• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Planning on buying these on the Amazon sale:

12/19/2013 to 12/20/2013 London 2012 - $1.99
12/19/2013 to 1/3/2014 XCOM: Enemy Within - $19.99
12/24/2013 to 12/26/2013 Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition - $19.99
12/24/2013 to 12/26/2013 LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - $11.99

Volcynika

I'm getting eye surgery tomorrow morning (vision fixed), which will be a few thousand dollars. Forgive me Gaben, I'm not sure how much of my wallet will be open for this sale ;_;

Jawmuncher

It'll be the daily deal today. I still can't believe they are going to do something so smart.

The 33% discount is valid for two days so it could very well be a Daily even though it's a pre-order. Amazon's page went live earlier so the game will definitely go up on the store today regardless.

Oooooh...EXCELLENT
Got a big title I can use my Steam Credit on.
Also a daily deal today? Man that's just to smart. Getting MGSV and MGS1 and 2 on PC might soon be a reality. Since this has all the moves to be successful.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I doubt that's true if you have a modern high quality PSU. My 550W cost over 100€ and as very high efficiency rating. Paying more for more W would have been a waste.

80% (the usual "high" rating nowadays, Gold) for a 550W PSU is 440W. You can easily achieve that. Higher Rated (Silver) PSUs are usually more expensive than buying a 80% PSU that has a higher capacity, at least down here where I live: A 550W Silver Rated PSU is more expensive than a 750W Gold rated PSU. Since we're going to be using 300-400W of that PSU (or even more, depending on your setup) I personally don't see a problem if you buy the 750W rated one. (I do live in Brazil and I really should be used as a model for this conversation).

I still do like to believe that higher rated PSUs are better overall. Just do some price comparisons before. Of course this is a entire different math problem if you do SLI or CrossFire.

Edit: The brand of your PSU is more important than any of this anyway. Don't buy some shitty 720W PSU because they're cheaper than the good 500W one. But that's a discussion for another thread.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Anyone have the post with the voting instructions? And a list with what's come out this year as I'm horrible with dates.
Instructions. As for a list...the only one that's been posted is just paging through the store from here (December) to here (January).

...It'd probably be most efficient to look at your store transactions for 2013, then search for your favorites to ensure they were released this year.
EDIT for an important thing that you might already know: I explicitly mean "search" rather than simply going to the store page, because the search page actually has the date of Steam release. Consider YDKJ: store page has September 1995, search has November 2013.

For the instructions: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93050866&postcount=9726

For what's come out this year... maybe just go to your account details, see what you added this year?

Instructions. As for a list...the only one that's been posted is just paging through the store from here (December) to here (January).

...It'd probably be most efficient to look at your store transactions for 2013, then search for your favorites to ensure they were released this year.

Thanks! I always forget when things come out.

derExperte

80% (the usual "high" rating nowadays, Gold) for a 550W PSU is 440W.

My PSU reaches over 90% at 60% load and the good ones have a big buffer, 550W are conservative anyway, someone could probably sell that thing as a 650W unit. So if I would've bought a PSU with more W I would get a decrease in efficiency as my PC uses 250-300W at max and much less most of the time (many people completely overestimate what their PC needs). It's not a huge issue but
A 750W CPU using 300W gives a better, more stable energy to the components and wastes less energy
is measurably wrong, the opposite is true if you go too far above what you really need.

bequiet_p10-550w_effizienz.png

PS Gold > Silver http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

Deques

I'd wager the ones being sent to developers weren't part of the 300 Valve had earmarked for users.

These are obviously separate and I have yet to see someone from the media receive one.

iFixit got one too https://twitter.com/iFixit/status/413471621463437312 First time hearing about them, seems like a good idea sending one for this kind of site.

It just felt like all those 300 machines were sent to the devs.

Lol, dafuq, Amazon? Xcom: EW costs 19,99$ alone, but the pack with EU and EW costs also 19,99$. :p

Amazon has very strange prices on bundles and individual games

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
What the hell, I posted again instead of editing my earlier post. I am so tired right now, ugh.

Caerith

I'm getting eye surgery tomorrow morning (vision fixed), which will be a few thousand dollars. Forgive me Gaben, I'm not sure how much of my wallet will be open for this sale ;_;

Speedy recovery, Volcynika. Save your money for when SEGA-Atlus adds Sati to Sonic Racing.

Jawmuncher

Best of luck. Though I bet gaben appreciates any dollar amount added to the pool.
Y's

Derrick01

Banned
I want to buy EU4 from Amazon now but I'm nervous there may be a small chance Valve beats it today. Either way I can't wait to get to it today, hopefully it's as good as CK2 was so I can complete my goty list.

milena87

So, you already have it, or you'll get steam code on release day?

No, I'll get it on/near release and I'll also get the future games when they release :)
Not sure if it's a Steam code, though. I'll have to check that.

Anyway, here's a little giveaway for Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Brothers -- MB-23F9725C89A74D99

t1387472313z1.png

Jawmuncher

Nothing gets me more hyped for a Steam Sale than the Attack on Gaben video.
It just works on so many levels. Hoping this sale will be the best one yet.
I've yet to have a truly wonderful sale. Even when I got into PC gaming at the end of last year I did a lot of purchases on amazon and the like for steam keys. A meta game alone will solve that.

Deques

No, I'll get it on/near release and I'll also get the future games when they release :)

Are you sure it's Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons? The logo is Two Brothers which is a different game

drizzle

Axel Hertz
My PSU reaches over 90% at 60% load and the good ones have a big buffer, 550W are conservative anyway, someone could probably sell that thing as a 650W unit. So if I would've bought a PSU with more W I would get a decrease in efficiency as my PC uses 250-300W at max and much less most of the time (many people completely overestimate what their PC needs). It's not a huge issue but is measurably wrong, the opposite is true if you go too far above what you really need.

You're right: I went a little overboard on those comparisons. A better scenario would be 400W at either 500W PSU or 660W PSU. Still, even then, it's a case by case scenario., deppebnding on the PSU power usage curve. Personally, I rather go a little overboard than step back when making PSU decisions, but I've always been like this.

Also, I'm too lazy to do proper research and get a proper number to make that decision, so I just look what is the commonly suggested option and try to go a little above it.

I meant Diamond or whatever comes after Gold. I forget.

What I really wish I could get easier access to is those Kill-a-Watt things that measures and reports how much things plugged on your outlet are using. That way, I could plan accordingly on PSU upgrades.

Better yet, I wish newer PSUs would report the power usage, just as they report temperature. That would be a great addition.

Jawmuncher

Are you sure it's Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons? The logo is Two Brothers which is a different game

Probably just grabbed the wrong image. Dwarfs did that if you spelled it Dwarves when people were giving it away.

________________________________________________________________________--

GOG special deal was Deadly Premonition for 60% off at 9.99
I think we'll be seeing that price on the Steam Sale.

milena87

Yeah, not sure why the logo is not the right one, I just bought the game from Amazon.com, though.
So unless something went very very wrong with my purchase, I'm pretty sure the code is for Brothers a Tale of two Sons :)

Dr Dogg

looks like I'm not going to be around much today. I have to train people.

such a drag.

One word solution.

Webinar

It's what all the big(ger) companies are doing now for there training. That way you can still be chilling at home in your civvies, just as long as you look presentable on the top half and still catch the sale.

What I really wish I could get easier access to is those Kill-a-Watt things that measures and reports how much things plugged on your outlet are using. That way, I could plan accordingly on PSU upgrades.

Better yet, I wish newer PSUs would report the power usage, just as they report temperature. That would be a great addition.

Over here you can get a pass through that reads the load from the wall (amp, volts, watts ect) for about £5. Accurate to -+ 0.5. Surprised that there's nothing like that in Brazil. I wonder how much you'd get charged in import tax for a tiny electrical device?

derExperte

You're right: I went a little overboard on those comparisons. A better scenario would be 400W at either 500W PSU or 660W PSU. Still, even then, it's a case by case scenario., deppebnding on the PSU power usage curve. Personally, I rather go a little overboard than step back when making PSU decisions, but I've always been like this.

I meant Diamond or whatever comes after Gold. I forget.

Platinum is next but at that point the prices increase unreasonably, not worth it.

And I guess the 'more->better' thinking comes from the Pentium era where every new CPU needed more power, it got ridiculous for a while. Also I can remember a time when graphics cards didn't even clock down while idle drawing huge amounts of power, what a waste. Thank god we've advanced beyond that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Big mistake, you should have used one of the .8% Surgeon Simulator 2012 players who are A+ certified surgeons to do your operation for way less.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Over here you can get a pass through that reads the load from the wall (amp, volts, watts ect) for about £5. Accurate to -+ 0.5. Surprised that there's nothing like that in Brazil. I wonder how much you'd get charged in import tax for a tiny electrical device?

If sent properly, not at all. If you know how, you can avoid most import taxes on small stuff.

However, I live in a 220v city, so that would probably be a problem. Also, the plugs are different (not really on my computer, as I have a power strip and an american power cable running from the PSU, but every other piece of equipment in the house uses a different, proprietary Brazilian plug, which is compatible with the 2 pronged EURO International plug), so I guess that would also be a problem.

I never looked into it, because the Kill-a-watts are usually 40 bucks, 127volts and different plugs. Also, I'm not buying cheap Chinese knockoff power measuring devices that have poorly soldered different plugs (which I would have to use adapters for). :D

Sarcasm

Which kind? My wife just got it doen a month or so ago. She had HORRIBLE sight. Now..near perfect. Life Quality for her ++

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This is like a Twilight Zone episode.

You'll finally be able to see the deals... but you won't be able to afford them!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Haha thanks! But to be honest, the currency exchange tax we have here in this shithole of a country went up a few weeks ago, and that's basically the gist of it all: I'm being cheap as fuck!

I thought the EU FFT was killed due to resistance from the UK and former eastern bloc members? I'm pretty sure small transactions are still exempt regardless. Or are you talking about a local initiative? Because Sweden found out the hard way that domestic initiatives have unwanted negative effects.

Nice giveaway!

The_Monk

Hey guys did I miss anything during the night?

Aside from Woodcutter Simulator 2013 being released? Anyone already cutting some lumber? (aside from Jase) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom