• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relax.MX

I tried again Dark Souls and I do not like, RPGs is perhaps my favorite genre, the high difficulty has always been an encouragement to me, but it just does not give me click when i play it.

There are 3 things:

. 1 - Not my kind of game
. 2 - Is not the time to play it, maybe I need to play other things and then come back.
. 3 - I have bad taste

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's immensely frustrating how you have to accept some trade offers using a proper browser while others will only work if accepted through the Steam client proper, and in almost all cases an error message will pop up even though the confirmation actually went through.

Oh, and I still can't invite people to groups using Fire/Waterfox.

kurahador

Steam GOTY 2012:
Dota 2 Beta

Steam GOTY 2013:
Dota 2

image.php

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve wants to force you to change to Chrome.

I've tried Chrome, twice, and ultimately went back to *fox... twice. ;) It'd be three times if the early versions of Chrome's installer weren't so awful at importing history -- I was willing to give it a try but not at the expense of losing all my Saoirse-related history items. ;)

Divius

I tried again Dark Souls and I do not like, RPGs is perhaps my favorite genre, the high difficulty has always been an encouragement to me, but it just does not give me click when i play it.

There are 3 things:

. 2 - Is not the time to play it, maybe I need to play other things and then come back.
. 3 - I have bad taste
How long/until what point did you play?

I've been itching to make the switch to Chrome since Firefox has been disappointing me with the last... dozen or so updates. Silly as hell but I've grown to have this dependence on switching between tabs using the arrow keys that I haven't found a way to replicate in Chrome, which is really my only barrier to entry there now. I also prefer not having a close tab button on each and every one.

rtcn63

There are 3 things:

. 3 - I have bad taste

. 4 - You're not a masochist.

I enjoyed DS, but couldn't finish, at least not without adhering strict to a strategy guide. I think DS is a game for a certain mindset- people who greatly enjoy exploring and discovering the absolute madness a world like this has to offer- players who like rogue aspects, and don't mind spending 40 hours to get 1/4th into the game, because they know they've earned every little step, or having to redo their progress because they made the wrong choices due not vagueness of feedback (i.e. some stats are completely useless, item placement seems random at times), since they have only improved their skills with the time invested. So all is not meaningless. Skills and patience that without, you're more likely to hit walls during your playthrough.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I've been itching to make the switch to Chrome since Firefox has been disappointing me with the last... dozen or so updates. Silly as hell but I've grown to have this dependence on switching between tabs using the arrow keys that I haven't found a way to replicate in Chrome, which is really my only barrier to entry there now. I also prefer not having a close tab button on each and every one.

Ctrl+Tab moves to next tab.
Ctrl+1 moves to first tab, Ctrl+2 moves to second tab, Ctrl+3 moves to third tab, etc.

(This is on Windows)

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Steam keys for Race the Sun are now available on your flippfly account page if you bought the game before.

For some strange reason i had to activate my Race the sun key again but after that the steam code appeared on my account page

For anybody who haven't played it yet, Race the sun is great fun, played it with a friend some weeks ago for some hours, has this great "just one more try" feeling

Jørdan

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

5ed48dab82.jpg

Final Fantasy VII -- MB-11620684E4664176 Taken by m.gorecki

Thanks to Stumpokapow taking considerable time and effort to help, I can now create ModBot giveaways!

Ctrl+Tab moves to next tab.
Ctrl+1 moves to first tab, Ctrl+2 moves to second tab, Ctrl+3 moves to third tab, etc.

(This is on Windows)
I knew of the Chrome shortcuts but I found them inconvenient, I'm used to quickly swabbing through with single key presses. I tried looking for plugins to see if anything could change it, but the last time I gave Chrome a try (admittedly a while ago) I couldn't find a thing.

Jørdan

Oops, I think my adding the picture to the giveaway threw of ModBot. I've received a receipt to say the key was taken but the quoted text doesn't appeared to be edited yet.

Darkroronoa

I finished mark of the ninja,great game,i really enjoyed it.I know lots of people recommend it,i do too :D

Also is there any way to update the achievements i earned in some games while i played in offline mode or i must earn them again?
I dont ask about tools i can use,but i finished bastion in offline mode,then when i got my iternet back i opened the game but they did not updated :( Maybe if i earn a new achievement?

There are 3 things:

. 3 - I have bad taste

. 4 - You're not a masochist.

I enjoyed DS, but couldn't finish, at least not without adhering strict to a strategy guide. I think DS is a game for a certain mindset- people who greatly enjoy exploring and discovering the absolute madness a world like this has to offer. Folks who like rogue aspects, and don't mind spending 40 hours to get 1/4th into the game, because they know they've earned every little step, or having to redo their progress because they made the wrong choices due not enough in-game feedback (i.e. some stats are completely useless) , since they have only improved their skills with the time invested. So all is not meaningless. Skills and patience that without, you're more likely to hit walls during your playthrough.
Dark Souls' difficulty is generally overstated, and I'm not saying that in a snooty "har-de-har-har" tone as someone who beat it.

Does the game punish you for doing something stupid, or not giving your movement much thought? Yes, but Dark Souls either usually clues you in that something is afoot (like the scorched surface of the infamous first bridge) or teaches you the hard way that you need to be more patient with how you approach any given situation. It's an oppressive game, but rarely unfairly so nor does it require loads of mechanical skill. A sense of timing (as in: recognizing when's the opportune moment to strike) and the ability to safely scope out a new environment or danger are both much more valuable than raw reflexes. You're absolutely right that some aspects of the game are very muddy in the way they've been portrayed in-game (like the stats you can level up, why equipment upgrades matter or how covenants function), but those are usually covered in one of the many newbie threads here on GAF if one feels like he doesn't "understand" Dark Souls. Oh, and forget about the Drake Sword if you found it or plan to. Ditch it and never look back.

If it still isn't your kind of game, then that's fair; nothing left that needs to be said.

Dark Souls' difficulty is generally overstated, and I'm not saying that in a snooty "har-de-har-har" tone as someone who beat it.

Does the game punish you for doing something stupid, or not giving your movement much thought? Yes, but Dark Souls either usually clues you in that something is afoot (like the scorched surface of the infamous first bridge) or teaches you the hard way that you need to be more patient with how you approach any given situation. It's an oppressive game, but rarely unfairly so nor does it require loads of mechanical skill. A sense of timing (as in: recognizing when's the opportune moment to strike) and the ability to safely scope out a new environment or danger are both much more valuable than raw reflexes. You're absolutely right that some aspects of the game are very muddy in the way they've been portrayed in-game (like the stats you can level up, why equipment upgrades matter or how covenants function), but those are usually covered in one of the many newbie threads here on GAF if one feels like he doesn't "understand" Dark Souls. Oh, and forget about the Drake Sword if you found it or plan to. Ditch it and never look back.

If it still isn't your kind of game, then that's fair; nothing left that needs to be said.

my big problem with Dark Souls, is its very hard to just pick up and play. There is really nothing in the game that denotes progress. Which is fine when are engrossed in the experience, but I tried firing up my game from a few months ago and have almost no idea whats going on or where to go. It's almost easier to start over than figure out where to go now

Blablurn

Wait. Can i play dark souls only in offline mode with games for windows live down? Couldnt log into super street fighter and dark souls.

The_Monk

Jørdan;93193354 said:
Thanks to Stumpokapow taking considerable time and effort to help, I can now create ModBot giveaways!

Thanks for the kind giveaway fellow GAFfer, I'm assuming it was that "ø" giving the trouble to Modbot? It does not seem to report the winner, however.

---

Regarding Dark Souls I have to think about a better strategy, I'm in Anor Londo and these Knights with a bow always hitting me which makes me fall isn't getting easy for me but I can also blame my lack of depth perception in games.

Anteater

Am I using the steam search wrong or did they remove some of the japanese games for asia regions?

The following aren't showing up for me:

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Dark Souls

Anteater

Regarding Dark Souls I have to think about a better strategy, I'm in Anor Londo and these Knights with a bow always hitting me which makes me fall isn't getting easy for me but I can also blame my lack of depth perception in games.

Sprint up to them and don't stop, arrows can't hit you when you're moving. Then you could do whatever you want once you get up close, either parry the attack, roll (caution: you might fall), and kill the right dude.

This. Dark Souls is a dungeon crawler simulator, really. You have to get into the mindset and play accordingly. Stay cautious, be careful, never let your guard down, be wary of unexplored areas, never underestimate an enemy, retreat when you have a chance because there might not be another chance. Play like that and you'll find that the game is not as masochistically difficult as some have said, but just a game that values careful and cautious play over recklessness.

my big problem with Dark Souls, is its very hard to just pick up and play. There is really nothing in the game that denotes progress. Which is fine when are engrossed in the experience, but I tried firing up my game from a few months ago and have almost no idea whats going on or where to go. It's almost easier to start over than figure out where to go now

I've haven't enjoying DS.
I dislike how other (jerk) players invade my game with way superior equipment and strange powers (not to say they hacked but I've seen... strange things), and the item drops lows to almost nothing if you play as a zombie.

Shepard

What about the other games? I could access the dark souls and ff7 pages fine from google, and there's a purchase button, but I can't find it through search with the client >_>

Same here. I can only acess the FFVII page through the FFVIII one. I'm not from Asia though.

Jørdan

Thanks for the kind giveaway fellow GAFfer, I'm assuming it was that "ø" giving the trouble to Modbot? It does not seem to report the winner, however.

Your right in that the 'ø' was causing difficulties previously however Stumpokapow took time out to work on a solution and I was able to send and receive PMs from ModBot concerning the giveaway. I think what happened was my ignorantly adding the image has interfered with the editing to say it was taken and by whom. I'll add that in myself and refrain in the future from messing with the quoted text.

What about the other games? I could access the dark souls and ff7 pages fine from google, and there's a purchase button, but I can't find it through search with the client >_>
Maybe the first one has something to do with GFWL?
Don't know about FF7. Seems like both are locked for you.

random

Am I using the steam search wrong or did they remove some of the japanese games for asia regions?

The following aren't showing up for me:

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Dark Souls

It looks like there is a problem with search: they do not show up for me either (I'm in Germany).
I can access them by going to the link directly, try if it works for you.

FFVII would be http://store.steampowered.com/app/39140
Sonic is http://store.steampowered.com/app/212480
Dark Souls is http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420

FFVIII is not sold in Asia.

Edit: way too slow...

Anteater

It looks like there is a problem with search: they do not show up for me either (I'm in Germany).
I can access them by going to the link directly, try if it works for you.

FFVII would be http://store.steampowered.com/app/39140
Sonic is http://store.steampowered.com/app/212480
Dark Souls is http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420

FFVIII is not sold in Asia.

Edit: way too slow...

Yea the links are fine, Sonic is region locked it seems, but vii and dark souls works, I guess it's a search problem for those two >_>

Divius

Of course, but I assume most games without an obvious walk-down-this-corridor-and-switch-the-button mission set have this problem. I also recently had it with Amnesia :/ Just.. don't stop playing :p

Ah, the dreaded Anor Londo archers. Even after numeral playthroughs they still occasionally manage to screw up my run.

I've haven't enjoying DS.
I dislike how other (jerk) players invade my game with way superior equipment and strange powers (not to say they hacked but I've seen... strange things), and the item drops lows to almost nothing if you play as a zombie.
That is not exactly how it works though. You can 'be human' and 'have humanity'; Being human allows summons and invasions, having humanity increases the droprates.

edit: but yeah some invaders are dicks and there is some hacking as well :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Looking into why ModBot failed to edit the FF7 giveaway

Code:
GA: Heartbeat   00:47:14.487346 1386690434.49
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request m.gorecki for 11620684E4664176   00:47:15.106077 1386690435.11
GA: Claim Process Throttle: Poster has won 1 times in last week.        00:47:15.160352 1386690435.16
GA: Claim Process Thottle: Use 900      00:47:15.160483 1386690435.16
GA: Claim Process Throttle: Poster must not have a win since 1386689535 00:47:15.160522 1386690435.16
GA: Apparent last win is 1386276370 so OK       00:47:15.161754 1386690435.16
GA: Claims Process: I am going to give Final Fantasy VII to m.gorecki. Added to PM Queue.       00:47:15.167710 1386690435.17
GA: Claim Process: Begin post edit mark, looking for post to edit out   00:47:15.167934 1386690435.17
GA: Claim Process: Did not find an edit URL, begin thread search        00:47:15.168658 1386690435.17
GA: Claim Process: I am looking for the key MB-11620684E4664176 00:47:15.169050 1386690435.17
GA: Claim Process: I am opening http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719449&page=999999&nojs=1  00:47:15.169106 1386690435.17
GA: Claim Process: No results, go back one page to 103  00:47:18.090535 1386690438.09
GA: Claim Process: I am opening http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719449&page=103&nojs=1     00:47:18.090680 1386690438.09
GA: Claim Process: Go back one more page to 102 00:47:26.582395 1386690446.58
GA: Claim Process: I am opening http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719449&page=102&nojs=1     00:47:26.582531 1386690446.58
GA: Claim Process: Go back one more page to 101 00:47:32.970955 1386690452.97
GA: Claim Process: I am opening http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719449&page=101&nojs=1     00:47:32.971101 1386690452.97
GA: Claim Process: Go back one more page to 100 00:47:38.490238 1386690458.49
GA: Claim Process: I am opening http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719449&page=100&nojs=1     00:47:38.490344 1386690458.49
GA: Claim Process: Go back one more page to 99  00:47:45.031486 1386690465.03
GA: Claim Process: I am opening http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719449&page=99&nojs=1      00:47:45.031651 1386690465.03
GA: Claim Process: Added receipt to queue -- receipt is Jørdan / m.gorecki / Final Fantasy VII  00:47:50.571006 1386690470.57
GA: Path F      00:47:50.689799 1386690470.69
GA: RECEIPT Composing a receipt for Jørdan      00:47:50.691031 1386690470.69
GA: RECEIPT Receipt posted to PM Queue  00:47:50.695926 1386690470.7
GA: PM Queue: PM Sent to m.gorecki with subject You win Final Fantasy VII! using ModBot 1       00:47:54.073290 1386690474.07
GA: PM Queue: PM Sent to Jørdan with subject Your giveaway receipt using ModBot 2       00:47:57.893989 1386690477.89

So it looks like it wasn't a failed edit, it just didn't find the post to edit at all, which could be a unicode glitch. Rats. Hmm. Will keep investigating.

The_Monk

Sprint up to them and don't stop, arrows can't hit you when you're moving. Then you could do whatever you want once you get up close, either parry the attack, roll (caution: you might fall), and kill the right dude.

They hit me once before climbing all the way up. It seems that I can't also lock on target, that makes things worst. Guess I need to keep trying but after that another challenging Boss will appear... Oh well, I'll keep trying, thanks for the tip!

Jørdan;93196606 said:
Your right in that the 'ø' was causing difficulties previously however Stumpokapow took time out to work on a solution and I was able to send and receive PMs from ModBot concerning the giveaway. I think what happened was my ignorantly adding the image has interfered with the editing to say it was taken and by whom. I'll add that in myself and refrain in the future from messing with the quoted text.

Ah I see, either way thanks for doing that kind giveaway. ;)

Thorgal

---

Here are seven ways you can get past this part depending on what sort of character you are using :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBmKLcTifo0

But as Anteater already mentioned the most important thing is you do not stop moving no matter what on the way to him .

Anteater

They hit me once before climbing all the way up. It seems that I can't also lock on target, that makes things worst. Guess I need to keep trying but after that another challenging Boss will appear... Oh well, I'll keep trying, thanks for the tip!

They shouldn't if you use run, but yeah if they hit you it might knock you off even if you're blocking.

Thorgal

Ah I see, either way thanks for doing that kind giveaway. ;)

All ill say is : prepare to die .. alot.

The_Monk

Here are seven ways you can get past this part depending on what sort of character you are using :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBmKLcTifo0

But as Anteater already mentioned the most important thing is you do not stop moving no matter what on the way to him .

Thanks for the link fellow GAFfer. I'm a Pyro, but I'm almost sure I messed up a bit my build. Which is okay since so far I'm able to wield heavier swords but I can also use one soul arrow here and there.

All ill say is : prepare to die .. alot.

I know. Well I'm already very happy for reaching Anor Londo. That felt great since Sen's Fortress was the worst for me but I was very lucky this time around!

Jørdan

Looking into why ModBot failed to edit the FF7 giveaway. So it looks like it wasn't a failed edit, it just didn't find the post to edit at all. Hmm.

I thought it might be me adding to the quote so I'm in the process of creating another giveaway which I won't sully and see if that works. I checked with the winner and they received a a PM from ModBot with the key so that part is fine.

Working on a PM just now in reply, thought I'd check out it was working first. Thanks again :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jørdan;93197836 said:
I thought it might be me adding to the quote so I'm in the process of creating another giveaway which I won't sully and see if that works. I checked with the winner and they received a a PM from ModBot with the key so that part is fine.

Working on a PM just now in reply, thought I'd check out it was working first. Thanks again :)

Still poking at it to make sure I've got all the glitches. You might experience some delays or issues right now, I'll contact you again when I'm sure it's working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom