• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oipic

IndieGameStand's new deal is FootLOL, which is among the most recent Greenlight batch. $1 will get you a Steam key in the future.

I can't vouch for its quality, but the concept sure is... different. Or perhaps just downright bizarre.

If, like me, you can't make sense of all the zaniness from the IndieGameStand or Greenlight pages, this video may be worth a watch. If, y'know, you have absolutely nothing else to do right now.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Since I'm still focusing on radio towers and crafting in FC3 I've only taken a few outposts for fast travel purposes so far, but it's so satisfying to wipe everyone out with a sniper rifle while hidden from afar.

There was one that was kind of funny. I used enhanced perception and could only see two guards in the outpost, which I lured out and killed from higher ground. I couldn't see anyone else and started to hear barking, which I assumed to be rabid dogs in the area. I started to run the other way and promptly used an animal repellant syringe, and when I went back I saw an entire pack of guard dogs barking at me unable to get close. I threw a couple of grenades and after they died the "outpost taken" animation played. It was amusing because until then I hadn't seen pirates using their own pets and didn't expect to see an outpost where 90% of the team were dogs, haha.

Also, fuck sharks. Nothing is more terrifying to me in underwater sections. I used guns from the ground to kill the four I needed for crafting the heavy duty wallet and the final holster, and even with them dead I got tense having to go under the water to skin them because another could get close.

Jawmuncher

So whatever happened to Sudeki releasing on Steam?
I know it was pulled up on the steam database apparently....Then again Ever17 was as well and there hasn't even been a whisper about that game as well.

Arthea

I can't vouch for its quality, but the concept sure is... different. Or perhaps just downright bizarre.

If, like me, you can't make sense of all the zaniness from the IndieGameStand or Greenlight pages, this video may be worth a watch. If, y'know, you have absolutely nothing else to do right now.

12.40 and later
That was hilarious. Now I kinda want this game (><)
If I ever have seen WTH game, this has to be one.
*pure chaos*

So whatever happened to Sudeki releasing on Steam?
I know it was pulled up on the steam database apparently....Then again Ever17 was as well and there hasn't even been a whisper about that game as well.

I didn't even know these were coming to steam. When was it? I mean when they appeared on steam database?

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

hahaha Thank you very much for posting this, I WANT THAT GAME.

FloatOn

morning steamgaf. I hope all is well with your gaming escapades and your weekend plans.

As much as I'd like to get Steamworld Dig (it looks really great) I feel as though it would be completely redundant to what I'm currently obsessed with
Starbound

Maybe some time down the line.

Tellaerin

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is ridiculously fun. Captures that "one more race" quality that used to make Sega's coin-op quarter munchers so addictive. Good stuff.

And with that, I'm off to (try to) sleep.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Since I'm still focusing on radio towers and crafting in FC3 I've only taken a few outposts for fast travel purposes so far, but it's so satisfying to wipe everyone out with a sniper rifle while hidden from afar.

There was one that was kind of funny. I used enhanced perception and could only see two guards in the outpost, which I lured out and killed from higher ground. I couldn't see anyone else and started to hear barking, which I assumed to be rabid dogs in the area. I started to run the other way and promptly used an animal repellant syringe, and when I went back I saw an entire pack of guard dogs barking at me unable to get close. I threw a couple of grenades and after they died the "outpost taken" animation played. It was amusing because until then I hadn't seen pirates using their own pets and didn't expect to see an outpost where 90% of the team were dogs, haha.

Also, fuck sharks. Nothing is more terrifying to me in underwater sections. I used guns from the ground to kill the four I needed for crafting the heavy duty wallet and the final holster, and even with them dead I got tense having to go under the water to skin them because another could get close.
I've approached the game pretty much the same way. I'm like 20 hours in and haven't even reached the second island.

SparkTR

Is there a reason why Korean writing is appearing in my Steam client?

c1Hi1ez.jpg

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
A little bit hacking and looting...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hacker Evolution Untold -- MB-22EC9A5F09DE8854 - Taken by JPizzle84. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Hack Slash Loot (Desura) -- MB-66246616B11F6ECD
Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-6DB0684B57A26161 - Taken by Fuu. 3 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality Hardcore Package 1 -- MB-28AB114D591D0480 - Taken by Iseeyou. 1 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-BB89C3C8BC224E98 - Taken by Timedog. 1 entrants total.
Hack Slash Loot -- MB-B56659742E118271 - Taken by Kifimbo. 2 entrants total.

t1386338698z1.png

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I've approached the game pretty much the same way. I'm like 20 hours in and haven't even reached the second island.
Yeah I'm just playing around in the huge, pretty sandbox, doing whatever feels fun and it's been great. I did 6 story missions and I'm not doing anymore for now. I'll eventually go back to them to unlock more skills but the meat of the game to me really is the roaming to explore, shoot things, collect, expand and upgrade.

Most of the time there's a feeling of "anything can happen" that I'm enjoying. In my second completed outpost there was a live bear in a cage, the first one I saw in the game. I threw a grenade to see if the cage would explode, it worked but that was obviously not enough to kill the bear and I had to deal with it. While I was at it, the Rakyat who had arrived started shooting at a pack of wild dingos that attacked them. All the noise attracted a group of pirates passing by who shot everyone outside, leaving me to dispose of them by myself and clean the mess.

It felt a bit overwhelmed at the beginning by convoys popping up on the roads and gunning me down but I got used to it pretty much after the first time it happened. Now when I meet pirates I just easily ignore them or kill them in the most entertaining way possible, either by stealth approaches or going crazy depending on my mood. The wildlife is also very amusing, it's hilarious when whatever the enemies are doing is interrupted by random tigers or leopards, haha.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
IndieGameStand's new deal is FootLOL, which is among the most recent Greenlight batch. $1 will get you a Steam key in the future.

Also, don't forget the game was in the Indie Royale Debut 6 Bundle.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Alright. Just bought Two Brothers. Pretty excited about it actually. But no one seems to be talking about it :(
We are all done with bro games after the recent indie hit Brothers A Tale of Two Sons made it abundantly clear that we will never reach the bro peak that was Marcus and Dom in Gears of War. Brothers to the end 4 life.

rtcn63

I dreamed of Gaben last night, briefly. In the dream, I was reading the wiki for that film Daybreak, the mediocre one with the vampires, and the skinny fella from Gattaca. The wiki noted a deleted scene of approx. 25 seconds, detailing a scene with Gaben. Supposedly he had a daughter, and she was born the same day a star appeared in the sky, the same day Gaben himself first introduced himself to the masses, the same day vampires starting existing on the Earth. The scene ended with Gaben standing at a campfire surrounded by children, looking down at a can of soda in his hand, acknowledging that this was all not coincidence.

Jawmuncher

I dreamed of Gaben last night, briefly. In the dream, I was reading the wiki for that film Daybreak, the mediocre one with the vampires, and the skinny fella from Gattaca. The wiki noted a deleted scene of approx. 25 seconds, detailing a scene with Gaben. Supposedly he had a daughter, and she was born the same day a star appeared in the sky, the same day Gaben himself first introduced himself to the masses, the same day vampires starting existing on the Earth. The scene ended with Gaben standing at a campfire surrounded by children, looking down at a can of soda in his hand, acknowledging that this was all not coincidence.

What in the hell.
If I had the means i'd animate this.

How does the Steam Achievement Manager works for cards ? Any downside ?

Yes, their webpage has a badge on it that says "This server is not run by faggots" :/.

w1lNWZP.jpg

(Sorry, but seriously tell me more about it)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700141

Faster than light is kicking my ass. I can make it to the final ship but then everything goes straight to hell.

is it better to upgrade your ship or save scrap and buy from the shop. What weapons do you recommend?

Fantastic game though.

It's supposed to kick your ass! :D

I think I read that the devs designed it so that the player would only finish the game about 20% of the time. I found that the game was such fun to play that I didn't mind at all if I died; I just restarted and tried again. I only found it frustrating after I had played scores of hours and had either been unlucky when trying for a particular result in the game e.g. unlocking a particular ship that has several stages to completion and a random element to whether any or all of them will appear in that particular playthrough or if I made a stupid rookie mistake when I should know better, which I did often :).

The final ship is a bitch until you know how to tackle it. Even getting there is an achievement if you are new to the game. I found the tips in the second link in this post really helpful:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89470519&postcount=1938

I recommend the first link too for tips on the game in general. I had been playing the game for oodles of hours when I read that but still picked up a trick or two. In general though I would say that the best way to improve your skills is just to play the game. You will naturally pick up strategies and ploys that improve your play that way and it's more satisfying too. One suggestion I would make though is that when you feel you're no longer improving, try new strategies/weapons/ships/layouts. I got stuck in a rut for ages and it was only when I left my comfort zone and tried new things that I finally beat the final boss for the first time. That was on Easy too :). Speaking of which, Easy is far from Easy. Don't be afraid to play it on Easy until you really get the hang of it. I've played it for 200 odd hours on Easy and now can pretty much finish it every playthrough. I would have done that on my first real try on Normal too but I just didn't have the right loadout to do so thanks to the random element of the game on that occasion just not giving me the chance to get what I needed to beat the final boss.

With regard to your question, that's almost impossible to answer as the game demands a pretty organic approach. I might start a game with a particular ship and loadout with a particular intention of what to upgrade, when and how but the way that particular playthrough unravels depending on which route I take and how the random elements play out means that I have to constantly re-evaluate and tweak or even change my plans. If you're getting to the final boss though then you're obviously got a strategy that's working so check the post I linked to above for tips on the final boss including what upgrades/weapons are most helpful and good luck!

Official Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491849

I'm glad you're enjoying the game :). A day when someone new realises the awesome that is FTL is a good day for me :D.

I was really hoping they'd get Metal Gear Rising out on Steam by now, it's almost a year since the game launched. It'd be nice if they followed it with Vanquish/Bayonetta but who knows...

Have there been other examples of games that were announced for PC but just never really turned up and were never really explained?

We are all done with bro games after the recent indie hit Brothers A Tale of Two Sons made it abundantly clear that we will never reach the bro peak that was Marcus and Dom in Gears of War. Brothers to the end 4 life.
That might be true, and as much as I want to talk about bros 4 life, I think this calls for a serious discussion. I mean, it's painfully obvious Valve needs to do something about it. Like redesigning the store and come up with the billion dollar solution that can support 100+ game release a month.

But nope, they're too busy making weird controllers and living room machines.

Bundlestars has a store too now, with deals up to 85% off.
Seriously, everyone needs to get The Book of Unwritten Tales! So good.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is ridiculously fun. Captures that "one more race" quality that used to make Sega's coin-op quarter munchers so addictive. Good stuff.

And with that, I'm off to (try to) sleep.
It's amazing how much difference in quality there is between Transformed and the original Sonic/SEGA Racing (which I loathed).

Then there's a whole new level of fun waiting to be had once you start acing the tracks at S-rank.

Sega racing feels... floaty. The cars feel like they don't have weight. The transformation gimmick is seemless but at the cost of making the tracks feel lacking and the physics being unsure if it wants to be an arcade racer. The only real appeal for it is if you're sick with Mario characters really, and even then it's a substandard replacement.

I still think the best kart racer is CTR.
Something does feel a little off when you're just starting out and used to other kart racers, but once you 'master' all of the game's mechanics and once you get familiar with the controls at higher ranks it really clicks. I also thought it was clunky at first.

Zia

I was really hoping they'd get Metal Gear Rising out on Steam by now, it's almost a year since the game launched. It'd be nice if they followed it with Vanquish/Bayonetta but who knows...

It's strange, because Valve and Platinum seem to have a working relationship, but Platinum has delivered absolutely nothing. It's apparently taking them a year to port Rising?

Does anyone know if Pac-Man Museum is actually on for today? I thought I heard some time ago that today was the date? It'll be nice to have Championship Edition (one of my favorite games) on PC so that only RDR and Rez HD will have me tied to my dusty 360...

Edit: Wikipedia says that it's now 2014. Jeez.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does anyone know if Pac-Man Museum is actually on for today? I thought I heard some time ago that today was the date? It'll be nice to have Championship Edition (one of my favorite games) on PC so that only RDR and Rez HD will have me tied to my dusty 360...

Museum isn't due until next year.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That might be true, and as much as I want to talk about bros 4 life, I think this calls for a serious discussion. I mean, it's painfully obvious Valve needs to do something about it. Like redesigning the store and come up with the billion dollar solution that can support 100+ game release a month.

But nope, they're too busy making weird controllers and living room machines.
There is no way to do it. The only solution is to release fewer games, but that made indie devs cry.

Jawmuncher

It's strange, because Valve and Platinum seem to have a working relationship, but Platinum has delivered absolutely nothing. It's apparently taking them a year to port Rising?

Yeah i'm curious what Valve and Platinum might be up to.
I mean in truth when it got brought up I recall the comment was something like "We can't just be friends in the industry or something like that". But I mean I would think something has to be brewing there. While I know Platinum games aren't exactly huge successes in japan depending i'm sure their catalog on Steam would help boost numbers regardless over there. Then in return give the Steam platform some top tier japanese games for the other regions which is by far the biggest thing missing from steam as well as PC gaming itself.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd forgotten that I bought the Greenlight Submission Fee in what was ultimately an ill-fated attempt to make it my 2000th game.

Do you think WB would take the hint? :p

Jawmuncher

I'd forgotten that I bought the Greenlight Submission Fee in what was ultimately an ill-fated attempt to make it my 2000th game.

Do you think WB would take the hint? :p

Might as well get some use out of it.
Them seeing the title there and having to pull it down might get them to act on all the PC ports of midway games they have sitting collecting dust.

There is no way to do it. The only solution is to release fewer games, but that made indie devs cry.
Sure, it might be a pipe dream, but still, you could improve the Steam Store by a lot. Actually, its almost scary how badly designed it is. Especially in the client with no freaking tabs.

Why would you tempt me so, in-between two sales and Xmas, no less!
Tell me more
Dare I say it? Best point and click adventure game ever!

There I said it, can't take it back now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom