• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read The Monk's sale guide and it really changed my mood that I had this evening. Now even if there's dark outside and I'm ill (caught cold and having a bit of fever, nothing that bad but very tired) now I suddenly feel warmth. It must be because of our fellow gaffer, The Monk brilliantness and kindness that shines through that post. Or maybe my apartment's warmer is working again (
it is actually, about time!
). A very memorable post by The Monk truly that oozes warmthness and feels :)

Anyway sale time is very different with steamgaf and I'm glad I have found here (this will be my first sale apart from halloween sale that I have posting priviledges), I've read many forums before but this is one of the few where I really feel that I have a lot of common with fellow posters. And that is passion for
buying
games :) Happy sales everyone, and I think bundle santas all over the internet will deliver as well. It is truly an awesome time to be a gamer, with so many games you can easily and affordable get, you can find underlooked gems that you wouldn't never knew if you just stuck into few major releases every year.

Booted up Far Cry 3 today for the first time. Not on steam though, so after XCOM (which I will continue probably tomorrow) I continued my streak of non-steam backlog reduction. I think my plan is clearly to play everything that I have outside of Steam and then finally have everything unplayed in one place.

Anyway for the game itself, I'm not very far but it's definetly an improvement over Far Cry 2 in every department. I played a bit Far Cry 2 this year too and loathed it.. It was a very boring experience I'm afraid. I couldn't play it more than two and a half hours before putting it down so I'm not going to criticize Far Cry 2 - it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Far Cry 3 improves in everything but still has the same core formula so while I can now actually tolerate playing it, I don't get much out of it. Only two hours in yet so haven't seen much, but I think I won't be playing the main story though, it doesn't really motivate me enough. However I will be playing it again tomorrow and maybe it can spark me to like it more. I already had a couple of chaotic situations where I just drove from a mountain running from enemy, only to find myself battling an alligator :)

tl;dr:
The Monk is awesome, Far Cry are not (for my taste)

Grief.exe

Oh hey new thread.

Yay.

Yay-swimmer-gif.gif

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Saty

Q: Is this like other game streaming services I've heard about?
A: No, you are in complete control over the hardware on both ends and the network between them. There is no data center, no subscription, and it's completely free!

Q: Will this be fast enough for me to enjoy my favorite game?
A: This depends on your hardware, networking configuration and how fast you want it to be. It's free, so try it out and see!

Q: Can I use this to stream games across the Internet?
A: The feature is optimized for home streaming and Internet streaming is currently not supported.

Q: Can someone use my computer while I’m streaming a game from it?
A: No, your computer is dedicated to running the game and input is coming from both the remote client and the local system. It would be very confusing if someone were trying to use the computer at the same time.

Q: How do I get selected to participate in the beta?
A: We will be randomly selecting beta test participants from community members who have joined the Steam In-Home Streaming group

Valve also put up a short Q&A part

edit: beaten

so, anyone making a thread about these In-home streaming stuff they put up today?

all i want for typing of the dead is for the profanity DLC to come out. couldn't play through any more of the game once i knew that was on the horizon.

oipic

I never seen a thread go down as fast as the last Steam Thread...

I think the only thread I'm subscribed to that moves more quickly is the football one (as in soccer, for those so inclined). It's a whole different beast to the Steam threads, obviously, despite how often we sometimes tread the line of being a 'Community' thread as well.

* based purely on gut feel, I have no stats to back this up

I think the only thread I'm subscribed to that moves more quickly is the football one (as in soccer, for those so inclined). It's a whole different beast to the Steam threads, obviously, despite how often we sometimes tread the line of being a 'Community' thread as well.

* based purely on gut feel, I have no stats to back this up

There were times in the last thread where I stopped questioning WHEN we were going to get moved to 'Community', but WHICH 'Community section we would be moved to...

maty

After 7 deaths by Olmec doing a no shortcut run in Spelunky I decided to use them and start from the ice caves. First attempt at Olmec and I finally beat it :D

Went back to do a no shortcut run, reached Olmec, died again. Fucking hell.

This game is good but so infuriating.

Parsnip

Oh hey, I'm totally not a junior member anymore. I'll drink to that occasion.

Yeah, but it's not a word-for-word match with the quote mentioned in the article.
I... am not sure what you even mean. I wasn't looking for the same tweet that the article used, maybe that's where this confusion comes from.

I was only talking about how Steamworks is now confirmed in that twitter conversation, whereas the earlier "this is what we know so far" quote says that there's no confirmation about Steamworks. That's all.

Gbraga

Why won't they discount individual DLC for Van Helsing? D:

That's what I get for buying shit full price, I guess.

zkylon

zkylewd
been playing a whole lot of king's bounty, man these games are awesome. too bad about the giant spiders tho, but other than that they're amazing. I think I got my mage strategy down, too, which always was an issue for me when playing the legend.

also wow page 7 of a new thread already...

Sorry backlog. I was looking forward to making progress with a few games but looks like this weekend will be spent on the Online beta for Senior Rolled Parchments.

I maintain that this thread is among the friendliest on all GAF

But somehow I think this can makes us apart.

I don't see how. People who prefer kb&m, X controller, big screen, desktop etc, will just stay with those, if this doesn't work out. This thread doesn't have the same mentality as, say, the announcement thread. Options and all.

I hope the Steam streaming goes to other devices as well. Would be cool to play Civ V on a tablet somehow.

I think once they reach ARM compatibility we can count on it. Though I guess there are some x86 tablets out too now? Like that Razer one? Haven't been really following that segment.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wow 4th foil ever and the second one today just dropped for me. In Age of Empires III, which just got cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom