• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AsylumX

Many Steam game developers are currently working on native SteamOS titles, which will result in the best possible living room experience being delivered to their customers. In the meantime, we believe it’s important to make sure that the existing catalog of games is also available to Steam users in the living room. So we'd like to talk about in-home streaming, a way for people with good home networks to seamlessly play their Steam games anywhere in the house.

Steam in-home streaming will allow you to play a game on one computer when the game process is actually running on another computer elsewhere in your home. Through Steam, game audio and video is captured on the remote computer and sent to the player’s computer. The game input (keyboard, mouse or gamepad) is sent from the player’s computer to the game process on the remote computer.

Any two computers in a home can be used to stream a gameplay session and this can enable playing games on systems that would not traditionally be able to run those games. For example, a Windows only game could be streamed from a Windows PC to a Steam Machine running Linux in the living room. A graphically intensive game could be streamed from a beefy gaming rig in the office to your low powered laptop that you are using in bed. You could even start a game on one computer and move to a more comfortable location and continue playing it there.

If this works like they said and I kind of believe it will, they should make an app to play PC games on a tablet or something like that. Remote play in the toilet/bed has been my dream for years... (i know the WiiU does that but i don't see myself playing fast-paced games lying down like a walrus)

When the nolurker rule is used.

If used in a giveaway for this thread and you wish to enter, you would need to have posted five or more times in STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII and/or this thread.

Oh wow I must have read that a dozen times and at no point did the meaning of the words register. My apologies. I should be good since I'm fairly sure I've said something dumb on 5 different occasions in the previous Steam thread.

louiedog

9.03m is set on Baker Beach in SF? It's hard to say no to games set in places that I've lived.

Of course some of the memories from that beach involve old naked men walking by, so I'm worried about what that game might trigger.

Saty

We are currently in the early stages of testing Steam in-home streaming. There is a huge variety in home hardware and network configurations, and we would like your help in learning about what works best. If you’re interested in helping out or would like more information about in-home streaming, please join the Steam In-Home Streaming community group and stay tuned for details on a beta coming soon to Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If this works like they said and I kind of believe it will, they should make an app to play PC games on a tablet or something like that. Remote play in the toilet/bed has been my dream for years... (i know the WiiU does that but i don't see myself playing fast-paced games lying down like a walrus)

I'm looking forward to experimenting with in-home streaming. Assuming it's 802.11n-friendly, no longer needing to lug my tower into the lounge room to play a PC game on the TV will be great -- I can instead use my crummy laptop as a middle man.

Caerith

I'm looking forward to experimenting with in-home streaming. Assuming it's 802.11n-friendly, no longer needing to lug my tower into the lounge room to play a PC game on the TV will be great -- I can instead use my crummy laptop as a middle man.
Why not just keep your tower next to your TV?

New thread, woo! We go through these things like candy, huh? Unlucky for me, I think the autumn sale is gonna come like right before finals. ;~; Who needs grades, right?

AsylumX

Path of Exile vs D3 who wins?

They are to completely different things. PoE is Diablo 2.5 and Diablo 3 is a more like an MMO Diablo. If you were or are a hardcore D2 player, you are going to hate D3. I played all of them and my opinion is that you should take everything for what it is and not for what you want them to be.

I hate moving my rig so I bought a 15m HDMI cable and 2 XBOX360 wireless controllers with a USB extension cord. Being lazy sometimes is awesome...

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Oh wow I must have read that a dozen times and at no point did the meaning of the words register. My apologies. I should be good since I'm fairly sure I've said something dumb on 5 different occasions in the previous Steam thread.

No need to apologise. Asking questions when we don't know something is a good way to learn, and failing to get the comprehension of something written is only a problem if left at just that.

Trust me, I had a similar issue where I didn't realise that in a ModBot giveaway I had to actually quote the giveaway PM, instead of just copying and using the
tags myself. Asking why it didn't work exactly right was how I learned.

The_Monk, other PortuGAFfers and fans of adventure games in general:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175472897

Let's greenlight this game!

Voted, favoured, and followed. I do so love when they put a lot of detail into silly animations and atmospheres like Cyber.

Thorgal

After having my PC broken for a week and me frantically trying to finish my console backlog ..

I am back !

What did i miss ?

JaseC

Why not just keep your tower next to your TV?

It's shared. The TV, I mean. I don't go the "comfy couch" route often but streaming will remove the hassle of moving the tower as well as the ADSL modem/router.

So lets say I had a weaker laptop connected to my tv as a Steam machine. Now if I'm streaming a game from my gaming pc to the laptop then I wont be able to also play a second game on the desktop. Obviously the streaming could be somewhat useful in very specific circumstances, but the better option is obviously to just get a second pc with the power to run the games itself.

Now what I really want to know is if family sharing will eventually allow us to run 2 separate games on 2 separate PC's from the same account library.

Caerith

They are to completely different things. PoE is Diablo 2.5 and Diablo 3 is a more like an MMO Diablo. If you were or are a hardcore D2 player, you are going to hate D3. I played all of them and my opinion is that you should take everything for what it is and not for what you want them to be.
Fair criticism. I found D3 to be shallow and mindless, but sometimes you want to play something shallow and mindless. I played PoE in beta, but don't feel like putting the work in to play it now.

Decado

Tempted to get Helsing now that they've patched in gamepad support. Still, with all the sales just around the corner it is probably better to wait... :(

Caerith

It's shared. The TV, I mean. I don't go the "comfy couch" route often but streaming will remove the hassle of moving the tower as well as the ADSL modem/router.
Ah. Well, about the 802.11n, they posted some graphs about its reliability at different ranges (strong signal = right next to router, weak signal = anything else) and it doesn't look good compared to wired. They said they're still looking into it but you might want to lower your resolution, limit your frames, etc, for a smoother experience while streaming over wireless.

i want diablo 3 but it looks more fun on xbox/ps3 to me tbqh, i like the console features more than what you can do with it on pc, i'll grab it on one of those when there's a price drop

AHA-Lambda

Is Hotline Miami as fucking awesome as it looks?

10ohyes.gif

AsylumX

Fair criticism. I found D3 to be shallow and mindless, but sometimes you want to play something shallow and mindless. I played PoE in beta, but don't feel like putting the work in to play it now.

My playtime in D3 is like 300 hours. I always comeback when there is a huge patch or something and I plan to comeback for the expansion. You won't probably remember but D2 wasn't that perfect and awesome until they released LoD a year later.

JaseC

Ah. Well, about the 802.11n, they posted some graphs about its reliability at different ranges (strong signal = right next to router, weak signal = anything else) and it doesn't look good compared to wired. They said they're still looking into it but you might want to lower your resolution, limit your frames, etc, for a smoother experience while streaming over wireless.

If need be I'll finally get around to buying a long cat5 cable. This is actually something I've been meaning to do for yonks now as when my LAN buddy and I get together here we set up in the shed (we made a drinking game out of CS:S's GunGame mod) and have to make a massive phone line out of a few shorter ones so we have internet, haha. Running a couple of longer cat5 cables would make for less of a tangled mess and, more importantly, the ADSL sync speed wouldn't suffer. We don't catch up as often as we used to, though, so I simply keep forgetting about it.

Better yet if the own Saoirse wins one.

Haha, there's a photo of her from a million years ago in which she's holding a Guitar Hero controller, but that's about it as far as Saoirse and video games are concerned.

Edit: Oh, and her character in I Could Never Be Your Woman plays Ape Escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom