• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

I didn't personally enjoy it, felt more like a modern cover based shooter to me than a traditional Max Payne game.

Traditional Max Payne's were pretty rife with cover and inching back and forth between corners. They definitely didn't make the game play in such a way that you had to use the lock onto cover mechanic, iirc the hardest difficulty doesn't even allow it.

Anustart

Dunno if I can get a video of the magic doors in Fallout 3. Had to start a new game, and now the game randomly locks up when using VATS :/

zkylon

zkylewd
personally I don't mind with people liking fo3 better than new vegas, but I think it's a terrible rpg, with classic bethesda non-gameplay combat and with its only redeeming quality being that it's an interesting locale, tho filled with stupid people saying stupid things.

at least I understand people liking fo3, it has guns, gore and fallout is a great ip. skyrim on the other hand...

Is Max Payne 3 worth a go? The low price is tempting but I've heard mixed things about the pacing and shooting of that game.

If it helps, I love the first 2 Max Paynes.
gameplay is pretty alright, it's got some very high highs but some pretty low lows, and the story is complete garbage. unskippable cutscenes make it very hard to replay, tho

for me it's a terrible, soulless max payne game that I wish I had payed less for, but for that money it's probably a good idea to pick it up since that airport scene is pretty badass.

Funnily enough I just installed it last night after buying it...what years ago now?

I originally booted it up and played five minutes after finishing FO3. I then thought "not this shit again" and uninstalled it.

Since then all the positive impressions and mods have made me feel like returning. I hope it really delivers where the previous game failed.
there's nothing funny about what you're saying :mad:

hot

Li Kao

What's up SteamGaf ? Me ? Oh that's mighty kind of you. Well me I won't be able to buy a PS4 even if I preordered it in time and even if the damn thing is released in europe on my birthday. You see, it would leave a pretty hefty hole in my budget, and what would I do in the winter sale with a negative bank account ? When you go cray cray with steam, you can still afford to eat, after all. Well, most of the time.
And I still have this dream of a modern setup with htpc, nas, a headset which works, the big life, yeah.
Oh god it hurts... I need a hug.

What's up SteamGaf ? Me ? Oh that's mighty kind of you. Well me I won't be able to buy a PS4 even if I preordered it in time and even if the damn thing is released in europe on my birthday. You see, it would leave a pretty hefty hole in my budget, and what would I do in the winter sale with a negative bank account ? When you go cray cray with steam, you can still afford to eat, after all. Well, most of the time.
And I have still this dream of a modern setup with htpc, nas, a headset which works, the big life, yeah.
Oh god it hurts... I need a hug.

:( Have a hug. If you're very good I'll send William [my avatar] to give you a good cuddle too. You might want to put some ear plugs in or his purring is liable to deafen you :).

Sajjaja

A worse game in every area isn't going to click with you more.

Yes it will because that's what happened to me. I played NV first, didn't like it. Played 3, absolutely loved it. Played NV again, didn't like it. Played NV again, I absolutely loved it.

Derrick Downer.

Caerith

Yes it will because that's what happened to me. I played NV first, didn't like it. Played 3, absolutely loved it. Played NV again, didn't like it. Played NV again, I absolutely loved it.
Why would you play a game four times if you didn't like it the first time?

Sajjaja

Why would you play a game four times if you didn't like it the first time?

Three times. I tried NV three times and it was the third that it clicked.

I kept trying it because I kept hearing its praise around GAF and I figured I'd give it another chance time after time lol.

A worse game in every area isn't going to click with you more.

atmosphere makes a big deal to me. you're probably right, but there's a chance, pretty sure the base game will cost like two dollars anyway. the atmosphere seems quite different in 3 from what you guys've posted so i might as well give it an hour or two.

i tried installing a voice recognition mod for nba 2k, but it wouldn't really work. it worked on some stuff, i could get picks and a few other things, but i think bc the voice recognition was designed for nba 2k12 and i have 2k13 something was off. it was a great idea, it'd be cool if it worked. if anyone else has it maybe it will work for you, i can't even see why it wouldn't work properly as when testing it out in notepad, it seemed to be hitting the right keys upon me saying stuff like 'run best play, center double team, intentional foul, call timeout, etc' but just wouldn't work properly with my game.

FloatOn

Be patient, dodge his Aard, and use Yrden to trap him, attack him a few times, then break away. Easier if you have bombs.

Thanks for the tips. I was working the aard bomb strategy but his force field is really annoying. I get him down to half health pretty regularly but inevitably I get hit by his whirly sword move, poison bomb or fire spell and of course those have damage over time. I think I may just be too underpowered for this fight.

Narag

Thanks for the tips. I was working the aard bomb strategy but his force field is really annoying. I get him down to half health pretty regularly but inevitably I get hit by his whirly sword move, poison bomb or fire spell and of course those have damage over time. I think I may just be too underpowered for this fight.

I remember cheesing that fight by dropping one of those iron traps in the middle of the room. For whatever reason, his signs would hit that allowing me to LOS him. No idea if they ever fixed that as it was near release.

Don't try to engage him directly, if you get too close, then the his signs would definitely hit you.
and most importantly : not skippable
The constant focus shift and flashing made me really uncomfortable.

Shade

A few more, enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

A Virus Named TOM -- MB-59131ADD94FF06B9 - Taken by DasFool. 4 entrants total.
Rocketbirds Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-EDD48EC545392AE2 - Taken by eyeless. 2 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-47DEE60BDDE4520C - Taken by Joken. 1 entrants total.

t1385518347z1.png

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
People rating reviews down on games simply because they like or hate the game is already getting bad. Saw someone with a well written review of Dust: An Elysian Tail not recommending it, and it was already at like '1 out of 11 people found this review helpful'. Saw the same thing for one recommending FEZ.

Caerith

People rating reviews down on games simply because they like or hate the game is already getting bad. Saw someone with a well written review of Dust: An Elysian Tail not recommending it, and it was already at like '1 out of 11 people found this review helpful'. Saw the same thing for one recommending FEZ.

Yup. One of my reviews was already down-rated yesterday and I've since decided to just ignore the community. Up-vote or don't vote at all.

how are the cutscenes annoying? and why would you skip them....the whole point of playing is the actual story!
The story is basically this, you failed as a bodyguard, then you go kill a lot of bad guys, and bitch along the way.

The frequency of the cutscenes is unbelievable, I've never played a game that does that. Before every mission, you can hear Max bitch about everything, and some random words from his speech appear and flash on the screen(which looked very stupid). Go to a door, a cutscene plays, pretty much every door requires a cutscene to open. Certain places in the levels trigger new cutscenes to progress the story. The game took the control away from you every chance it gets.

For the first few hours it all seemed alright, then your eyeballs would start to sore and you'll want to skip the cutscenes and go directly to the shooting.

Anustart

I'm in chapter 2 of Dead Space, and so far, I'm into it! Doesn't matter that I just KNOW some necromorphs are going to be jumping out soon, I still jump a little and my heart gets racing when they do. Their screams and jumping out just do it for me.

Thanks again to the guy who recommended I play this next.

Shade

Found a few more extras, enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Botanicula -- MB-3811FEF7895F1785 - Taken by inm8num2. 5 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-EAC965B1CB78EB0D - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
McPixel -- MB-754AC02ADB34D7C5 - Taken by DXLelouch153. 2 entrants total.

t1385520867z1.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That's what happens when you allow the people who post in the Steam forums to read and rate your reviews. Set them to friends only, and forget that such a kind of people exist.

No, I'm not implying they are inferior to us. I'm plainly saying it :p

Caerith

That's what happens when you allow the people who post in the Steam forums to read and rate your reviews. Set them to friends only, and forget that such a kind of people exist.

No, I'm not implying they are inferior to us. I'm plainly saying it :p

Yeah, you're right. If anyone's opinion is worth hearing, they'll send me a friend request.

(And be friends with people I'm friends with or in the same (non-public) groups I am.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom