• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just wish they'd discount the DLC. I want both of them. :\

Same here. Although I wonder: can you set which DLC you want to use or not use in the game options? Or does it just add these words to it's available dictionary of phrases?

Grief.exe

Typing of the Dead is $6.80 on GamersGate right now and redeems on Steam: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TOTDOK/typing-of-the-dead-overkill

Edit: Was Grief'ed.

Sorry Dusk, just got done posting it on Wario's Twitter so I was ready.

Nah, both are awesome, but one is less awesome than the other.

Can't wait for the PC version to decide for myself. Playing through TLOU of PS3 right now.

In fact, I'm about to hook it up to my PC to see how it plays.

cicero

Help me guys, should I get the GOG pack?

I'm afraid if I get it then I might start buying games from GOG, and I spend enough as it is with Steam :(
I have been poking and prodding Jase towards this for months. Just think of it as having another digital library that compliments your massive Steam library.

Grief.exe

All that effort trying to convince others that the game wasn't good.........wasted. How do you feel? :p

I feel fine? I'm not putting in effort or have an agenda here, that is just my opinion.

The game itself isn't good, the ending experience is good though. Game of the year? Far from it, especially when you go back and watch Levine's intro video for Bioshock 1 and breaking away from the pitfalls of modern gaming.

Jawmuncher

MFW Bioshock Infinite is about to win Game of the Year awards

ihR7Ngz5lPLsK.png

The took, what could have been a very compelling narrative, and dressed it up with modern gaming trappings that bring down the entire experience. It reminds me of Skyrim in a way, where it is a poor game, but people enjoy the experience so it becomes Game of the Year somehow.

I think it's going to get snubbed.
Most talk of it has died out and most opinion while positive at first has done a 180. Last of Us and GTA V seem to be the titles that'll sweep with infinite picking up the scraps only because it's really the only other big name left. Shame to because I was liking it at first then everything just sort of seemed to go down hill. Makes me appreciate Bio 1 and hell even 2 a lot more. Which are both titles I was never particularly fond of.

While if were talking Steam only probably since it was the only game to get a damn PC release.
Rockstar botched it with no GTAV on PC.

zkylon

zkylewd

ihR7Ngz5lPLsK.png

The took, what could have been a very compelling narrative, and dressed it up with modern gaming trappings that bring down the entire experience. It reminds me of Skyrim in a way, where it is a poor game, but people enjoy the experience so it becomes Game of the Year somehow.

well, it wasn't really much of a good year for mainstream games

I can't really think of any other aaa games deserving to win

Seanspeed

Banned
I feel fine? I'm not putting in effort or have an agenda here, that is just my opinion.

The game itself isn't good, the ending experience is good though. Game of the year? Far from it, especially when you go back and watch Levine's intro video for Bioshock 1 and breaking away from the pitfalls of modern gaming.
Just giving you a hard time man. I tend to see you comment whenever this game gets mentioned.

I agree its not GOTY material, even if I did like it quite a bit.

eyeless

ihR7Ngz5lPLsK.png

what should win

-30% off with TAREM-598HC-6O8XK @ GMG for: Final Fantasy VIII, THIEF, THIEF: Master Thief Edition, Dementium 2, LEGO Marvel Superheroes, Batman Arkham Origins, Pro Evolution Soccer 2014, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag Season Pass, XCOM: Enemy Within, and finally Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition.

Kinda wanna get FFVIII but maybe it's cheaper on the Steam Sale (or in the Squeenix Xmas bundle)

what should win

Deadly Premonition of course

Been playing Race The Sun, courtesy of that big discount (with Steam redeemable code through official means) over at GOG.com. Breathtaking "racer" once you get further into it. Even likes to obscure your vision on occasion to keep you on edge.

That bloom-ish visual effect that I assumed was lightning in Region 4 though? THAT SHIT - much to my dismay upon discovery - AIN'T LIGHTNING!

TLOU is the best game.

I'm excited to play it. I'm actually currently in the process of swapping my 360 for a PS3, just nabbed the 3 on ebay and will sell the 360 when it arrives. I've made the choice to avoid next-gen as I'm loving my PC as a primary gaming box. And the PS3 just makes more sense for a primary PC gamer (
and this is coming from a Microsoft employee :p
). I still want something under the TV for easy netflix, movies and the occasional fighting game. But this way I get a Blu-Ray player and I don't have to pay for Netflix usage. Was a bit bummed to lose my XBLA collection, but most of that stuff has been coming to the PC anyways, so no big loss.

Hmm, got a second upgrade voucher for Clickteam Fusion 2 for some reason. Already upgraded, so anyone want it? It might only work in EU though, and you can ask for a Steam key. It's on €50 and takes the price down to about €30 for the standard version.

Same here. Although I wonder: can you set which DLC you want to use or not use in the game options? Or does it just add these words to it's available dictionary of phrases?

Based on the trailer, I think it's an "option" to select which dictionary you want to use for your phrases.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Based on the trailer, I think it's an "option" to select which dictionary you want to use for your phrases.

Awesome. Definitely getting this
when it's on sale

FloatOn

Bioshock Infinite deserves all the praise, such a vibrant and great setting full of life (and death).

I don't think anyone will disagree with Infinite having some of the finest art direction and one of the best stories to ever grace video games. The contention here is that as a game it's atrocious (meaning what you do while you play it).

I played all 3 Bioshock games over the course of about a month a half and coming from Bioshock 2 it's abundantly clear that Infinite was created for the Call of Duty 4 fan. They limit you to two weapons at a time, give you a regenerating overshield, and remove ammo types completely and call it a day. The only thing they give you that is somewhat unique is the powers and the skyhook. The vigors are mainly a rehash of what existed previously and the skyhook was sadly under utilized.

Jawmuncher

I don't think anyone will disagree with Infinite having some of the finest art direction and one of the best stories to ever grace video games. The contention here is that as a game it's atrocious (meaning what you do while you play it).

I don't think I played the same game.
Played it all the way through and I couldn't tell you much about what was going on aside from the twist that felt like it was there just to have one. As I said before Infinite made me appreciate Bio 1 and 2 much more. Looking back now Bio 1 really is a classic and why I have been so jaded on it in the past i'm not quite sure.

jshackles

Someone fill me in on the Magic: The Gathering games... is there any point in getting 2012 or should I just get 2014?

They're basically the same game although enough time passed between 2012 and 2014 that there are different cards and different decks (although most of the themes are the same).

If you play MTG the physical game, you might find the amount of deck customization in the Duels of the Plainswalker games frustrating.

Each version introduces (and sometimes takes away) gameplay elements. 2014 added a terrible "sealed deck" option, but the single player campaign was much improved.

Grief.exe

what should win

I don't think I'm qualified to make that decision.

I haven't played Metro, Brothers, Gunslinger, Gone Home, or The Last of Us, though I am working my way through the majority of those games.

Honestly my favorite games that I played this year weren't even released in 2013.

I played all 3 Bioshock games over the course of about a month a half and coming from Bioshock 2 it's abundantly clear that Infinite was created for the Call of Duty 4 fan. They limit you to two weapons at a time, give you a regenerating overshield, and remove ammo types completely and call it a day. The only thing they give you that is somewhat unique is the powers and the skyhook. The vigors are mainly a rehash of what existed previously and the skyhook was sadly under utilized.

Agreed on all counts.

FloatOn

I don't think I played the same game.
Played it all the way through and I couldn't tell you much about what was going on aside from the twist that felt like it was there just to have one. As I said before Infinite made me appreciate Bio 1 and 2 much more. Looking back now Bio 1 really is a classic and why I have been so jaded on it in the past i'm not quite sure.

I think all of the Bioshock stories kind of compliment each other in a way. 1 and 2 present two sides of same argument while Infinite provides the umbrella that both of them are under. I've always been intrigued by the philosophical implications of quantum physics which is why I appreciated the story in Infinite so much.

what should win

Grand Theft Auto 5

Backlogger

the skyhook was sadly under utilized.

I think if Skyhook would have been more used than it was it would have come across as gimmicky. I thought they used it just enough. I do think they should have let you carry all the weapon types though.

Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I judge a game by how much I get sucked into completing it. Infinite was the only game that came out this year that I played non stop until I finished it. I'm not sure if its worse than 1 & 2, maybe it is, but for games that came out this year that I played, Bioshock Inifnite kept me coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom