• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Hmm. How did Wooden Sen'SeY make it on Steam?

Wow, $15 bucks? Okay. Glad I got it from that Groupees Greenlight bundle.

Jawmuncher

Recommended:
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU 3GHz or faster
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT or faster
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space
Sound Card: Integrated sound chip or more
wtf.gif

also yeah thoses cheevos lulz

I think someone went overboard on the recommended settings.

The End

Definitely adding FF8 to my wishlist. Having played it straight back in the day (and getting stuck underpowered in the Time Compression), I'm curious about completely breaking the junction system. Is there a good guide anyway? gamefaqs?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So apparently FF8 also requires a Square Enix account, just a heads up.

It seems that those of us that "went through the process" with Final Fantasy VII won't have to log in again as Steam is somehow storing your account credentials and passing them to SE automatically.

Additionally, the game uses a sub-standard MIDI soundtrack just like VII did on it's PC release.

So apparently FF8 also requires a Square Enix account, just a heads up.

It seems that those of us that "went through the process" with Final Fantasy VII won't have to log in again as Steam is somehow storing your account credentials and passing them to SE automatically.

Additionally, the game uses a sub-standard MIDI soundtrack just like VII did on it's PC release.
At least with FFVII, it's like Square forgot that you could install higher quality midi instruments in the original release or something. I love the PC FFVII OST for that reason. Without those samples it sounds like poop, yeah.

Seanspeed

Banned
So can anybody explain how the sound is actually downgraded in a 2013 PC port of a game from 1997?

Why? It seems Japanese developers really have some weird problems when it comes to PC gaming.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ah shit... FF8 is out already and I am still not done ff7 + 10 other titles.

Since your avatar is Ultros you should also be aware that an iOS / Android remake of Final Fantasy VI (with updated graphics) is rumored to be released before the end of the year.

So can anybody explain how the sound is actually downgraded in a 2013 PC port of a game from 1997?

Why? It seems Japanese developers really have some weird problems when it comes to PC gaming.

It's the exact same music as the original PC release. The PS1 version used a proprietary soundchip, so they weren't able to put as high fidelity audio into the PC release. So it's not that it's worse it's just worse than the PS1 version.

Grief.exe

Steamworld Dig is so clean and runs well. 60 FPS gameplay makes it so smooth, I wonder what the framerate was like on 3DS.

iKdeib0UZ5cpf.png

iFQxwzNZrxcmF.png

iOaMtojlEiyv6.png

It was the same way in the original PC port.

Mods are already available that fix this quite quickly, and they officially fixed it via patch for the Steam version of FFVII.

oipic

Gee, that Wooden Sen'SeY release was a stealthy one - I had been checking each list of Greenlit titles, a little puzzled by why it hadn't been given the nod... but I guess this (somewhat) explains that.

Can't find any word anywhere on keys for Groupees bundle purchasers, but here's hoping that's just a matter of time.

TheD

The Detective
Since your avatar is Ultros you should also be aware that an iOS / Android remake of Final Fantasy VI (with updated graphics) is rumored to be released before the end of the year.

It's the exact same music as the original PC release. The PS1 version used a proprietary soundchip, so they weren't able to put as high fidelity audio into the PC release. So it's not that it's worse it's just worse than the PS1 version.

But if this is like the new version of FFVII, it would be a recording of the PC's General MIDI soundtrack (in Ogg Vorbis) and thus no reason what so ever to not instead use a recording of the PS1's audio.

Edit: It seems like a few months back they patched in the PS1 audio for the FFVII Steam version, so I have no idea why they would repeat a mistake they made then corrected with the older game.

It's because most of them don't have much experience making PC games/ports and the publishers don't bother to invest in dedicated port teams because PC gaming is ultra-niche in Japan and they don't comprehend how widespread it is in the rest of the world.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Thanks FiveElementNinja for the Arkham Origins DLC.

btw I finally changed the FOV in Arkham Origins yesterday. Should've done this earlier. The normal FOV is disgusting.

Anyway, have some lame keys GAF:
What is the default fov in the arkham games? 8?

neoism

[/B]

woow thats not as bad as I thought it was going to be...

mrgone

Gee, that Wooden Sen'SeY release was a stealthy one - I had been checking each list of Greenlit titles, a little puzzled by why it hadn't been given the nod... but I guess this (somewhat) explains that.

Can't find any word anywhere on keys for Groupees bundle purchasers, but here's hoping that's just a matter of time.
I remember a few months back it just up and vanished from Greenlight, and it doesn't have the "Greenlit by the community" banner, but it also doesn't have a publisher listed. If it did have a publisher listed that too would be pretty strange as Paranautical Activity was shot down a while back for being on Greenlight when Adult Swim wanted to publish it. It's a mystery :) Spooky.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Its possible for foil cards to drop? I was under the impression you only got them from Booster Packs, but a foil card just dropped for me. Must be out of the loop.

jshackles

How does the Steam Achievement Manager works for cards ? Any downside ?

You don't get to play games that you might otherwise have skipped?

Steamworld Dig is so clean and runs well. 60 FPS gameplay makes it so smooth, I wonder what the framerate was like on 3DS.

It was the same way in the original PC port.

Mods are already available that fix this quite quickly, and they officially fixed it via patch for the Steam version of FFVII.

Steamworld Dig was 60 FPS on the 3DS as well.

maty

Its possible for foil cards to drop? I was under the impression you only got them from Booster Packs, but a foil card just dropped for me. Must be out of the loop.

Yes, they drop just like the regular cards. But I may not be very lucky since I haven't received one yet (after 89 games). :(

Caerith

Thanks, Spyrox, for Post Mortem!

It's because most of them don't have much experience making PC games/ports and the publishers don't bother to invest in dedicated port teams because PC gaming is ultra-niche in Japan and they don't comprehend how widespread it is in the rest of the world.
In this case, though, it's because S-E knows that releasing anything with "Final Fantasy" in the title will make them loads of money regardless of whether they put any effort into it.

maty

They are extremely rare it appears, I haven't got 1 dropped, got 1 in a booster. Been in it since Beta

Yeah I know they are rare, I was in the beta as well.

I find it funny how some people had 10+ foils dropped when others only 1 or none at all.

Someone told me after I made a post about ikaruga supporting vertical resolutions.

I want ikaruga now.

1080 x 1920 is a weird res, but good to know support exists. Pinball isn't enough.

zkylon

zkylewd
anyone knows if the sonic racing game is region-restricted or something? the free download link thingie doesn't work for me :|

Lain

Crafted some badges and got some discounts for games I'm not interested in, or not interested in getting now. They all expire on December 20. I'll list them if anyone here is interested in one:

-90% Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
-66% Speedrunners
-75% Crash Time II
-90% Crash Time II
-66% Eversion
-75% Delve Deeper
-25% Dungeon Hearts
-75% Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals
-50% No Time to Explain

w1lNWZP.jpg

(Sorry, but seriously tell me more about it)

It's good. Brutal, but still with a proper amount of reward for risk. You pretty much have to go for a melee focused build though to get past the first few days atm. Look frward to the full release with some more polish to the UI and a proper story.

Turfster

Particulars keys have been added to groupees Be Mine 9.
Doesn't activate yet, but it's nice to get one so far in advance for a change.

If anyone's interested in NEO Scavenger, here's my review of the game from about two months ago:
The raiders left you with nothing, nothing but the ragged clothes on your back and a glass shard. It had been foolish to rest in such an exposed location but the desperate search for shelter from the freezing rain had trumped your nagging exhaustion. And now your mistake had cost you dearly. Another night, another restless sleep in the rain. Hypothermia is a given now. Have to find shelter, real shelter, and supplies...or else death would be coming for you sooner rather than later.

Movement. A lone bandit in the distance. You hurriedly cover your tracks and hide. From your vantage point, you can see the rusted crowbar, the patchwork hide clothing, the backpack. Supplies, warm attire, weapons. The opportunity is too good to pass up.
---
That's just one moment from a typical NEO Scavenger playthrough. It's a bleak gritty post apocalyptic roguelike with a focus on realistic survival and it's one of the most intense and immersive experiences I've played in a while.

NEO Scavenger is a turn-based roguelike, set across a hex-based map, action menus, and text vignettes. That may not seem all that exciting, but it's the underlying gameplay mechanics that make the game stand out. Set in a world ravaged by supernatural occurrences and warfare, you awaken in an abandoned cryotube facility. Choose your traits and skills wisely, as different specializations open up new choices and options. (i.e. an Atheletic person can easily outrun enemies, but a person proficient in Hiding could more easily find cover and sneak away). Once you leave the facility, an expansive map is open to explore. How long you'll survive is another matter.

Sleep in the rain without a sleeping bag? Prepare to come down with severe hypothermia overnight or maybe you'll just freeze to death. Run away from bandits over treacherous terrain? Maybe you'll trip and break a rib. Forgo sleep and stay on the move? You'll pass out from exhaustion. Get cut in a fight? You'd better have painkillers and bandages to prevent the wound from getting infected. Forget to hide your tracks before sleeping? The raiders will have found you by morning. The wealth of options and variables to consider are astounding. Life is short and cheap, death is always lurking on the horizon. The combat is ruthless and brutal, akin to the quick violent encounters seen in The Road or No Country, and while the encounters are experienced through menus and text, you always have a wide array of tactics at your disposal, ranging from simply fleeing to trying to break line of sight and hide to forcing enemies to surrender or just surrendering yourself. Raiders and bandits are numerous and merciless, but the otherworldly creatures and mutants that roam the map are even more dangerous.

Despite being quite playable, NEO Scavenger is still in beta, with more areas, weapons, items, enemies, story vignettes to come. The developer regularly provides updates on what he's working on and adding, and the full game is set to release early 2014. A demo is also available.

If you bought Groupees Be Mine 9, there should be a Particulars Key in your account now. It's locked for now, but early access starts in about 15 hours from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom