• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am now feeling the power of the source engine.

Or rather lack thereof. I have no problem with the visuals, but the archaic way of handling settings or loading a level is frustrating. I wanted to try CSGO yesterday and had to wait about 7 minutes after joining a server for it to initalize world. Not wanting to wait another 7 minutes, I'd figure I would lower some settings. That in turn took 2 minutes after applying.

How can this be? I have an i5-2540k and 4gigs. Shouldn't that be enough?

its a laptop. Im saving up for a desktop.

I have a core duo and 4gigs of ddr2 ram and I load those maps in like 10 seconds.

OrangeOak

Maybe its the bundle I bought today, but for some reason I felt like installing all the racing games I'm never played. Any recommendations on where to start? I remember hearing that Burnout Paradise is pretty good.

ppohJr9.png

GT Legends and GTR2 are both awesome.I would say that both of these games are top PC sims.Nice driving model,day/night cycle,great track and cars selection,tunning options,good sound and both of these games look really nice even today due to it's natural lighting and PC IQ.Driving during day-night transition is really great.There are also texture mods and other mods like tracks and cars.You need a wheel for these games though.It's playable with gamepad but it's much more fun with a wheel.

wazoo

Disney is just waiting until it sends Valve Lego Pirates, so it can have a 75% off Lego Indy/Pirates bonanza.

I own Lego Pirates on amazon, with some securom check, better than nothing.

Worse, I have to pay insane money for having Undercover on WiiU, what a bad world we live in.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I misremembered slightly, sorry:

Will there be a possibility that this will have a discount during the winter sale?

We're putting it on sale Day 1, 20% off right off the bat! We'll see when we put it on sale next. I recommend everyone to pick it up December 5. Obviously we're just after your hard-earned cash as soon as possible. ;)

...or rather: SteamWorld Dig WILL be in the GOTY discussions, and we want you to be able to tell all your friends that you're so savvy that you knew this was coming and decided to support this sweet little dev immediately. You'll hear yourself saying "Remember who told you they were going to be great."

If you're feeling lucky, you could roll the dice, but given that second sentence, I wouldn't recommend it!

JaseC

Trying to remember what I know about Steamworld.

Very fun, but short and not much content?

Or is that something else?

HLTB has an average of 5.5 hours for the main campaign and an additional 1.5 for the completionist approach (which seems like a low premium to me).

HLTB has an average of 5.5 hours for the main campaign and an additional 1.5 for the completionist approach (which seems like a low premium to me).

Yeah it does seem low for a game of this type. Reading a few reviews seems to confirm it ends rather abruptly without much point returning to areas.

Will all depend on price and discounts from here.

JaseC

Yeah it does seem low for a game of this type. Reading a few reviews seems to confirm it ends rather abruptly without much point returning to areas.

Will all depend on price and discounts from here.

Assuming it's $15, the 20% early bird discount would knock it down to $12, which should equate to $6~$7 on Steam RU.

Tizoc

I misremembered slightly, sorry:

If you're feeling lucky, you could roll the dice, but given that second sentence, I wouldn't recommend it!

Heh no worries, I usually prefer getting games DRM-free like from gog.com, so if it's on gog.com I'll prob. get it from there.

JaseC

JaseC
Level 39

I do have a few badges, though! Special badges aside (e.g. Pillar of the Community and the Steam Summer Getaway badges), my interest in them fizzled out rather quickly and I just maxed out the ones I'd started; Port Royale 3 being the exception as I was dealing :weed:.

I only ever crafted a TF2 badge at the start of the trading card beta but I'm glad I ended it there. I gathered enough cards to max out a Binding of Isaac badge but I knew if I went through with it I would have a compulsion about maxing out every game I liked. I ain't got the time or money for that.

So I'm pretty happy with having pocketed the card earnings.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I've done a few badges, I used to enjoy crafting ones for games I liked, but after the disappointing Psychonauts badges I decided to leave it. Just did one for Gunpoint though because why not.

I like to create badges for the games that I geniuely enjoy or are hard to get. I never spent actual money on cards, I just sold the ones that were repeated or I just didn't care for.

I recently crafted the Cherry Tree High Club badge and sold the background for R$ 2,00 (aprox. US$ 0,90) and used that money for games =p

Arthea

Is it possible on steam to check how many people play a game online at given moment of time? And if a game shows no "in game" numbers, does it mean nobody plays it or not all games are tracked. I was curious about it for some time.

I'm more surprised background stuff actually has price

Some backgrounds are rare and more expensive than others, but I never sold more expensive ones, I think, only cheapest and ones of really popular games.

Caerith

Is it possible on steam to check how many people play a game online at given moment of time? And if a game shows no "in game" numbers, does it mean nobody plays it or not all games are tracked. I was curious about it for some time.
Enhanced Steam adds this to the store page of each game.

JaseC

EB Games AU is reportedly hiking up the price of USD$50 Steam codes to AUD$60, and in doing so will make them enticing only to those who have in-store credit to waste.

Steam Charts and Steam Graph. Enhanced Steam pulls data form the former and displays it on store pages.

Saty

I also played Batman and got an achievement Offline. A notification popped up immediately just as usual. The date and time of it being unlocked is the first time i went back online after that.

TWD does neither and just doesn't count completing achievements offline.

Arthea

EB Games AU is reportedly hiking up the price of USD$50 Steam codes to AUD$60, and in doing so will make them enticing only to those who have in-store credit to waste.

Steam Charts and Steam Graph. Enhanced Steam pulls data form the former and displays it on store pages.

Are there any reasons behind price increase?

Thanks!

You also can see the figure under each game's Community Hub.

Not all games unfortunately and in game, doesn't mean people play online, in single-multi games.

Jawmuncher

I'm kind of glad that achievements are kind of an after thought on Steam.
They're still there for those who care but it's nice that for people modding or using cheats in SP games and the like don't really have to worry about them popping up and ruining their account or something.

JaseC

Are there any reasons behind price increase?

Thanks!

EB is blaming the AUD, but USD$50 = ~AUD$55 (which is the current price of the codes; they were bumped up from AUD$50 after the Summer Sale) and has done so for months.

Li Kao

Hello post-sale Gaf !!!
Freezing to death here in France...

So just a quick question, do you think Starbound is worth it in its state ? I was glued to Terraria for what it's worth.

What's new ? No developments on the streaming front ?

I'm kind of glad that achievements are kind of an after thought on Steam.
They're still there for those who care but it's nice that for people modding or using cheats in SP games and the like don't really have to worry about them popping up and ruining their account or something.
What I enjoy most about Steam's achievement implementation is that they're there and easily accessible for those that like it, and really easy to ignore for those that don't. Aside from not being able to turn off the notifications I'm pretty happy with it, and they don't do things like having a tally of them at all times next to your name like the levels on PS and gamerscore on Xbox. Unfortunately they did do that for badge acquisition though, but I'm hoping that's just because they're the new and shiny thing in the Steam umbrella right now and will be less prominent as time passes.

Jawmuncher

What I enjoy most about Steam's achievement implementation is that they're there and easily accessible for those that like it, and really easy to ignore for those that don't. Aside from not being able to turn off the notifications I'm pretty happy with it, and they don't do things like having a tally of them at all times next to your name like the levels on PS and gamerscore on Xbox. Unfortunately they did do that for badge acquisition though, but I'm hoping that's just because they're the new and shiny thing in the Steam umbrella right now and will be less prominent as time passes.

Completely agree.
Also as the badges get older they'll turn into less of a deal.
I personally was pretty nuts for them early on but now I could care less. Going to get my level 40 and call it quits after that.

Hello post-sale Gaf !!!
Freezing to death here in France...

So just a quick question, do you think Starbound is worth it in its state ? I was glued to Terraria for what it's worth.

What's new ? No developments on the streaming front ?

Do you have a problem with possible crashes, unoptimezed game, missing features and other things common in betas? If yes wait for the game receive more updates or being officially released.

JaseC

Buying games don't give you that much XP. I have 150 games and I'm only Level 6 lol.

My badge tells me I've earned 2,390 XP from buying games, but I'm not sure how many levels that figure translates to exactly (assuming a starting level of 1) as the XP needed for the next level gradually increases as you level up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom