• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Banned
I give up on MGR being released on Steam during my lifetime. I gotta get my Body ready for that HL3 announcement. I'm also hoping to be one of the chosen for a Steam box.

fantomena

Haha. Today I won a Steam code for Slender: The Arrival form a contest made by publisher Midnight City on their twitter. I got the code a couple of hours ago, but for some reason it activated Blood of the Werewolf (a game they published not long time ago) instead of Slender. But now I got the real Slender Steam code from them.

2 games for free is cool :)

Arthea

I give up on MGR being released on Steam during my lifetime. I gotta get my Body ready for that HL3 announcement. I'm also hoping to be one of the chosen for a Steam box.

You should throw in world peace somewhere in there too

MGR will be released in 2014 I think, can't promise, but it seems logical to me. Also you might be disappointed with the game in the end.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Haha. Today I won a Steam code for Slender: The Arrival form a contest made by publisher Midnight City on their twitter. I got the code a couple of hours ago, but for some reason it activated Blood of the Werewolf (a game they published not long time ago) instead of Slender. But now I got the real Slender Steam code from them.

2 games for free is cool :)

Not only that, Blood of the Werewolf looks like a better game. :D

I had a hard time getting into MGR. Played for a few hours and absolutely didn't "get it". The combat didn't feel natural and made no sense to me.

It looks cool and crazy-japanese, but I haven't felt the urge to go back to it.

Arthea

I had a hard time getting into MGR. Played for a few hours and absolutely didn't "get it". The combat didn't feel natural and made no sense to me.

It doesn't really looks crazy-japanese, and you CAN'T CUT EVERYTHING, like we were promised :(
Idea is cool, but I expected a different game, I guess

nexen

The high praise Metal Gear games get always reminds me of when the kid with down syndrome was made prom king or when he got a standing ovation during graduation.

rtcn63

The high praise Metal Gear games get always reminds me of when the kid with down syndrome was made prom king or when he got a standing ovation during graduation.

MGS4 was bad. Like, terribad. And I finished. Nothing made sense, including the gameplay. Oh a boss fight, I can just buy an RPG using the menu with this absurd amount of money I got for walking over stuff? The fight ends, a bunch of cutscenes regurgitating info I was already told in a prior bunch of cutscenes, and then right to another bossfight?

DukeBobby

Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3 deserve every bit of praise they get.

2 and 4 are incredibly overrated.

yoshizzle

nexen

MGS4 was bad. Like, terribad. And I finished. Nothing made sense, including the gameplay. Oh a boss fight, I can just buy an RPG using the menu from this absurd amount of money I got for walking over stuff?

Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3 deserve every bit of praise they get.

2 and 4 are incredibly overrated.

MGS was good for the time it came out in. I skipped 2 and 3. MGS4 was pulling down 10/10 reviews all over the map so I jumped back in.. Big mistake.
The gameplay was terrible, the pacing was terrible, the graphics were good, but everything was so static it was hardly impressive, and the story just made me want to gouge my own brain out. It was mescaline induced fan-fiction levels of terrible.
Played the demo of MGR. Yep. Terrible. *shrug* There is like some Andy Kaufman level shit going on behind the scenes with that series, I just know it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Sorry if off-topic, didn't want to bump the old Steam Machine thread and I can't make new ones yet - a new Steam Machine has been revealed, the Piixl Jetpack. It's got a resizable chassis that's designed to strap to the back of your TV. Looks pretty cool.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/6/5179830/piixl-jetpack-straps-a-steamos-pc-to-the-back-of-your-tv

This looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Also, that fucking HDMI Cable coming sideways from your tv and then going back into the bottom area of your tv is gonna look pretty stupid. And all the power/audio jacks getting into the side of your TV as well.

zkylon

zkylewd
every one of the main metal gear (I hear peace walker is also really good) games are worth playing. 4 is pretty bad but still pretty interesting, and all the rest are varied amounts of godly, tho I can understand mgs2 not being everyone's cup-of-tea (plus it's pretty lame at a lot of things)

but fuck me if it's not a series worth its time in gold

nexen

every one of the main metal gear (I hear peace walker is also really good) games are worth playing. 4 is pretty bad but still pretty interesting, and all the rest are varied amounts of godly, tho I can understand mgs2 not being everyone's cup-of-tea (plus it's pretty lame at a lot of things)
MGS4 is only interesting as a case study in how mainstream game reviews are completely worthless. Christ that game was so incredibly bad I still get angry just thinking about it.

Overdoziz

Banned
Just completed Papo & Yo. The puzzles were nothing special and very repetitive, but the setting was nice and the story was, while not very well executed, pretty interesting.

Rising was without a doubt one of my favourite games from this year, and as a big fan of the Solid games I get amused seeing people who expect something like that recoil at the tonal shift in it. The environments were plain, but as a 60(okay, trying to be 60)fps console game it's not a big surprise, just the novelty of chopping enemies up with dynamic cuts never got old -- and using the Gray Fox sword in later playthroughs was like the video game lightsaber I always wanted in a game but never got before then, it was glorious. The boss fights were just pure hype as well. I wasn't a Raiden detractor before either, but seeing him turn into a Platinum character made him all the better.

MGS4 is only interesting as a case study in how mainstream game reviews are completely worthless. Christ that game was so incredibly bad I still get angry just thinking about it.
GAF 2x GOTY

Arthea

Seeing as so many people like it, it managed to win GOTY on gaf twice!! MGS4 isn't exactly horrible game or anything, just not for everyone.
OTOH most games aren't and some of them are bad. What I mean, some MGS fans really like this game, so it can't be all bad and nothing good. You just one of unlucky ones, it's not for you.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just completed Papo & Yo. The puzzles were nothing special and very repetitive, but the setting was nice and the story was, while not very well executed, pretty interesting.

Yeah, they get a bit heavy handed with the story. It could have been just as effective without beating you over the head with it's message.

zkylon

zkylewd
reviewers' problem for being shit at their jobs (or really good at it), has nothing to do with the game itself

like I said the game's really not much good, but if you skip half a series and then expect to get much out of it then you're doing it wrong, specially when it's something like metal gear. most of the problems of mgs4 are with the unrestrained kojima script and a lot of could-be-great mechanics going nowhere because it's 2007 and games have to have cover mechanics and shooting and shit. it should've been much better

also mgs1 is amazing to this day, if you were hinting otherwise in your other post, you're just wrong. WRONG

nexen

GAF 2x GOTY

Seeing as so many people like it, it managed to win GOTY on gaf twice!! MGS4 isn't exactly horrible game or anything, just not for everyone.
OTOH most games aren't and some of them are bad. What I mean, some MGS fans really like this game, so it can't be all bad and nothing good. You just one of unlucky ones, it's not for you.
You can give it a Nobel Peace Prize and declare it King of the Moon, you're never going to convince me that it isn't a terrible, awful game. The emperor has no clothes.

also mgs1 is amazing to this day, if you were hinting otherwise in your other post.
When MGS1 came out it was damned fun, even though I really wanted to punch the designer for the weird tonal shifts and obnoxious reams of unnecessary exposition.
It aged a bit poorly but I'm not going to knock anyone for having nostalgia goggles for it. I certainly have them for many games that have aged far worse.

Thorgal

MGS was good for the time it came out in. I skipped 2 and 3. MGS4 was pulling down 10/10 reviews all over the map so I jumped back in.. Big mistake.
The gameplay was terrible, the pacing was terrible, the graphics were good, but everything was so static it was hardly impressive, and the story just made me want to gouge my own brain out. It was mescaline induced fan-fiction levels of terrible.
Played the demo of MGR. Yep. Terrible. *shrug* There is like some Andy Kaufman level shit going on behind the scenes with that series, I just know it.

MGR story might have been cheesy as all hell (you could say that all of Kojimas games are cheesy ) but that is the nature of the beast . but if you are arguing that MGR gameplay was bad let me say that i strongly disagree with it .

nexen

MGR story might have been cheesy as all hell (you could say that all of Kojimas games are cheesy ) but that is the nature of the beast . but if you are arguing that MGR gameplay was bad let me say that i strongly disagree with it .

I will fully admit that I did not give enough time to MGR to really judge its merits. I will say that its presentation outside of combat was very poor and that the difficulty in the demo ramped up way too steeply. That damned robodog was a serious pain in the ass and everything prior to it barely fought back.

Kanokare

Beats all the DMCs and games like it at it's own game. Good luck beating the last boss without getting a hit...on hardest mode.

MGS4 was good if only because it let me play Army of Shadows for twenty minutes. That was incredible.

The game's a heaping pile of everything and I have to at least respect it for that, at minimum. I can't even begin to get worked up at blandfest after blandfest these days.

I will fully admit that I did not give enough time to MGR to really judge its merits. I will say that its presentation outside of combat was very poor and that the difficulty in the demo ramped up way too steeply. That damned robodog was a serious pain in the ass and everything prior to it barely fought back.
Fighting it was just a trial by fire attempt at hammering in what the demo tells you to do from the very first encounter: parry. Once that settles in the fight takes on a new light.

It's Sinterklaas motherfuckers.

D7whGZLm.jpg

Five minutes to go!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Blue Ninja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dishonored -- MB-F85244D0E60E8F76 - Taken by inm8num2. 39 entrants total.

t1386366913z1.png

EDIT: Congrats inm8num2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom