• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backlogger

Having just lost a PS3 to the heat and having rolled out hardware in Australia before this is actually really true.

But really, what would they hope to learn from this beta test? We have mini pcs and I bet there will be a shitload of steam box designs. So might as well just start getting it out there.

Maybe it was more for the PR and building buzz for the OS and hardware

Having just lost a PS3 to the heat and having rolled out hardware in Australia before this is actually really true.

But really, what would they hope to learn from this beta test? We have mini pcs and I bet there will be a shitload of steam box designs. So might as well just start getting it out there.

They might want data about SteamOS and the controller.

MRORANGE

Being an ITX won't help either, cooling for these systems still needs to pretty much on top to cool a Titan or any other high end gpu.

MRORANGE

Sorry, I feel like a dick posting this all the time, I'll try and limit this to once a day, so other regions of the world can get notice. I think we've nearly reached saturation point in voter turnout anyway.

<-- Click for info.

t1387476000z0.png

People who have been added to the poll so far (send a pm if you can't see your name.):
RealityExists, JaseC, PriitV, valouris, More_Badass, Baron von Loathsome, zkylon, BennyBlanco, Cheddahz, PetriP-TNT, xenoflux2113, OldAsUrSock, Nzyme32, didamangi, Zia, Tenrius, ArjanN, chronomac, jshackles, Iron Badger, Intheflorsh, SinineSiil, vermadas, Dice, Xavin, Karu, Mengy, Dambrosi, Camel Master, Baron_Calamity, Backlogger, Storm360, Wok, DukeBobby, PandaPedinte, Roboleon, Slyjss, cicero, Nabs, Cth, theMrCravens, mannerbot, NaM, Atraveller, arts&crafts, MMBosstones86, toddhunter, RionaaM, Whools, Rayge, destx, DXLelouch153, sofiabudapest, Robert J. Sullivan, ctw0e, wetflame, Phinor, Jawmuncher, Dolor, kafiend, kurahador, DeadlyVirus, Locust, Chairmanchuck, Tesseract, PhaZZe, Ezra2680, KenOD, MulderWasTaken, Lain, hitoshi, adaen, Blizzard, Boss Doggie, Khronico, Jørdan, Faabulous, Ryne, Widdly Scuds, Glass Rebel, grindamasta, Tellaerin,

Sajjaja

Sorry, I feel like a dick posting this all the time, I'll try and limit this to once a day, so other regions of the world can get notice. I think we've nearly reached saturation point in voter turnout anyway.

t1387476000z0.png

People who have been added to the poll so far (send a pm if you can't see your name.):

I don't even remember what games came out this year.

EDIT:

Beaten. Thanks.

So I don't see myself abandoning my PC for a steambox anytime soon, what I am interested in is the controller. That's what I really wanted to play with if I was selected.

the stuff I have to say to myself to make it easier...

Momentary

Banned
For those who were interested, I found 10 minutes of Dungeon of the Endless gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5w5tcJFKvs

Seems very methodical and strategic. From what I read on Joystiq and RPS, you go room to room, door by door, and must plan out your defenses carefully before opening that next door. You also have to protect the generator because if the lights go out, then it's all over

I'm interested in getting this tonight. I hate buying early access games, but I might give this a chance.

sprinkles

Eh, it's really hard to crack a CPU these days when installing it.
Not like 10 years ago. You'll be fine.
While that is certainly true for Intel's OEM cooler, I nearly shat myself when I put on the Coolermaster Evo 212. The board creaked like it would break any second, but at least the PC is dead quiet now.

Turfster

While that is certainly true for Intel's OEM cooler, I nearly shat myself when I put on the Coolermaster Evo 212. The board creaked like it would break any second, but at least the PC is dead quiet now.

Oh, the board still creaks a bit when you put something heavy on it, but I haven't been able to replicate the chipped CPU core I managed back in the (bad) good old first gen Athlon days.

denx

Didn't get an email for the Steam Machine beta. Valve why you forsake me? :(

t1387476000z0.png

Sent my list.

Acccent

Steam GOTY Voting

I can't believe how incredibly hard this is.

• 5. The Swapper
  • 4. Starseed Pilgrim
  • 3. Proteus
  • 2. Papers, Please
  • 1. Fez

Honourable mentions (also known as 'mentioned here to lessen the frustration of not being able to put them in the top 5):
  • Cart Life
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • The Stanley Parable
  • Mirrormoon EP
  • Gone Home
|
  • Dyad
  • Spelunky
  • Brothers
  • Guacamelee

And this is still super flawed because, some of these games, I haven't played enough, and others that I haven't played at all are probably missing...

...what a year.

(posting because okay it clutters the thread but come one, discussions!)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Congrats to raugupatis for getting one of those Steam Machines.

The UK. We have chavs though, who are arguably worse than killer spiders.

Worse I would say, neds included. Oh we summoned a cold freeze across and while it got rid of any spiders, it did nothing against them.

You can't even make a great moment in cinema like you can with spiders. http://youtu.be/Bksvon-hSDM

So I sunk about two dozen hours into Risk of Rain over the last couple of weeks and I don't think I like it very much. I don't see myself going back to it for very long and what I got out of it hasn't left me satisfied. The OT calls it a side-scrolling Binding of Isaac, and I see elements of that in it as well as Super House of Dead Ninjas which I both enjoyed, so I started to think as to what put me off on RoR.

For starters, it's a game where most of your options are locked out at the start; you only have access to a single class and the pool of items you can possibly stumble upon in a given playthrough is small. You have to complete various challenges within a playthrough to gradually unlock everything, and Binding of Isaac is similar up to that point, but where they diverge is Isaac's scope starts off small. When you just start BoI your full playthroughs aren't very long, and each subsequent playthrough unlocks more and more of the dungeon to get through and as you gain more items and characters to use, the game itself gets longer and your end goal extends as a result; the game naturally opens up to you and never feels limited, you start off with a shorter success cycle and expand it from there. In Risk of Rain the scope of the game never changes; from the start you're playing through the same number of stages and enemy types and are just given less to work with.

Now Super House of Dead Ninjas approaches unlocks in the same manner as RoR, and I'd say it's still pretty annoying there, but where Super House makes it more tolerable to play from the start is its combat. Whether you're starting the game fresh or have all the upgrades and potential item drops, the combat is fast and frenetic throughout and the basics never really change. RoR is more contingent on continually accruing items and wearing down increasingly spongy enemies with pure spam while kiting around, so it does end up being more of a slog to jump through the hoops to unlock more. The combat ends up feeling shallow because of its reliance on items and mindlessly wailing on enemies, MMO-ish in that your skills are tied to cooldowns as well.

I think one of the biggest flaws with RoR is its level design, in that the level geometry is always static. Spawns for everything -- crates, teleporter, enemies, yourself -- are randomized, but the actual structure of the level itself remains identical every playthrough. You play through five stages in a playthrough (barring you don't choose to loop back before the final level), and stages three and four (possibly two as well, I can't quite remember) have two variants that you can come across, but the static nature of them is true across the board. So for all the replayability the game tries to promote, actually playing through it quickly gets repetitive.

Oh and Dice, don't even think about touching the game there's an ever present difficulty increase tied to a persistent timer which is the game's way of limiting you from just farming a stage for all it's worth. You'd hate it.

I guess what the game has going for it over the two games I compare it to is its online multiplayer, and I generally felt the game was balanced towards it. And multiplayer in general makes tedious design more tolerable on the whole, so I can see my complaints above being handwaved just by having another person or three there.

xJavonta

Banned
So I sunk about two dozen hours into Risk of Rain over the last couple of weeks and I don't think I like it very much. I don't see myself going back to it for very long and what I got out of it hasn't left me satisfied. The OT calls it a side-scrolling Binding of Isaac, and I see elements of that in it as well as Super House of Dead Ninjas which I both enjoyed, so I started to think as to what put me off on RoR.

For starters, it's a game where most of your options are locked out at the start; you only have access to a single class and the pool of items you can possibly stumble upon in a given playthrough is small. You have to complete various challenges within a playthrough to gradually unlock everything, and Binding of Isaac is similar up to that point, but where they diverge is Isaac's scope starts off small. When you just start BoI your full playthroughs aren't very long, and each subsequent playthrough unlocks more and more of the dungeon to get through and as you gain more items and characters to use, the game itself gets longer and your end goal extends as a result; the game naturally opens up to you and never feels limited, you start off with a shorter success cycle and expand it from there. In Risk of Rain the scope of the game never changes; from the start you're playing through the same number of stages and enemy types and are just given less to work with.

Now Super House of Dead Ninjas approaches unlocks in the same manner as RoR, and I'd say it's still pretty annoying there, but where Super House makes it more tolerable to play from the start is its combat. Whether you're starting the game fresh or have all the upgrades and potential item drops, the combat is fast and frenetic throughout and the basics never really change. RoR is more contingent on continually accruing items and wearing down increasingly spongy enemies with pure spam while kiting around, so it does end up being more of a slog to jump through the hoops to unlock more. The combat ends up feeling shallow because of its reliance on items and mindlessly wailing on enemies, MMO-ish in that your skills are tied to cooldowns as well.

I think one of the biggest flaws with RoR is its level design, in that the level geometry is always static. Spawns for everything -- crates, teleporter, enemies, yourself -- are randomized, but the actual structure of the level itself remains identical every playthrough. You play through five stages in a playthrough (barring you don't choose to loop back before the final level), and stages three and four (possibly two as well, I can't quite remember) have two variants that you can come across, but the static nature of them is true across the board. So for all the replayability the game tries to promote, actually playing through it quickly gets repetitive.

Oh and Dice, don't even think about touching the game there's an ever present difficulty increase tied to a persistent timer which is the game's way of limiting you from just farming a stage for all it's worth. You'd hate it.

I guess what the game has going for it over the two games I compare it to is its online multiplayer, and I generally felt the game was balanced towards it. And multiplayer in general makes tedious design more tolerable on the whole, so I can see my complaints above being handwaved just by having another person or three there.
Damn, and I was JUST thinking about buying this. Now I'm hesitant

So now that valve's sending the steam machines on dec 13th, will we, without the steam machines, be able to download steamos shortly after the 13th?

Aitor

have fun

ModBot said:
Instructions for Aitor:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Aztaka -- MB-5D8303BF4D908D70 - Taken by Sajjaja

nexen

Congrats to raugupatis for getting one of those Steam Machines.

Worse I would say, neds included. Oh we summoned a cold freeze across and while it got rid of any spiders, it did nothing against them.

You can't even make a great moment in cinema like you can with spiders. http://youtu.be/Bksvon-hSDM

Hmph. There is no such thing as a killer spider. Any given heavy appliance in your house is far more likely to kill you.

Momentary

Banned
Damn, and I was JUST thinking about buying this. Now I'm hesitant

The game was real good fun for me. I played the hell out of it by myself. From Easy to Monsoon. You can still unlock items and characters on easy, but it doesn't save the fact that you've picked them up.

The only negative thing is that it's a hassle to play online multiplayer. They really need to fix it up with some sort of matchmaking.

xJavonta

Banned
Demo away!

For what it's worth, Risk of Rain is one of my favorites of the year. With 3 other people in co-op it's a blast.

Actually you're in luck, there is a demo.

b10
You guys are awesome lol, thanks!

The game was real good fun for me. I played the hell out of it by myself. From Easy to Monsoon. You can still unlock items and characters on easy, but it doesn't save the fact that you've picked them up.

The only negative thing is that it's a hassle to play online multiplayer. They really need to fix it up with some sort of matchmaking.
Shame about multiplayer but I'd probably be doing local for a game like this anyway lol, thanks for the impressions! I'm gonna give the demo a try then decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom