• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay IndieStatik just sold me on Samurai Gunn
But wait; there’s a single-player Survival Mode, and it’s worth the gold doubloons you earn through menial labor by itself. It really, really is.

Imagine a western samurai movie, with cinematic widescreen black bars top and bottom, narrowing the view to focus on the horizon. There’s epic guitar noodling over a dusty desert that’s lit by a red dusk creeping down in the background. That’s your stage.

Now for the duelists. Each armed with the acrobatic skills of an experienced circus act, a Bushido warrior with a blade that cuts through flesh, as if it coats nothing but hot air, and a gun that blasts golden bullets that melt the skin as they sear through.

These are all details imagined in my mind as I play the pixel-heavy Samurai Gunn, chopping down multiple foes at a time, trying to reach a specific kill count with the limited lives I’ve been granted. It’s not a power trip, though. It’s a measure of skill in which a single mis-timed swing of my sword can result in my gore splattered against the wall, left to stain, a permanent reminder of my earlier failing. The brutal nature and seemingly smart moves of the AI make it a challenge worthy of your time.

You only have a few bullets to play around with during each life, and they’re slower moving than you’d expect, allowing the enemy to dodge, should they have a keen sense. Not only that, but in Samurai Gunn, shooting a bullet can be more deadly to yourself than your opponent. They can hit it straight back at you with their sword if they’re on the ball. Then it’s your turn to react. You jump, swing, clash swords, shoot bullets vertically and pop through the passages to the sides of the screen to confuse your opponent with screenwrap travel.

Each time you get a kill, those cinematic widescreen bars invade the screen, highlighting the moment. The last kill is the best as it zooms in on the messy scene, going so slowly it’s almost paused so that you can take in glory or defeat.

There’s more arenas available to play in than I’ve deemed worth bothering to count. They come in different themes; some conceal spikes in the floor, while others let you travel upside down along a green cloud across the ceiling. Once you’ve beat the first level in each arena, you can then go on to the next one, in which you need more kills and will have multiple opponents coming at you at once. It’s a test of patience, timing and reactions.

This is just the Survival Mode, which can be played by yourself and with up to three friends. Use keyboard or controllers; it’s up to you. And if you do have people around, jump into the Versus Mode to strike down each other.

Samurai Gunn is a smoking gun, a blood-stained sword, the quick feet of a trained warrior out to kill. It’s a local multiplayer survival game that feels lush in its violence. I love it. I’m a slave to hitting replay. The single-player may sound limited, but it’s far from, especially if you’re a fan of fast swordplay and reading the moves of your opponents in order to outwit them.

Ee8Y8Ft.gif
gZh0Qps.gif

Ezra2680

I don't know know anything about programming, sorry can't help you.

Part of the terms

3. If You are selected as a participant in the Beta Program, Valve will make the Beta Products available to You as part of the Beta Program. The Beta Products will remain the property of Valve, and We may require You to return the Beta Products to Us upon request at Our expense (for example, without limitation, if such return is required to comply with regulatory restrictions, or if we feel it would be useful for us to examine the Beta Products to confirm or reproduce defect or errors that You identify). For this reason, the Beta Products are not for resale.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well, anyone got a Steam Hardware Beta invite?

Ezra2680

Have we had any information or hints as to whether or not community vote would be back for the winter sale? Was it determined it wasn't in the Autumn one just because of length?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Where are the women though?

:3

I can only assume that part of the "survival" aspect of the game is that you have to fight off a lot of nude men.

Sajjaja

true. only 5,000 more sales like that and i can just buy a steam box. well actually you probably won't be able to buy one with wallet funds..

Yet....................

You realize what this means?
Valve will become the most powerful conglomerate on the face of this planet by branching into retail, and then fashion, and then appliances and then military weapons production (they have the ideas you know, I've played Half Life.)

Copons

New Humble Store deals.
  • Samurai Gunn 12$
  • The Novelist 15$
  • Forced 10.5$
  • Fotonica 3$

The deals for Mirrormoon EP and Retro City Rampage are also still active.

Fotonica is an EXCELLENT game (MirrorMoon EP devs).
Basically is a first person runner a la Bit.Trip Runner, with Rez-like (wireframe) visuals and music.
Also, as it may be not clear if you don't read the full description on Humble Store, is coming on Steam soon-ish (recently greenlit) and devs confirmed that they're gonna give keys to external stores buyers.

And now, talking about US only Steam Machine.
I guess I need to build a rig all by myself. I haven't done that since 90s/early 2000s, so I'm sure stuff has changed meanwhile. Probably gonna break the CPU first thing.

Anyone knows if there's a PCPartPicker alternative for EU people?

Turfster

And now, talking about US only Steam Machine.
I guess I need to build a rig all by myself. I haven't done that since 90s/early 2000s, so I'm sure stuff has changed meanwhile. Probably gonna break the CPU first thing.

Anyone knows if there's a PCPartPicker alternative for EU people?

Eh, it's really hard to crack a CPU these days when installing it.
Not like 10 years ago. You'll be fine.

Copons

JakeD

I'm actually legitimately pissed off that this fucking guy got one.

Guess I have to start building. Anyone know of a case that looks like the one Valve is shipping out?

its been a damn month since he even played a game! i mean, us steam collectors aren't widely known for actually playing games, but still a whole month?

If Valve was smart they should have smuggled one of the Steam Machines to my house, then I could stress test it in the stupid Summer temperatures. xD

Backlogger

its been a damn month since he even played a game! i mean, us steam collectors aren't widely known for actually playing games, but still a whole month?

I guess this answers my question whether or not they were going to somehow work play time or number of games owned into their algorithm at all.

oipic

Hopefully someone here gets one. That would be second best to not personally getting one.

For sure, would love one of the gang here to be on the receiving end of one of these, it would effectively feel like Team SteamGAF was smiled upon as a whole. Would be great to have an 'insider' involved in the beta test.

Not-so-secretly, I've wished from the first announcement that jshackles be one of the lucky 300, as some sort of acknowledgement, official or otherwise, of his work with EnhancedSteam (although I'd still prefer they offer our good man a job instead!).

For those who were interested, I found 10 minutes of Dungeon of the Endless gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5w5tcJFKvs

Seems very methodical and strategic. From what I read on Joystiq and RPS, you go room to room, door by door, and must plan out your defenses carefully before opening that next door. You also have to protect the generator because if the lights go out, then it's all over

Confirmed, Steambox won't work in hot countries, or anything below the equator.

Also mandatory.

Having just lost a PS3 to the heat and having rolled out hardware in Australia before this is actually really true.

But really, what would they hope to learn from this beta test? We have mini pcs and I bet there will be a shitload of steam box designs. So might as well just start getting it out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom