• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dambrosi

Banned
No worries, happy to help! Have a spare copy as well, in case anyone else is after the game.
I'd love one, but it wouldn't be free, would it? No money, mo' problems.

Also, the SteamOS thread sounds like a disaster. I hope the OS itself isn't quite as bad?

oipic

Anyone else having an issue with Steam no longer automatically updating games?

Are you in the beta? I've found the current (and perhaps prior) version seems to enqueue updates, but I'm needing to manually give them a nudge in order for them to start.

Also, the SteamOS thread sounds like a disaster. I hope the OS itself isn't quite as bad?

In its current state it's not recommended for beginners and average users, that's all. But that thread had to turn into another shitshow like previous Steam Universe threads...

fantomena

Reasoning?

Bic compatibility problems with tons of programs and services, Metro UI feels shit with a touchpad and a mouse (feels like metro is build for touch screens), too simplistic and Apple-feelike, It's more streamlined, I hate the built in apps, I don't need any of the shovelware apps.

It also feels like I have less control over the OS. it's build for people without much computer knowledge. Nothing bad about that, but that means that the advance controls I have/had with Win7 is mostly gone in Win8.

Anyone playing Teslagrad, I need some help

I know what I have to do here, but can't seem to make it happen. I obviously have to wait for the roboto crawl on the platform and then raise it up to the ledge, but when the robot is on it, it's too heavy and won't go high enough.

Bic compatibility problems with tons of programs and services, Metro UI feels shit with a touchpad and a mouse (feels like metro is build for touch screens), too simplistic and Apple-feelike, It's more streamlined, I hate the built in apps, I don't need any of the shovelware apps.

It also feels like I have less control over the OS. it's build for people without much computer knowledge. Nothing bad about that, but that means that the advance controls I have/had with Win7 is mostly gone in Win8.

Come on. We both know this is entirely false; it's Windows 7 with a different start menu.

It's far from being a disaster. It's just that some people were overhyped for nothing.

SteamOS is basically just a Linux OS with a few customizations. Still, it's a good idea, since it's free, easy to use (once setup), it's supported by many game devs and by hardware manufacturers.

mrgone

Anyone else having an issue with Steam no longer automatically updating games?

Here it's been automatically queuing the updates, but doesn't start them unless I unpause/start the download manually.

Steam also used to randomly set all your games to "do not update automatically" for unfathomable trolling reasons, so make sure that's not still a thing

legacyzero

Banned
7lDtY8H.png

Bht5RgV.png

Thanks to Colin for getting me a Prey key!

How in the HELL did you get a Prey key??

I want Prey on Steam :(((((((

Colin.

I'd love one, but it wouldn't be free, would it? No money, mo'

It would not be free, but it has already found a new home. Kind of surprised at the demand still, but I guess that's what happens when a game is removed from Steam. Think I will make a post in the Steam DD thread, and may order more if enough people want it.

legacyzero

Banned
It would not be free, but it has already found a new home. Kind of surprised at the demand still, but I guess that's what happens when a game is removed from Steam. Think I will make a post in the Steam DD thread, and may order more if enough people want it.

What's one of those run??

Acccent

I wasn't going to comment about this because we've been through it several times and I agree with Grief who posts faster than me anyway but come on, this is the kind of complete ignorance he mentioned. There are almost no compatibility problems that weren't in 7, and the Metro UI isn't as bad as people make it out to be once you just accept to see it for what it is (hint: its real name is the Start Screen). And you say it's too simplistic and too streamlined? How are those problems? If you feel like an OS needs to be complicated to be good, just grab an obscure hardcore Linux distro.
edit: you are of course welcome to dislike Win8, to each their own, but it's sad that this OS still gets shat on for wrong reasons

I actually lament the fact that the Start menu is apparently going to be back in future versions; hopefully it'll be optional.

ANYWAY I won The 39 Steps! Thanks Dimitri2401! Woo I'll let you know as soon as I've had the chance to try it (might not be in the immediate future though) :D

Dr Dogg

I'd love one, but it wouldn't be free, would it? No money, mo' problems.

I guess some people just don't understand a beta isn't just a free demo churned out as a marketing ploy.

I really don't know what people were expecting but its clear this is a very, very long game for Valve.

C4rter

I'm really digging Hard Reset. [...]
edit: I've played for a few hours and have no idea how far into the game I am, but do I ever get new weapons?

You only can buy upgrades for your two base weapons. In theory you get new weapons with this, like a rocket launcher, grenade launcher etc.. But you don't physically find new weapons like you do in most other shooters.

I guess some people just don't understand a beta isn't just a free demo churned out as a marketing ploy.

I really don't know what people were expecting but its clear this is a very, very long game for Valve.

Right now it's not even that, but the usual "what's the point?" "why" "it won't overtake windows" and Windows vs OSX vs Linux or I don't even know anymore

Divius

You're very welcome :)
The game is certainly not as great as the first one, but it is quite fun.
Oh that is too bad, well I'll try to have some fun with it anyway. As long as the shotty is still there.

You only can buy upgrades for your two base weapons. In theory you get new weapons with this, like a rocket launcher, grenade launcher etc.. But you don't physically find new weapons like you do in most other shooters.
Thanks for the info. I've only been using the NRG weapon, it looks cooler and 'feels' better :p

Arthea

Special Giveaway

I accidently bought a Black Flag Region is restricted to work only in the following countries

This giveaway will be as follows:

First person to PM me that they are from an eligible country wins, if this post is up, the offer still stands
AC4
PM-ed
I hope I'm first ;)

Grief.exe

Come on. We both know this is entirely false; it's Windows 7 with a different start menu.

All of his other complaints, were subjective/fixable, but I agree that one was completely false.

I'm not so sure Fanto has been using Win8 for 8 months. Based on these complaints and arguments, I would guess 8 minutes.

fantomena

Don't think I will be needing an Xbone before in a long time. Im already having good times with my PC, Wii U, PS4, 3DS and Vita. Only exclusives I REALLY want is D4. Forza looks cool, but not a game I will buy the device for, same goes with DR3 and Ryse. Thankfully Titanfall is onPC and Below is timed exclusive (same goes with Peggle 2).

so say I add farcryblooddragon.exe or whatever as a non-steam game and that's it?

Yes, use the '+ ADD A GAME...' menu in the bottom left of the Steam Client to 'Add a Non-Steam Game...", select the one you mention and it will add a shortcut to the game so you can launch it from within the Steam Client and don't have to launch the uPlay Client.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom