• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Finished A Link Between Worlds. Just in time..

i9jIIjP.png

tumblr_llz00hp7Wn1qe95lzo1_500.gif

feel it feel it

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If steam had a PlayStation Plus like service would you guys be interested? 50$ a year for games that are added to your account aslong as you subscribe as well as better discounts?

If the bonus games included titles that have been pulled, then sure. ;)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If steam had a PlayStation Plus like service would you guys be interested? 50$ a year for games that are added to your account aslong as you subscribe as well as better discounts?
Fuck no. That setup is terrible for my gaming style plus family sharing makes it irrelevant with my group of friends.

Grief.exe

No.

Stump described Steam at one point as a subscription service. You drop $5-10 a month and pick up a few games that you really want to play.

That is the difference between something like PS+ and Steam. I can actually get the games I truly want to play for less than the price of the subscription, and I get to keep the games afterwards if I stop paying entirely.

Such a strange service where if I disagree with the direction of the product I cannot stop paying if I wish to replay the games I already earned. Microsoft with 360 and Xbox Live, I disagreed what direction they were going so I dropped the ecosystem entirely.

Hooray, giveaways!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Overlord 2 -- MB-843EBE15AE6A320A
Overlord/Overlord: Raising Hell -- MB-7FEF3D6675F717F1
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising -- MB-F1D072AD9C5BF2ED

t1387254816z1.png

Anteater

I'll generally play third-person shooters with the kb&m, whereas something like Batman I'll use the X360 controller for as the added precision isn't advantageous, at least to any notable extent.

I just can't play with keyboard and mouse unless it's absolutely necessary, I just dislike using the keyboard, but I fucking suck aiming with the analogue stick. I hate my life sometimes :(

I giff Gravi

ModBot said:
Instructions for Camel Master:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gravi -- MB-AA55C1A362023160 - Taken by KenOD
ulgzbKC.png
Gravi (Desura) -- MB-BB5E9986149A8EB8 - Taken by nightstorm

Derrick01

Banned

Not really. Most of the reason I even have PS+ is for the discounts, which steam doesn't have any issue beating regularly, and to trophy whore since the retail games are usually 3rd party games I played on PC already.

Besides knowing Steam it would be mostly indie games each month and I'm not going to pay monthly for that.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Strike Suit Zero is so beautiful with it's skybox, especially around Earth. The moon, the stars, the various "traffic" so far away they are just streaks of light in the background. I really need to find a way to extract them so I can play with the art assets.

I purchased Playstation Plus for the discounts on games and DLC, so if such a deal would save me however much it costs for the subscription on top of "free to play as long as you are a subscriber", sure.
I'm just not sure how any discounts would beat out what is already done with all the various seasonal sales.

I giff Gravi

I happily receive Gravi. Thank you.

Yes. Steamworld Dig is basically just digging to get money to buy unlocks so you can dig more. And then when the game seems like it's finally "starting to get good," it ends. I really don't understand the praise.

I see it in a different way. It's a game about exploring and making your own way through a world, making your own paths and sometimes messing up or unintentionally aiding yourself in the long road.

Some played it to get to the bottom/finish it as quickly as they can, some of us took our time because we wanted to try and get everything possible and sometimes messing up and blocking something from being grabbed. Either way, a lot of the praise it gets is for that style of journey we create for ourselves down into the depths of the world.

Grief.exe

Yes. Steamworld Dig is basically just digging to get money to buy unlocks so you can dig more. And then when the game seems like it's finally "starting to get good," it ends. I really don't understand the praise.

I would argue that it didn't overstay its welcome. The developers knew their mechanics were simple, made the best of them, and ended the game at the right time.

Jørdan

I'd rather drop $50 during a holiday sale on games I'm guaranteed to be interested in rather than gamble on crap & games my system can't run.

Colin.

It benefits consoles more, as the prices on those platforms tend to be much higher than PC. With sales and bundles, that $50 will stretch you far, and you will actually own the games. Without having to worry about them expiring.

mannerbot

I see it in a different way. It's a game about exploring and making your own way through a world, making your own paths and sometimes messing up or unintentionally aiding yourself in the long road.

Some played it to get to the bottom/finish it as quickly as they can, some of us took our time because we wanted to try and get everything possible and sometimes messing up and blocking something from being grabbed. Either way, a lot of the praise it gets is for that style of journey we create for ourselves down into the depths of the world.

I was in the first group until I got sick of the game and just wanted it to end. Thankfully, it did, but it had to get my hopes that it might get good up first before ending. But yeah, I guess that if you have fun with just the digging itself you could have a drastically different experience than I did. I love Dig Dug by the way, but this game was just a complete chore and (perhaps I am being unfair) to me it just sounds like you enjoyed slaving away for money to unlock stuff more than I did.

I would argue that it didn't overstay its welcome. The developers knew their mechanics were simple, made the best of them, and ended the game at the right time.

Well, it certainly overstayed its welcome for me, but going back to what I said in the OT I had inflated expectations. Ending the game at the right time is arguable as the ending would certainly leave you wanting more if you enjoyed it. For me, it's more like, where's the second half? But yeah, it is a 3DS eShop title so I probably would have been ok with that if I had played it on 3DS.

Smash88

Banned
That must feel so great.

It's both great and bad to get my Masters. I have finally accomplished something and feel self-worth. But at the same time, I feel lost. What do I do next? Education has been my whole life for the past 20 of my 25 years alive. I know I'll find a job eventually, but I just feel like I've accomplished everything I wanted to. Only thing left is to work until I retire. I just kind of find that unmeaningful in the grand scheme of things, despite having the ability to inspire young minds. I mean is that all there is to life? Get educated, work, retire, die. Maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis. I have no idea.

I am extremely conflicted at the moment.

Sorry to go off-topic.

SparkTR

No, being locked into a pay-wall is terrible. Especially if sales were also a part of that, it'll be a slippery slope where eventually the big Steam sales are exclusive to subscribers and you'll lose your 'free' games unless you subscribe.

I play games on a whim, I remember something cool or nostalgic and play the game for a while before getting bored. If that 'whim' meant paying money to renew my subscription to get access to that game that I intend to only play for 2 hours, I would be annoyed. Just another roadblock to enjoying games, and an upper hand to the pirates.

Firehead

Finished A Link Between Worlds. Just in time..

i9jIIjP.png

tumblr_llz00hp7Wn1qe95lzo1_500.gif

feel it feel it

Remember that time you told me to get Walking Dead over whatever other game I was going to get?.
I tried it once, got my save deleted three times and never picked it up again. I tried to enjoy the game, but it just wouldn't let me.

I'm blaming you, Salsa.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I was in the first group until I got sick of the game and just wanted it to end. Thankfully, it did, but it had to get my hopes that it might get good up first before ending. But yeah, I guess that if you have fun with just the digging itself you could have a drastically different experience than I did. I love Dig Dug by the way, but this game was just a complete chore to me and (perhaps I am being unfair) to me it just sounds like you enjoyed slaving away for money to unlock stuff more than I did.

Well there is a mindset aspect to it as well. You have the impression of "digging so you can dig some more" and "slaving away", while to me it was carving away my own little world in the dirt and collecting everything as best I could because I enjoyed getting everything until I decide to move on to the next area/depth level.

Slaving away would mean I was getting the "treasures" just for the sake of getting farther. That I was only doing so to progress down into the world, which yes is the game mechanic, but wasn't my mindset. I went in thinking "what is the best way to set up this path so I can get that "treasure", and then going back to the surface so that I could buy something to help me in such a quest or allow me to fix what was previously bared off area I lost out on with a poor dig.
There was something satisfying to me right near the end when I could look at this entire system of tunnels I had constructed over however long I played it on the 3DS and take a bit of accomplishment in the fact that most everything was collected or claimed by my work.

Though now that I think about it, there might also be something to that fact that I did play it on the 3DS. I played it with use of the sleep mode of the system, playing just in small little sessions.

I don't actually enjoy Dig Dug at all. Nor Mr. Driller. Too short and too lacking in foresight of planning I guess. Hmm, though considering they've made MMO Pac-Man and MMO Minesweeper, a MMO Dig-Dug is certainly possible to 'slave away at".

How do I register to the Flippfly webpage? When I click on "My Account" asks me for username and password but I can't see the register a new account button!

feel

Not me, I like to own my games, knowing that I will lose the rights to a bunch of games if I stop subscribing makes me uncomfortable. Plus $50 buys you a shit ton of great games on Steam/Humblebundle/Amazon in a year.

How do I register to the Flippfly webpage? When I click on "My Account" asks me for username and password but I can't see the register a new account button!

Under that, hit redeem and enter your email and the key from gog. You'll get a conformation email then choose a user name ans password and the steam key should be in your account.

Vecks

Leftovers from a humble bundle. I hope I did these urls right.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin -- MB-7229CF66BED670A7 - Taken by Darkroronoa. 2 entrants total.
F.E.A.R. 3 -- MB-E7DED57DE2EAC048 - Taken by HalfwayOrb. 2 entrants total.
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North -- MB-B558A62B0640E68C - Taken by ricochetguro. 1 entrants total.

t1387173995z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom