• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The save file got corrupted. Unless I can somehow access an older version of it, it's lost.

Steam should warn you when you launch the game that the file stored on the cloud differs from the one on your HDD, and should offer you the chance to download it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I've been wondering if the streaming services will be integrated into Friends, so for example:

JaseC
In-Movie
[Something from this list, duh]

But more likely is just Steam setting your status to Busy when it knows you're streaming a movie/TV show.

Yeah probably. That'd be too scary if they tell what you're watching/listening

Relax.MX

I'm a fan of Max Payne, especially the first one. Im 4 hrs in Max Payne 3, and is a good game actually is very good, but so far is not Max Payne. Sure, this is deranged, living in the past, is in a world of corruption, somehow his goal is to keep a woman. But Max have friends? there is no reason for revenge or obsession? Diabolical things is not there? . Its a character that their fears and frustrations that give more shame than a motivation. It is a shameful character, not a sick dark person, it's just a drunk guy.

Again is a very good game...but is not Max Payne.

Dec

Simply isn't worth it. I have power outage like once or twice a year. The probability of it happening just as I'm saving in a game is incredibly low.

I lose power like the same amount but still love my UPS. I have a lamp, my PC and the router hooked up to it. Have 20 minutes to finish what I'm doing, and properly shut down my PC. Then have light until the power comes back on.

Because the router is on it I still have internet access for my phone, which can be great.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm a fan of Max Payne, especially the first one. Im 4 hrs in Max Payne 3, and is a good game actually is very good, but so far is not Max Payne. Sure, this is deranged, living in the past, is in a world of corruption, somehow his goal is to keep a woman. But Max have friends? there is no reason for revenge or obsession? Diabolical things is not there? . Its a character that their fears and frustrations that give more shame than a motivation. It is a shameful character, not a sick dark person, it's just a drunk guy.

pretty much

I wouldn't mind if it wasn't so poorly written and so full of itself, but for me every cutscene is a pain (lol) to go through.

it's not max, it's just a bizarre godawful interpretation of max that turned him into another shitty rockstar character.

and forced terrible cutscenes just sour my gameplay

I just finished the game a few days ago and I thought it was fine when you actually played. The game takes you off the controls far too many times and Max is constantly rambling throughout the game. blah blah blah blah blah.. jeez...just let me shoot people in slo-mo por favor? There are some bullet sponge enemies later on too. I headshot some dude and he's still standing like nothing happened. lol

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Controversial opinion of the day:

Duke Nukem Forever is... not bad.

I finished the main campaign and the DLC and messed with the multiplayer a little (there are still a handful of people playing online!), and actually had a pretty decent time. The off-color humor in the main game really feels forced (they seemed to be trying way too hard - the DLC was a little better about that, IMO) and there was a slightly disjointed quality to the main campaign that's hard to put into words. There were spots where it felt almost like they had a bunch of completed assets lying around, and had to come up with ways to cobble them into a story. (One interlude at around the midpoint of the game in particular struck me that way.) But the gunplay was fun (especially after enabling the extended inventory option so that I could carry 4 weapons instead of 2), and the conceit of Duke's ego as a regenerating health meter really worked well. (I particularly liked how you could increase his ego through environmental interactions that pumped up his self image - admiring his reflection in a mirror, shooting a perfect game of pool, etc.) The game's never going to win any awards for innovation, but as run and go FPS's go, you could definitely do worse for yourself (assuming you can chuckle at, or at least look past, some pretty puerile humor).
I liked it too. I haven't tried the DLC or multiplayer yet, but the campaign was nice.

It wasn't worth 14 years of waiting, and the mixture of old-school and modern gameplay elements didn't always work well (only 2 simultaneous weapons at first? Linear levels with arena-like sections?), but it was fun.

Hail to the king, baby!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The save file got corrupted. Unless I can somehow access an older version of it, it's lost.

Try using the backup versions of the profile_0.xml, savegame_0.dat and session.xml files -- delete the existing such files and remove "backup" from the file names of the backups.

Edit: Oh, a location would be helpful, haha: My Documents\my games\SteamWorld Dig.

cicero

He's already got BG2 on CD and he said he didn't want to have to mess around with mods to get it running in HD. Which is the exact reason one person would want to get the EE games. Not to mention I'm sure both the games will be 50% off or more during the holiday sale.

It all depends on what you want. I've probably got over 1000 hours put in the Saga and I've never felt the urge to use any of the community mods anyway...
Well, from my experience, the community at large tends to suggest using mods to enhance the games. You have chosen not to use them over 1000 hours of play, and seem to know of no reasonable reason why people should want to use them. I am merely giving the cheaper and more accepted point of view that most others would probably give someone looking to get into the games. Even at 50% off, the value in the GOG package of games is clearly better. He also has the option of using up to date mods without having to wait for them to be supported, support which may not be there in the future. And then there is...DRM-FREE.

Go ahead and take that red pill, Dr. Mario.

rybrad

The hardest difficulty in Xcom Bureau reveals some seriously irritating friendly AI quirks.
Yea that was a big problem with the game, especially the later levels. You can actually see a fair amount of potential in the game but questionable decisions and lack of polish really hurt the experience.

rav

Why is magic 2012 more expensive than 2014?

Quite possibly they adapted the newer ones to the prices 2012 was selling at the most. I refused to purchase 2012 until it was around $10 or less. Since then I think I've picked up the rest for about $5-$10, and I usually grab the DLC when it's on sale too.

Looking at transaction history it's hard to tell how much I paid for the others, because I usually bought then in groups of other games. but:
Nov 27, 2011| $3.99| Purchase| Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012
I think that was my first foray into the game on PC/Console though. I used to play very casually many years ago. Thought it would be fun to not have to store cards and still be able to play with AI. (It worked for them, as I said, I've purchased most of the stuff since.)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Spent the last 3 hours completely re-writing the inventory market price function in Enhanced Steam. The good news is that it should now work with every item that's marketable.

Overall I'm enjoying it. On lower difficulties the AI quirks aren't a big deal because they don't get killed as easily and you aren't as reliant on them.

I liked the higher difficulty. It managed to do what no mass effect game ever did. Made me rely on the abilities that my party members had to get through combat situations. Even then it wasn't that hard but there were one or two checkpoints where the difficulty was a bit too steep.

Of course the thing I enjoyed the most was the ending twist, that was kinda fun. Everyone should give this game a shot for $5 or maybe $10. Real shame about 2k Marine.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd not say universally, and it did just get a pretty big update.

Of course not literally everybody thinks little of the game -- there are people who haven't played it and even some that have but are fond of it.

DasFool

So guys do you have any "Steam success" stories?

A recent one of mine would be spending $5 for TF2 tickets and eventually turning that into 8 free games worth around $40. Helped that the new mvm brought about insane pricing on some items.

MNC

A recent one of mine would be spending $5 for TF2 tickets and eventually turning that into 8 free games worth around $40. Helped that the new mvm brought about insane pricing on some items.

Sold a Portal 2 foil for like 13€ during Beta. Then I went to reap more reward money and built a small empire with 20€. I still have 10 left and I have yet to pay money on a Steam game ever since.

I managed to snag Dishonoured and it's DLC for just over £2 in that last sale thanks to that pricing error. I already had the base game, but to get both DLCs for effectively a quid each, I can't complain.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I got a free "Max's Severed Head" TF2 hat with the Sam & Max games and sold it for $100, that was a great little earner for me considering I never play the game anymore. Sold the gun for around £13 too. Need to sell off all my other weapons as I won't use them now.

Baha

I got a free "Max's Severed Head" TF2 hat with the Sam & Max games and sold it for $100, that was a great little earner for me considering I never play the game anymore. Sold the gun for around £13 too. Need to sell off all my other weapons as I won't use them now.

When did you get the hat? Afaik, the hat was only given to ppl who pre-ordered a specific season of Sam and Max a few years ago.

Enco

FUCK STEAM

No fucking idea why but it has started crashing on start up. Either that or it crashes when I start up a game.

Infuriating.

Didn't change anything in my computer.

Nabs

I am in love with PC gaming @ 3200x1362 (downsampled to 1920x817). Currently playing NFS Most Wanted, Saints Row IV, and The Bureau like this. I almost want to replay Batman AO now, but I'll save that for another time.

So I've been making slowly progress in the first Call of Juarez, almost dropped it as I was getting stuck all the time but I'm now at episode 4 beginning where you
control Billy again
. So depending on how the game continues and how long it is, I might finish it. It's kind of borderline whether I'm going to finish it, I kinda like it for many reasons but then again it's frustrating at times.

Dr Dogg

Damn is Enslaved purrdy. Amazing how a resolution bump and decent texture filtering can make it seam so much more vibrant. And that's before playing with any injectors.

Nabs

for that you need multiple screens right?

Nope. It just renders at that resolution and downsamples to fit my monitor. The 2.35:1 res is really cool with 3rd person titles since it usually improves the field of view.

Damn is Enslaved purrdy. Amazing how a resolution bump and decent texture filtering can make it seam so much more vibrant. And that's before playing with any injectors.

Yeah, I was expecting a bad port after all the complaining early on.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, it's aged pretty well I found, and brought back nice memories.
The thing to remember is that you basically mostly play it with the keyboard, using letters as shortcuts.

I agree in terms of nostalgia it has held up well. But in WaiH's case it would have been a untainted impression of the game.

Since you guys are talking L4D, I need some friends to play L4D2. If someone wants to play with me next weekend, feel free to add me.

Sure. Only thing is I don't have a microphone...I tend to gravitate toward single use teammates for multiplayer titles.

Enco

FUCK STEAM

No fucking idea why but it has started crashing on start up. Either that or it crashes when I start up a game.

Infuriating.

Didn't change anything in my computer.

Even more fucked up now. Wont even start. FML. This is the only reason I hate PC gaming.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
1) I took a quick look at the level editor and it seems to be the same Build editor of old. The editor was added very recently to the game along with Workshop support, so there are already dozens of custom maps ready to download and play. (It seems like it's a recently updated version of the old editor, but I don't know what's different)

2) The Megaton Edition is a little smoother in its graphics compared to the original, but not by much. The effect is really subtle and unless you are directly comparing a screenshot of the original with one from the Megaton Edition the difference is almost impossible to tell. I don't know if Megaton uses AA to achieve the smoother graphics, but there is a "smoothness" setting in the options, so you can turn that off if you want.

3) It does have mouselook.

Keep in mind that the Megaton edition also includes the three official third party campaigns (Nuclear Winter, Duke It Out in DC and Life's a Beach), along with the original, untouched DN3D on DosBox.

So yeah, at that price you should definitely get it. Also cloud saves, achievements and cards. What's not to like.
Sounds good to me. Now if only they'd do it for DOOM. They should make an updated east to use modernized editor for these old games. Would be amazing.

Actually, can you take a screenshot of the game for me? It's the N64 style antialiasing I hate in many modern ports of these old games. Makes it look ugly to me. I prefer crisp graphics and sharp edged pixels in my textures.

BigBoss

I am in love with PC gaming @ 3200x1362 (downsampled to 1920x817). Currently playing NFS Most Wanted, Saints Row IV, and The Bureau like this. I almost want to replay Batman AO now, but I'll save that for another time.

What's your graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom