• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
Here's the developer's rationalisation as to why it's $15:

Translation: "We priced it at $15 rather than $3 because we think we can get away with doing so."

Unless i'm missing something or its on sale its currently a dollar on Android.

More like Big Thief amirite?

Knurek

Translation: "We priced it at $15 rather than $3 because we think we can get away with doing so."

More accurate: "Everyone's buying stuff on Steam when it hits 75% off, let's inflate the base price to make some money even at that discount".

I think 2014 will be a tough year for indies on Steam - loads of bad games getting released, which might result in buyer's fatigue.

Pity, given that beril's Gunman Clive will be released by then - guy just can't catch a break, it seems. :\

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
More accurate: "Everyone's buying stuff on Steam when it hits 75% off, let's inflate the base price to make some money even then".

I think 2014 will be a tough year for indies on Steam - loads of bad games getting released, which might result in buyer's fatigue.

Pity, given that beril's Gunman Clive will be released by then - guy just can't catch a break, it seems. :\

I think it would have done well if it were priced lower and had an early bird discount: say, $5 and 33% off for a week. Releasing the game at $15 when you can get the very same thing on a mobile device for a fraction of that is just going to cause everybody to wait it out.

Sad thing is that Tiny Thief is actually a pretty fun game, with a charming art style and animations. I enjoyed it on IOS. But the devs shot themselves in the foot with that PC price and ridiculous reasoning

On the flip side, Vector is $0.99/1.99 on IOS, $6.99 on Steam but has/is getting PC exclusive features like:
- Level editor
- new Hunter mode
- no micro-transactions and revamped in-game currency to be less grindy
- controller support
- HD graphics

Now that justifies a price increase IMO

Caerith

I think it would have done well if it were priced lower and had an early bird discount: say, $5 and 33% off for a week. Releasing the game at $15 when you can get the very same thing on a mobile device for a fraction of that is just going to cause everybody to wait it out.

They're probably counting on people not knowing any better.

JaseC

Sad thing is that Tiny Thief is actually a pretty fun game, with a charming art style and animations. I enjoyed it on IOS. But the devs shot them in the foot with that PC price

On the flip side, Vector is $0.99/1.99 on IOS, $6.99 on Steam but is getting PC exclusive features like:
- Level editor
- new Hunter mode
- no micro-transactions and revamped in-game currency to be less grindy
- controller support
- HD graphics

Now that justifies a price increase IMO

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with a bump if the devs went the extra mile. If Paradox had removed microtransactions from Knights of Pen & Paper's PC release I don't think people would have complained about the game being $10 rather than $3.

They're probably counting on people not knowing any better.

Yeah, the "different markets" comment makes that clear, but I flicked through the Top Sellers list and the game is nowhere among the hundred titles, haha. Oops!

Knurek

Oh god, just looked at top seller's list... Is everyone and their dog buying Motor Rock to scalp it when it inevitably gets delisted?

Also, why are so many people buying not Finnish games? O_O - 6 out of top 10 games are Early Access...

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Awful. Knights of Pen & Paper did the same thing and left IAP in the game. Screw these guys.

Oh god, just looked at top seller's list... Is everyone and their dog buying Motor Rock to scalp it when it inevitably gets delisted?

Seems so, and as a result will probably be lucky to break even.

Card Boy

Banned

Also, why are so many people buying not Finnish games? O_O - 6 out of top 10 games are Early Access...

Unless i'm am missing something the game looks shit compared to Rock n Roll Racing and looks like an iOS game.

ss_18a420edd99589683f7e501cd66b6ae95e29bc71.1920x1080.jpg

ss_6746f491c917bcaf6f110a3c5edbc27231d78a22.1920x1080.jpg

Actually Rovio just produced the game on IOS, but 5Ant is the developer. Not sure if Rovio has anthing to do with the PC port

They are publishing on Steam.

JaseC

Guilty.

My response to the Tiny Thief devs in the forums there.
I don't usually complain about this stuff. I'm equal parts an avid IOS gamer and PC gamer, and I understand how hard it must be to sell a mobile title to a PC audience

But small graphical improvements and other adjustments is not equivalent to a change from $2.99 to $14.99. Because we're PC gamers, you expect us to pay more simply because it's a PC port? Without new content or gameplay additions to justify the shift in pricing? I buy a game for the gameplay; even if the art style is wonderful, which it is, gameplay comes first. And if there are no gameplay additions over the mobile versions, how could you justify an extra $11 over the same experience?

However someone there brought up a good point. The mobile market has really devalued the worth of quality games. I can't count how many games have had to go free or go on sale with a week to make for poor launch sales, and these aren't under the radar releases. I'm talking hyped and well-reviews games

So a 5 hour experience with a nice art style and animations is worth $9.99 (definitely not $15) but the mobile market has instilled this lowest common denominator ideal into the gaming audience

If you didn't know Tiny Thief was a mobile game that could be purchased for $3.99, would you consider the game in the same light or value?

Dr Dogg

I can't believe Rovio's name has come up several times on this page and no one has tried and shoehorned a Finnish gag in there somewhere. You guys are slipping.

Knurek

If you didn't know Tiny Thief was a mobile game that could be purchased for $3.99, would you consider the game in the same light or value?

$15 can get me Spelunky, Guacamelee, Rogue Legacy and hopefully Valdis Story during Winter Seal, and it has gotten me Skyrim during the Autumn Seal. So yeah, I definitely wouldn't even think about buying Tiny Thief at full price.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
$15 can get me Spelunky, Guacamelee, Rogue Legacy and hopefully Valdis Story during Winter Seal, and it has gotten me Skyrim during the Autumn Seal. So yeah, I definitely wouldn't even think about buying Tiny Thief at full price.

Or my horror lover alternative, it could get you Cold Fear, Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, and Cat Lady on sale (my Triple C Horror bundle suggestion for $15). Now what an item is worth is up to you, but I also believe they may be reaching in a little too deep here with Little Thief. I'm not saying they don't have the right to do so, but its also true any consumer has the right to choose not to buy it if they don't like the price.

I have my sneaking suspicion it'll be one of those games that'll be immediately on sale in a few days during the Winter Sale as well.

Anyone played Rust? Doubt I'll grab it given I just bought Day Z earlier today but it seems quite popular.

I have not played it, but my impression of the game is that its one of those survival games, if you like those, and it has multiplayer good times. And the game has a lot of caveman nudity. And airplanes.

Jawmuncher

I can now make the claim that I'm selling used condoms on Steam. I believe my day has been a success.

Very Few can claim that crown.

_______________________________----

If there's one thing I love about Humble Bundles it's that they plummet the price of cards for said game.

feel

I wonder if there's a main Humble Indie Bundle about to hit, they had one in the middle of December the past 3 years.

Caerith

Yeah, the "different markets" comment makes that clear, but I flicked through the Top Sellers list and the game is nowhere among the hundred titles, haha. Oops!
They're not wrong about these being different markets, but they don't seem to know what that means. This is a market where we get Toma threads. Is Tiny Thief 15x better than Full Bore ($1) or 7.5x better than One Way Heroics ($2)? If not, how can they justify pricing it as such? Or how about Long Live The Queen ($10)-- is Tiny Thief at least 50% better than it?

Or, if we look outside Steam and to PC gaming in general, how about The Witch's House ($0)? Is Tiny Thief infinitely better than a free game?

Seanspeed

Banned
However someone there brought up a good point. The mobile market has really devalued the worth of quality games. I can't count how many games have had to go free or go on sale with a week to make for poor launch sales, and these aren't under the radar releases. I'm talking hyped and well-reviews games

So a 5 hour experience with a nice art style and animations is worth $9.99 (definitely not $15) but the mobile market has instilled this lowest common denominator ideal into the gaming audience

That's kinda what I was thinking. Its not that they want to sell it that cheap on the mobile platform, but the expectations make it so that you basically *have* to if you want anyone to buy it. The PC price is more or less what they would like to sell it at in the first place.

Although I guess you could argue that they should just ignore mobile if they don't feel they're getting enough money from it.

Arthea

They're not wrong about these being different markets, but they don't seem to know what that means. This is a market where we get Toma threads. Is Tiny Thief 15x better than Full Bore ($1) or 7.5x better than One Way Heroics ($2)? If not, how can they justify pricing it as such? Or how about Long Live The Queen ($10)-- is Tiny Thief at least 50% better than it?

Or, if we look outside Steam and to PC gaming in general, how about The Witch's House ($0)? Is Tiny Thief infinitely better than a free game?

I've seen "different markets" argument used for pricing of console games (sometimes ridiculous, especially for digital versions), never thought I'll see it used for PC gaming too.
Kind of ironic, no?

Deques

Is it normal that expired coupon is still effective in the cart?

I added Valdis Story last week when I had a coupon for it. But not it has expired, but I can see still the discount in my cart

JaseC

Free maket, baby. What are you, some kind of commie?

Well, I am occasionally saddened by the fact that I missed the boat on Stalin vs Martians...

"Steam users buy anything, right? How can we lose!"

derExperte

My response to the Tiny Thief devs in the forums there.

I wrote something like that. One guy there said 1-3 bucks for 5-10 hours of entertainment is a good value and what it should be but I can't agree with that when we're talking about new games not on sale, that's an unreasonable expectation. I'm all for paying less money for anything but taking mobile games as a reference point is unfair. But as I wrote there too the jump is just too much, make it 10 bucks, slap a launch discount on it (see Velocity Ultra), provide a demo and you'll still have whining but I could defend that. 13,99€ without a demo? Come on.

SparkTR

It looks... competent. Which is way better than what I was expecting.

I've played it a bit, it looks and plays nice. The game is so much easier to control from the third-person perspective than isometric, but that kind of defeats the points of the game. It has a bunch of eastern-european jank like weird menus, no tutorials or information about what you should be doing, translation errors, and controls issues (360 analogue sticks are broken) but it's fun enough.

Anyone wondering why japanese devs still dont get Steam?

I mean, it seems MGR is releasing in maybe a month (?) or even earlier and there is no marketing for the PC-Version at all. We didnt even hear much from the version and only got two twitter news, one is Kojima showing some picture of the PC-version and one is the news we got a few days ago.

It just seems they really send it to die. Its kinda sad, that some Indiedevs can do better marketing than Konami...

Bahahahah! Oh my...

What sort of game is Dark Fall anyway?

One of those old-style point and click adventures similar to Myst. You have one "3d" Panorama, where you can look around and get the items. Similar to Big Fish Games.

Jawmuncher

Anyone wondering why japanese devs still dont get Steam?

I mean, it seems MGR is releasing in maybe a month (?) or even earlier and there is no marketing for the PC-Version at all. We didnt even hear much from the version and only got two twitter news, one is Kojima showing some picture of the PC-version and one is the news we got a few days ago.

It just seems they really send it to die. Its kinda sad, that some Indiedevs can do better marketing than Konami...

Yeah it sure is odd. Especially since most Japanese fair sells quite well on steam since it's so sparse. If PC got the same amount of Japanese titles consoles did. I wouldn't even need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom