• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where to post this - found it on reddit:

A dev is able to mark Steam reviews as off-topic/abusive to collapse/hide them and purge the steam community forums for arbitrary reasons

A short story about Train Simulator 2014 and the devs.

When TS2014 was released there were many complaints from the userbase. Every pre-patch achievement was deleted (some of them take days to unlock) and there were some technical difficulties. The steam community discussion section became the place where users shared their opinions and complaints.

Suddenly the devs decided to purge the entire discussions forum - every thread that hadn't been made by devs was deleted. Among the things that were lost were beginners guides and walkthroughs, suggestions for dealing with the bugs and technical/connection issues, level creator tutorials and many other very useful pieces of information.

Here you can read the dev's announcement.

After they purged the forums many users expressed disbelief. As it turns out since October at the last day of the month the forums are purged. Everything is being lost again. There was a thread about it here but it was deleted. You can still see that the oldest posts are from December 1st.

What is more the devs try to hide negative reviews of the game /screenshot --fullpage mirror in case this too gets deleted after being posted on reddit. Look at the reviews tab.

...read the rest on reddit.

I actually like the new user review system in Steam, but that developers can hide reviews is somehow counter-productive, right? I have to think instantly about 'Infestation: Survivor Stories' and the whole mambo jambo it was.

Ben652

A couple of weeks ago there was a glitch that increased peoples game count, mine increased with about 800-900 (increased game count = increased xp).
When the glitch was fixed any level gained was kept, but the extra xp was not, so maybe you really should be at lvl 33 and have 200xp to lvl 34?
Or maybe It's some other bug completely...

Ah, I see. Thanks alot for explaining it!

A bit late but in the topic of games badges I like the ones from Unholy Heights, they are cute:

b4a041ed5b960519a3aad9522b624363168bed18.png
ecbfb12405bfc19526d6379bab3dae715953ff5d.png
d7eee37297b5b1e4fe7dc32741c49db541df927c.png
3f9ed16758e1afa680cd9a9efa04585fd264846e.png
948b19493155143ee4373c92881333cf9b29e3d8.png
2f8a4dbb7694e3a6d7ad8646bf47812e402464f6.png

I've been using this one as my profile background:

rav

But I'm currently at level 34 and need 600XP for the next level.
Yes, there was a bug a while back that added a bunch of games to everyone's accounts (non-playable games) everyone got and then lost that XP for those games, but kept the level.
Your next level 35 will take 400XP for the next level.

FloatOn

I wouldn't say Risen 2 was awful. There is an entertaining game under the clunkiness if you are a fan of bad euro RPGs.

I played the first one to completion and actually enjoyed it despite it's jank. Risen 2 took it to a whole other level.

The smaller islands ruined the crafted world design of the first game.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I actually like the new user review system in Steam, but that developers can hide reviews is somehow counter-productive, right? I have to think instantly about 'Infestation: Survivor Stories' and the whole mambo jambo it was.
At first I was concerned; then I saw that these reviews aren't being removed, and users still have the ability to see them. That's pretty much the best-case scenario here. Trolls are everywhere, and I think devs should have some ability to filter out garbage. But since potential customers can still see how many people found the review helpful and judge the content for themselves, underhanded devs/pubs can't just make valid complaints completely disappear.

The community forum purging is much shittier, but AFAIK that's nothing new.

I've got a coupon for -50% off of POSTAL and a coupon for -90% off of Space Trader: Merchant Marine. Anyone want them?

Bonus points if I can get some Skyrim cards in return, since I'm on level 4 for that game right now. But I'm in a good mood, so if you want to buy one of those games, the coupon's yours regardless.

finishing up War for Cybertron, pretty solid game. High Moon did a pretty good job with the various personalities IMO. game play is a little repetitive, but it's Transformers...so I don't care.

Just waiting for Fall of Cybertron to drop that MSRP to pick it up.

Man I would kill for a Transformers game post-Cybertron that doesn't suck.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
At first I was concerned; then I saw that these reviews aren't being removed, and users still have the ability to see them. That's pretty much the best-case scenario here. Trolls are everywhere, and I think devs should have some ability to filter out garbage. But since potential customers can still see how many people found the review helpful and judge the content for themselves, underhanded devs/pubs can't just make valid complaints completely disappear.

The community forum purging is much shittier, but AFAIK that's nothing new.

I agree that this is best solution and if you see the steam comments on some groups you just can't disagree.

ZeroCoin

Another code dump. I'll probably have one more set of codes to give away in a bit.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cogs -- MB-75E3FE7BAFA92351 - Taken by MakeshiftChef
Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-A556D71A308C4592 - Taken by Jawmuncher
Avadon: The Black Fortress -- MB-82674D7E0F58B93E - Taken by Gravelord_Nito
The Showdown Effect -- MB-5A1C20BFEE845C62 - Taken by SSPssp
Zen Bound 2 -- MB-A60F83CC7B755E88 - Taken by AScotAbroad
Waking Mars -- MB-A741E2C976F5688C - Taken by Boss Doggie - Taken by Chairmanchuck

The_Monk

Just finished Batman Arkham Asylum fellow GAFfers:

08TzpdJ.png

This time, I won't be leaving some impressions like I usually do because I've seen many people have already finished or even 100% the game but I would like to say that this is a great game to play during the Halloween.

The atmosphere is just a great fit for Halloween. The island give a nice dark and creepy mood but not in a scary way. The soundtrack is also great.

I've had this game for so much time, then I saw the bundle and was reminded that I should finish this, I'm glad I did. Like always, +1 Finished game (first one in December) -1 in the Backlog! :)

Iseeyou

Banned

08TzpdJ.png

This time, I won't be leaving some impressions like I usually do because I've seen many people have already finished or even 100% the game but I would like to say that this is a great game to play during the Halloween.

The atmosphere is just a great fit for Halloween. The island give a nice dark and creepy mood but not in a scary way. The soundtrack is also great.

I've had this game for so much time, then I saw the bundle and was reminded that I should finish this, I'm glad I did. Like always, +1 Finished game (first one in December) -1 in the Backlog! :)

tsk tsk, you didn't even touch the challenge maps.

ZeroCoin

Not a big deal. Better than buying a game that you already owned (just did that a few weeks ago with System Shock 2). Anyway, here's the Waking Mars code again.

Jawmuncher

08TzpdJ.png

I got the platinum for it back on PS3.
I just want to add that I thought the final boss fight was cool. Especially the transformation. Really don't get why so many people hate it concept wise.
I can understand disliking the way the boss fight plays however.

I'm curious about Waking Mars. Is it an Adventure game?
Developers describe it as action gardening. Has some nice emergent puzzles, you can learn by experimenting or read little data logs about the things you encounter. It's a nice game but isn't very taxing. It's quite a solitary game besides some radio comms.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Not a big deal. Better than buying a game that you already owned (just did that a few weeks ago with System Shock 2). Anyway, here's the Waking Mars code again.
Thanks for the key!

I'm curious about the game.

Developers describe it as action gardening. Has some nice emergent puzzles, you can learn by experimenting or read little data logs about the things you encounter. It's a nice game but isn't very taxing. It's quite a solitary game besides some radio comms.

Ah so in a sense it's a sim too?

The_Monk

I got the platinum for it back on PS3.
I just want to add that I thought the final boss fight was cool. Especially the transformation. Really don't get why so many people hate it concept wise.
I can understand disliking the way the boss fight plays however.

Well, I don't think I did a big fight with said boss to be honest. The boss was there, sure, but I was hoping for a bigger interaction between me and the boss (you know what I mean, I don't want to spoil things).

Jawmuncher

Another code dump. I'll probably have one more set of codes to give away in a bit.

Thanks for crayon physics deluxe.
It has both Crayons and Physics apparently can never have enough of that.

________________________________________________________________-

That Star Trek background is kick ass.
Next Generation was the best. Really want to see the new movies get to that time period.

Well, I don't think I did a big fight with said boss to be honest. The boss was there, sure, but I was hoping for a bigger interaction between me and the boss (you know what I mean, I don't want to spoil things).

Yeah I can understand that. Since it fits that character more in truth. I love making the post vague so we don't have to bother with spoiler tags

Ben652

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The 39 Steps -- MB-3825F21F3DC93FC9 - Taken by Saty

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Fellow gaffers there is a game on that post waiting to get picked. Looks good tbh but I already picked Avadon so wont be a dick and get it. Take it!!!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom