• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

To be honest, I haven't been following Thi4f much. All I know is that jumping and special-function arrows are now context-based, the XP system initially present in the game has been ditched, and players will have a lot of control over which HUD elements are used.

Well, they were very proud of their "running away from a burning building and the whole thing collapsing behind and beneath you" QTE bullshit that seems to be in every game these days. Yes, it looks 'cool', but it's not what I want in a stealth game =p

I got a play and charge kit; will that work as well If I need to charge it

No, you can't use the play and charge kit by itself to connect a wireless 360 controller to a pc and use it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, they were very proud of their "running away from a burning building and the whole thing collapsing behind and beneath you" QTE bullshit that seems to be in every game these days. Yes, it looks 'cool', but it's not what I want in a stealth game =p

Thief: Among Thieves.

Derrick01

Banned
Nope, nope, nope.

It's a piece of shit and it's going to stay that way forever.

I know, nothing could ever make me think that game was anything more than that :)

It's just a shame Thief is going to join its ranks soon. I would have preferred the series stay dead instead.

rtcn63

Thief: Among Thieves.

Thief: Among Thievius Raccoonus

I want a crossover damnit. First Sly was really the only good title (on the PS2 at least). The later ones took an "Ocean's Eleven" sandbox approach littered with bad mini-games.

BadWolf

Mark of the Ninja was running smooth yesterday and this morning but now after I installed the Windows 8.1 update its running in slow motion.

Any idea what's wrong?

(using a GeForce GT620)

just wait for couple more levels and do the right thing and start playing without giving shits about kills and stealth. I really enjoyed, just like you, the first few levels but the game gets random, repetitive and just plain boring very quick if you go for the ocd stealth route. I didn't have the patience to try it with killing everyone so i might be wrong though.

Thanks for the tip, will do.

Grief.exe

NOLF games, RE games, Lucasarts games, Heretic 2, AvP2, Neverhood, Halo games, Silent Hill games, MGS games ...

it's good to dream

Don't stop believing.

"they should have paid me 35$ to play it" - Derrick after buying the game for 35$ on GMG despite reviews confirming all his worst fears and everyone telling him not to buy it because it's obvious he is wasting his money

His ironic hate of Indie games always makes me chuckle.

To be honest, I haven't been following Thi4f much. All I know is that jumping and special-function arrows are now context-based, the XP system initially present in the game has been ditched, and players will have a lot of control over which HUD elements are used.

Removing an arbitrary thing like XP won't help development at this point. I've been following it and this game is far too gone.

Turfster

Mark of the Ninja was running smooth yesterday and this morning but now after I installed the Windows 8.1 update its running in slow motion.

Any idea what's wrong?

(using a GeForce GT620)
Have you tried re-installing your nVidia drivers after the update?

Deadbeat

Banned
Removing an arbitrary thing like XP won't help development at this point. I've been following it and this game is far too gone.
They infact should have kept the XP system because god knows what they did differently now to "cater" to the fanbase. The devs need to realise that the hardcore audience is not getting the game ever. Just go balls out casual. Im not going near the game unless theres another beta leak.

Derrick01

Banned
they might surprise you

lawl

Nah this is like Hitman now where I've seen so much and followed the game so closely that I seriously doubt I could be surprised. There's been more than enough info to piece everything together.

What I am curious about is if they'll show an extended gameplay demo, perhaps tonight at the VGX thing. When that video of the Chinatown level from Hitman came out I enjoyed everyone telling me how wrong I was because of that short clip from a really tiny "traditional" level (turned out that was 1 of 3 or 4 in the ENTIRE game). I expect a similar reaction if there is a clip tonight because people don't learn from history.

Grief.exe

They infact should have kept the XP system because god knows what they did differently now to "cater" to the fanbase. The devs need to realise that the hardcore audience is not getting the game ever. Just go balls out casual. Im not going near the game unless theres another beta leak.

This is going to be one of this games where the fanbase has already checked out. Your typical casual player has no interest in the franchicse and never leaves their Assassins Creed or Call of Duty.

Next, Square closes Eidos due to lack of sales.

Deadbeat

Banned
This is going to be one of this games where the fanbase has already checked out, and your typical casual player never leaves their Assassins Creed or Call of Duty.

Next, Square closes Eidos due to lack of sales.
What are you talking about? Theres obviously some other reason. I mean the focus testers told us the game was awesome.

edit: I blame the fanbase. Just like with DMC. It will be the fans fault for poor sales.

What I am curious about is if they'll show an extended gameplay demo, perhaps tonight at the VGX thing. When that video of the Chinatown level from Hitman came out I enjoyed everyone telling me how wrong I was because of that short clip from a really tiny "traditional" level (turned out that was 1 of 3 or 4 in the ENTIRE game). I expect a similar reaction if there is a clip tonight because people don't learn from history.

You were totally right about Hitman, but people are so cynical about Thief right now now I don't think any clips are going to make anyone excited.

cicero

I'd be okay with something that's enjoyable in its own right even if it eschews tradition. Tomb Raider 2013 was, overall, not a bad way to kill ~30 hours.
Honestly, appreciation for tradition is exactly what I am hoping for. The immersive stealth experiences that I have yet to seen equaled or bettered since their release.

Comments like this are why I stopped following the development long ago. I would like to still believe that it has a chance of being good and more than just typical shiny generic crap.

Turfster

You were totally right about Hitman, but people are so cynical about Thief right now now I don't think any clips are going to make anyone excited.
A one hour video of someone slowly sneaking through a mansion not killing anyone or anything would get me excited again.

Jawmuncher

I think Thief will be fine so long as you don't care about the originals.....but then again I didn't care about the originals for Tomb Raider and Hitman. Which I thought both were letdowns.

Actually now that I think about it I haven't really liked anything Square has dipped their hand into from Eidos.
Deus Ex Human Revolution was a let down for me as well. The only game I can think of that had Square and Eidos on the box that I liked was Kane and Lynch 2.

JaseC

I'll head to bed. I wonder if I'll wake up to some surprises.

Interestingly enough, all those new subs are flagged as released, which ostensibly suggests that the games themselves are ready to go.

Edit: Then again, they do have the DevComp flag, but that was only implemented because publishers kept accidentally leaking their upcoming releases. *shrug*

Turfster

Knocking people out counts as not killing anyone, right?

Sure, as long as they get away from their LOOKIT ALL THE NEW WEAPONS WE GAVE YOU TO KILL DUDES WITH thing.
Edit: Oh god damn it, it has collectible paintings you have to cut out and shit you have to screw off walls.

Sure, as long as they get away from their LOOKIT ALL THE NEW WEAPONS WE GAVE YOU TO KILL DUDES WITH thing.
Edit: Oh god damn it, it has collectible paintings you have to cut out and shit you have to screw off walls.

Ha, well I for one am not happy with how "knocking out an enemy" in most stealth games is effectively killing an enemy anyways. It just feels like a moral cop out in most circumstances.

Jawmuncher

Ha, well I for one am not happy with how "knocking out an enemy" in most stealth games is effectively killing an enemy anyways. It just feels like a moral cop out in most circumstances.

Nothing beat the dissapintment of Metal Gear Rising's "No Kill Playthrough"....
You get a wooden sword that just about behaves like any other sword.
I can't blame platinum to much since they had to work on it in so little time.

Turfster

Well, I'd be wanting something where knocked out enemies can be woken by their colleagues when found, or they would evolve into snoring that would make them easier to find by other enemies after a while. We've come far enough that guards should be able to go "Huh, I haven't seen Frank in a while, I wonder where he is." and change their patrols. (Wishful thinking, I know)

But uh, yeah... this is not giving me happy vibes.

FloatOn

damn... I really want Sir you are Being Hunted but I picked up Starbound, Brigmore Witches and Blood Dragon earlier.

I don't want to blow too much of my video game budget load before the xmas sale.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
In fact, knocking enemies should have repercussions, like they could have brain damage or poisoning due to lethal doses from tranq.

Arthea

I didn't follow Thief closely lately. Were there any new developments that make people that pessimistic about a game?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
In fact, knocking enemies should have repercussions, like they could have brain damage or poisoning due to lethal doses from tranq.

Mini-Game for post-game play in Arkham Asylum/City/Origins. Bruce Wayne has to financial manage payment for all the paraplegics he's created as Batman.

Sometimes I just prefer the Commandos series. It's war, so often it's either kill an enemy or just avoid them all together. Also good for enemies actually looking out for each other.

JaseC

Daily: Sir, You Are Being Hunted 50% off

Speaking of better stealth games...

I bought this back during the Halloween Sale (or thereabouts) and have been meaning to play it.

Well, I'd be wanting something where knocked out enemies can be woken by their colleagues when found, or they would evolve into snoring that would make them easier to find by other enemies after a while. We've come far enough that guards should be able to go "Huh, I haven't seen Frank in a while, I wonder where he is." and change their patrols. (Wishful thinking, I know)

But uh, yeah... this is not giving me happy vibes.

Collectables? Sold!

Nzyme32

Okay, so, the new games that appeared in the registry encompass the id range 268650 to 270630, and the subs they're tied to encompass the id range of 35619 to 35918. Both the apps and subs -- 100 of each, and the ids increase by the usual increments when a range is claimed (1 for subs and 20 for apps) -- appeared 9~10 hours ago. Who put them there and what games do they pertain to? Who knows!

Colour me intrigued. Its a possible EA return? I'd rather it was something more mind blowing though!

JaseC

Colour me intrigued. Its a possible EA return? I'd rather it was something more mind blowing though!

Disney Interactive! On a more serious note, EA strikes me as the only publisher with enough non-Steam titles to fill such a large void, but it's too early to be even remotely certain.

Did you ever play The World Is Not Enough? There was one level where you couldn't kill anyone but were given a single tranq dart. Used it on a guy and the bastard proceeded to fall in a pool and drown. Mission failed.

Randdalf

Okay, so, the new games that appeared in the registry encompass the id range 268650 to 270630, and the subs they're tied to encompass the id range of 35619 to 35918. Both the apps and subs -- 100 of each, and the ids increase by the usual increments when a range is claimed (1 for subs and 20 for apps) -- appeared 9~10 hours ago. Who put them there and what games do they pertain to? Who knows!

Maybe a mass Greenlight release?

Derrick01

Banned

It's true really. Nothing they can show ahead of time can or should get people to believe in them. The full game will have to do that.

JaseC

Maybe a mass Greenlight release?

The listings going up at about the same time suggests they're all handled by the same publisher and Valve wouldn't create app and sub listings for third parties.

Those would probably show up in the "coming soon" tab, I think.

Only if the game has a store page ready and generally speaking indie games don't have a pre-release store presence (even Alan Wake didn't pop up until it released).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Did you ever play The World Is Not Enough? There was one level where you couldn't kill anyone but were given a single tranq dart. Used it on a guy and the bastard proceeded to fall in a pool and drown. Mission failed.

That sounds hilarious. Is there a video?

Mini-Game for post-game play in Arkham Asylum/City/Origins. Bruce Wayne has to financial manage payment for all the paraplegics he's created as Batman.

Sometimes I just prefer the Commandos series. It's war, so often it's either kill an enemy or just avoid them all together. Also good for enemies actually looking out for each other.

Hahah pretty much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom