• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
leftovers from the bundle. Hope you guys like it.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cities in Motion 2 -- MB-0E3BF6333D210815 - Taken by denx. 7 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die GOTY -- MB-E8A0B457ADAFC7EC - Taken by 73V3N. 5 entrants total.

t1386730878z1.png

The_Monk

When crafting a badge people still get one emotion and one background or that will only probably happen during the Winter Sales my good people?

Sajjaja

Maybe it's different elsewhere or they changed it but In Germany you usually get the codes/cards from the retailer (not everyone is participating) and if he runs out then that's that.

Ooooo. Damn, was hoping that wasn't the case. Canadian Bestbuy just got the R7 260X on their online store and it doesn't mention Never Settle. I guess I'll call them up to confirm. I have a $100 Bestbuy GC that I have been waiting to use for computer parts but Canadian BBs selection for PC parts is abysmal.

denx

So I started playing Spelunky... and I think I'm finally starting to see why people always rave about this game, which is somewhat surprising because I tried the free version a long time ago and I didn't really care for it from what little I can remember, but to my surprise the paid version has managed to grab me and I don't know why.

It's not like I don't have problems with the game. The first time a giant boulder came out of nowhere and killed me was complete bullshit, and I really don't like that stupid ghost. It kills my fun when I'm just minding my bussiness exploring the levels and getting loot. I'm slowly getting used to the ghost's presence, but I'd prefer if the ghost just didn't exist.

But yeah, from what little I've played it's been some good (if somewhat frustrating) fun. I put it in the same category of "games I can play in-between other games or when I don't know what to play" as games as CSGO, TF2, Poker Night and Duke Nukem 3D.

cicero

It's not like I don't have problems with the game. The first time a giant boulder came out of nowhere and killed me was complete bullshit, and I really don't like that stupid ghost. It kills my fun when I'm just minding my bussiness exploring the levels and getting loot. I'm slowly getting used to the ghost's presence, but I'd prefer if the ghost just didn't exist.
The giant boulder only comes if you do something though. The ghost is pretty annoying until you start going through levels fast enough that it isn't usually a huge issue.

derExperte

Thanks for answering. For some reason I thought it was only during Sales that you would get the background and the icon.

Well there are special sale emoticons and sale wallpapers (not confirmed but I'm sure that'll happen). You don't get those yet and later only by crafting the sale badge. Or for every badge, can't remember exactly how it was during summer.

fallout

Snow Globes are gonna be just like Mystery Cards during the Summer Sale, they're gonna be worth fuckall as soon as the event starts. No need to try to buy them now.
Unless Valve fucks with everyone and puts them into high demand somehow. That's pretty unlikely, though.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to extract Steam keys from Gamestop's proprietary distribution service, Impulse, while avoiding the hassle of installing their launcher and setting up an account?

Kanokare

Is there an easier way to extract keys from Gamestop's proprietary distribution service, Impulse, while avoiding the hassle of installing their launcher and setting up an account?

Its been a while but I was able to live chat with them on their Digital website. If that option is available still I don't know.

Blizzard

Banned
steam_updates4nint.png

Is this new? This is what I have been asking for FOREVER. I heard someone mention it with Starbound and I tried it myself.

A problem with Steam updates for years has been that if you turned off the option to automatically update, I feel nearly certain that you always only got a popup that told you the game needed updated and FORCED you to update. This meant you could never keep playing old versions unless you updated and then recopied the files outside of Steam, or unless you stayed purely offline, that sort of thing.

I don't know if this is a Starbound only option, but I'm going to try it with PCARS, another often-updated early access game, and then see if I can find a released game that still gets updates fairly often so I can reasonably conclude this is available for all games.

KarmaCow

I think they added it to the non-beta client fairly recently along with some other download management stuff but yea it's very welcome.

Oreoleo

steam_updates4nint.png

Is this new? This is what I have been asking for FOREVER. I heard someone mention it with Starbound and I tried it myself.

A problem with Steam updates for years has been that if you turned off the option to automatically update, I feel nearly certain that you always only got a popup that told you the game needed updated and FORCED you to update. This meant you could never keep playing old versions unless you updated and then recopied the files outside of Steam, or unless you stayed purely offline, that sort of thing.

I don't know if this is a Starbound only option, but I'm going to try it with PCARS, another often-updated early access game, and then see if I can find a released game that still gets updates fairly often so I can reasonably conclude this is available for all games.

I had this happen the other day with Payday 2. I assume it's for all/most games.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Its been a while but I was able to live chat with them on their Digital website. If that option is available still I don't know.

Website only lists telephone number and an email based service. Both of which are closed until tomorrow. Thanks for the tip though.

Parsnip

Couple extras, have fun.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Snuggle Truck -- -- MB-E13FE8D3822730F0 - Taken by Boss Doggie
And Yet It Moves -- -- MB-070DC306669018DD - Taken by Tolerance

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can I disable it? Seeing some of the regional prices depresses me :|

Yes there will be an option to disable it completely.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yes there will be an option to disable it completely.
Can I leave it on at all times to bask on my regional pricing advantage and/or disadvantage at any given time, as opposed to a popup that only shows up when I mouse over it?

I think you already answered this in a more official way, but I haven't seen it. I know I asked about it before.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can I leave it on at all times to bask on my regional pricing advantage and/or disadvantage at any given time, as opposed to a popup that only shows up when I mouse over it?

I think you already answered this in a more official way, but I haven't seen it. I know I asked about it before.

Yes I'm looking into an option that will display it at all times (although it'll be a pretty big section below the price)

It will look something like this:

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
WHAT?! What makes people think this?

There have been an inordinate amount of EA deals over the past nine or so months. My take is that either EA is gathering data it can extrapolate to get a sense of how much money it's leaving on the table by petulantly ignoring Steam or it's just giving people plenty of opportunities to pick up what remains of its catalogue before those games are also yanked. Unlike Steam, Origin has no overarching API -- Battlelog is endemic to the BF games themselves and ditto for Autolog and NFS -- so it's literally nothing more than a launcher, but even so I'd guess that if EA were to return to Steam, it'd follow in the footsteps of Ubi and have its Origin titles launch individualised instances of the client.

It's a general feature that was in beta a few weeks ago or so, although, naturally, I didn't encounter it myself until last night, when Ubi released Black Flag's third patch.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yes I'm looking into an option that will display it at all times (although it'll be a pretty big section below the price)

Couldn't you horizontally space the prices, making, let's say, 2 columns of pricing, as opposed to one big column on the left and a bunch of white (in this case, blue) space?

I know it's probably more work, since you'd have to make a different style for both the popup or the always on display, but it would look... better...

jshackles

Couldn't you horizontally space the prices, making, let's say, 3 columns of pricing, as opposed to one big column on the left and a bunch of white (in this case, blue) space?

I know it's probably more work, since you'd have to make a different style for either the popup or the always on display, but it would look... better...

Given the way this section of code works, I'm not sure if that will be possible and certainly won't be right away. We're setting up an options screen so you can configure which countries you want to compare to and (hopefully) get it set up so that you can also choose the number of countries. So obviously less countries to compare to would be less space it would take up.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
There have been an inordinate amount of EA deals over the past nine or so months. My take is that either EA is gathering data it can extrapolate to get a sense of how much money it's leaving on the table by petulantly ignoring Steam or it's just giving people plenty of opportunities to pick up what remains of its catalogue before those games are also yanked. Unlike Steam, Origin has no overarching API -- Battlelog is endemic to the BF games themselves and ditto for Autolog and NFS -- so it's literally nothing more than a launcher, but even so I'd guess that if EA were to return to Steam, it'd follow in the footsteps of Ubi and have its Origin titles launch individualised instances of the client.

EA coming back to steam is not going to happen unless they come back just to troll with prices, delayed releases and what not but I don't think it will happen, they will die with Origin. I know you want more games to buy on steam but EA, EA is not coming back Jase.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

the last game bioware ever made before they sold out to EA and destroyed humanity and affected mass for the third time (so, you know, Dragon Age) -- MB-A97DC106D427E1E2 - Taken by FOX_

gogogogogogo

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
EA coming back to steam is not going to happen unless they come back just to troll with prices, delayed releases and what not but I don't think it will happen, they will die with Origin. I know you want more games to buy on steam but EA, EA is not coming back Jase.

tumblr_inline_ml0socltzog6.gif

Heh, Final Fantasy VIII and Steam thread VIII

Pity we're not going to reach IX. :(

FOX_

Neo Member
gogogogogogo

Whoa, sweet! Thank you so much for this one, HP. Loved me some KOTOR back in the day, but never got around to this one. Curiously, I played the Dragon Age II demo when it came out without ever having played the original, so I was present at the start of the HMS EA-Bioware's sinking. Thank you again!

mannerbot

Just went back and finally finished Escape Goat, great game! Not sure why I stopped before, I couldn't even remember what my abilities did yet still wound up having little difficulty with the remaining puzzles. Will try out the bonus dungeon later.

maty

Just went back and finally finished Escape Goat, great game! Not sure why I stopped before, I couldn't even remember what my abilities did yet still wound up having little difficulty with the remaining puzzles. Will try out the bonus dungeon later.

Good luck with those, it took me 25 hours to beat the 5 extra dungeons. FYI, they are more about skill than puzzle solving.

That big section works fine for me. I'm used to seeing that and to be honest I rarely scroll down further anyway.

What would be nice is an option to toggle each currency on or off. Typically I would only want to have on USD and AUD because even if it was cheaper in another region I wouldn't really bother waiting or looking for a buyer. Generally I just use the info to look for it on GMG or some other USD site.

Edit. And I just noticed you already said you are doing that :p But yeah, I'll leave the request there as a thumbs up!

Oh hey. Didn't see any talk about this, but the Steam iOS app/mobile site updated. It looks more in line with the Big Picture interface in the navigation, but still uses the old iOS keyboard. Overall it's looking nicer though. Here's a pile of pics that even though they're in the Quote tag are still big. If it's annoying, I'll make em links. Lemme know:
I did, a few pages back, this update is half-assed, but any update is welcomed.

Oh hey. Didn't see any talk about this, but the Steam iOS app/mobile site updated. It looks more in line with the Big Picture interface in the navigation, but still uses the old iOS keyboard. Overall it's looking nicer though. Here's a pile of pics that even though they're in the Quote tag are still big. If it's annoying, I'll make em links. Lemme know:

Nice !

Now if only they updated their site / windows app.

It's really starting to look dated.

Salsa

no community activity feed still?

edit: hey thats me

Whoa, sweet! Thank you so much for this one, HP. Loved me some KOTOR back in the day, but never got around to this one. Curiously, I played the Dragon Age II demo when it came out without ever having played the original, so I was present at the start of the HMS EA-Bioware's sinking. Thank you again!

Don't forget to install the Skip Fade mod.

You have been warned.

mannerbot

Good luck with those, it took me 25 hours to beat the 5 extra dungeons. FYI, they are more about skill than puzzle solving.

Yeah, I read that they're basically fan-made trolly levels. Will still give it a stab at some point. On a related note, I just watched the trailer for Escape Goat 2 and I'm sad that people can't appreciate good pixel art. Escape Goat's graphics were so charming, but the HD art in the sequel... meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom