• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So uh what happened? I know those people who overhyped the Nintendo announcement are currently melting down, but what else?

Joel Mchale was given shitty jokes, made that apparent on the live stream, started to go off the prompter, which created some actually funny moments and some awkward ones. Which also meant he started messing up when actually reading the prompter.

In other words, they hired a dude that doesn't care about videogames (fair enough), wrote shitty dialog and terrible rehearsed on-stage banter (this is unacceptable), dude that didn't care about videogames in the first place kinda went off the script and made both funny and kinda offensive jokes.

As far as I know, it was as bad as an Oscar presentation, except it looked worse because whoever was presenting it didn't care enough to not screw up.

You know I always wondered if these were mutually exclusive things

They don't have to be, but in the context of that show, it was embarrassing how legit they were trying to make it.

There were brief moments when McHale obviously was impressed, such as when he learned Respawn worked on CoD 1.

Joel McHale is actually the second most trending story on Twitter right now. If you click on the Twitter link, its the whos who of gaming decimating the guy.

PF8F2gN.png

I dont think it would have been a problem if the whole show was set-up to be more like a comedy-show.

It was just totally strange, that Geoff was like the good cop, McHale the bad cop in the roles of serious guy/funny-sarcastic guy.
Like if Geoff would have been a bit more open or if McHale would act more serious, it wouldnt be a big problem.

But like this it was kinda surreal to see one guy just being super-serious, while the other guy acts more light-hearted.

Grief.exe

His bad attitude was more to the outrageously bad teleprompter jokes and the staged PR jackoff aspect of the interviews. He seemed genuinely interested in quite a few things and the non-scripted questions he asked were all interesting ones.

You bring up some good points.

He was generally impressed with the No Man's Sky trailer, and by generally impressed I mean speechless.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Relatively speaking, how much longer do we have to wait until a left 4 dead 3 reveal?

Valve makes enough money to operate the company at its current size in perpetuity without ever releasing another game and because the only people who benefit monetarily from them releasing another game already have more money than they could ever spend, those people aren't going to force things.

I say this to mention that there is absolutely no pressure on them to announce early :p

snack

First release: Left 4 Dead
October 17, 2008

Latest release: Left 4 Dead 2
October 17, 2009

It has been four years already. :(

snack

Valve makes enough money to operate the company at its current size in perpetuity without ever releasing another game and because the only people who benefit monetarily from them releasing another game already have more money than they could ever spend, those people aren't going to force things.

I say this to mention that there is absolutely no pressure on them to announce early :p
Yeah that's understandable. But with that leaked list from reddit in August I thought something was coming soon.
Dota is keeping me busy in the meantime.

G-Fex

I'm really interested in the game, but I don't like it's in alpha state. Do they have an approximate date of completion? Can you finish the game and replay it again or once you finish it, that's it?

I'm not sure at all, But the game is fantastic and playable.

It gets extremely intense and you have to keep your wits about you or else you'll get killed like nothing. The feeling of sneaking around these dangerous bots is great.

I It'll be something that I'll be casting regularly

denx

Haven't been following the VGX so sorry if this comes as a bit OT, but fuck the entire ending section of FEAR Perseus Mandate, seriously. From the
stupid bullet-spongey boss that can kill you in two shots, to the never ending waves of enemies in the very last level. They don't even bother giving you too much health kits, which totally sucks because you will most likely arrive at the last level just barely alive and with not enough ammo after the stupid boss fight I mentioned previously. I was playing on Hard difficulty btw, so I probably had that coming, but really fuck the last two maps of Perseus Mandate, fuck them fuckity fuck fuck fuck
/end rant

Weird that we've had games discounted lately but not their DLC. I'd be tempted to pick the Metal Sonic pack up for Sonic & All-Stars but it's full price.

So i went to play Arkham city for the first time, and I see that I have two in my Steam library, Arkham City and Arkham City GOTY, Arkham City (non-GOTY) is already installed, should I delete and install GOTY? I don't understand why I have two entries I believe I only bought 1 version.

zkylon

zkylewd
I had the thing muted so I'm not the authority on these things...I really wished I had it remuted for this portion...

8otbuqS.png

EDIT: I don't know which is worse....The above, or Bioshock Infinite winning best shooter

I can't wait for the vods of this

the whole POTATO POTATO POTATO was hilarious

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I honestly wonder why people expect much in VGXA to begin with.

Joel Mchale was given shitty jokes, made that apparent on the live stream, started to go off the prompter, which created some actually funny moments and some awkward ones. Which also meant he started messing up when actually reading the prompter.

In other words, they hired a dude that doesn't care about videogames (fair enough), wrote shitty dialog and terrible rehearsed on-stage banter (this is unacceptable), dude that didn't care about videogames in the first place kinda went off the script and made both funny and kinda offensive jokes.

As far as I know, it was as bad as an Oscar presentation, except it looked worse because whoever was presenting it didn't care enough to not screw up.

So in other words, VGA which is par for the course.

I wonder if the "dudebro" crowd eat that stuff.

Turfster

So i went to play Arkham city for the first time, and I see that I have two in my Steam library, Arkham City and Arkham City GOTY, Arkham City (non-GOTY) is already installed, should I delete and install GOTY? I don't understand why I have two entries I believe I only bought 1 version.

Yes.
Everyone that bought OG Arkham City With GFWL got GOTY when they removed GFWL from that. They didn't remove it from OG.

plc268

Weird that we've had games discounted lately but not their DLC. I'd be tempted to pick the Metal Sonic pack up for Sonic & All-Stars but it's full price.

This is my dilemma with Skyrim. The base game gets discounted by quite a bit, but the DLC gets a weak discount on top of it. It's been cheaper to buy the legendary edition than to buy the DLC seperately, and that just kind of misses the point.

Parsnip

Joel McHale was alright when he went off the prompter.

Joel Banderas was incredible, but now that meme needs to die. It can't get better than that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Noticed something strange in Final Fantasy VIII. It seems the in-game timer that keeps track of your play time is quite buggy. My in-game time says I've spent about 7 1/2 hours. My Steam game time (and my watch) say it's almost exactly 6 hours.

My only guess is that they put the "standard" loading time between each screen somewhere into that calculation. With my modern PC the loading times are almost non-existent.

Just weird, although I suppose not entirely unexpected of such an old game.

Momentary

Banned
Thanks to Uplay ruining my night, I'm working my way through the subs and taking notes. Thus far it seems every new app is tied to three subs: one for the Steam store and two for keys. I wouldn't read much into the latter, though, as these days each new app by default gets, surprise surprise, three subs: a retail key sub, a beta testing sub, and a "Steam Store and Retail Key" sub (see KnightShift, for example). Because the sub ids all progress upwards by one, the app ids by 20, and they all hit the registry at about the same time, I'd say all they're all but certainly tied to the one publisher.

Is there any other publisher not on Steam that has that amount of stuff to throw on there?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Only 100? I really wish Big Fish would put their 2500+ games on Steam.

derExperte

I read that GAF used to be down during the 2010 World Cup. Should we expect GAF to melt in June next year?

The kickoff times will be in the middle of the night for Europeans so there's a chance GAF survives at least the first two weeks.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I'd like to see you buy all 2500+ games at once.

Not even you have that kind of budget. :D

I'm pretty sure my husband would kill me. I'd have to sneak them in a few hundred per sale.

Plus, as mentioned above, Big Fish never puts what they already have on Steam on sale, which just makes it worse. I guess their website is so successful that they don't care.

No Man's Sky was the only "megaton" thing for me.

Same here. Well, maybe not even "megaton" but it looked good.

I am so damn tired of the Banderas meme.

oipic

Likewise, and it'll be fascinating to see how they handle development from here on - Kickstart it, attract a couple of million in funding, grow the team and take their time? They may have a queue of publishers forming at their door now, though, perhaps.

What we saw of Thief looked alright to me, too... but I know my expectations are tinged and heightened by nostalgia to a degree. Still a little hard to get a read on the gameplay side of things.

Derrick01

Banned

Even I thought that was fairly impressive but being an indie game I have serious concerns about their goals for the game. Is there a relatively deep "game" there or is it just another immersion simulator where you fly around staring at the pretty...everything I guess? Flying around will get boring fast if there's no gamey stuff there.

Even I thought that was fairly impressive but being an indie game I have serious concerns about their goals for the game. Is there a relatively deep "game" there or is it just another immersion simulator where you fly around staring at the pretty...everything I guess? Flying around will get boring fast if there's no gamey stuff there.

I definitely saw some space battles in that trailer.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
They said it was a persistent unified online world, so presumably there's going to be a PvP and PvE aspect to it as well. I saw giant worms and space battles.

They also made it sound enormous and procedural, so...Good luck with your launch day performance issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom