• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

Yep, that's how L4D . Every single time. At least you didn't get team killed the second you entered the game. Worst, most hostile online community I have ever seen, truly abysmal. Absolutely not worth it if you aren't playing with friends only.
The only way to play L4D is with friends.

Played some Batman: AA and it seems even better than AC and I loved Arkham City to the point where I got 100% on it on PS3

AA is a much tighter, more streamlined game. AC had what felt like a larger world, but it also suffered due to this.

MRORANGE

So Square-Enix are doing a mystery Christmas box for £4.99 which has a value over £50

https://store.eu.square-enix.com/em...s-download/Square-Enix-Christmas-Surprise.php

The contents are Steam related and has four games:

The Square Enix Christmas Surprise is available until 20 December 2013 (12:00pm GMT) and will contain four PC Downloadable Games (Steam Keys) which are giftable after purchase.*

Recommended Specs
Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
Quad core CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955, Intel Core i5-750
4GB Memory
12GB
DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 5870, nVidia GTX 480

Guesses on what games might be in it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well, value is going to be MSRP value. So Tomb Raider would be 30 quid of that 50 quid value. The Tomb Raider classics pack would represent the entire value. I think probably a better value for this would be that you're getting 10-12 pounds worth of sale value for 5 pounds. You just need to hope they don't pad the value with skin and gun DLC.

The_Monk

There is a thread about that Orange.

I would expect Hitman, Just Cause 2 and perhaps Deus Ex but who knows. The only titles I would be interested are much older titles so I'll skip since I usually don't like to buy something that I have no idea what it is.

derExperte

Yep, that's how L4D . Every single time. At least you didn't get team killed the second you entered the game. Worst, most hostile online community I have ever seen, truly abysmal. Absolutely not worth it if you aren't playing with friends only.

Then I've been lucky, my experiences playing coop campaign were mostly positive. Versus on the other hand...

MRORANGE

There is a thread about that Orange.

I would expect Hitman, Just Cause 2 and perhaps Deus Ex but who knows. The only titles I would be interested are much older titles so I'll skip since I usually don't like to buy something that I have no idea what it is.

Picture links to thread ;) I just posted it here if anyone wanted to jump on it for some reason.

The_Monk

Picture links to thread ;) I just posted it here if anyone wanted to jump on it for some reason.

Ah my bad fellow GAFfer. I thought you just discovered it. Either way I hope there's some Sleeping Dogs in it, right? Everyone should have that game on PC in my opinion. ;)

Turfster

Couple of people did a few days ago when I posted it.
I guess we'll find out what's in it in 5 days!
I'm thinking Sleepydogs, Just Cause 2, DX:HR vanilla and... something.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does anyone own the Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition that's on sale? Can anyone answer the following questions:

1) Is the editor that is included modernized, or just the same old build.exe that came with the original DOS and GOG versions?

2) Does the game antialias its textures and sprites, and if so, does it at least have an option to turn that shit off?

3) Does it have Mouselook and allow me to tilt the camera up and down like a modern shooter, or is head movement restricted to left and right only?

I know it's only like $3, but I own so many versions already. But I'd really like a Steam version if it's usable by me. (I'm used to playing DOOM in a modern ZDoom engine with all those features that make it playable in the 2010s.)

Parsnip

I was going to dip into the SquareEnix surprise, but then realized that I kind of own all the games from them that I want already. Suppose I could gift them to someone, it's still pretty cheap after all.

Anteater

Just beat the witcher 2, I think act2 was the best and act3 was short, the combat got old quickly (I'm playing with combat rebalance mod), it feels like there aren't much skills progression and it plays identically throughout except your character gets more buffed from the passive skills, lack of enemy variety doesn't help either, there are some minor glitches but I don't know if that's because of the mod or just the game itself.

Overall it's alright, will probably play witcher 3

Grief.exe

Who ever it was handling the camera did a shit job. What's with their infatuation with the glowing Titan logo? It's like they've never seen a light before

That really frustrated me in the video.

"So here the boot up sequence and the OS"
[Titan Logo Intensifies]

Bethesda games are finally on sale at Amazon, but I don't see a Doom Complete pack anywhere there. That's a shame.

Also buying any of the games from Amazon's digital store gives you a $5 credit for their Editor's 2013 Choice games. Credits can be accumulated but not stacked.

Decker

Does anyone own the Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition that's on sale? Can anyone answer the following questions:

1) Is the editor that is included modernized, or just the same old build.exe that came with the original DOS and GOG versions?

2) Does the game antialias its textures and sprites, and if so, does it at least have an option to turn that shit off?

3) Does it have Mouselook and allow me to tilt the camera up and down like a modern shooter, or is head movement restricted to left and right only?

I know it's only like $3, but I own so many versions already. But I'd really like a Steam version if it's usable by me. (I'm used to playing DOOM in a modern ZDoom engine with all those features that make it playable in the 2010s.)

1) can't compare since I don't know which one is the "old build.exe"

when I launch I can read

BUILD engine by Ken Silverman (http://www.advsys.net/ken)
Additional improvements by Jonathon Fowler (http://www.jonof.id.au)
and other contributors. See BUILDLIC.TXT for terms.

32-bit word size. Built Nov 25 2013.

so I assume it's new

2) there is an option to turn texture smooth/retro but anyway you have the option to launch the original Duke Nuken 3D instead of the Megaton edition

3) you can tilt camera up and down

derExperte

Bethesda games are finally on sale at Amazon, but I don't see a Doom Complete pack anywhere there. That's a shame.

Also buying any of the games from Amazon's digital store gives you a $5 credit for their Editor's 2013 Choice games. Credits can be accumulated but not stacked.

Why finally? The prices have actually gone up again, Dragonborn was 4.99 for example.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Anti-aliasing is not present. You can also turn off any smoothing and Vsync if you so please, while altering the frames per second.

You can turn on the lock for Y-Axis and thus look up and down with the mouse.

Also, it's worth it as a bundle to get Shadow Warrior Classic as well if you don't already own that.

Who ever it was handling the camera did a shit job. What's with their infatuation with the glowing Titan logo? It's like they've never seen a light before

It was the man's very young daughter.

cicero

What's the story with Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition? How "enhanced" is it? I have the disks around here somewhere, but when I installed them a year or more ago the game was a mess. I know I found at least one mod to help out with the widescreen issue, but text was still difficult to read.

Does the Steam edition come playable without needing to fuss around with it? And is it a better enhancement than BG1? I recall reading that the first game's enhanced edition was buggy as hell.

The Enhanced versions is what you are looking for then. You install it and that's it. It's ready to go with widescreen and some other small modifications like being able to stack more ammo/scrolls/potions and new NPCs.

Some BG players will tell you that these versions are ripoffs because you can get all that and more from mods but I don't care. I like being able to just download it from steam and be ready to go in 5 minutes without having to hunt down mods. And it makes playing multiplayer with my brother easy.

As for bugs I've got 63 hours in BG1EE and 84 in BG2EE and there's small bugs here and there but they are pretty minimal. On the other end my brother got hit with a bug that reset the status of the game so all his quest were reset. It was pretty weird. But like I said, I've never had that bug in 80 hours of playing.
Even ignoring the issues of the Enhanced Editions not being able to use mods like BGUB and the BG NPC project, based on price alone the GOG versions are clearly the superior version to be buying today.

One of GOG's two daily Holiday Promo deals today is the Dungeons and Dragons Desire 80% off promo. 10 games together for: $21.10. This deal is for TODAY ONLY though. Ends in about 19 hours.

• Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga - $1.99
  • Baldur's Gate 2 Complete - $1.99
  • Icewind Dale Complete - $1.99
  • Icewind Dale 2 Complete - $1.99
  • Planescape: Torment - $1.99
  • Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition - $1.99
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Complete - $3.99
  • Temple of Elemental Evil, The - $1.19
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard - $1.99
  • Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone - $1.99

This vs the Steam Enhanced Editions.
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - $19.99
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition - $24.99

MRORANGE

Votes for today have been racked up, 119 so far.

I was going to dip into the SquareEnix surprise, but then realized that I kind of own all the games from them that I want already. Suppose I could gift them to someone, it's still pretty cheap after all.

That really frustrated me in the video.

"So here the boot up sequence and the OS"
[Titan Logo Intensifies]

You guys should feel bad :lol

DTKT

The Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, is amazing. It's was almost worth playing through the awful base game.

The_Monk

I was curious about that function that lets you get all your Wishlist games added to your cart with a single Click.

I just checked mine and it's a total of... 429,51€ This is officially the most dangerous button on Steam right now if you decide to Drink & Steam. Remember my good people, don't ever Drink & Steam too much!

denx

1) I took a quick look at the level editor and it seems to be the same Build editor of old. The editor was added very recently to the game along with Workshop support, so there are already dozens of custom maps ready to download and play. (It seems like it's a recently updated version of the old editor, but I don't know what's different)

2) The Megaton Edition is a little smoother in its graphics compared to the original, but not by much. The effect is really subtle and unless you are directly comparing a screenshot of the original with one from the Megaton Edition the difference is almost impossible to tell. I don't know if Megaton uses AA to achieve the smoother graphics, but there is a "smoothness" setting in the options, so you can turn that off if you want.

3) It does have mouselook.

Keep in mind that the Megaton edition also includes the three official third party campaigns (Nuclear Winter, Duke It Out in DC and Life's a Beach), along with the original, untouched DN3D on DosBox.

So yeah, at that price you should definitely get it. Also cloud saves, achievements and cards. What's not to like.

wazoo

I was curious about that function that lets you get all your Wishlist games added to your cart with a single Click.

I just checked mine and it's a total of... 429,51€ This is officially the most dangerous button on Steam right now if you decide to Drink & Steam. Remember my good people, don't ever Drink & Steam too much!

It means that at best, you will pay 25% of that amount over time.

Nzyme32

For those interested in the steam controller, I just asked Corey Nelson (one of the guys putting up vids of his steam machine) if he could try and have a bit more of an in depth look at the controller mechanics such as "flicking" to turn around and how far a turn goes with a continuous swipe from left to right on the right pad, and he says he will!

Quite interested in exactly how sensitive it is and how sensitivity effects the mechanics

derExperte

Don't know what it was exactly but I found the demo annoying. The game needed more precision and patience than I was prepared for. And something about the artstyle put me off.

But it'll be only around 195€ come next Thursday. Just think how much you'll save and press that buy button.

Arthea

Guesses on what games might be in it?

We already did that couple of days ago, but why not.
I think SD and JC2 are almost sure, may be Hitman too.
I would prefer Thief preoder of course (><)

Four Steam keys for Commandos: Strike Force (pulled back in 2010, IIRC).

Sure!

Couple of people did a few days ago when I posted it.
I guess we'll find out what's in it in 5 days!
I'm thinking Sleepydogs, Just Cause 2, DX:HR vanilla and... something.

Ya that's very likely, especially because I already have all those games (><)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Note that GOG's deal is for the bundle - the discount goes down to 50% if you want to buy just a few games.

If you already own part of the bundle you can complete it with the 80% discount:

gogdealhjdes.jpg

_DrMario_

Even ignoring the issues of the Enhanced Editions not being able to use mods like BGUB and the BG NPC project, based on price alone the GOG versions are clearly the superior version to be buying today.

One of GOG's two daily Holiday Promo deals today is the Dungeons and Dragons Desire 80% off promo. 10 games together for: $21.10. This deal is for TODAY ONLY though. Ends in about 19 hours.

• Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga - $1.99
  • Baldur's Gate 2 Complete - $1.99
  • Icewind Dale Complete - $1.99
  • Icewind Dale 2 Complete - $1.99
  • Planescape: Torment - $1.99
  • Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition - $1.99
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Complete - $3.99
  • Temple of Elemental Evil, The - $1.19
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard - $1.99
  • Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone - $1.99

This vs the Steam Enhanced Editions.
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - $19.99
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition - $24.99

He's already got BG2 on CD and he said he didn't want to have to mess around with mods to get it running in HD. Which is the exact reason one person would want to get the EE games. Not to mention I'm sure both the games will be 50% off or more during the holiday sale.

It all depends on what you want. I've probably got over 1000 hours put in the Saga and I've never felt the urge to use any of the community mods anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom