• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
When did you get the hat? Afaik, the hat was only given to ppl who pre-ordered a specific season of Sam and Max a few years ago.
Yep, that's how I got it. Held onto it and sold it fairly recently when I realised people would pay $100 for a virtual hat, ha.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yup. After doing that, Steam stopped starting.

Trying to reinstall and what a pain. FATAL ERROR: YOU MUST BE ONLINE!! I'm online Steam... Trust me..

Did your reinstall include a backup of your userdata folder? I had an issue with Steam stalling during its start-up phase and fixed it by doing the following:

I did that and completely reinstalled to no avail, but I did overcome the issue by taking the 7, config, and ufg folders out of my userdata folder. Better make a note of that somewhere.

Don't worry if you don't have a ufg folder.

Eanan

Played an hour of Blood Dragon last night, no save file this morning.

Right Click->Delete Local Content...

Same thing happened me, and I havent gone back to it since. Either you have to save manually (in 2013? really?) or the first autosave is wayyyyyyy too far into the game. shame I was enjoying it also, but cant be arsed repeating the same hour and a half of gameplay again.

Enco

check your firewall rules, it sounds like a recent update has made your firewall change its ruleset.
Just tried changing some settings but nope. It hangs on updating.

I moved my desktop so I seriously hope the HDD didn't mess up.

I got another error too. Something about Steam being on a case insensitive drive. Wat?

Same thing happened me, and I havent gone back to it since. Either you have to save manually (in 2013? really?) or the first autosave is wayyyyyyy too far into the game. shame I was enjoying it also, but cant be arsed repeating the same hour and a half of gameplay again.

It's too bad because I downloaded the SweetFX mod a couple pages back which makes the game really trippy, like a Tron meets Rambo thing, but, I can't say it was fun enough to redo a bunch of levels. I have too much in my backlog to deal with that kind of treatment.

Backlogger

I'm probably being picky, but I hate stuff like that. I had to play through the beginning of Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon about 8 times. I have a wife and two young children so my gaming sessions are frequently interrupted. Once you get through that opener though the game is amazingly fun. The horrible part about it is there are several places they could have added auto saves in that intro.

IIRC (it's been a while since I've played), Blood Dragon has both autosaves and free saves, but the free saves are mostly for the open world stuff and dump you back at the closest outpost. Pretty sure that's intentional, due to the whole retro thing the game's going for.

denx

Sounds good to me. Now if only they'd do it for DOOM. They should make an updated east to use modernized editor for these old games. Would be amazing.

Actually, can you take a screenshot of the game for me? It's the N64 style antialiasing I hate in many modern ports of these old games. Makes it look ugly to me. I prefer crisp graphics and sharp edged pixels in my textures.

Sure thing. Take a look at my Steam screenshots. Also behold the glory of the FC3 Blood Dragon and Tribes Ascend screenshots ubergraphics.

Feel free anyone to add me in Steam.

Played an hour of Blood Dragon last night, no save file this morning.

Right Click->Delete Local Content...

Eh, to be fair the game is fairly short, so you could get back to where you were pretty quickly. Still losing a save sucks. Fortunately uPlay never ate a save of mine while playing Blood Dragon. The worst thing it did was not unlocking a couple of achievements that should had been unlocked, which still was pretty damn annoying.

Dr Dogg

Yeah, I was expecting a bad port after all the complaining early on.

It's certainly not a bad port, barebones yes but it's perfectly functional and performance is through the roof. I get the feeling though a lot if the complaints were stemming from having no front end for the usual UE settings. Though I sure we all have "fixed" an UE3 release via .ini faffing by now to know what everything does.

Still no accounting for cracking art direction. Even if it was botched it would still be a looker. Plus with ShadowPlay getting a update a week a go ( so it's at least useable on W7) been having a blast monkeying around (pun not intended) with 60fps captures at little to no performance hit. Shame there's next to no 60fps vid hosts.

Nabs

rip stage6. never forget.

So, I was really down on my Most Wanted pickup ($5 is my limit for Origin exclusives), but then I found this hud mod... which ended up being a camera mod.

I could really use a next gen, top-down GTA.

11392038596_17f19a2582_h.jpg

11392035095_8c0473b02d_h.jpg

(flickr downsample. could be shit)

and Marlamin has a new blog post on SteamOS. I can't wait to try out Streaming.

okay, Samurai Gunn is definitely the shit, top 10 GOTY material, easily. Can I just get this instead of Smash Bros. 3DS?

Two cool things I noticed:

1. If someone gets killed in the water, it stays red for a few seconds.

2. Getting into the water makes your gun unusable. I noticed this a bit too late when I tried to kill my enemy with a squirt of water and was consequently chopped in half.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was going to add two gaffers today and I noticed that I find private Steam profiles to be intimidating.

Grief.exe

FUCK STEAM

No fucking idea why but it has started crashing on start up. Either that or it crashes when I start up a game.

Infuriating.

Didn't change anything in my computer.

Even more fucked up now. Wont even start. FML. This is the only reason I hate PC gaming.

Yup. After doing that, Steam stopped starting.

Trying to reinstall and what a pain. FATAL ERROR: YOU MUST BE ONLINE!! I'm online Steam... Trust me..

I'm sometimes wonder whether this is the application's fault or failure to properly maintain the PC by the end user.

Seeing how my dad and gf use their computers and the similar errors they experience, I would be inclined to believe the latter.

Fuu

For some people, it's a choice between that and getting pestered by random strangers for games for them and their bro.
Ah right, I tend to forget that happens a lot. Reminds me of some of the hilarious random chats that are posted here sometimes.

JC2MP is insanely fun. Holy shit. They've created quite the gem.
I need to check that eventually. The Steam version of the mod ironically popped-up in the same week I completed the achievements in the game.

Deadbeat

Banned
For some people, it's a choice between that and getting pestered by random strangers for games for them and their bro.
If you are from brazil or the combloc, I will not friend you. Instant decline. Same with any steam groups.

Steam market made my life a lot easier as regular trading resulted in these people coming to hassle and rip you off.

Fuu

If you are from brazil or the combloc, I will not friend you. Instant decline. Same with any steam groups.

Steam market made my life a lot easier as regular trading resulted in these people coming to hassle and rip you off.
:,(

Begging random people for games is still incredibly weird to me. Now, I've asked people I've known for a few months/years to buy me a game if I was a bit short and I'd get them back quickly but never just some person on the webs.

Same and now I have to go through that tutorial again.

fuck that shit.

Mine happened well into the game. There's a part with some
flamethrowers
, I played all the way up past that point and when I tried to resume, I was on a cliff next to a
hang glider

It's not a ton of gameplay, but, more than I'm willing to invest back into it.

Enco

I'm sometimes wonder whether this is the application's fault or failure to properly maintain the PC by the end user.

Seeing how my dad and gf use their computers and the similar errors they experience, I would be inclined to believe the latter.
I'm running some HDD checks now.

A few times a year I have to move my desktop from place to place. This is the only time that my PC is in any sort of risk. Other than these times I really take care of my PC. It's my number one possession.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wasn't aware Uplay does this so often. When JaseC lost his 90+ hours AC4 save I started backing up my Far Cry 3 save file locally after every session just to be on the safe side.

I can't help but wonder if Ubi slightly broke something with one of the handful of recent Uplay updates. I had zero issues with the previous AssCreed games, Driver: SF and Far Cry 3, but Uplay's eaten my Black Flag saves twice now (I only lost around an hour the second time as I'd developed the habit of backing them up).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Knowing how wonky Steam was acting lately (both client and website) I'm more inclined to say this time it's Valve's fault.

EDIT: whoa, reading this last page I just had a déjà vu. I'm pretty sure this exact same conversation happened before, right? Or am I going crazy?

Tenrius

EDIT: whoa, reading this last page I just had a déjà vu. I'm pretty sure this exact same conversation happened before, right? Or am I going crazy?

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again. Haven't you watched Battlestar Galactica?

Zia

okay, Samurai Gunn is definitely the shit, top 10 GOTY material, easily. Can I just get this instead of Smash Bros. 3DS?

Two cool things I noticed:

1. If someone gets killed in the water, it stays red for a few seconds.

2. Getting into the water makes your gun unusable. I noticed this a bit too late when I tried to kill my enemy with a squirt of water and was consequently chopped in half.

Preach.

You can also drown if you feign death for too long underwater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom