villain caps on them and called it a day.

new vegas has its shortcomings and ceasar's legion is criminally underdeveloped but at least it tried and my enjoyment of the game wasn't tied to my skipping 100% of the dialogue like in fo3

Caerith

Right now my community feed is full of game reviews.
That'll change when the novelty wears off.

Please elaborate. What's bad about the world design in New Vegas?

JaseC

besides free stuff ain't fun right

If somebody were giving away a licensed game that I consider to be a flight risk (which at this juncture is just Acti's stuff), I'd jump on it. TWD Season 2, The Wolf Among Us, and whatever else people have generously offered over the past few weeks are going to be around for a long while yet and so I couldn't in good conscience pinch them for myself.

Nabs

Let the sale games begin!

Dark Souls. Check.
Divekick. Check.

ibiUwb9UgvuYrr.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The story is basically this, you failed as a bodyguard, then you go kill a lot of bad guys, and bitch along the way.

The frequency of the cutscenes is unbelievable, I've never played a game that does that. Before every mission, you can hear Max bitch about everything, and some random words from his speech appear and flash on the screen(which looked very stupid). Go to a door, a cutscene plays, pretty much every door requires a cutscene to open. Certain places in the levels trigger new cutscenes to progress the story. The game took the control away from you every chance it gets.

For the first few hours it all seemed alright, then your eyeballs would start to sore and you'll want to skip the cutscenes and go directly to the shooting.

Haha, you funny guys. Talking about Max Payne 3 as if it's real.

I wish Remedy would get around to finally getting in touch with Rockstar and doing it. I miss New York Minute mode. :(

---

Anyway: Divekick wears it's welcome out after a few minutes like I thought.

Gotta grind the 2000 ranked with YOLO so I can be done with the online, I guess. :/

None of the loading jokes are really funny, but that's probably because I don't stick with the community that it's references. So...

Backlogger

Happy Autumn Sale Eve:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shank 2 -- MB-A83BAEE3B6C3A787 - Taken by Kirosia

rtcn63

Yes, got Shank, thanks Backloglumberjack!

I'm an hour more into FEAR. I quicksave more than I should. But I need to. I'm not that patient.

okayfrog

Banned
People rating reviews down on games simply because they like or hate the game is already getting bad. Saw someone with a well written review of Dust: An Elysian Tail not recommending it, and it was already at like '1 out of 11 people found this review helpful'. Saw the same thing for one recommending FEZ.

Yeah, that really sucks. Valve should find a way to monitor this, but eh, fuck it, let's have Reddit!

So.

Upon finishing DmC through Family Sharing, and with the Autumn sale nearly upon us, I've been thinking. Looking at my wishlist, there's quite a few games that I was planning on picking up in the upcoming sales, that I now have access to through Family Sharing with my best friend (stuff like DmC, Remember Me, Resident Evil: Revelaitons, etc.).

I still totally see myself buying a ton of games in the coming sales, but Family Sharing is this new weird layer that I'm having to grapple with. Example: I've really wanted to play Miasmata, but now I could technically play it at any time right now through sharing. I don't really feel good about it, and it's become something that's been increasingly bothering me, as we get closer to the sales. There's plenty of stuff from the shared library that I see myself still getting, to support developers. Like I played The Stanley Parable through Sharing, because I couldn't afford it at the time, and didn't want it to be spoiled for me by the time I can afford to pick it up. I'll absolutely be buying/gifting that around in the coming sales. Though with games like DmC, which I've completed, paying to transfer "ownership", and a JPEG grid icon over to my header is something I don't know if I'll honestly end up doing.

It's just weird, and now that I've typed it all out I feel like I've done something wrong.

Is this something other Family Sharing folks are concerned/thinking about?

JaseC

"I can just play it via Family Sharing" is the new "I only buy games I'm interested in".

okayfrog

Banned
I was kinda butthurt about Electronic Super Joy, so I sent the developer an angry e-mail. Guy actually replied back. Solid dude.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So.

Is this something other Family Sharing folks are concerned/thinking about?

One could argue that, if the publishers though it was a problem, they would just block their games from being "Family Shareable" in the first place.

Also, imo, there's nothing wrong about buying a game to support a publisher, even though you already played the game by other means and still think it's a pretty good game: I did it with the first Assassin's Creed, of all games. (Sure, it was mostly about having easy access to a game I liked that I didn't have access to anymore AND it only cost me 5 bucks to do it, but the reason is not the point here).

Put it that way: Would you feel weird if a friend lent you his Xbox360 copy of Devil May Cry and you finished it on your console and then returned it to him? Would you be willing to digitally buy it on the XBox360 store if it went down in price enough?

"I can just play it via Family Sharing" is the new "I only buy games I'm interested in".

That's totally what it feels like reading back through that. I had concerns about it going into sharing with him. I was totally cool with him having access to my stuff, but I feared that having access to his would eschew my usual sale cycle behavior. I'll just force myself to go back to using it for the stuff that's been removed from Steam. I'm stubborn enough to do that.

It's just the whole "support the publisher/devs" statement that makes me feel like I'm stealing.

Momentary

Banned
I'd like to take this time to send a big "F-YOU" to Chris Roberts for turning my Steam Bucks into Star ...Bucks?

Anyway, it's probably for the better. The only game left for this year that I want is Assassin's Creed IV. Most indie games I already have keys for when they release. Only other thing I would purchase is a DAMN PC VERSION OF MG RISING!

Milamber

I literally never went back again in Czech Republic, and let me tell you: it hurts. I'm not ashamed to say that the best looking gals I've ever seen were in Prague. Sucks that to get them you have to endure a mailbox full of speeding fines. :(

Your continuing adventures of European trucking continue to amuse me. Hopefully Going East DLC gets a good discount on sale time so I can continue expanding my non-modded profiles trucking empire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom