• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope! The difficulty is pretty much perfect after World 2.

I would have to disagree. After struggling with world 2 for a long time I made it through world 3 on my first try. From there the later worlds didn't take much longer and even the final world has checkpoints every 2 seconds meaning it is very easy (relatively).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I would have to disagree. After struggling with world 2 for a long time I made it through world 3 on my first try. From there the later worlds didn't take much longer and even the final world has checkpoints every 2 seconds meaning it is very easy.

The devs thought they could get away with it getting easy since Derrick doesn't like indie games and wouldn't complain about it.

mannerbot

World 2 of Volgarr finished! So satisfying.

Does the difficulty ramp up or down going forward?

I'd say it gets more difficult, but not by much. The boss fights are never really that challenging, and they don't have a hard mode on the Valkyrie path. Keep at it and you can get ending A!

I would have to disagree. After struggling with world 2 for a long time I made it through world 3 on my first try. From there the later worlds didn't take much longer and even the final world has checkpoints every 2 seconds meaning it is very easy (relatively).

Huh? But world 6 isn't the final world. Someone here hasn't finished the game!

You should do it, there's a really cool moment in the Valk path for world 6, highlight of the game for me haha.

Nabs

First try? Damn.

image.php

Man, i need this game on steam.

Khronico

So, uh... I played the demo of Spelunky on ps3 and uh... I REALLY liked it. My question is, whats the better version to buy: Steam or PS3?

mannerbot

So, uh... I played the demo of Spelunky on ps3 and uh... I REALLY liked it. My question is, whats the better version to buy: Steam or PS3?

Steam. And you have good taste. Oh, but you should wait for the Winter sale, it'll most likely be $3.75 (assuming it's caught your interest because of the PSN sale).

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
we play gam
i take turn
u at cinema watchin thor 2 darker world
i like y u no turn ???
l8r u cum hom !!! ALERT ALERT U GOT MAIL
oh its ur turn
u take turn while im zzzzz in my sleepytime
i get up in mornan ALERT ALERT U GOT MAIL
oh its my turn
i take turn
checkm8 u lose m8

Now I know how it feels.

xJavonta

Banned
Derrick and his stance on indie games is fucking annoying and I hate hearing about it

How good is the trackpad on the DS4? Is it mostly for UI stuff?
It's really sensitive. The xinput wrapper will be supporting it in the next release with more features than the current trackpad driver like precision adjustments.

However, it is great. Haven't used it in game yet, but it works as a normal mouse cursor so you theoretically could use it to aim in an FPS. I'll give it a shot and report back

Miguel81

Found out there's an xinput wrapper for the DualShock 4 and it supports rumble, lightbar, and bluetooth. But the big news is that there's also a driver that allows you to use the touchpad as well, and it supports left clicking. This is going to be great once these drivers become more mature. Greatest controller.

I was loving the controller, but the shoulder buttons do not hold up(sticking). Now I'm back to Motioinjoy + BetterDS3. : (

The tricky thing with comparing them is that you get a lot better at the game by playing world 2, since it is designed to force you to learn how to play. The alternate path has some levels harder than normal 2 though. I'd say something like:

1. alt-2
2. alt-6
3. 2
4. 7
5. alt-5

Regular 6 would be up there if it didn't have so many checkpoints. One of the great things about the design is that, when you beat the normal path and have gotten good at the game, the next challenge is to try a perfect run through the alternate path, which you are now prepared to attempt. I might steal that idea if I ever make a game.

mannerbot

The tricky thing with comparing them is that you get a lot better at the game by playing world 2, since it is designed to force you to learn how to play. The alternate path has some levels harder than normal 2 though. I'd say something like:

1. alt-2
2. alt-6
3. 2
4. 7
5. alt-5

Regular 6 would be up there if it didn't have so many checkpoints. One of the great things about the design is that, when you beat the normal path and have gotten good at the game, the next challenge is to try a perfect run through the alternate path, which you are now prepared to attempt. I might steal that idea if I ever make a game.

Really? I think that Valkyrie Path world 6 is easy as hell as long as you play carefully, and that world 7 is essentially a freebie.

Valk Path Endgame Spoilers:
World 7 feeds you so many chests that you basically get free tries at the level unless you screw up horribly early on, which is only possible if you don't know the level at all. The idea of Valk World 6 is fantastic though, Crazy Viking Studio's plan was to make the Valk Path take about the same amount of time as a full run of the Crystal Path, and they allowed for a Valk Path exclusive level by making Valk World 6 so much shorter (especially the boss fight).

And yeah, having separate paths is a really cool idea, but getting ending C basically means that you completed the tutorial. It's an arcade game, and 1cc-ing it means getting ending A.

He better cave for Routine.

Routine will only have real depth if you stop and mash 'x' 100 times every 2 minutes. If the developers get that right we might be onto something.

Transformers is still $60 on Steam?! Damn Activision! I'm never going to own those transformer games.

Just remember the Transformers games are randomly $10 cheaper in Australia. So if it goes on sale again I can help.

Momentary

Banned
maybe try buying them when they are on sale then, it was 14.99 not that long ago

Well I want the base price to at least pop down to 40 bucks. That way when it's 75% off it's 10 bucks instead of 15.

Just remember the Transformers games are randomly $10 cheaper in Australia. So if it goes on sale again I can help.

Hmm. I might have to send you a message on Steam during the Winter Seal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No region lock? I may go in on my first game outside the US.

There's a region-locked sub for RU retail keys, but that's it. Oddly enough there's only one sub for the Steam store... but it's 1500 rubles on Steam RU, which is just as effective as a region lock because that works out to roughly USD$46.

Edit: A small update on the 38 Studios auction:

I'd guess Monday at the earliest.

Anteater

It's really sensitive. The xinput wrapper will be supporting it in the next release with more features than the current trackpad driver like precision adjustments.

However, it is great. Haven't used it in game yet, but it works as a normal mouse cursor so you theoretically could use it to aim in an FPS. I'll give it a shot and report back

Cool! Thanks for the impression, quite interested in using the trackpad since it would mean I won't have to ever reach for my mouse again, I remember some games kind of have poor controller support when navigating menus so it would be nice.

Really? I think that Valkyrie Path world 6 is easy as hell as long as you play carefully, and that world 7 is essentially a freebie.

Well, that's what I mean by it being tricky to compare them. It is possible to play the levels in different orders, and your experience is a huge factor in how difficult it is. In reality, either 2 or alt-2 will be the hardest depending on how early you play alt-2. 1 will probably be the third hardest since you play it first. But I think alt-6 is actually more difficult than 1, 3, or 4 in level design, just that by the time you get there you are good enough that it is more of a "showing off what you learned" level.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What do you guys think of this bundle

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/indie-capsule-bundle/

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Blood of the Werewolf
Slender: The Arrival
And Yet It Moves
Doc Clock: Toasted Sandwich of Time
Plain Sight
Snuggle Truck

Its 3.50. I'm thinking its worth it for Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet alone. is it?

A bunch of those games are turds but if you want ITSP this is lower than any non-bundle price it's ever going to see (a 75% off sale on just ITSP is 3.75). I liked ITSP but it was a little forgettable.

Cheddahz

Banned
I've already put 15 hours into Final Fantasy VIII and I just realized that I haven't put this much time into a single player game in well....forever

mannerbot

Well, that's what I mean by it being tricky to compare them. It is possible to play the levels in different orders, and your experience is a huge factor in how difficult it is. In reality, either 2 or alt-2 will be the hardest depending on how early you play alt-2. 1 will probably be the third hardest since you play it first. But I think alt-6 is actually more difficult than 1, 3, or 4 in level design, just that by the time you get there you are good enough that it is more of a "showing off what you learned" level.

Hm, I agree that it is difficult to compare relative level difficulty for the reasons that you stated, but I mean that -- credit feeding aside -- I think that Valk Path world 6 is easier than Crystal Path world 6 (and intentionally so, as per the spoiler in my last post).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Electronic Super Joy is a like a low end Super Meat Boy with retro graphics, seizure inducing flashing, european trance music, and really really disgusting sexual moaning every time you die or hit a checkpoint. What the hell.

Hm, I agree that it is difficult to compare relative level difficulty for the reasons that you stated, but I mean that -- credit feeding aside -- I think that Valk Path world 6 is easier than Crystal Path world 6 (and intentionally so, as per the spoiler in my last post).

I agree with that too, if not for the checkpoints. Crystal Path world 6 would be more difficult otherwise, so if you are going for a perfect run, then it is harder.

mannerbot

Electronic Super Joy is a like a low end Super Meat Boy with retro graphics, seizure inducing flashing, european trance music, and really really disgusting sexual moaning every time you die or hit a checkpoint. What the hell.

The description and screenshots made me want the game when it released (and I eventually got it from a bundle), but I saw some gameplay and was not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom