• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Every time someone mentions Nights I think about Jeff Gerstmann going nuts.

Of course, he has like the exact opposite taste in games that I do, so I'd probably love it.

EDIT: Time to not be an asshole!

Many thanks to Dimitri2401 for Pid!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Played. The question was played.

Meow. But I know where you're going with this so fair enough.

Edit: Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Care to play it? I want impressions.

Black Flag is beginning to wear thin on me and SteamWorld Dig isn't enrapturing me as much as it has others. I haven't played a PnC game since Machinarium, though, so I'm not sure how valuable my opinion would be.

Edit: Err, "thin", not "thing", haha.

Miguel81

Every time someone mentions Nights I think about Jeff Gerstmann going nuts.

Of course, he has like the exact opposite taste in games that I do, so I'd probably love it.

EDIT: Time to not be an asshole!

Many thanks to Dimitri2401 for Pid!

It's a colorful game with great music and simple, but fun, gameplay. I first played it on the Saturn a few years ago and it was great. Have it on Steam, but I want to finish playing Dark Souls before I start that one up again.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Black Flag is beginning to wear thing on me and SteamWorld Dig isn't enrapturing me as much as it has others. I haven't played a PnC game since Machinarium, though, so I'm not sure how valuable my opinion would be.

Your opinion is always welcome.

Miguel81

Meow. But I know where you're going with this so fair enough.

Black Flag is beginning to wear thin on me and SteamWorld Dig isn't enrapturing me as much as it has others. I haven't played a PnC game since Machinarium, though, so I'm not sure how valuable my opinion would be.

Edit: Err, "thin", not "thing", haha.

What did you think of it? It was the most charming pnc game I've ever played, and I grew up on the genre(and Simcity).

JaseC

Your opinion is always welcome.

"0/10; isn't Assassin's Creed."

wax suarez looks creepy

Haha.

What did you think of it? It was the most charming pnc game I've ever played, and I grew up on the genre(and Simcity).

Loved the game and it ranks among the likes of Curse of Monkey Island as one of the finest adventure games I've ever played, despite its short length and occasionally obnoxiously obscure puzzles (the five-in-a-row puzzle pre-patch, oh god). I'd love to go into more detail, but it's been years since I've played it, although as I expounded the other day, the hint system is brilliant, and the visual style divine:

tAnHvc7.jpg

Marry me, Amanita.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Loved the game and it ranks among the likes of Curse of Monkey Island as one of the finest adventure games I've ever played, despite its short length and occasionally obnoxiously obscure puzzles (the five-in-a-row puzzle pre-patch, oh god). I'd love to go into more detail, but it's been years since I've played it, although as I expounded the other day, the hint system is brilliant, and the visual style divine:

http://i.imgur.com/tAnHvc7.jpg[IMG]

Marry me, Amanita.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1589547/machinarium-robot-dance-o.gif

Oh jesus DS4 drivers came out with touchpad mouse support
Think I might have to blow my winter sale money on a DS4 now

Link
It's the last download at the end of the first post.

Keep an eye on the Beta 2 driver and get it as backup if you plan on using BT.

I've had some issues with Beat 3 just randomly becoming unresponsive and dropping inputs. Playing Rogue Legacy and all the sudden I'd lose control and my character would just be hauling ass to the right or left and not accepting input. A couple seconds would go by and I'd regain control. Battery seemed fine, DS4 Tool reported battery was high and I had a good connection to the bluetooth adapter.

This never happened with the Beta 2 drivers. I have them on my system in case this keeps happening in play sessions.

Momentary

Banned
Just started playing The Witcher for the first time in preparation for the third game. Damn this game did not age well and it's so janky. I giggle when I see Geralt sheath his sword by grabbing it by the blade and throwing it behind his back.

Milamber

After playing ETS2, I don't think I can step down on the simulation of OMSI2. Plus there's no leveling up and business management simulation. Lame.

FloatOn

man I wish I liked point and click adventures I really do.

I guess I kind of ruined that by reading too many choose your own adventure books as a kid.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
ooooofff, my uncle and his son were over earlier.
His son is an avid little gamer so I set him up at my pc to play some Burnout Paradise, while the rest of the family socialized. Anyway, so his Dad comes over and looks at my glorious custom built rig running Burnout supersampled at 120fps on a lightboosted monitor and says "oh yeah, not quite as sharp as the ps3 version but its alright."

:lol

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Today I decided to share my library with a friend, with Family Sharing. It's good to know someone is going to enjoy all those games, even if that's not me.

JaseC

Just started playing The Witcher for the first time in preparation for the third game. Damn this game did not age well and it's so janky. I giggle when I see Geralt sheath his sword by grabbing it by the blade and throwing it behind his back.

The gameplay is inelegant but I can't but bathe in the perpetually rain-slick dreary and gloomy atmosphere. I actually prefer the original game to the sequel for this reason -- I feel it has the better world, as hamstrung as CDPR was with the tech it used.

Today I decided to share my library with a friend, with Family Sharing. It's good to know someone is going to enjoy all those games, even if that's not me.

I'm slowly getting one of my console-gamer mates on the Steam train. He's considering building a gaming PC and I told him that if he does I'd share my account.

JaseC

I watched a video of this the other day, and I thought it looked decent. I'm hankering for a new vehicle simulator.

Has anyone played it? JaseC probably owns it, but he doesn't play games.

Haha, not with its current price tag. It's on my list, though.

Deques

Morning everyone. Time for me to get active again in this thread

For those who didn't buy the Skyrim collection, which I posted about yesterday, and don't have any Elder Scrolls game at all in their library:
Here is another chance to screw your wallet

The Elder Scrolls History Collection for £19.99 ~ $33
This collection includes:
  • Morrowind GOTY
  • Oblivion GOTY
  • Skyrim + all DLCs

Haha, not with its current price tag. It's on my list, though.
Is there any list of all licensed games in Steam? I'd like to see if I have any licensed games :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm slowly getting one of my console-gamer mates on the Steam train. He's considering building a gaming PC and I told him that if he does I'd share my account.
That's great of you! Here's hoping he follows your advice.

My friend pirates pretty much everything, and I told him he could have my legal games instead (as long as I'm not playing at the time, of course).

And I saw today that Bit.Trip Beat was updated to have some christmas music in the main menu. That's a nice touch!

JaseC

It's time for you to create one :)

I did consider as much when I acted on the idea of putting together a list for myself, but ultimately cast it aside as it would've required me to sift through the descriptions of literally every game on Steam (and those mentioned in the "Games removed from Steam" SPUF thread) rather than just those belonging to games I didn't already own. The list I've cultivated would be a good start for a wiki, though.

delirium

None that I know of, unfortunately. I usually just check for an update when something gets broken by a Steam update.
Damn, I was wondering why my download bar was messed up by the skin only to realize I was running a really old version of the skin.

EDIT: As I said this, there's apparently a new version released already.

Out of interest, has anyone here ever won a giveaway on Steamgifts.com? I realise the number of people entering each giveaway makes the chance of winning extremely low, but I wanted to check it's not actually a scam or something!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Out of interest, has anyone here ever won a giveaway on Steamgifts.com? I realise the number of people entering each giveaway makes the chance of winning extremely low, but I wanted to check it's not actually a scam or something!

Yeah, a few, but it's been over a year since I won anything I think. I did win Silent Hill: Homecoming there. These days I only remember to check once a month or so.

Edit: I just checked there and noticed I won the Adventure Time DLC. How weird is that? Guy hasn't actually sent it to me, though.

Tellaerin

Controversial opinion of the day:

Duke Nukem Forever is... not bad.

I finished the main campaign and the DLC and messed with the multiplayer a little (there are still a handful of people playing online!), and actually had a pretty decent time. The off-color humor in the main game really feels forced (they seemed to be trying way too hard - the DLC was a little better about that, IMO) and there was a slightly disjointed quality to the main campaign that's hard to put into words. There were spots where it felt almost like they had a bunch of completed assets lying around, and had to come up with ways to cobble them into a story. (One interlude at around the midpoint of the game in particular struck me that way.) But the gunplay was fun (especially after enabling the extended inventory option so that I could carry 4 weapons instead of 2), and the conceit of Duke's ego as a regenerating health meter really worked well. (I particularly liked how you could increase his ego through environmental interactions that pumped up his self image - admiring his reflection in a mirror, shooting a perfect game of pool, etc.) The game's never going to win any awards for innovation, but as run and go FPS's go, you could definitely do worse for yourself (assuming you can chuckle at, or at least look past, some pretty puerile humor).

JaseC

Yeah, a few, but it's been over a year since I won anything I think. I did win Silent Hill: Homecoming there. These days I only remember to check once a month or so.

That's fantastic considering Konami's hesitance towards deep discounting.

vOETQcM.png

I even played the SP DLC and was slightly disappointed when it became clear that there'd be no more.

Lain

I won 2, one of which had 25k copies and 29k people entered, so one had to be really unlucky to not win that.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Aye, I've won a few. However two of them the people who made the giveaway never sent the games.

I gave away Supreme Commander 2 and made a very nice friend. NeoGAF has a group on it you can trust as well.

Deques

I just won one. 13 hours ago. A dlc for Batman AC >.<

Looks like I won Oozi. But the download link has expired. Gotta see if I can get a steam key for it

Edit: Yay, I got a steam key from Steamgifts

For those who have won from Steamgifts, follow this guide to retrieve your steam key:

For some reason it registered as beta testing for me. I am not sure if this is full game I got. I have asked about it in the game's steam forum.

Backlogger

I just set it up with my brother last night. We have mostly the same games though, but hopefully he will get some use out of it.

JaseC's blurb for Kentucky Route Zero is spot on, games like this make me wish I were better with words so I could describe the way I felt. I played act two tonight and finished it just as the sun was rising which felt nicely contrasted with the scene in the moonlit woods. I can't wait to discuss the third act with people when it drops [soon].

Didn't spend much time on the zero, I probably will have to replay it.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
...It's safe to admit we liked Duke Nukem Forever here?

I think going into it with expectations of "Worst game of all time" helped with my enjoyment. Note the deliberate use of the words "liked" and "enjoyment" rather than "good game" or "underrated".

More than one review mentions how playing it is like an archeological dig through the history of the FPS over the last decade; the Prey strata, the Half Life 2 shale, the rich Halo vein. Makes for a disjointed whole, but it's rather amusing to see a level's naked inspiration and really drives home just how long and silly DNFs development had to have been.

JaseC

Proper controller support should be coming to Teslagrad soon:

fludvigsen (developer) said:

The game looks fantastic but I'll wait for the patch.

JaseC's blurb for Kentucky Route Zero is spot on, games like this make me wish I were better with words so I could describe the way I felt. I played act two tonight and finished it just as the sun was rising which felt nicely contrasted with the scene in the moonlit woods. I can't wait to discuss the third act with people when it drops [soon].

Didn't spend much time on the zero, I probably will have to replay it.

Hard to believe it's been 10 months since the first episode hit -- time flies! I was hoping the game would be complete by now, but alas. I may resume my playthrough when Act 3 hits, but on the other hand I've waited this long so I could probably survive on other games until all five are out.

gabbo

I finished the main campaign and the DLC and messed with the multiplayer a little (there are still a handful of people playing online!), and actually had a pretty decent time. The off-color humor in the main game really feels forced (they seemed to be trying way too hard - the DLC was a little better about that, IMO) and there was a slightly disjointed quality to the main campaign that's hard to put into words. There were spots where it felt almost like they had a bunch of completed assets lying around, and had to come up with ways to cobble them into a story. (One interlude at around the midpoint of the game in particular struck me that way.) But the gunplay was fun (especially after enabling the extended inventory option so that I could carry 4 weapons instead of 2), and the conceit of Duke's ego as a regenerating health meter really worked well. (I particularly liked how you could increase his ego through environmental interactions that pumped up his self image - admiring his reflection in a mirror, shooting a perfect game of pool, etc.) The game's never going to win any awards for innovation, but as run and go FPS's go, you could definitely do worse for yourself (assuming you can chuckle at, or at least look past, some pretty puerile humor).

Internet hi-five. I've yet to play the DLC, but I really enjoyed the main campaign.

Hard to believe it's been 10 months since the first episode hit -- time flies! I was hoping the game would be complete by now, but alas. I may resume my playthrough when Act 3 hits, but on the other hand I've waited this long so I could probably survive on other games until all five are out.
Definitely. They said around a year initially. I'm sort of playing it when I'm in the mood and it has been working out quite well. I'm not sure how I feel about replaying them now I think about it. It might expose some weaknesses in the structure of conversations which aren't meant to be thought about too much. I only find myself hanging on a decision a couple of times each episodes.

I want to go camping now.

Teleglitch is a great game but man it gets distressing to play. Still haven't made it to the 5th level :/

I made it to the second level once. Game's a little wonky when using a pad, but it seems like it's got solid core gameplay.

...It's safe to admit we liked Duke Nukem Forever here?

I think going into it with expectations of "Worst game of all time" helped with my enjoyment. Note the deliberate use of the words "liked" and "enjoyment" rather than "good game" or "underrated".

It was fun if you didn't overthink it. I certainly didn't think it was a must-play, but I definitely enjoyed it more than most people seem to. Probably because it was different than a lot of the cookie cutter bullshit we get fed regularly in the FPS genre these days. It was refreshing in a way. I played it on x360 at the time -- but I plan on replaying it someday on PC with the fixes applied in some of the patches.

Jawmuncher

I agree it really wasn't that bad. Sure it wasn't the game everyone waited years and years for. But it was a fine basic shooter. Much like how I see A:CM. It's nothing that'll set the world on fire but the 6 hours or so of the campaign do what they need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom