• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I get more Booster packs than I do foil cards.

That has been true for me as well, until today. Now I've gotten 4 boosters and 4 foils.

PS Someone please buy my $10 foil k thx

denx

At what price you sell your foils? Do you undercut other people to get to the top? Or are you fine with being in the first page?

I ask this because my foils have been on the top half of the first page of their market entries for months and they still don't sell, even though they aren't that much pricier than the cheapest cards available.

rav

Just a heads up, I bought Gimbal through the dev's webpage a year or so back, and they just sent me an email with a Steam key.
Code:
Thank you tremendously for supporting Gimbal! Here is your Gimbal Steam Key:

Gimbal Steam Key: [redacted]

You can use this key in the Steam Client to add Gimbal to your personal library.

Open Steam Client > Games > Activate a Product on Steam...

Kuroyume

Banned
Sometimes you have to sell at a cheap price. I had a rare foil. For Cognition. Like maybe 6 people on the marketplace for the card. And it just would never sell because the game wasn't popular enough. When I set the price the lowest was like $3.50 or so. Eventually sold it at $1.70.

cicero

There were times in the last thread where I stopped questioning WHEN we were going to get moved to 'Community', but WHICH 'Community section we would be moved to...

What is the official standard for what determines a thread should be moved to Community? In terms of pure newsworthiness the Steam threads have pretty much been a default thread for a large portion of PC gaming news and discussion for quite some time now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I was so excited to finally get through that awful Havana section in the very beginning and get to the pirating stuff today and then...the ps4 dies. It's like a cruel joke at this point.

The atmosphere in Havana is great though. It looks fucking gorgeous at night. I just spent 2 hours running around collecting shit and soaking it in.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Sexy avatars are the only avatars.

edit: apparently size limits aren't the same as on the other forum I frequent. I'll fix it later.

Derrick01

Banned
You have a dead PS4? Or did it just crash?

Broken disc drive. It was working fine even today and when I switched games it spit the disc right back to me and kept spinning. Wouldn't take anything else. Apparently amazon's sending me a new one tomorrow with 1 day shipping so it shouldn't be a long wait before I can get back to playing AC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What is the official standard for what determines a thread should be moved to Community? In terms of pure newsworthiness the Steam threads have pretty much been a default thread for a large portion of PC gaming news and discussion for quite some time now.

OTs get moved to community after a month.

Typically we try to disallow platform threads because it gets a little insular and us-against-the-world and people don't participate on the site more broadly and that's a bad thing, but we've typically allowed digital download store threads because most of the games coming out did not sustain interest to have their own threads (hence XBLA, PSN, Nintendo Downloads, etc). We allowed the iOS thread both for that reason and because of the serious discoverability issues associated with mobile marketplace. Steam doesn't obviously fit into any other category or policy we've had, so it's sort of in limbo.

On the positive side for this thread, it does a good job of spotlighting new releases and stuff like software and the giveaways are pretty relevant and people occasionally do reviews and screenshots which bodes well. And everyone is generally pretty friendly among the regular crew. On the negative side--when I say negative, I don't mean bad, but rather bad for keeping this thread as one single thread and in gaming--it's also sort of a chat room (no offence guys, I'm guilty of it too!), it's not always responsive to people asking for help (sometimes because people don't read the OP), there's tons of forum game derails (post how much you spent, post how many games you have, suggest new thread titles, etc), and a lot of people who post here don't post anywhere else. I understand why that's the case by the way and I sympathize too. Just sort of going through the factors which will probably impact any future discussion on where the thread goes.

Ultimately I think splitting the thread into New Releases, Platform Questions and Features, Greenlight, Reviews and Other would not quite work because I don't think any individual thread would get as much interest as it should.

So, uh, anyway, if you don't want to get moved to Community try not to derail too much and make sure most of the conversation in here is game-focused.

On that note,

After my fail of yesterday of trying to buy MW in NewEgg i started Medal of Honor (2010).

I just finished the game, was approximately four hours, the game simply is bad, it's clearly a copy of Modern Warfare, but lacks any charm, the missions are repetitive, way too linear and predictable, the characters and the story are soulless, they missed completely the possibility of gameplay and atmosphere that a game located in Afghanistan can achieve.

Sounds like I should install this turd and check it out!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Dayz standalone tomorrow?

Hopefully. But yeah it looks like their milking this one while they can.

I don't own any ARMA games, so I'm tempted to pick up the ARMA X: Anniversary Edition for $10.

Tenrius

Ok, been playing Assassin's Creed 4 about five hours now. I'm done. What a tedious boring piece of shit game.

How far into it are you? I just got the ship and I think it's pretty great. There was a lot of the usual AC fluff in Havana, but it was slightly more enjoyable than usual. I really like the story and the atmosphere, personally (and I'm not, by any means, an AC fan).

Jzero

Lol i love the title of this thread.

Ok, been playing Assassin's Creed 4 about five hours now. I'm done. What a tedious boring piece of shit game.

Damn it, it's taking me days to download(through the piece of shit that Uplay is). I hope i'm not as disappointed. Either way, i didn't pay for it.

ArjanN

At what price you sell your foils? Do you undercut other people to get to the top? Or are you fine with being in the first page?

I ask this because my foils have been on the top half of the first page of their market entries for months and they still don't sell, even though they aren't that much pricier than the cheapest cards available.

I just use the old Price Is Right strategy of undercutting by 1 cent.

MRORANGE

I've mentioned it before, but Steam should just release a low cost streaming decoder with onboard itx x86 cpu/gpu to run the OS client.

Join me.

R1AJ2NO.png
JNb6spp.png
MMvB9V1.png
oZSbORn.png

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I would too. I have most of the parts for my own streaming solution. But low power consumption would be worth sacrificing some functionality for.

We really do need more 5 volt small-in-box computers. My Raspberry Pi is amazing, but there's only so much it can do.

Momentary

Banned
I was so excited to finally get through that awful Havana section in the very beginning and get to the pirating stuff today and then...the ps4 dies. It's like a cruel joke at this point.

You told me not to buy AC4! Arrrrrrgh!!! Now I missed the preorder bonuses.

Tenrius

Again, if somebody's also getting into ACIV, please add me on Uplay. It has some single-player online features, which are supposed to be pretty useful and even they weren't, I'd like to try them out. My Uplay username is the same, Tenrius. You have to press "Friends" → "Find Friends" in the Uplay client and enter it there.

I didn't see what all the complaining about trading card prices were before, but holy cow. Guys, guys stahp. Like. . . why even bother at that point? Ooo, I sold one for 9 cents!
m8klyIw.png

Colin.

I've mentioned it before, but Steam should just release a low cost streaming decoder with onboard itx x86 cpu/gpu to run the OS client.

That was my initial thoughts when I found out about Steam boxes. Having some kind of low cost device hooked up to your TV, that would stream the games via your PC. I feel like there would be more of a market for that than the regular Steam boxes themselves.

Also, got to give the dualshock 4 a try. thumbsticks were a bit small, but it was an overall improvement in every way to previous Playstation controllers. I feel sorry for anyone getting a PS4 on launch if games like Knack are the big selling point. Really dull and repetitive, the kind of game I wouldn't even BTA for in a bundle. Hope stores set up Xbox One's soon as well, then I can decide on a new PC controller, once launch price madness declines.

A streaming decoder should just be a H.264+AAC Decoder. Shouldn't need much of anything with a little bit of CPU and a little bit of OS, and hopefully a 1000BaseT port. Bluetooth antenna maybe to send inputs back to the host computer as joystick inputs?

That's likely why Valve isn't nailing their Steambox spec to a door and calling it a day. They want the option of high-powered Linux boxes that can run the new and shiny, and they also want cheap streaming boxes that are just accessories. If the latter proves popular enough, then they'll make a simpler, cheaper version.

maty

All the talk about foils and I have yet to get one after 87 games :/

I did get several booster packs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom