• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

They reason I put so many people on ignore is because they will say something stupid or something I don't agree with, I call it out and get banned. Its hard to do but its working
barely

Makes me really wonder whose new account this is. Having so many people on ignore after two months and fearing the ban-hammer...

I use the ignore list but end up clicking on 'View Post' more often out of cruiosity than I would have read the comment if it wasn't hidden.

Dr Dogg

They reason I put so many people on ignore is because they will say something stupid or something I don't agree with, I call it out and get banned. Its hard to do but its working
barely

Oh dear lord. With that attitude you may as well get it out of the way and add me now.

Grief.exe

I nearly have 50 people on my ignore list, anybody who disagreed or quoted me goes on the shit list. its so peaceful without me seeing those idiots.

That is one way to deal with people who disagree with you. Just cover your ears and scream.

Makes me really wonder whose new account this is. Having so many people on ignore after two months and fearing the ban-hammer...

I use the ignore list but end up clicking on 'View Post' more often out of cruiosity than I would have read the comment if it wasn't hidden.

Implying derExperte is going to see this post.

Not sure where to post this. Is it old?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1t62jx/korean_government_looking_to_outright_block_steam/

http://www.gamemeca.com/news/view.php?gid=464096

Sorry for the lack of a translation, if someone has one and wants to post it I'll stick it in the OP. In short:

"Steam falls within the boundaries of 'content not domestically reviewed' and is therefore a site which does not conform to regulations as laid down by the Korea Communications Standards Commission. A spokesperson for the KCSC has stated that "it is definitely illegal that unreviewed games are being distributed" and "if it is a site which includes such data it is possible to block access according to official process."

It's all about censorship. They can't censor every foreign game that comes through, so they want to block the main channel through which foreign games enter the country. That and economic protectionism is still a common practice and what better way to eliminate the foreign competition.

There is also a lingering mentality leftover from the days when Korea was a military dictatorship that foreign culture is evil and it's influence needs to be kept in check (South Korea was a dictatorship until the 1980s). They would rather be able to pick and choose what comes into the country instead of that whole freedom nonsense. It's not like homogeneity and cultural isolationism are problems here...

I'm from germany and I buy my console games from UK because even some of the >=18 titles are still censored. Additionally, the only negative thing in Steam so far is that I have a german account the Steamstore is selling only the german versions of censored games. For example: I had to buy and UK steam key to get the uncensored Orange Box version (no sillygibs in TF2) and I own Dead Island which is banned in germany. Hence, I could download the game via VPN (which isn't legal, so I ain't doing it) or I could do it if I'm in holidays somewhere else.
Ok, but this is maybe not the point here. Blocking Steam just because they can't control every game...I don't like this idea.

The_Monk

If someone has no idea what to look for this Winter Sale regarding some discounts, then get hyped!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/45100/?snr=1_7_15__13

w2l60Pw.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251610/?snr=1_7_15__13

LDzDQLw.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/94000/?snr=1_7_15__13

wM1PrcX.jpg

HoosTrax

I nearly have 50 people on my ignore list, anybody who disagreed or quoted me goes on the shit list. its so peaceful without me seeing those idiots.
I wonder if there's a limit to the size allowed for the ignore list.
On a unrelated note, I feel like I haven't been around for ages (well, months, at least, since I've been busy with work and school). Steam thread is moving ridiculously fast these days. I think I have a bit of a backlog of games to catch up on...I guess Starbound should be somewhere on that list?

Eternia

A quick one with a couple of things I either forgot about or friends didn't want.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Eternia:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Majesty Gold HD -- MB-46877D42788953BB - Taken by Deques. 1 entrants total.
Critter Crunch -- MB-D94D7F9F731318C9 - Taken by Anteater. 7 entrants total.

t1387391223z1.png

Interfectum

Anyone who has 'quoted' you? So if someone quotes and agrees with you they still go on your coveted ignore list?

Cheddahz

Banned
we'll know where 30 of deadly premonition's votes for goty will come from tommorow amirite cheddahz and tnt

tumblr_m0mjo0lnWG1qz5r8lo1_400.gif

I actually didn't put it on my GOTY list. Not saying that I don't love the game (I do), I just haven't really had the time or motivation to play through it again right now and the launch for the game was terrible

I do recommend the game to everyone though

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. I don't even use my ignore list.

I just go "Phss, look at that bitch" and move on.

I don't think I've ever looked at it never mind use it. Anyway I would be severely disappointed if I didn't see you slaggin off Serious Sam and Borderlands 2 even if I do like the games myself :p

I actually didn't put it on my GOTY list. Not saying that I don't love the game (I do), I just haven't really had the time or motivation to play through it again right now and the launch for the game was terrible

I do recommend the game to everyone though

damn it
minimum votes are down to 20

you better not disappoint tnt

I hope the winter sale this year is better than last years. I remember it being somewhat upstaged by GMG discounts & codes.

Amazon upstaged Steam more than any other distributor, if I remember correctly. GMG usually just matches Steam sale prices but also offers a nice 20% voucher.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
wait dinner date might be pretty self indulgent but it doesn't deserve that shame dude :I

I argue it does, I had almost no fun playing the title. All I did for thirty minutes was wiggle my fingers around and dip bread in tomato soup.

Outside of that, its 30 minutes of listening to a guy talk about his terrible sex life.

Arthea

If someone has no idea what to look for this Winter Sale regarding some discounts, then get hyped!

I know you like your secret of the Magic Crystals and I understand why, but a game doesn't even run for me, what I find hilarious for some weird reason.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I hope the Groupees holiday bundle is one of the ones that lets you pick and choose games. I have most of those already, but would pick up Gateways and maybe 9.03m.

This is an interesting thing that I'd never heard of before, and I appreciate you going to the trouble of pointing it out..but it seems pretty expensive and still involves sticking foreign objects onto my eyeballs. I could probably force myself to get used to that, but right now even getting dilation drops during an eye exam is suuuuper stressful. (I'm also one of the approximately ten people on this Earth who thinks they look better with glasses than without, so...)

Amazon upstaged Steam more than any other distributor, if I remember correctly. GMG usually just matches Steam sale prices but also offers a nice 20% voucher.
Yeah, getting better deals from those sites should be an expectation at this point. Though I'm hoping that's not the case this time because that Amazon sale doesn't look so hot.

zkylon

zkylewd
I argue it does, I had almost no fun playing the title. All I did for thirty minutes was wiggle my fingers around and dip bread in tomato soup.

Outside of that, its 30 minutes of listening to a guy talk about his terrible sex life.
worst roguelike of that month for sure

It deserves it for the packet of Lambert's alone (top end of the low tier cigarettes here in the UK). Has to be Embassy No1 on a first date. Sheesh.
lol

but really honest I didn't really like the end result but it was an interesting effort (specially since it's some dude's first game) and it was dirt cheap so can't really judge it too harshly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom