• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That would be pretty awesome if they did. I wonder what it could be?

Thanks to Uplay ruining my night, I'm working my way through the subs and taking notes. Thus far it seems every new app is tied to three subs: one for the Steam store and two for keys. I wouldn't read much into the latter, though, as these days each new app by default gets, surprise surprise, three subs: a retail key sub, a beta testing sub, and a "Steam Store and Retail Key" sub (see KnightShift, for example). Because the sub ids all progress upwards by one, the app ids by 20, and they all hit the registry at about the same time, I'd say all they're all but certainly tied to the one publisher.

Tagyhag

It's not.

Edit: Somebody adding 300 subs to the registry over the course of an hour, seemingly all tied to ~60 new/previously-unknown apps, has piqued my curiosity. Maybe EA has had a change of heart. :p

I'm not going to hype myself up but maybe it has to do with the fact that Steam is also hosting a stream of VGX?

It's probably nothing.

I bet it's nothing.

JaseC

I'm not going to hype myself up but maybe it has to do with the fact that Steam is also hosting a stream of VGX?

It's probably nothing.

I bet it's nothing.

At the very least one publisher is planning on releasing a ton of games. It could be a swarm of back catalogue releases or perhaps the company in question is just securing a bunch of apps/subs for future use... or both. Maybe we're getting 100 region-specific apps for Wheelman!

It's not.

Edit: Somebody adding 300 subs to the registry over the course of an hour, seemingly all tied to ~60 new/previously-unknown apps, has piqued my curiosity. Maybe EA has had a change of heart. :p
I'd certainly be fine with giving ME3 and Syndicate a go if they finally put them on PC.

Why would you want to buy the worst of the old FFs?

Yep, it had to be said.
I'm surprised there's a market for the PS1 FFs on Steam, especially since you could probably find better ways to experience them on PC, but FF2 is still WOAT.

Dr Dogg

im gonna go on a limb and say it's gonna be worth the $10

Until you find out it's got multi-player forcefully integrated with the single-player and micro transactions up the wazoo. How would micro transactions work in a stealth game? Quieter shoes? Darker shadows? I better shut up before I start giving Squenix ideas.

One card left, and no more card money to buy it with. :lol

I don't suppose anyone has a Skyrim Wispmother card they're willing to donate to a good cause? If you consider me to be a good cause, that is. Which you shouldn't.

Risgroo

Yes. It's accessible from the main menu, under "Downloadable Content", IIRC.

Thanks!

Sure. It's pretty standalone. I'd still play Bioshock 2 first though. I'd actually say it's good to play Bioshock 1 before playing either.

Already played 1 and 2 on PS3, I'll play through them again on PC soon, but I only have a few spare hours at the the moment, so the DLC will be perfect :)

Just started Mark of the Ninja and finished a couple of levels, the game is freaking awesome.

The first level was fun but when they were tallying up the score at the end I noticed a bonus for no kills so the next level I played pure stealth with no kills and it felt so good.

just wait for couple more levels and do the right thing and start playing without giving shits about kills and stealth. I really enjoyed, just like you, the first few levels but the game gets random, repetitive and just plain boring very quick if you go for the ocd stealth route. I didn't have the patience to try it with killing everyone so i might be wrong though.

Jawmuncher

I'm surprised there's a market for the PS1 FFs on Steam, especially since you could probably find better ways to experience them on PC, but FF2 is still WOAT.

I think in general it's more of a principal thing of people just wanting more JRPG's and/or Japanese fare in general on Steam. Since as you said you could in a sense just load up ePSXe and have just about the same version in terms of looks. Though obviously no mod support .

JaseC

Okay, so, the new games that appeared in the registry encompass the id range 268650 to 270630, and the subs they're tied to encompass the id range of 35619 to 35918. Both the apps and subs -- 100 of each, and the ids increase by the usual increments when a range is claimed (1 for subs and 20 for apps) -- appeared 9~10 hours ago. Who put them there and what games do they pertain to? Who knows!

Jawmuncher

Okay, so, the new games that appeared in the registry encompass the id range 270630 to 268650, and the subs they're tied to encompass the id range of 35619 to 35918. Both the apps and subs -- 100 of each, and the ids increase by the usual increments when a range is claimed (1 for subs and 20 for apps) -- appeared 9~10 hours ago. Who put them there and what games do they pertain to? Who knows!

Maybe VGX related?

Okay, so, the new games that appeared in the registry encompass the id range 270630 to 268650, and the subs they're tied to encompass the id range of 35619 to 35918. Both the apps and subs -- 100 of each, and the ids increase by the usual increments when a range is claimed (1 for subs and 20 for apps) -- appeared 9~10 hours ago. Who put them there and what games do they pertain to? Who knows!

Wheelman and Chronicles of Riddick....

Knurek

Both the apps and subs -- 100 of each, and the ids increase by the usual increments when a range is claimed (1 for subs and 20 for apps) -- appeared 9~10 hours ago. Who put them there and what games do they pertain to? Who knows!

Maybe Nintendo was reading this thread yesterday and is now bringing their classic games emulated to Steam?

JaseC

NOLF games, RE games, Lucasarts games, Heretic 2, AvP2, Neverhood, Halo games, Silent Hill games, MGS games ...

it's good to dream

NOLF and Heretic 2 in particular would be great.

DDE? Is that something like the Thief: Master Thief Edition?
Digital deluxe edition?

That's a bingo. I just use DDE as a blanket term to refer to all digital special editions.

Maybe Nintendo was reading this thread yesterday and is now bringing their classic games emulated to Steam?

Haha, Nintendo to go third party confirmed!

Whenever I pass by Terror from the Deep on my game list I can't help but see Jar Jar in the icon, screaming in horror or howling at the moon or something to that effect.

jHxGtzYcKDvnU.png

Zia

Okay, so, the new games that appeared in the registry encompass the id range 268650 to 270630, and the subs they're tied to encompass the id range of 35619 to 35918. Both the apps and subs -- 100 of each, and the ids increase by the usual increments when a range is claimed (1 for subs and 20 for apps) -- appeared 9~10 hours ago. Who put them there and what games do they pertain to? Who knows!

That's... a lot of (potential) games.

cicero

That's a bingo. I just use DDE as a blanket term to refer to all digital special editions
I am really hoping that it turns out great, the first two Thief games are in my top five favorite games of all time. I would take solace in the fact that I did get Thi4f along with two others games for only a $6.66 average, I would rather pay $60 for a new Thief that was as good as first two though.

JaseC

That's... a lot of (potential) games.

The wide and uninterrupted range as well as the simultaneous timing points to the games belonging to the one publisher and considering this EA does make the most sense, but I don't want to raise hopes.

I am really hoping that it turns out great, the first two Thief games are in my top five favorite games of all time. I would take solace in the fact that I did get Thi4f along with two others games for only a $6.66 average, I would rather pay $60 for a new Thief that was as good as first two though.

I'd be okay with something that's enjoyable in its own right even if it eschews tradition. Tomb Raider 2013 was, overall, not a bad way to kill ~30 hours.

Turfster

I'd be okay with something that's enjoyable in its own right even if it eschews tradition. Tomb Raider 2013 was, overall, not a bad way to kill ~30 hours.

TR2013 didn't strip down the game's core systems and trumpet about it in the press, though. Yes, we didn't have real tombs any more, but the game still consisted mostly of traversing environments by climbing and jumping, killing hostiles along the way.

I mean, I really, really hope thiaf will be good, but looking at what they've shown us and told us, I'm not holding out too much hope.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
im gonna go on a limb and say it's gonna be worth the $10

"they should have paid me 35$ to play it" - Derrick after buying the game for 35$ on GMG despite reviews confirming all his worst fears and everyone telling him not to buy it because it's obvious he is wasting his money

JaseC

TR2013 didn't strip down the game's core systems and trumpet about it in the press, though. Yes, we didn't have real tombs any more, but the game still consisted mostly of traversing environments by climbing and jumping, killing hostiles along the way.

I mean, I really, really hope thiaf will be good, but looking at what they've shown us and told us, I'm not holding out too much hope.

To be honest, I haven't been following Thi4f much. All I know is that jumping and special-function arrows are now context-based, the XP system initially present in the game has been ditched, and players will have a lot of control over which HUD elements are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom