• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

That's pretty much my concern, so looks like he's fine. (I have 750W because, for whatever reason, it cost as much as 500W did when I bought it.

Way back when that made a lot of sense as you had manufactures selling 600, 800w power supplies that would barely give 2 thirds of that. Now with unified efficiency ratings you'll find even at the lower end of the market they manage 80% of the quoted power output.

As an example a 4770k with a Titan both at stock would draw around 85w from the wall at idle and around 400-450w max under full load in the most taxing situation possible.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The technical term for a DRM-free version is "orphan."

captain20america20undcssbj.gif

derExperte

Spindoctor received a response from GamersGate regarding the lack of Fuel keys since the sale more than a week ago now and it strongly suggests that GFWL is being removed:

Oh, good to know that I can stop checking GG.

As an example a 4770k with a Titan both at stock would draw around 85w from the wall at idle and around 400-450w max under full load in the most taxing situation possible.

Yeah, for the benchmarks I posted a link to they used a 4770K@4.4GHz and with a Titan the system uses barely more than 300W in Crysis 3. A 290X at it's limit needs more but if you're spending that much for a card there's a good chance you're not looking to save money while buying a PSU anyway.

Forget about being the president of SEGA, go to SE instead.

Take the trip anyway and instead of heading to Squeenix you can engage in a hostile takeover of Sega. ;)

I dont have the same affection for SE as I have for SEGA. The day SE goes bankrupt guess who will buy them and turn all of tgem japanese ip's in pachinko machines if they aren't already? xD

============

The aGoT mod fits very well in CKII, my character had good traits everyone liked him and was an excellent commander but once his wife cheated on him and got pregnant from her lover everything started going diwnhill. I decided to imprisioner the guy but yet somehow she was seen kissing him in public(?). I divorced and exiled her and got hit with negative opinion of her family. :(

I started another game and this time my character is a bad commander and almost everyone hates me because of his traits, and one of my sons was born with dumb (-8 in all attibutes)

Digoman

Hopefully I didn't screw this up and can save someone a couple of bucks in the sale.

These are steam gift URLs.

If you win XCOM, I also have the to small DLC (Slingshot and Elite Soldier) to send you via PM.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Spec Ops The Line -- MB-2AE8697F2FDDD4E6 - Taken by mannerbot. 9 entrants total.
XCOM Enemy Unknown -- MB-496812CBF0318234 - Taken by kadab. 15 entrants total.

t1387458993z1.png

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure, sorry, but you can pay with paypal so you should be able to purchase from USA even if you need to make a fake account address.

No love for Asia either?

Yeah, I'm not concerned with GOG doing that again, but it was sobering enough that I never used GOG like I use Steam (ie, buying stuff I'll never play).

Ah.

Oh, good to know that I can stop checking GG.

IndieGala is still selling FUEL keys.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You have more sense than everyone who knowingly bought it after the game content was revealed.
Haha thanks! But to be honest, the currency exchange tax we have here in this shithole of a country went up a few weeks ago, and that's basically the gist of it all: I'm being cheap as fuck!

JaseC

Hopefully I didn't screw this up and can save someone a couple of bucks in the sale.

These are steam gift URLs.

If you win XCOM, I also have the to small DLC (Slingshot and Elite Soldier) to send you via PM.

For future reference, you can attach multiple keys to the same game and ModBot will distribute them just the same as it would a single key. So, for example, if you wanted to give away XCOM and DLC, you'd put:

XCOM plus DLC: ABCDE-12345-ABCDE-12345 FGHIJ-67890-FGHIJ-67890

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Just a couple of hours left to vote for this years best games on steam guys

Rogue Legacy ftw!

Dr Dogg

Yeah, for the benchmarks I posted a link to they used a 4770K@4.4GHz and with a Titan the system uses barely more than 300W in Crysis 3. A 290X at it's limit needs more but if you're spending that much for a card there's a good chance you're not looking to save money while buying a PSU anyway.

Yeah in Metro LL which like Crysis 3 uses every part of the CPU and GPU you've got I don't get much over 350w on a slight overclocked 4670k and 780. What's even more comforting is AC IV uses only slightly more than than a PS4 with everything dialed up.

Unless your doing any serious rendering, compute or folding like process you'll never really hit the limits of what your motherboard and GPU take. I think we all pay now for efficiency and reliability like you say. I leave my PC on 20 hours of the day so I don't want a £20 grinder in there.

Digoman

For future reference, you can attach multiple keys to the same game and ModBot will distribute them just the same as it would a single key. So, for example, if you wanted to give away XCOM and DLC, you'd put:

XCOM plus DLC: ABCDE-12345-ABCDE-12345 FGHIJ-67890-FGHIJ-67890

I was worried about the line size because those are URLs and not keys... don't know if Neogaf or Modbot has a line length limit.

Danj

Asscrud 4 for PS3 is on sale on Euro PSN at the moment. With the PS+ discount and the PS4 upgrade it would work out to £27.99, should I get it or will it go that low on PC in the Steam sale?

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Humble widget + steam key is the way to go these days.
I used to beat this drum too, but Humble having direct downloads isn't a guarantee anymore. Almost picked up The Bridge during their fall sale but before pulling the trigger I found out you only get a Steam key. (...Really?)

Last night I picked up the sub-$6 tier of the Humble Weekly and the only standalone games were Zeno Clash 1 & 2. Granted, those were the only games in the bundle that I'm actually interested in but ugggghhhh. I'm pretty bitter about the shift!

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
How does Blood Dragon compare to Far Cry 3 performance-wise?
If I get 50fps average with some settings in Blood Dragon, should I do about the same in Far Cry 3?

Dr Dogg

Asscrud 4 for PS3 is on sale on Euro PSN at the moment. With the PS+ discount and the PS4 upgrade it would work out to £27.99, should I get it or will it go that low on PC in the Steam sale?

Jase is your goto there with regards to what price (if he hasn't beaten me to posting that already) but I think AC III was a maximum of 15% off during last winders deal and was not on offer except a daily. So £39.99 -15% is a realistic expectation at best.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
That's pretty much my concern, so looks like he's fine. (I have 750W because, for whatever reason, it cost as much as 500W did when I bought it.

It's still a good idea: A 750W CPU using 300W gives a better, more stable energy to the components and wastes less energy to do it than a 500W using 300W.

And, if you have a passively cooled Smart one, it might not even turn on the fan.

JakeD

I used to beat this drum too, but Humble having direct downloads isn't a guarantee anymore. Almost picked up The Bridge during their fall sale but before pulling the trigger I found out you only get a Steam key. (...Really?)

Last night I picked up the sub-$6 tier of the Humble Weekly and the only standalone games were Zeno Clash 1 & 2. Granted, those were the only games in the bundle that I'm actually interested in but ugggghhhh. I'm pretty bitter about the shift!

this is true, but as far as i know, if humble doesn't include a DRM free version, then a DRM free version doesnt exist.

Milamber

It's still a good idea: A 750W CPU using 300W gives a better, more stable energy to the components and wastes less energy to do it than a 500W using 300W.

And, if you have a passively cooled Smart one, it might not even turn on the fan.

And people in the PC build thread were telling me that 800W is overkill for a GTX770 and 6 hard drives. Well, I showed them!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
And people in the PC build thread were telling me that 800W is overkill for a GTX770 and 5 hard drives.

Well, it is. There are benefits to it and it makes a difference price wise. It's still better to have a higher rated PSU giving out less energy. Sometimes, the price is not worth it.

Caerith

Anyone have the post with the voting instructions? And a list with what's come out this year as I'm horrible with dates.
For the instructions: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93050866&postcount=9726

For what's come out this year... maybe just go to your account details, see what you added this year?

And people in the PC build thread were telling me that 800W is overkill for a GTX770 and 5 hard drives. Well, i showed them!
Since when is overkill a bad thing?

Jawmuncher

January 9th for MGR? Not bad even if I can't play it until later in the summer.
Hmmm wonder when the Steam Page will go up. I've heard the 19.99 price is supposed to be a preorder offer on steam as well. It's the only thing holding me from buying it on amazon.

How does Blood Dragon compare to Far Cry 3 performance-wise?
If I get 50fps average with some settings in Blood Dragon, should I do about the same in Far Cry 3?

For me, Far Cry 3 runs worse than Blood Dragon (on very high/ultra settings). The difference isn't huge, but there's definitely a difference.

JaseC

Hmmm wonder when the Steam Page will go up. I've heard the 19.99 price is supposed to be a preorder offer on steam as well. It's the only thing holding me from buying it on amazon.

The 33% discount is valid for two days so it could very well be a Daily even though it's a pre-order. Amazon's page went live earlier so the game will definitely go up on the store today regardless.

derExperte

I doubt that's true if you have a modern high quality PSU. My 550W cost over 100€ and as very high efficiency rating. Paying more for more W would have been a waste.

edit: Afair there's actually a range where the PSU works best efficiency-wise, so going extremely overboard can be counterproductive. 750W for 300W isn't a good idea at all.

Nabs

It'll be the daily deal today. I still can't believe they are going to do something so smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom