• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Rayman Origins is really good. I can't believe it's taken me this long to play it.

Is Legends even better?

It depends on what you liked about Origins. I grew tired of the game after the halfway point, I wasn't a fan of collecting shit to progress. Legends doesn't force you to play the collectathon game as much, so I found it more enjoyable. I also though the level design was better.

DukeBobby

I'd say so, yes.

I can't say Legends is a better game. While it has a fair more amount of variety, the music stages are far better (woah Black Betty), and the challenges made it worth coming back to often enough, it lacks some of the detailed and well designed stages outside of said music stages.
Still a lot of fun and any platformer fan can find plenty to enjoy, but really outside of WiiU I would argue, it's more of Origins without being as fresh. As good at best, slightly below at worst.

Cool, thanks guys. I'll be sure to pick it up soon (in the Winter sale, hopefully).

Suck it JaseC.

HJxedSp.jpg

Aw yiss.

Big icons, though.

M1e4YOIl.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
The cool people are waiting for Starbound to be content complete before playing it instead of getting tired of it before the game is done.
I don't think I have much interest in being cool or not cool, but I figure I have plenty of time to play several sectors of Starbound, be done with it for a few months, and play again once things are updated/finalized.

Nope, but last time I looked it up it didn't really convince me... now I can't seem to find any article about it. I'll give it a go eventually, I suppose.

Well it's a game in the same way that Dear Esther is a game i.e. it's really just listening to a story with faux gameplay elements. Arguably one could put The Walking Dead in there too but let's not go there :p.

In respect of the 39 Steps I found it a gripping yarn that was stylishly told where the lack of any real gameplay mattered not a jot. I found it slow going at first but after the first few chapters the story kicked into gear and I was so gripped I played the last 75% or so of the game in one evening session.

If that sounds like fun to you then I heartily recommend it.

FloatOn

The cool people are waiting for Starbound to be content complete before playing it instead of getting tired of it before the game is done.

you might be waiting a very long time then.

my method of madness is to play a few hours after every major patch and/or update as to whet my appetite for this amazing game as it moves along it's development path.

even after it is out beta the plan is to keep adding content much like terraria did.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Changeable :). Everyone always says that it rains all the time in the UK but it really doesn't. I am in the driest part of the country where rainfall is concerned though so other UK GAFer's mileage might vary there. The weather is actually one of the best aspects of living in the UK for me. I spent 3 weeks in L.A. when I was younger and well before the end I wanted to scream because the weather was exactly the same every single day. Almost drove me mad with tedium. The nice thing about living in the UK is that one never really knows what one is going to get weather wise from day to day. I like that. Being a temperate climate it is never too extreme in any direction [although we almost got flooded recently :/] so one may go for a walk pretty much every day of the year. It suits me anyway.

One of the most successful advertising campaigns has got to be the one that convinced the world that LA has a constant climate throughout the year. Glad that you seem to enjoy the climate of your chosen area though.

Wasteland 2 looks interesting. I have not played the original but am intrigued at the prospect of playing it given that it's on Steam. Normally I would baulk at the visuals but after playing Organ Trail and warming to those I don't think it would be an impediment. What do you pc gaming vets think? Steer clear unless I have nostalgia goggles [which I don't] or give it a go?

The one of the most successful advertising campaigns has got to be the one that convinced the world that LA has a constant climate throughout the year. Glad that you seem to enjoy the climate of your chosen area though.

I didn't say that so I really don't understand what point you are trying to make.

All the keys should be unused (even though I have a small doubt about Hacker Evolution). Good luck :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 24 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Project Aftermath -- MB-3E0AA4589FB3B632 - Taken by FauX. 8 entrants total.
Anodyne -- MB-82BA7B17FA3D9B1B - Taken by Faabulous. 11 entrants total.
FEAR -- MB-365C6676846881F6 - Taken by Eanan. 7 entrants total.
Faerie Solitaire -- MB-813DA044C23F586C - Taken by theMrCravens. 3 entrants total.
The Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-8F837D2AC40029EB - Taken by tylergregg. 7 entrants total.
Hard Reset Extended Edition -- MB-1895F3C4F6AFED93 - Taken by user237. 7 entrants total.
The 39 Steps #2 -- MB-5D524B88E34CC752 - Taken by Accent. 3 entrants total.
Eets Munchies #2 -- MB-FFD33AF02E724A69 - Taken by user237. 1 entrants total.
Doc Clock: Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-A4A46B4380D6778D - Taken by trailmix16. 2 entrants total.
Greed Corp -- MB-5C72BE27CADB1D85 - Taken by Ingueferroque. 1 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality #2 -- MB-49CC2A4D3245A8BE
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-83839611814830A7 - Taken by fspm
Eets Munchies -- MB-EE9E8B5B754909F2 - Taken by Dambrosi. 2 entrants total.
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-71B453F9314F6BD2 - Taken by Kirosia. 16 entrants total.
Lucius -- MB-2E7F5380106FF3F4 - Taken by Diedac. 3 entrants total.
And Yet It Moves -- MB-899897ECCEA88776 - Taken by Shepard. 1 entrants total.
Star Wolves 3 -- MB-C90DAAFA53F2E98C - Taken by BorntoPlay. 4 entrants total.
Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY -- MB-34A360C4CC72AE27 - Taken by Darkroronoa. 2 entrants total.
Scribblenauts Unlimited -- MB-9BBA92F539087B96 - Taken by PandaPedinte. 14 entrants total.
The 39 Steps -- MB-3CD681BAC1803BB1 - Taken by Relax.MX. 2 entrants total.
Zeno Clash -- MB-87B874BA335F9394 - Taken by zerokoolpsx. 3 entrants total.
Pid -- MB-6F011B3C482F7715 - Taken by Htown. 4 entrants total.
FEAR2 -- MB-FB9F38DA81F6AFE1 - Taken by Divius. 4 entrants total.
Killing Floor -- MB-66E36065FE2703B6 - Taken by Anustart. 2 entrants total.

t1387055902z1.png

Tellaerin

It works like 20% of games with my PS2 controller then all the other games it has weird problems like in Batman Arkham Asylum the sticks are inverted and buttons change to odd places like A to RT X to Start and other stuff no matter what settings I use.

I want to say that I didn't have any problems with Batman: AA and x360ce myself, but honestly I don't remember now if I had to do anything special to get it to work properly. (I don't think I did, but it's been awhile since I installed it. I can tell you that with Arkham City, all I needed to do was to drop the x360ce files in the right directory and boom, done. Everything worked without a hitch.)

I can send you the x360ce.ini I'm using for AA if you want - let me know.

I'm really digging Hard Reset. It's easy to pick up and play for a bit. The fast paced arcade shooting feels wonderful and the more difficult encounters are just difficult enough to let me clear them while barely surviving, which feels great. The visual style really speaks to me and when the player is let into the open (too much is inside and the level design isn't exactly spectacular) it often reminds me of Blade Runner.

edit: I've played for a few hours and have no idea how far into the game I am, but do I ever get new weapons?

Always nice to see Hard Reset getting some love. Since I'm a big fan of both cyberpunk and oldschool-style shooters, it hit all the right notes for me.

You never get new weapons per se, but the weapons mods you purchase at the upgrade terminals effectively transform those starter guns into an arsenal. You can mod them to behave like grenade launchers, railguns, homing rocket launchers, etc.

It would have been better to have chosen more of an everyday normal substantial Linda Hamilton-esque actress than some trendy pretty face who has had just one role of any note. Even Lena Headey from Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles has had a notable array of far more substantial tough on screen personas.

As far as I'm concerned, Lena Headey was the best Sarah Connor, and Terminator: TSSC was the best thing to come out of the franchise (well, that and the S.M. Stirling T2 novels).

Asskicker

Where are you guys buying keys these days? I've had some bad luck with buying region locked keys and I'm looking to other places to buy.

The_Monk

Wasteland 2 looks interesting. I have not played the original but am intrigued at the prospect of playing it given that it's on Steam. Normally I would baulk at the visuals but after playing Organ Trail and warming to those I don't think it would be an impediment. What do you pc gaming vets think? Steer clear unless I have nostalgia goggles [which I don't] or give it a go?

I'm not sure how much you are fond of the price right now. It seems the Early access can let you play about 10 hours of the game, which is pretty decent. You can expect bugs and similar issues. If you are okay with that, then go ahead, otherwise just wait for the smaller price and the official release then play all of that for the first time.

The goodies may not be that good, at least for me. Wasteland (original) is a very different game when it comes to gameplay and I can see many people not being able to play it again, or for the first time considering its age. Again, if you care for the first game, the rest of the goodies, if you want to play an Early Access game and the price is not an issue for you then go ahead. Otherwise, wait with me, because I plan to get it once it gets a more decent price for my wallet!

I'm not sure how much you are fond of the price right now. It seems the Early access can let you play about 10 hours of the game, which is pretty decent. You can expect bugs and similar issues. If you are okay with that, then go ahead, otherwise just wait for the smaller price and the official release then play all of that for the first time.

The goodies may not be that good, at least for me. Wasteland (original) is a very different game when it comes to gameplay and I can see many people not being able to play it again, or for the first time considering its age. Again, if you care for the first game, the rest of the goodies, if you want to play an Early Access game and the price is not an issue for you then go ahead. Otherwise, wait with me, because I plan to get it once it gets a more decent price for my wallet!

I haven't played either Monk. I like the look of W2 but like you I am going to wait until it's finnish and cheaper but that has me intrigued about the first game now. I might pick up the first game if it's uber cheap in a sale unless the consensus seems to be to steer clear of such an old game without the benefit of nostalgia goggles.

Freezard

So I started playing Arkham Asylum, and I'm wondering if I should write up which Riddler items I'm picking up, or will you get some sort of tracker later on? Got two so far.

Tizoc

It depends on what you liked about Origins. I grew tired of the game after the halfway point, I wasn't a fan of collecting shit to progress. Legends doesn't force you to play the collectathon game as much, so I found it more enjoyable. I also though the level design was better.

? Rayman Origins wasn't really about collectathons, and even then the 'collectables', being the Electoon Cages, are easy to find/spot.

So I started playing Arkham Asylum, and I'm wondering if I should write up which Riddler items I'm picking up, or will you get some sort of tracker later on? Got two so far.
You can find maps for every section that show the location of every Riddler challenge sans Joker teeth, so just be mindful of those. They're not very difficult to backtrack and find anyway, they're out in the open for the most part except for three or so in one area that you can look up later.

I'm really surprised Xenonauts hasn't been on sale - like at all. No 10% early backer discount or anything (unless I missed it. I suppose it's to honour the backers who bought in before it was put on Steam.

The_Monk

I haven't played either Monk. I like the look of W2 but like you I am going to wait until it's finnish and cheaper but that has me intrigued about the first game now. I might pick up the first game if it's uber cheap in a sale unless the consensus seems to be to steer clear of such an old game without the benefit of nostalgia goggles.

I think that it's better to buy the first one -in case you end up interested- later on during a sale and Wasteland 2 on the release day. The first game may not really be easy to pick up. From what I've seen there's also that bright retro colors that my brain does not fancy much. Check out some gameplay videos or streams to see if you like the game, they usually tend to help.

That oblivion one is in the custom images thread and its really good.

I'll get it to you once I'm at my computer.

Thank you Grief, need to check it out.

Derrick01

Banned
you might be waiting a very long time then.

my method of madness is to play a few hours after every major patch and/or update as to whet my appetite for this amazing game as it moves along it's development path.

even after it is out beta the plan is to keep adding content much like terraria did.

I can wait forever for an indie game, even one I want to play :p

In all seriousness I have such a gross amount of games to get to already that by the time I finish Starbound will probably be legitimately finished. This is including new, upcoming games too. Feb. and March are going to be a bloodbath.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

The maps have already been mentioned, I just wanted to add that there is a in-game list of all trophies and riddles in each area (open the map screen and select the appropriate tab) that the game will track and update for you.

Wasteland hasn't aged very well sadly. If you're okay with NES type RPG's you might find the interface and gameplay tolerable though.

I'm really surprised Xenonauts hasn't been on sale - like at all. No 10% early backer discount or anything (unless I missed it. I suppose it's to honour the backers who bought in before it was put on Steam.
They're probably holding back for the Christmas sale and/or are planning to get as much money from the people willing to buy it instead of/along with XCOM:EU/EW.

Anteater

just beaten max payne 3, it was alright, didn't like it all that much, I thought the air port level was the only decent map.

I get 30gig free space back though!

Acccent

Well it's a game in the same way that Dear Esther is a game i.e. it's really just listening to a story with faux gameplay elements. Arguably one could put The Walking Dead in there too but let's not go there :p.

In respect of the 39 Steps I found it a gripping yarn that was stylishly told where the lack of any real gameplay mattered not a jot. I found it slow going at first but after the first few chapters the story kicked into gear and I was so gripped I played the last 75% or so of the game in one evening session.

If that sounds like fun to you then I heartily recommend it.

The thing I loved about Dear Esther is that, complain about it not having enough gameplay all you want (general 'you', not you woo :p), it really couldn't exist in any other form. The storytelling is visual as much as it is based on the text and voice; the landscapes contribute to the story if you look hard enough to see that you are navigating the Island's body, not just its paths. The pace and the views being controlled by the player really change the experience.

Regarding The 39 Steps, yes, that does sound like fun! Maybe I'll win it in Dimitri2401's giveaway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom