• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

It's also kinda $$$EXPENSIVE$$$, going rate around 4,5 euros!

Those are the best kind of backgrounds to have on display!

_____________________________________________________-

Just saw this on Twitter.
BausUX4CIAEUwhY.jpg:large

I would love to have cards with nonsense on them like that in the US

header_292x136.jpg

I got this when it was on sale over the Thanksgiving holiday and I just completed it for the first time. I have to say, it is not often you see a video game tackling such mature subject matter. The game play itself is fairly simple and easy, a mix of platforming and puzzle solving. The soundtrack for the game is quite good, I found myself really enjoying it and it added nicely to the game play. The game isn't very long as it only takes a few hours to beat it, and after you have beaten it there is an option to replay it to gather hats for the main character. If you have it I'd recommend a play through. I'm going to spoiler this next part in case someone isn't familiar with the themes present in the game and wishes to go in blind.
The game deals with an abusive father whose drug of choice is alcohol. As the game progresses the monster becomes more and more of a burden. This game had a rather profound affect on me as I too had to deal with an abusive alcoholic parent. One other thing, I let my sons play through the game as well. After they had finished I sat down with them and explained my personal experiences with this and I feel it was a good way for me to approach the subject matter with them. Sorry for all the personal crap here, sometimes things just need to be said.

Jawmuncher

header_292x136.jpg

I got this when it was on sale over the Thanksgiving holiday and I just completed it for the first time. I have to say, it is not often you see a video game tackling such mature subject matter. The game play itself is fairly simple and easy, a mix of platforming and puzzle solving. The soundtrack for the game is quite good, I found myself really enjoying it and it added nicely to the game play. The game isn't very long as it only takes a few hours to beat it, and after you have beaten it there is an option to replay it to gather hats for the main character. If you have it I'd recommend a play through. I'm going to spoiler this next part in case someone isn't familiar with the themes present in the game and wishes to go in blind.
The game deals with an abusive father whose drug of choice is alcohol. As the game progresses the monster becomes more and more of a burden. This game had a rather profound affect on me as I too had to deal with an abusive alcoholic parent. One other thing, I let my sons play through the game as well. After they had finished I sat down with them and explained my personal experiences with this and I feel it was a good way for me to approach the subject matter with them. Sorry for all the personal crap here, sometimes things just need to be said.

I grabbed it when it was a dollar on indiegamestand and am looking forward to playing it.
Mainly because of the theme's in which you presented. While I was never affected by such it, that sort of subject matter is interesting to handle especially in a game.
I think it's good you were able to get something out of the game and in return use it as a bit of a learning tool for your children.

Hesemonni

Banned
Found this lying around.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Closure -- MB-873EFD08ED69241B - Taken by Fuu

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not sure where to post this - found it on reddit:

A dev is able to mark Steam reviews as off-topic/abusive to collapse/hide them and purge the steam community forums for arbitrary reasons

...read the rest on reddit.

I actually like the new user review system in Steam, but that developers can hide reviews is somehow counter-productive, right? I have to think instantly about 'Infestation: Survivor Stories' and the whole mambo jambo it was.

well, that sucks. Guess I shouldn't install TS2014 that I bought for $10 and was all hot and bothered to ride the CHOO-CHOOs for. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If you were all hot for it, give it a try, no harm done there, try to get your money's worth of fun out of it.

I'm slightly angry that the one rail-line I wanted to ride (San Diego) isn't included in the based/"Steam edition" game. Add in that apparently the Steam edition WANTS you to buy DLC for scenarios included in the base game, and eep.

I wish I had known when it was on the flash sale and I bought it then. Otherwise I would've skipped over it.

webrunner

here's a question
We know that the % off on the sales will be the same in both the autumn and winter sales

but do we know if
a) some games that didn't go on a daily/flash in autumn may go on sale during winter?
b) games that came out between the two, such as starbound, would have a possibility of going on sale?

KarmaCow

here's a question
We know that the % off on the sales will be the same in both the autumn and winter sales

but do we know if
a) some games that didn't go on a daily/flash in autumn may go on sale during winter?
b) games that came out between the two, such as starbound, would have a possibility of going on sale?

Pretty sure all we know is from that leaked email so your interpretation is about as good as the next person.

Krystof Koreni

Neo Member
Basic Steam question:

Is there a way to determine which game in your library will be the Steam Client's default highlighted selection each time it opens?

Turfster

here's a question

but do we know if

We don't know anything, but since the winter sale lasts a lot longer, it makes sense more games will go on daily/flash.

Grief.exe

finishing up War for Cybertron, pretty solid game. High Moon did a pretty good job with the various personalities IMO. game play is a little repetitive, but it's Transformers...so I don't care.

Just waiting for Fall of Cybertron to drop that MSRP to pick it up.

Man I would kill for a Transformers game post-Cybertron that doesn't suck.

What is High Moon up to these days?

tsk tsk, you didn't even touch the challenge maps.

Why would it matter that he did those challenge maps? So he can prove he has big cajones?

It's also kinda $$$EXPENSIVE$$$, going rate around 4,5 euros!

This is why I just can't comprehend why a developer/publisher would completely half-ass their backgrounds.

You could make some serious money. The good backgrounds sell for $5-$10 a pop and you make a cut off of each sale.

I guess for a huge publisher this would be a drop in the bucket. See: Sleeping Dogs backgrounds and badges, probably one of the worst examples.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
FF VIII is out

http://store.steampowered.com/app/39150/

What is this
Magic Booster

When Magic Booster is used, the player’s inventory of the following spells is increased by 100:

Cure, Cura, Curaga, Fire, Fira, Blizzard, Blizzara, Thunder, Thundara, Sleep, Blind, Silence, Berserk, Bio, Esuna, Aero, Confuse, Break, Zombie
Oh my god, they added a feature to make drawing spells less of a hassle.

ZeroCoin

New giveaway for a new page. Still have the showdown effect available from a previous giveaway.... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92510554&postcount=7554

This will finish all the keys I have left. I'd love to give away system shock 2, but I accidentally bought it for myself from the humble store and can only redeem directly to a steam account. Oh well.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP -- MB-C6C63C72BA18275A - Taken by Jawmuncher
Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-8C3E1C2D4A6E6C60 - Taken by Backlogger
NightSky -- MB-BF317AFD12BACDFB - Taken by Mr. Poolman
Splice -- MB-BE26CEBE4152F7C4 - Taken by KenOD
Dungeon Defenders Plus All DLC -- MB-82C53C283BF88DD6 - Taken by AScotAbroad

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Final Fantasy VIII - no mention of needing a Square Enix account. I wonder if it's required like 7 was, or if it's purely Steam DRM?

Also really excited about the achievements. Totally going to 100% this one.

zkylon

zkylewd
before twilight, there was ff8

ff9 I might actually buy

but probably not, I'd rather just play it on emulator and speed up grinding

maty

After many attempts, I finally got the Low Scorer achievement in Spelunky so now that I got that out of the way I can enjoy the game again and start my hell and back playthrough.

Spelunky is already my 3rd most played game on steam, it will probably get to 2nd place, but it's going to be tough fight between Spelunky and Killing Floor. Binding of Isaac still on top.

Jawmuncher

Small Giveaway for the games I have received here as of late

ModBot said:
Instructions for Jawmuncher:
Deleted the modbot link YOU HAVE TO WORK HARD TO SEND THAT PM FOR THESE GAMES

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Clive Barker's Jericho -- MB-D5C3CCAA21C43998 - Taken by Cheddahz
Serious Sam 3 -- MB-E26952690B0B379F - Taken by The_Monk
Sanctum 2 -- MB-0E761C95617C452F - Taken by KenOD
Gary's Mod -- MB-08081D59D80C96A7 - Taken by Anustart

So I upped over the average for that WB bundle a while ago partially because I was interested in that Guardians of Middle Earth MOBA game. I've not played any MOBAs before, but I was interested because it sounded simplified (don't really have the time to learn DOTA), designed for a gamepad as my PC is hooked up in my living room, and I like the Lord of the Rings setting. After tooling around with it for a little while it does honestly seem like a game that I could enjoy, it's crazy dead online, which is a bit of a bummer for me. I'd hoped that the Humble Bundle might have brought in a new wave of players, but I've still never had a match yet with more than two other humans. Not feeling too bad since I still had an hour or two of fun messing around with bot matches, but a bit disappointed that I never actually was able to give it a shot with a full human match or two.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I swear, KF should lower their DLC prices

before twilight, there was ff8

ff9 I might actually buy

but probably not, I'd rather just play it on emulator and speed up grinding

Hey now.

FFVIII has mecha! Twilight can't beat that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom