• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

We are getting Trails next year, 2 games no less! That's like having xmas all year long. (><)

!!!
Totally forgot about that. Day one.

Actually Shin Megami Tensei was released on PC in Japan if I remember correctly, it's a pity they abandoned platform later.

There were two games released for PC, Giten Megami Tensei: Tokyo Mokushiroku and Shin Megami Tensei Imagine. Oldschool dungeon crawler and MMO.
Would love to have SMT3/SJ/4 on PC though, they would fit the platform way better than consoles.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Am I the only one who thought this was a Dark Souls card?

Obviously I didn't, but I get the two games confused all the time when I see the name preemptively. It's not intentional as the game is older than Dark Souls, but as they both start with Dark and end with Souls, its an understandable confusion.

Dr Dogg

I'd love for Disney Interactive to get over its strange aversion to Steam but I think it's one those things have would have happened by now if it were going to at all.

Considering they're on XBL, PSN and iOS (Android as well?) I'd say you're right. I fear for the LucasArts games (that and I'm never getting a digital release if DotT or Grim Fandango).

What's move puzzling is if I wanted half the shovelware they send out to third parties all I have to do is pop down the supermarket and I could snag 20 or so Disney themed titles on PC for a few quid and add them as sudo-Steam games.

That Mouse is a control freak I tell you.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Atlus may get better on PC ports as they're owned by SEGA now, but to be seen.

I am guessing that SEGA is handling Atlus like their other bought companies and letting them do what they want to do, as their recent announcements seemed more inclined with things Atlus would do rather than something SEGA might suggest they do. That Persona dancing game, for instance, is being made by one of SEGA's studios (the dance division, as I call it, the ones who do the Miku games), but I hardly think SEGA was the one to approach Atlus with making a Persona dancing game.

FloatOn

For the first half of Ys 1 I'd agree with that assesment but the Abandoned Mine and Darm Tower is where it gets tedious to navigate. There needs to be a map, straight up. In the Darm Tower if it wasn't for the text in the upper righthand corner stating the floor I'm on, I wouldn't know that I ascending or descending the tower, there's no visual cues. The panorama outside is always the same, regardless of the level of the tower that you're on. They re-use the background art for the interior so much it's impossible to tell if I'm making any discernible progress.

Nevermind that some of the puzzles have some "Ninja's have kidnapped the president, are you a bad enough dude to rescue him?" level of logic behind them. You get an ordinary hammer as a reward for defeating a sub-boss and smash a completely nondescript pillar and this, somehow, magically let's you pass through the hallway of death....what? If I hadn't been reading a FAQ, I wouldn't even know.

yeah the Abandoned Mine is really bad as is Darm Tower. Just wait until you get to the Solomon Shrine in Ys 2 though, it makes those look like a straight line.

Jawmuncher

I don't go outside of the Steam thread much :(

I posted that here yesterday but nobody cared. :/

You gotta leave the nest someday.
There's a whole new world out there.

Been playing Gunpoint.
I'm liking it my buddy gifted it to me. While I agree that far to many indie games are 2D fair.
If there this fun and interesting I don't particularly mind.

Saty

Gave L.A. Noire a try. Only thing i can say is that performance is crap. I believe i meet the requirements, tried everything but nothing helps. 20-30 fps in that first crime scene looking for clues, controls are very sluggish and im playing at 768P to boot. Maybe i'm limited by my CPU but anyhow this is probably the worst performing game i've met in some time.

Knurek

I'm liking it my buddy gifted it to me. While I agree that far to many indie games are 2D fair. If there this fun and interesting I don't particularly mind.

Honestly, I'd much rather have 2D in an indie game than 3D - not many indie devs (Frozenbyte, Black Forest come to mind) can make a 3D game that isn't cringeworthy.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Gave L.A. Noire a try. Only thing i can say is that performance is crap. I believe i meet the requirements, tried everything but nothing helps. 20-30 fps in that first crime scene looking for clues, controls are very sluggish and im playing at 768P to boot. Maybe i'm limited by my CPU but anyhow this is probably the worst performing game i've met in some time.

LA Noire is locked to 30fps.

Jawmuncher

Honestly, I'd much rather have 2D in an indie game than 3D - not many indie devs (Frozenbyte, Black Forest come to mind) can make a 3D game that isn't cringeworthy.

I can definitely agree with that.
Better they work with something they know than force 3D with unsuccessful results.

Dr Dogg

That video is such a classic.
You definitley should finish DmC it's pretty good.

Please don't turn that comment into DMC vs DmC and we have 7 plus pages of that.

Hahaha I quite like both (for differing reasons) but duly noted.

I want to get it and a few others knocked about soonish for the Steam GOTY awards.

I need a gaben inspired motivational montage or something.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Cook, Serve, Delicious! has to have the best emoticons in the steam store.

62fx62f
62fx62f
62fx62f
62fx62f

FloatOn

speaking of indie games, I was thinking of making a thread about this but instead I want to discuss it with all of my loved ones here. Do you ever think indie games will come full circle once they start getting funding from major devs? Meaning, could indies start making compromises to the authentic gameplay they set out to achieve and thereby become the new school AAA homogenized crap of the future?

62fx62f
62fx62f
62fx62f
62fx62f

I think we should use these emoticons to denote our mood for every response in this thread.

62fx62f

Arthea

Still no news about Steins;Gate release on steam. Could it be that JAST decided not to bother with steam?

Probably JAST haven't released anything on steam yet. Did they?

Man FEZ is really, really dope, but I am missing a sense of direction. I just keep going into doors which takes me to new locations, unsure if I even finished the previous one. I'm afraid I'll be backtracking through a lot of area's to get a cube-part here, cube-part there.

I really couldn't get into FEZ. It just seemed to random and aimless...

After I first finished FEZ on the 360 I nagged a friend until he played it, partly because I secretly wanted to see how he'd cope with this. He's the kind of guy who always tries to 100% all his games, and when there are two paths he always makes sure to fully investigate the optional/secondary one before moving on with the main story.

Fez doesn't let you do that though - there are no 'secondary' paths. You must come to terms with the fact that you must leave some doors behind at some point, knowing that you'll eventually go back to them, way later. Don't try to 100% each room before moving on to the next one: you just can't sometimes. You're meant to wander around freely, in a non-linear way. Let go of your OCD :p

....oh. and now I know why. Maybe i'll come back a little later.

Xanathus

A lot of newer console port games are bottlenecked by your processor speed. Far Cry 3, LA Noire and Assassin's Creed 3/4 come to mind. Getting an i5 gen or above processor should be enough.

62fx62f
62fx62f
62fx62f
62fx62f
I like that they're actually... emoticons, as opposed to just about every other game taking any ol' random thing and shrinking it down to something indecipherable.

swcrown
culterl
blackmask
Healing
LLTOwl
-- random examples I took

And then there are the ones that try to be emoticons, but the facial expressions don't end up translating to the smaller size so you still don't know what you're looking at.

harveyangry
harveyastonished
harveyconfused
harveysad
harveyhappy
harveyskeptic
-- these are all different believe it or not

Doesn't really matter though because the best and most widely encompassing emoticon is already available.

B1

Jawmuncher

speaking of indie games, I was thinking of making a thread about this but instead I want to discuss it with all of my loved ones here. Do you ever think indie games will come full circle once they start getting funding from major devs? Meaning, could indies start making compromises to the authentic gameplay they set out to achieve and thereby become the new school AAA homogenized crap of the future?

I thought this exact thing was what Square was trying to do with their older IPs like Fear Effect. Offer them to indie devs and offer some support in development.

Still no news about Steins;Gate release on steam. Could it be that JAST decided not to bother with steam?

Probably JAST haven't released anything on steam yet. Did they?

Probably taking their sweet ass time. Ever17 popped up on SteamDB and nothing has come of that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom