• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just seems a bit strange. I mean Agarest e.g. from Ghostlight got quite lots of exposure and talk. Same with KoF.

But Castlevania and now MGR seems like they just put it on Steam without people even noticing it.
I just wonder what they are thinking. Is it "Its Metal Gear. We dont need any marketing for that!" or "Just having it on Steam will take care of it!".

Ahh, and the game involves condoms at some point?

I guess so. I just played the last one, not the earlier ones, so I cant really say. But I guess it involves condoms as part of the story.

Caerith

I've seen "different markets" argument used for pricing of console games (sometimes ridiculous, especially for digital versions), never thought I'll see it used for PC gaming too.
Kind of ironic, no?
I suspect that they'd get less flak if, instead of using the "different markets" argument, they said "we consulted our horoscopes, and, by Neptune's beard, the $15 pricepoint seemed favorable."

"Steam users buy anything, right? How can we lose!"
They know they'll get your +1 gamecount money sooner or later.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Playing any game with pubs has always led to less than optimal times, my love for CS is fairly outweighed by not wanting to deal with anyone's bullshit when I play. Friends only or bust anymore.

Hell is other people.
Fortunately I never ran into any of these fools when playing F.E.A.R. or Jedi Knight 2, which is good because I totally sucked :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Ahh, and the game involves condoms at some point?

What was said above is about right, its a horror point'n'click game,condoms come into play as you're investigating in one scene a sort of shady hotel that people have been murdered in the past, and your character is investigating.

I would only really recommend the game if these type of games have interest for you. It's kind of slow (the horror elements don't really become that interesting for example until a few hours in), and the story is debatable if its good or not, with some of the classic hard-to-wrap-your-mind-around puzzles of the Adventure genre, but it has some good atmosphere and use of audio, but a slow-burn type game.

Anteater

Anyone wondering why japanese devs still dont get Steam?

I mean, it seems MGR is releasing in maybe a month (?) or even earlier and there is no marketing for the PC-Version at all. We didnt even hear much from the version and only got two twitter news, one is Kojima showing some picture of the PC-version and one is the news we got a few days ago.

It just seems they really send it to die. Its kinda sad, that some Indiedevs can do better marketing than Konami...

Their western branch seem really incompetent at marketing their own games or just don't give a shit :lol

Arthea

How good PC version of BioInfinite is? I think I encountered a glitch at the fair. In minigame with shooting some flying guy, I got to prizes podium screen and than nothing happened, a game didn't start, I couldn't disengage or do anything except restarting from the last checkpoint. What's strange, as I had no problems with this minigame other two times before.

Arthea

Cool, thanks.

I got

The Last Remnant
Baldurs Gate
Baldurs Gate 2
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale 2
Planescape Torment

for £5.74

Never played any of the Black Isle games before. Might not get to them immediately, but I think I will soon. In the mood to catch up a bit on the good PC games I've missed out on the past decade and a half or so.
That's many great games for such a price. You could have bought gog bundle alternatively too.
Also I hope you'll enjoy the Last Remnant, this game was one of a few nice surprises last gen.

Konami. No need to say more. Effing Konami.

Yup Konami is self explanatory term, unless it's MGS, they seem not to care how their games do.

Arthea

Does the game have a lot of permanently missable content? Hate it when jRPG do that.

It has... Still, you can miss this content and still enjoy the game and finish it, like nothing happened. You most likely miss some generals (characters) this way though.

Does the game have a lot of permanently missable content? Hate it when jRPG do that.

It has more than most JRPGs. Lots of side-quests will pop up at various cities on the world map and missing one might cancel out an entire chain and so on. Still, a great game worth playing.

It had.

I liked Last Remnant, but after a while it gets really repetetive and some of the sidequest-monsters are impossible without grinding.
Even though I 100% the Game, I still didnt really get the battle-system...

Divius

Man FEZ is really, really dope, but I am missing a sense of direction. I just keep going into doors which takes me to new locations, unsure if I even finished the previous one. I'm afraid I'll be backtracking through a lot of area's to get a cube-part here, cube-part there.

Knurek

Man FEZ is really, really dope, but I am missing a sense of direction. I just keep going into doors which takes me to new locations, unsure if I even finished the previous one. I'm afraid I'll be backtracking through a lot of area's to get a cube-part here, cube-part there.

If it's not gold on the map screen, you're not done with the area.

Arthea

It had.

I liked Last Remnant, but after a while it gets really repetetive and some of the sidequest-monsters are impossible without grinding.
Even though I 100% the Game, I still didnt really get the battle-system...

While that's true, these side bosses are optional, so in fact you don't have to grind, unless you want 100% the game, then certain missable bosses make you grind like there is no tomorrow.
I actually would suggest not giving a damn about 100%-ing the game first time around, it's much more enjoyable this way, and after, if you like it enough and are dedicated to do 100% run, do it second time with using checklist, as some things are really easy to miss.

Dusk Golem

Just recalled today is Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 1 & Dementium II HD's release dates. I think most people will know what to expect of Walking Dead Season 2, so leave impressions of Dementium II HD later today.

Dr Dogg

Where as Dark Souls has a recommendation of a Gamepad on the store page, FEZ needs to let people know they will need a pen and paper, lots of paper.

I played the DS version back in the day and really enjoyed it but it'll be interesting to see how it translates to the PC. There were some pretty effective images in the game.

Seanspeed

Banned
That's many great games for such a price. You could have bought gog bundle alternatively too.
Also I hope you'll enjoy the Last Remnant, this game was one of a few nice surprises last gen.
I actually bought The Last Remnant for the 360 a long time ago. Lent it to a friend who had it for like a year and then when I got it back, I was playing other games. Hearing that the PC version is much better, I'm kinda glad I waited.

There are little icons on the rooms when in map view that will tell you if you haven't gotten something there yet. If the room is surrounded by gold borders, you are done there.

And yea, there is often some backtracking involved. Don't worry about getting lost, though. Just roll with it. I got about halfway through and stopped because I couldn't figure out the 'puzzles' in the game. After looking up some of the solutions, I'm pretty sure I would have never figured them out and I'm not sure how others do.

It was fun for while it lasted, though.

Acccent

After I first finished FEZ on the 360 I nagged a friend until he played it, partly because I secretly wanted to see how he'd cope with this. He's the kind of guy who always tries to 100% all his games, and when there are two paths he always makes sure to fully investigate the optional/secondary one before moving on with the main story.

Fez doesn't let you do that though - there are no 'secondary' paths. You must come to terms with the fact that you must leave some doors behind at some point, knowing that you'll eventually go back to them, way later. Don't try to 100% each room before moving on to the next one: you just can't sometimes. You're meant to wander around freely, in a non-linear way. Let go of your OCD :p

Dusk Golem

Wha'tre the chances of FF15 and KH3 releasing on PC/Steam?

Square seems to be getting on-top and behind the Steam platform, but they've mainly been doing it for older releases, so to be seen.

Kingdom Hearts is less likely I would think as outside of Nintendo handhelds, it seems pretty Sony exclusive.

If Square Enix brings FFXV to the PC I will buy all of their Final Fantasy ios ports.
That's a lie

The article linked above seems to imply there's a chance. As for Kingdom Hearts 3 I just don't see it. No history of being on the PC and Disney seems strict about such things given some of the issues with bringing Birth By Sleep to PSN.

Knurek

I had actually forgotten about that, so maybe if they're doing multi-platform development. Sneaking suspicion if it does happen it'll be sometime after the console versions though.

We have a higher chance on getting android ports of older games.
Constant internet connection required, 360p graphics with point scaling, mouse only controls, $29.99 per game

Dusk Golem

Seems all of the Humble Alan Wake Bundle stuff just came to Steam for those who own Alan Wake.

gpzu.png

Bonus videos
Early demo videos, making of documentaries, the story of Remedy, Balance Slays the Demon music video and a clip from the Harry Garrett Show.

Visual exploration
Alan Wake's visual identity guidelines, concept art, production photos, high resolution wallpapers and printable cardboard cutout characters.

Graphic novels
Two graphic novels set in the world of Alan Wake titled Night Springs and Psycho Thriller, with stories by Sam Lake and Mikko Rautalahti.

Note by note
The soundtrack of Alan Wake's American Nightmare and sheet music of Alan Wake, both composed by Petri Alanko.

Lost pages
The complete Alan Wake screenplay and also scripts of The Writer and The Signal, narrations, Mr. Scratch videos, radio shows and manuscript pages.

Dr Dogg

With Disney involved, very, very unlikely. Split/Second has a more probable chance. Love to be proved wrong though.

If Square Enix brings FFXV to the PC I will buy all of their Final Fantasy ios ports.
That's a lie

I've got them added to my wishlist for ages but damn are they expensive. Maybe if VIII pulls in decent numbers on Steam and the VI iOS touch up flops they might consider putting them on Steam. Can't see why not, I'd snag them up if they're just ported as is (resolution options accounting) and I'm sure a lot of other would as well.

Arthea

I had actually forgotten about that, so maybe if they're doing multi-platform development. Sneaking suspicion if it does happen it'll be sometime after the console versions though.

Not really, they often are vague in their interviews and press releases, but if I learned something about SE in last 10 years, that we can expect anything we want or don't want on iOS, everything else most likely:
1. Will be delayed indefinitely.
2. Never will see the west.
3. Will be not worth the money.

edited: I may sound bitter, but FF5 and 6 were the last straw. Seriously...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
With Disney involved, very, very unlikely. Split/Second has a more probable chance. Love to be proved wrong though.

I'd love for Disney Interactive to get over its strange aversion to Steam but I think it's one those things have would have happened by now if it were going to at all.

Square Enix still have some incredible handheld (PSP/3DS) projects and hopefully now that the FFXIV debacle has been fixed they will have more big projects coming out. Hell, we're getting a new Drakengard game for christ's sake. Localized months later no less!

Knurek

Square Enix still have some incredible handheld (PSP/3DS) projects and hopefully now that the FFXIV debacle has been fixed they will have more big projects coming out. Hell, we're getting a new Drakengard game for christ's sake. Localized months later no less!

We seriously need a Nier PC port.

Arthea

Would buy it, also Tales of games... they should release PC ports, would buy them all for a nice price.

while we are in dreamland: we need Yakuza games, RoF and Valkyria Chronicles (all games) on steam.

edited: Oh, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon too!

edit2: that reminds me that we are very close to Trails release, couple of months I want to believe. That will be glorious!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
May be a bit too dark for my tastes. It's kind of an horror adventure game.
I didn't find it interesting, played couple of hours or so and dropped. Talking about Lost Souls here.
What was said above is about right, its a horror point'n'click game,condoms come into play as you're investigating in one scene a sort of shady hotel that people have been murdered in the past, and your character is investigating.

I would only really recommend the game if these type of games have interest for you. It's kind of slow (the horror elements don't really become that interesting for example until a few hours in), and the story is debatable if its good or not, with some of the classic hard-to-wrap-your-mind-around puzzles of the Adventure genre, but it has some good atmosphere and use of audio, but a slow-burn type game.

Ah not my type then. I prefer humorous adventure games.

With that said I still lol at the badge

scotcheggz

So yesterday I asked if anyone had any views on FATE, I'm suprised no one replied since everyone loves Torchlight round here! Either I'm really LTTP or this is gone under the radar, but I took a punt on it as soon as I found out it was made by the guys who made Torchlight and I'm loving it. Only got to level 5-6 of the dungeon, but so far it feels like Torchlight 0.5 or something. I think I prefer it to the first Torchlight and even though it's starting to look and feel a tiny tiny bit dated, I think I can probably get as much out of it as Torchlight 1+2.

S4lJbmUl.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

15: Likely, since they said they're using DirectX instead of their own engine for that outing. But unlikely.

KH3: No chance in hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom