• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adaen

Looking through the steam list of games released in 2013 for the GOTY vote with the help of Enhanced Steam made me realize I own more than 170 games released this year, not counting the many F2P games.
The vast majority of that is from various bundles (~130) and the other ones were mostly payed with money gotten through selling cards and at a big discount.
There are only three games I got at release for full (russian) price of which one was a major disappointment (Rome II).

It's really a good time to be a PC gamer.

On the downside I only played like 30 of this games for a substantial time and have beaten only a fraction of this, which makes me another victim of Steam.

Don't laugh! (><)
Really, level of temptations on steam is like constant ninth wave, we have to train against it somehow. Any ideas?
borg1.gif

I had to.

Arthea

I did the whole "New King's Bounty game?! ...free to play with add-on packs, oh." reaction. :(

It's still hard to pass on though, but I try *sighs*

It made me laugh, that game. It's pretty hilarious.

And honestly it hooked me up more than most AAA games.

same, played it all in one sit, it's pure stupid fun :)
We need games like that, I mean more.

resistanceisfutile.pic

I had to.

I asked for it (><)

First post,just click on the image that says and shows ModBot.
Duh, thanks :)

I was looking through my Humble Bundle library the other day and found I had an unredeemed Steam key for Humble Indie Bundle #3, which includes the games Crayon Physics Deluxe, Cogs, Hammerfight, And Yet It Moves, and my favorite, VVVVVV.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Humble Indie Bundle #3 -- MB-11A224F9C357B6FF - Taken by Rand6. 11 entrants total.

t1386763865z1.png

jediyoshi

New 25% off voucher for GMG
GMG25-XI6UI-D5GBQ

Not many existing sales for it to stack onto. The bethesda games are cheaper during steam sales.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh, nice, I scored a Guardian foil from Doorways and apparently nobody has sold one yet plus there are none listed. This is the part where it sits idle for a week before five others get one and crash the price.

PriitV

I quite like AC IV: Black Flag. 14 hours in and it's still giving me tutorial missions here and there. I should do story missions faster and not sail around, because it seems like game designers didn't want you to explore before certain missions.

Arthea

Haha, I don't want to push my luck and ultimately sell it for $2 or less. I currently have it listed at $12, which, assuming success, will put $10.44 in my virtual pocket.

That reminds me, last week I sold my first my first foil for more than 1€, I think I priced it too low, it sold so fast.
How do you decide what price to ask for it?

JaseC

That reminds me, last week I sold my first my first foil for more than 1&#8364;, I think I priced it too low, it sold so fast.
How do you decide what price to ask for it?

You can use the history graph as a guide, but if there isn't one I'd recommend somewhere between $10 and $15, depending on how lucky you're feeling -- that said, though, the unfortunate reality is that ever since Valve removed the level 10 restriction on card drops, the vast majority of people are happy to sit on their hands until the market crashes.

Arthea

You can use the history graph as a guide, but if there isn't one I'd recommend somewhere between $10 and $15, depending on how lucky you're feeling -- that said, though, the unfortunate reality is that ever since Valve removed the level 10 restriction on card drops, the vast majority of people are happy to sit on their hands until the market crashes.

Ya, I checked it, but prices were varying from 2€ to 10€ mostly, and I went for lowest. Now I think that was mistake. Oh well, at least it sold fast.
Do you think market will crash?

Jawmuncher

I know it was already talked about but LOLZ at that Jack Keane discount on steam.
Guys a legend now after the GOG Insomnia Sale. Though I don't think anyone is going to buy that game still.

Arthea

I know it was already talked about but LOLZ at that Jack Keane discount on steam.
Guys a legend now after the GOG Insomnia Sale. Though I don't think anyone is going to buy that game still.

I'm not buying it, ever! I still see nightmares with it (><)
well, I might buy it some day, accidentally

JaseC

Ya, I checked it, but prices were varying from 2&#8364; to 10&#8364; mostly, and I went for lowest. Now I think that was mistake. Oh well, at least it sold fast.
Do you think market will crash?

They all do eventually, some much later than others. The moment somebody who wants to make a quick buck or two -- literally -- gets a foil is when the market drops to rock bottom. You have a snowball's chance in hell of selling, say, your $10 foil if somebody had previously sold one for a fraction of that.

Nabs

What's with Game Dev Tycoon? It's been hovering around that top 10 spot for the last day or so with no discount.

Arthea

They all do eventually, some much later than others. The moment somebody who wants to make a quick buck or two -- literally -- gets a foil is when the market drops to rock bottom. You have a snowball's chance in hell of selling, say, your $10 foil if somebody had previously sold one for a fraction of that.

I misunderstood you, thought you are saying that all foils will drop in price dramatically.
I see how that works for foils, yes, but keeping in mind that new games with cards are added almost daily, there will be expensive foils all the time, especially because they are so hard to get.

JaseC

I misunderstood you, thought you are saying that all foils will drop in price dramatically.
I see how that works for foils, yes, but keeping in mind that new games with cards are added almost daily, there will be expensive foils all the time, especially because they are so hard to get.

The presence of expensive foils doesn't really mean much if they're not selling. Consider R.I.P.D.'s foils, for example: all the cards with listings above $10 haven't sold at all, versus the others hovering around $5 which have sold in the past.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Foils are really only worth what people are willing to pay for them, and people are mostly smart enough to realise that if there's only one card up at $10 or whatever then there'll eventually be more cards up at around $1 down the line. I got the first foil Sequence card on the market, put it up for £10, eventually went for about £0.80.

Arthea

The presence of expensive foils doesn't really mean much if they're not selling. Consider R.I.P.D.'s foils, for example: all the cards with listings above $10 haven't sold at all, versus the others hovering around $5 which have sold in the past.

I see your point, that's why I asked, so anything above $10 is unreasonable price.
You surely do your research. :)

Foils are really only worth what people are willing to pay for them, and people are mostly smart enough to realise that if there's only one card up at $10 or whatever then there'll eventually be more cards up at around $1 down the line. I got the first foil Sequence card on the market, put it up for £10, eventually went for about £0.80.

Talking about Sequence. Have you played it all, or even finished?
I like concept and what I played seemed interesting enough, but seeing as later spells are really long and even one failed input negates spell and drain mana, I thought it would be pain to finish.

JaseC

I still have two foils -- and they're the only two available -- listed at $2.72. They've been collecting digital dust for a week now.

I see your point, that's why I asked, so anything above $10 is unreasonable price.
You surely do your research. :)

I wouldn't say $10+ is unreasonable, it's just that most people wait it out. If your card is the only one on offer then there's little harm in trying to flog it off for a higher price; you might get lucky (RionaaM recently sold a foil for $10, IIRC).

Behold! Beautiful Steam Grid, with no borders! Now that the grid is finally looking right, I'll probably resume grabbing custom images for the dodgier looking ones.

steam_grid.png

Thanks again for the tip, Sajjaja.

Tizoc

Who here uses an External portable HDD that has all their Steam game install and update data stored in? I'm thinking of putting 10 GB+ games into an External HDD to save space on my system =P

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Who here uses an External portable HDD that has all their Steam game install and update data stored in? I'm thinking of putting 10 GB+ games into an External HDD to save space on my system =P

I do. On USB 3.0, it doesn't really add a noticeable amount of time to loading.

I wouldn't do that if I were you, portable HDDs are designed for storage, not intensive R/W.

Please, don't tell me that only way to get them is to craft badges. pretty please?
Thankfully you can buy them from the market as well!

But really there will probably be a method of ways to acquire them during the sale, like after every so and so number of votes and after every 10 or so dollars you spend during it.

The only thing I want from these cards is a wider selection of basic Steam emoticons from their crafting pool of rewards.
B1
and
D
need some company. Preferably a kissy face.

KiDdYoNe

Woooooo! Shitty cards are back!

Anyway, my father accidently bought a game from my account and i send a ticket to Valve about refund. Anyone had this experience? Any chance on getting money back? :)

Dr Dogg

I'm guessing what with recent developments in Uruguay that Salsa might be a little preoccupied around Winter Sale thread time? Not that I'm suggesting anything at all ;)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm not going to get burned again by jumping in early on those sale cards, last year got a bunch at around 80p each. What a fool I was. Will pick them up for a pittance afterwards!

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I'm not going to get burned again by jumping in early on those sale cards, last year got a bunch at around 80p each. What a fool I was. Will pick them up for a pittance afterwards!

Yes, I can't wait to get some and sell them with the current prices.

Rand6

Duh, thanks :)

I was looking through my Humble Bundle library the other day and found I had an unredeemed Steam key for Humble Indie Bundle #3, which includes the games Crayon Physics Deluxe, Cogs, Hammerfight, And Yet It Moves, and my favorite, VVVVVV.

Thank you skullmuffins! I have none of them.

Ah I remember the speculation on summer cards being of any worth and people getting upset that people were selling them for so cheap. Here we are half a year later and not much of a dent has been made on the availability in the market.

I did end up buying a set of them for around $10 when they were still mystery cards though so I lost on that gamble, but it was card money I was playing with anyway.

Time to go play Arcade Mode then now that another developer took a swing at The Club-esque high-score chasing in a shooter.
Ohh I really do need to get this game.

Arthea

I hope we can get them for voting, because I bought so many games at autumn sale, that I'll have hard time finding what to buy.
And I'm not letting horror of them being rewards only for badges sway me. I'm not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom