• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I think all of the Bioshock stories kind of compliment each other in a way. 1 and 2 present two sides of same argument while Infinite provides the umbrella that both of them are under. I've always been intrigued by the philosophical implications of quantum physics which is why I appreciated the story in Infinite so much.

I'll have to go and read it again.
My distaste for infinite while I played it more than likely soured the story for me.
I'm sure as you said the deeper meanings and the like from the story are probably better than most.

I don't think anyone will disagree with Infinite having some of the finest art direction and one of the best stories to ever grace video games. The contention here is that as a game it's atrocious (meaning what you do while you play it).

I played all 3 Bioshock games over the course of about a month a half and coming from Bioshock 2 it's abundantly clear that Infinite was created for the Call of Duty 4 fan. They limit you to two weapons at a time, give you a regenerating overshield, and remove ammo types completely and call it a day. The only thing they give you that is somewhat unique is the powers and the skyhook. The vigors are mainly a rehash of what existed previously and the skyhook was sadly under utilized.

ugh. yes. Still sad about this. So much promise and it's main use is to destroy peopls faces

Not that.

and a new challenger approaches the GOTY discussion....

derExperte

Deadly Premonition of course

I put that at 2. But the port was too bad, I'm not finished yet and had to counter the imo unwarrented and exaggerated backlash against the lovely Infinite. Truly a 'what game did they play?' situation for both sides it seems and yes, I liked Infinites gameplay. Only TLOU was a tiny, teeny bit better overall imo.

MFW Bioshock Infinite is about to win Game of the Year awards

ihR7Ngz5lPLsK.png
I voted in your stupid steam game poll thing and it was only one game because I couldn't think of anything. Please have this opened in an adjacent tab as you read it for the full extent of the message to be conveyed.

sr4k0zv5.gif

I am really bitter about all of this because Arkham City came out two years ago and I still didn't play Origins.

FloatOn

My main thing with the skyhook was that as I was zipping around this floating sky city I never once feared for my life that I would slip and fall to my death. The skyhook platforming should have taken a lesson from Mirrors Edge.

The positive things I have to say about Bioshock Infinite start and end with the art direction and Luteces, which aren't enough to save the rest of the game being as utterly mediocre as it is. Levine's becoming the game equivalent of Shyamalan.

Tizoc

GMG sent me a code for 30% off various titles such as FF8 and Thief.
Thing is I can't use it with any other code =/
FF8 for under $6 would've been soooooooooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Is the only code available the 25% one?

Dr Dogg

Despite what some people might think this year has had some good stories, not great but very good for gaming but some down right banal gameplay devoid of innovation outside of the indie scene.

Good job I'm easy to please.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
FF8 for under $6 would've been soooooooooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Considering it was just released on Steam, it's certainly worth picking up for 30% off. Totally worth it.

zkylon

zkylewd
if I could in good conscience I'd probably vote league of legends as it's the thing that's been occupying 99% of my gaming time.

this year in aaa gaming was pretty shit, can't really think of anything to vote that isn't infinite, which I voted for "experience" like grief said

so yeah, kentucky route zero, you deserve being above all this multi million dollar pieces of garbage :/

feel

What should win GOTY?
The game that's most popular on steam obviously
DOTA2!
Not sure if serious, but Dota 2 does shit on every other 2013 game from great height. It doesn't really feel like a 2013 game with the beta being out for a while though.

derExperte

The positive things I have to say about Bioshock Infinite start and end with the art direction and Luteces, which aren't enough to save the rest of the game being as utterly mediocre as it is. Levine's becoming the game equivalent of Shyamalan.

Shyamalan hasn't made anything that comes close to mediocre in the last 10 years though.

No doubt that Tiny Thief was a fun game on IOS, but $14.99 for the PC version is pushing it.
Especially when their reasoning is:
Hi everyone!

In this version we have made an additional effort to make the game look as good as possible, with high-quality graphics and other improvements to make the experience as smooth as possible. Additionally, the game is 3$ on mobile platforms: prices are set differently on each platform and these two markets are very different.

We've been developing Tiny Thief for over 2 years, the game has around 3.000 animations and 700 sound effects plus music; crafted by a small team of passionate game developers. We truly believe Tiny Thief to be a unique and great game with a correct price for this platform and we hope you feel the same way once you get to play the adventure.

So some graphical changes and updates are the only differences. I usually don't complain about this stuff, but this is ridiculous

FloatOn

I'd love to Metro: Last Light make it into the top 10, but alas, it's not going to happen.

yeah, Metro: Last Light was the best FPS this year for sure.

it kind of makes me want to get into the STALKER games but shit, I haven't even played fallout 3 or new vegas yet.

Been playing Race The Sun, courtesy of that big discount (with Steam redeemable code through official means) over at GOG.com. Breathtaking "racer" once you get further into it. Even likes to obscure your vision on occasion to keep you on edge.

That bloom-ish visual effect that I assumed was lightning in Region 4 though? THAT SHIT - much to my dismay upon discovery - AIN'T LIGHTNING!

I've purchased it on GOG, too; how can I get a Steam key?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
No doubt that Tiny Thief was a fun game on IOS, but $14.99 for the PC version is pushing it.
Especially when their reasoning is:

So some graphical changes and updates are the only differences. I usually don't complain about this stuff, but this is ridiculous

I agree with you 100% here. I'm not even sure what they're thinking, unless it's that at 75% off, the game will still be $3.75. If you pay full price for this, you are a sucker.

Arthea

Not sure if serious, but Dota 2 does shit on every other 2013 game from great height. It doesn't really feel like a 2013 game with the beta being out for a while though.

I was joking and not, judging by playtimes of DOTA2 I see in my fl at times, it should be winning, seriously. If I played hundreds hours of a game, it would be my GOTY. (><)

About not really worthy AAA winning all those GOTY lists year after year, I have a theory: these games are advertised a lot and many people play them just because they know about them and wanna see for themselves what's up. While with other games, especially indie games everyone chooses games of own liking and not many poeple plays the same set of games, except of AAA, that's why those win even when unworthy, exposition.

Turfster

And that was Finding Teddy.
Pretty short and sweet, with easy one-click controls.
I suggest you don't idle it for cards and just play it, it took me about an hour and a bit to finish.

FloatOn

The bus is still waiting for you man. It's an amazing game.

I have no doubt that it's good but like most competitive games the people that play them are probably light years beyond my ability and there is no way I'll ever be able to catch up. I just don't have the time to devote to games like I used to.

Interfectum

I have no doubt that it's good but like most competitive games the people that play them are probably light years beyond my ability and there is no way I'll ever be able to catch up. I just don't have the time to devote to games like I used to.

There's matchmaking co-op in the game (5 vs 5 NPC). People are generally more chill in there and it gives you a chance to learn some heroes.

So Square-Enix are doing a mystery Christmas box for £4.99 which has a value over £50

https://store.eu.square-enix.com/em...s-download/Square-Enix-Christmas-Surprise.php

The contents are Steam related and has four games:

Guesses on what games might be in it?

Whatever gaems have a shit ton of DLC that they will hope to flog to those who do this.

A sprat to catch a mackerel.

gross

how do you recognize people then

Yes it is pretty gross isn't it?

Just finished Resident Evil: Revelations and to my surprise really enjoyed it (bullshit final boss aside). Seams to be just the right mix of the older style (1,2 & 3) and the newer ones (4 & 5). Though was a bit threadbare on the puzzle aspect and you can tell it was a handheld game as the enimies are massive and aiming is very forgivable. If you're a series fan definitely worth a punt if it comes up on sale soon.

Though seeing as I've just unlocked all the levels for the cavernous Raid mode seams like I'm far from done.

Raid mode is the best mode in that game. Tens of hours in that, single player only, on the 3DS for me.

By the thoughts and ideas they expose in their post, duh.

That too.

Some posting styles are so recognisable that I don't even need to see the username to know who posted it. Unprovoked, drive by, snarky response to another GAFer's post who was just minding their own business? Looks at username...yep, as I thought.

I wasn't on Steam for a while and logged in today and received a key, thanks to woo and indeed hoo for Electronic Super Joy :)

You're welcome; enjoy the seizures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom