• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

And I just got JC2 as a gift :(

I'm guessing the game will be back on Steam later, right? Right??

8SO07jB.gif

Yeah, we're just freaking out because the sale is coming. You'll get your game back.

Dr Dogg

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Steam Collecting culture (I'm an expert), but game count and dlc are huge parts of it. It's not like on consoles where you can become successful by having PS+ and Games with Gold. If you screw someone over on Steam, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Steam Community after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFVIII on the upcoming sale, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and gift everyone you entire catalogue for Steam or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Enco

We'll get Just Cause 2 back sooner or later but this is the worst part of digital games.

Helps make the case for GOG. If only they had a comparable interface to Steam. Who wants to download a load of exes?

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Steam Collecting culture (I'm an expert), but game count and dlc are huge parts of it. It's not like on consoles where you can become successful by having PS+ and Games with Gold. If you screw someone over on Steam, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Steam Community after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFVIII on the upcoming sale, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and gift everyone you entire catalogue for Steam or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I was waiting for that post.

I never tire of this meme.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
We'll get Just Cause 2 back sooner or later but this is the worst part of digital games.

Helps make the case for GOG. If only they had a comparable interface to Steam. Who wants to download a load of exes?

Fun fact, if you google image '.exe' looking for an appropriate image response, apparently the most popular thing searched for on Google Images involving .exe is the creepypasta Sonic.exe thing.

Copons

So, I finally started thinking seriously of building a new rig!

I already asked on the Build a new PC thread and got some good advices, but, you know... I don't trust anyone except you good people of SteamGAF!

So I'm just posting the build here to see if you have some other suggestions.

Links to Newegg just for language reasons; prices from various Italian stores (Amazon.it and eKey.it)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 Haswell 3.1/3.3GHz, 6MB L3 Cache (167.10€)
Motherboard: AsRock Z87 Pro3 (64.20€)
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 660 1006/1072MHz, GDDR5 2GB 6008MHz (151.20€)
RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Low Profile CML8GX3M2A1600C9B (69.30€)
Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Blue (50.20€)
Power Supply: 500W Corsair CX500M 80+ Bronze (61.30€)
Case: Cooler Master N400 (49.40€)
Total: 622.40€ (but it's actually way less, because I can reclaim 22% of Italian VAT)

My purposes right now, with super tight money, are: clear my backlog and build some good foundations for upgrading later, reason why I'm orienting on Haswell (it also, apparently, doesn't cost much more), and mostly stay on the cheapest.

I'd like to stick with Nvidia, and I made some comparisons between GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 660 and GTX 760, and apparently GTX 660 has the best fps/bucks ratio.

Thank you in advance! :)

Caerith

edit'd the post, the deal is live. $20 on Amazon now. Still no Steam page yet.
Edited the edit ^^

I don't think it makes the case for GOG after their "mischievous fun" when they pretended to shut down. Really it just makes the case for taking Square Enix out back and putting them out of our misery.

Seanspeed

Banned
Squeenix just removed the game for all people that have previously purchased it.
Enjoy a taste of how things will work out once EA inevitably buys out Valve.

Huh? I bought it just recently and its gone for me, too. I don't get it. They just took it away and want me to rebuy it or something?

Enco

Edited the edit ^^

I don't think it makes the case for GOG after their "mischievous fun" when they pretended to shut down. Really it just makes the case for taking Square Enix out back and putting them out of our misery.
What was that? Haven't heard of it before.

Caerith

What was that? Haven't heard of it before.

A couple years ago, GOG posted a "we're shutting down forever, sorry" notice and was down for... a couple days? A week? I forget. They were switching over to a new server and thought it would be funny to jerk the leash, I guess.

Of course, if you bring it up, most people will swear that GOG can do no wrong and chide you for not making backups of everything and keeping redundant DVD-Rs lying around. (Nevermind that if you were the type to keep backups of old games, you wouldn't need GOG in the first place.)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That GIF paired with the chorus line from the magnum opus of Was (Not Was) is still one of this years most amusing occurences. But the screen, and animation of the alien, in context was correct. The outrage against the game is more appropriately focused on the deception of customers and journalists Gearbox ran with the prerelease "gameplay" footage that had no relation to the final product.

The game itself is just another mediocre FPS that offers the same experience, and general quality issues, as an annual Call of Duty title.
Yeah I know, it's supposed to be a stealth section with blind aliens or something. Still, I don't feel like dedicating my time to a mediocre FPS right now :p

Enco

A couple years ago, GOG posted a "we're shutting down forever, sorry" notice and was down for... a couple days? A week? I forget. They were switching over to a new server and thought it would be funny to jerk the leash, I guess.

Of course, if you bring it up, most people will swear that GOG can do no wrong and chide you for not making backups of everything and keeping redundant DVD-Rs lying around. (Nevermind that if you were the type to keep backups of old games, you wouldn't need GOG in the first place.)
:lol that sounds pretty shitty.

I'm not a fan of buying old games for nostalgia but if I can get a DRM free version of a big title I want, I wouldn't say no.

Steam convenience trumps a standalone DRM free game though.

I'm not a fan of buying old games for nostalgia but if I can get a DRM free version of a big title I want, I wouldn't say no.

That's why I never buy modern titles on GOG.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hadn't heard about that. What happened after they removed it?

Edit since top of page:

Order of War: Challenge was added back to its own subs about a month ago but not re-added to the vanilla Order of War subs. So, in other words, some people got it back and others, who'd obtained the game by purchasing the original Order of War (like myself), didn't.

Dr Dogg

If you're not looking to overclock in the future looks fine by me. Don't know how much the price difference between a 4440 and a 4560k is but even at stock clocks to a 4.2hz I've noticed only a slight gain. Though who knows what the future holds.

One thing I'd change is the PSU as those Cosair CX Builder Series ones have given me nothing but trouble. You can get a Cooler Master GX 550w for the same money but looking at your setup you wouldn't need much over 400w so something like a Super Flower HX 450 would be pretty good. Despite the funny name they're bullet proof and make their own PSUs unlike most companies. Here's Johnny Guru's review, and he reviews about every PSU on the planet.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
For the sake of P* though...just buy it at full price if you can afford to.
What about our own sake? Who cares about us? Who will be there to help us when we've gone broke from buying so many full priced games? What is Platinum doing about us? Who is the Milkman? What's the purpose of the goggles?

Fun fact, if you google image '.exe' looking for an appropriate image response, apparently the most popular thing searched for on Google Images involving .exe is the creepypasta Sonic.exe thing.
What the hell is that supposed to be? I know about Tails Doll, but never heard about this thing.

Digoman

Time for me to return to neogaf/this thread just in time for the big sale.

Since the Just Cause 2 bug appears to be fixed, now I only need Steam to add the latest DLC for Assassin's Creed 4 to the Season Pass owners...

Also, anyone know if XCOM and SpecOps are region locked for South America? Can I gift them with no problems?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Yeah I know, it's supposed to be a stealth section with blind aliens or something. Still, I don't feel like dedicating my time to a mediocre FPS right now :p

Yep. Regardless of price, Aliens: CM isn't worth the time required to play it.

JakeD

Well, until a game disappears from your library, or offline mode fails on you. Humble widget + steam key is the way to go these days.

Since the Just Cause 2 bug appears to be fixed, now I only need Steam to add the latest DLC for Assassin's Creed 4 to the Season Pass owners...

Also, anyone know if XCOM and SpecOps are region locked for South America? Can I gift them with no problems?
steamdb.info is your friend.

Caerith

So, I finally started thinking seriously of building a new rig!
It's been a while since I've had to know anything about hardware, but a few questions come to mind. For the CPU, do i5s still have K variants that are unlocked? And is 500W enough power? I remember reading that you want a PSU with more power than you need, and enough more that your PSU doesn't risk being worn out ahead of its time.

Order of War: Challenge was added back to its own subs about a month ago but not re-added to the vanilla Order of War subs. So, in other words, some people got it back and others, who'd obtained the game by purchasing the original Order of War (like myself), didn't.
That's pretty shitty. There's no way you could get Challenge back?

JaseC

Only in Russia.

That's pretty shitty. There's no way you could get Challenge back?

I've been meaning to e-mail Squeenix and ask about the game being re-added to the remaining subs.

derExperte

It's been a while since I've had to know anything about hardware, but a few questions come to mind. For the CPU, do i5s still have K variants that are unlocked? And is 500W enough power? I remember reading that you want a PSU with more power than you need, and enough more that your PSU doesn't risk being worn out ahead of its time.

500W is plenty for your average gaming PC that'll use maybe 300W under load.

And there's an i5-4670K.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

That was an incredibly stupid publicity stunt; they apologized for it. CD Projekt RED basically dismissed the stunt when the "closure" was announced.

You have more sense than everyone who knowingly bought it after the game content was revealed.

BBboy20

What about our own sake? Who cares about us? Who will be there to help us when we've gone broke from buying so many full priced games? What is Platinum doing about us? Who is the Milkman? What's the purpose of the goggles?
Platinum is the only thing I know that is real.

Carm

Yea, Just Cause 2+DLC is back, but they messed something else up. I now have that stupid mutiplayer mod listed on my account yet I never even looked at the page for it.

derExperte

Not sure, sorry, but you can pay with paypal so you should be able to purchase from USA even if you need to make a fake account address.

They could still block that. And I think they actually do because I remember trying for something. Of course there's always the possibility of some EU GAFer helping. Or waiting for ModBot giveaways because everyone owns the games already. ;)

Caerith

500W is plenty for your average gaming PC that'll use maybe 300W under load.
That's pretty much my concern, so looks like he's fine. (I have 750W because, for whatever reason, it cost as much as 500W did when I bought it.)

That was an incredibly stupid publicity stunt they apologized for it. CD Projekt RED basically dismissed the stunt when the "closure" was announced.
Yeah, I'm not concerned with GOG doing that again, but it was sobering enough that I never used GOG like I use Steam (ie, buying stuff I'll never play).

Enco

Well, until a game disappears from your library, or offline mode fails on you. Humble widget + steam key is the way to go these days.
That's definitely the way to go.

If I can get both a steam key AND DRM free version I wont hesitate. Even if I have to pay a tiny bit more.

derExperte

JaseC

Spindoctor received a response from GamersGate regarding the lack of Fuel keys since the sale more than a week ago now and it strongly suggests that GFWL is being removed:

spin: Answer from Gamersgate support :

Unfortunately, the publisher decided to not hand out more keys for this game until they [make] some changes to it. There is no timeline for when these changes will be complete. I can issue an immediate full refund in blue coins.

Theory: The new keys are going to activate this app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom