• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

It's worth appreciating that the big twist in Arkham City (clayface posing as the joker) is actually cleverly taking advantage of the Batman mythos rather than throwing it under the bus.

From what the blurb I read about him, it sounds like, due to his acting background, he would really like to take on a role like that.

Who he is portraying would be one of the most difficult acting challenges of his life.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Keep dreaming, never going to happen
not sure why not

If by some miracle I get lucky with Ubi vis-a-vis Tintin and King Kong, I'll try my luck with DI.

you_have_to_bite_it.gif

I can't picture Sherlock the same way now.

I've never seen Sherlock so the cognitive dissonance doesn't bother me. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
8k6886a.png

I played this. Frustrating checkpoints, bad gunpoint, iron sight shotguns, no enemy variety, terrible enemy AI that breaks the game's poor stealth mechanics, awful cover system, 100% linear levels, no collectibles, no alternate objectives. Just walk forward, shoot, walk forward. In a few levels you need to press A in front of missile to put C4 on it, the C4 just appears. No story, no human protagonist carriers other than Mickey Rourke who mostly just swears to himself for no reason the entire game. Monster closet enemies. Some stupid glitches--enemies that are spawning on a rope or in a vehicle are invincible so you can blow up the vehicle and the enemies do their dismount animations without taking damage as it explodes. Muzzle flash is really low res sprites.

I could never get aim sensitivity right, no subtitle options, no vsync option in game. The ending is abrupt; Mickey Rourke blows up some soviet missiles and walks out of a sub bay. He hops into a speed boat driven by Americans. He says "took you motherfuckers long enough". Then the guy in the speedboard says "I heard you lost two good men in that mission. I'm sorry." (they died in the intro cg) Then mickey rourke says "not as sorry as those motherfuckers", camera pan to exploding Soviet base. Cut to a Mickey Rourke soundboard rapping over the end credits. I actually don't get what happened plot-wise. You get dumped in North Korea. You kill some North Koreans and blow up some shit. You get told not to go to Russia. You go to Russia and find out Russia is supplying North Korea with missiles. You blow up some more shit. End of game.

If I had played on easy and thus died less I suspect this is about a 100-110 minute long game. Don't bother playing it. There's funny-bad and then there's just dull-bad and this is definitely dull-bad. And it's not like Aliens where it's a high budget failure, this is just a duffer game made quickly by a small time. Very low impact.

Edit: Oh, also difficulty achievements don't stack.

I've never seen Sherlock so the cognitive dissonance doesn't bother me. :p

The term you're looking for isn't cognitive dissonance (capacity to square opposing premises in order to reconcile previously held opinions) but rather intertextuality or intertextual bleed.

JaseC

The term you're looking for isn't cognitive dissonance (capacity to square opposing premises in order to reconcile previously held opinions) but rather intertextuality or intertextual bleed.

Cognitive dissonance arises from the incapacity to reconcile contradictory beliefs/ideas/opinions. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cognitive dissonance arises from the incapacity to reconcile contradictory beliefs/ideas/opinions. :p

Well, it's both. It's when you've got the contradictory facts, and it's the process of how your brain deals with those contradictory facts in such a way to make them not contradict.

DocSeuss

Deadpool is the nineties, when self aware humor still seemed like a great idea. His brand of 'edginess' feels antiquated.

Deadpool's problem isn't that he's outdated--I've gone back and read his older comics. They're still good.

The problem is that Daniel Way, who took over the character with the most recent comic, isn't nearly as good at writing Deadpool as Nicieza/Brown/Simone... or, most importantly, Kelly.

Watching that Spider-Man cartoon recently and catching the episode Kelly wrote with Deadpool was kind of eye-opening. He's so much better there than he is in the recent comics. So much darker.

New guy just does silly random things, as if he's being written by a 16 year old. No dark undertones, no genuine attempts at heroics marred by a severely damaged psyche. Just silly/wacky for the sake of being wacky.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
8k6886a.png

I played this. Frustrating checkpoints, bad gunpoint, iron sight shotguns, no enemy variety, terrible enemy AI that breaks the game's poor stealth mechanics, awful cover system, 100% linear levels, no collectibles, no alternate objectives. Just walk forward, shoot, walk forward. In a few levels you need to press A in front of missile to put C4 on it, the C4 just appears. No story, no human protagonist carriers other than Mickey Rourke who mostly just swears to himself for no reason the entire game. Monster closet enemies. Some stupid glitches--enemies that are spawning on a rope or in a vehicle are invincible so you can blow up the vehicle and the enemies do their dismount animations without taking damage as it explodes. Muzzle flash is really low res sprites.

I could never get aim sensitivity right, no subtitle options, no vsync option in game. The ending is abrupt; Mickey Rourke blows up some soviet missiles and walks out of a sub bay. He hops into a speed boat driven by Americans. He says "took you motherfuckers long enough". Then the guy in the speedboard says "I heard you lost two good men in that mission. I'm sorry." (they died in the intro cg) Then mickey rourke says "not as sorry as those motherfuckers", camera pan to exploding Soviet base. Cut to a Mickey Rourke soundboard rapping over the end credits. I actually don't get what happened plot-wise. You get dumped in North Korea. You kill some North Koreans and blow up some shit. You get told not to go to Russia. You go to Russia and find out Russia is supplying North Korea with missiles. You blow up some more shit. End of game.

If I had played on easy and thus died less I suspect this is about a 100-110 minute long game. Don't bother playing it. There's funny-bad and then there's just dull-bad and this is definitely dull-bad. And it's not like Aliens where it's a high budget failure, this is just a duffer game made quickly by a small time. Very low impact.

Edit: Oh, also difficulty achievements don't stack.

Bummer, I guess I'll pass the game over in my Family Sharing backlog.

Colin.

Tried out Retro/grade there for a bit, and my initial impressions are that it's pretty good. Bought it on a whim during the last hour of the sale, and it looks like I wont regret it. Fairly tough, and I'm not even playing on a high difficulty lol. Will play through the campaign on rhythm, then try it again on shooter.

I managed to hit the 200 cap on items sold in the community market. I don't think I'm going to report the 10 dollars profit I've made to the IRS.

I managed to hit the 200 cap on items sold in the community market. I don't think I'm going to report the 10 dollars profit I've made to the IRS.
I'm to 144, something tells me that I won't be hitting that milestone this year. Next year might be different since I only started Steam gaming again in August.

Tried out Retro/grade there for a bit, and my initial impressions are that it's pretty good. Bought it on a whim during the last hour of the sale, and it looks like I wont regret it. Fairly tough, and I'm not even playing on a high difficulty lol. Will play through the campaign on rhythm, then try it again on shooter.
Don't forget the challenge mode. That's the game's strength if you ask me.

C4rter

Reached this cap myself one, two weeks ago and wanted to sell more so I filled out the form. I don't think I have to pay anything to the IRS if I'm not from the US, right?

Reached this cap myself one, two weeks ago and wanted to sell more so I filled out the form. I don't think I have to pay anything to the IRS if I'm not from the US, right?

Correct, if you are not from the US you don't have to do anything, just fill the form.

Backlogger

Maybe its the bundle I bought today, but for some reason I felt like installing all the racing games I'm never played. Any recommendations on where to start? I remember hearing that Burnout Paradise is pretty good.

ppohJr9.png

Maybe its the bundle I bought today, but for some reason I felt like installing all the racing games I'm never played. Any recommendations on where to start? I remember hearing that Burnout Paradise is pretty good.

ppohJr9.png

From that list I can tell you that Burnout Paradise and Race 07 are great, please use a gamepad!

JaseC

Codemasters need to get its shit together and come out with an F1 game that isn't totally buggy.

Dirt 2 is quite fun.

And I want Wheelman to come back! ;)

Edit: The Groupees Oozi keys activate the beta sub. That's... interesting, although it doesn't contain a distinct beta app so technically there's no difference between it and the store sub.

MNC

I am now feeling the power of the source engine.

Or rather lack thereof. I have no problem with the visuals, but the archaic way of handling settings or loading a level is frustrating. I wanted to try CSGO yesterday and had to wait about 7 minutes after joining a server for it to initalize world. Not wanting to wait another 7 minutes, I'd figure I would lower some settings. That in turn took 2 minutes after applying.

How can this be? I have an i5-2540k and 4gigs. Shouldn't that be enough?

its a laptop. Im saving up for a desktop.

JaseC

Or rather lack thereof. I have no problem with the visuals, but the archaic way of handling settings or loading a level is frustrating. I wanted to try CSGO yesterday and had to wait about 7 minutes after joining a server for it to initalize world. Not wanting to wait another 7 minutes, I'd figure I would lower some settings. That in turn took 2 minutes after applying.

Could be hard drive trouble. An initial map load in CS:GO takes my PC no longer than 30 seconds or so to complete (7200rpm HDD); any other levels loaded in the same instance complete in about half that at most.

Knurek

Yeah, this is really immersion-breaking whenever I want to play Black Mesa - having to wait a minute for it to load a section that can be cleared in 15 minutes tops is redonculous.

What the hell am I playing, a Commodore 64 game?

I'm on a laptop designed for battery life and source runs decently.
Maybe hard drive issues? Or video driver issues?

Edit: especially if it runs Nvidia's Optimus. Get those updates.

Sounds like you might want to buy an SSD. And also a desktop. I had the exact same problem on my laptop, it took about 3 minutes to load into a level of L4D2.

wazoo

I do not like the fact the Lego Indiana jones have not be on sale for months and are not availailable on amazon.com

I feel bad about Disney owning them.

JaseC

I do not like the fact the Lego Indiana jones have not be on sale for months and are not availailable on amazon.com

I feel bad about Disney owning them.

Disney is just waiting until it sends Valve Lego Pirates, so it can have a 75% off Lego Indy/Pirates bonanza.

In a perfect world, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom