• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

It sent properly, not at all. If you know how, you can avoid most import taxes on small stuff.

However, I live in a 220v city, so that would probably be a problem. Also, the plugs are different (not really on my computer, as I have a power strip and an american power cable running from the PSU, but every other piece of equipment in the house uses a different, proprietary Brazilian plug, which is compatible with the 2 pronged EURO International plug), so I guess that would also be a problem.

I never looked into it, because the Kill-a-watts are usually 40 bucks, 127volts and different plugs. Also, I'm not buying cheap Chinese knockoff power measuring devices that have poorly soldered different plugs (which I would have to use adapters for). :D

Yeah plugs was the only reasoning I could think of. UK ISO standards are 220-240v so the hardware will exist and there's pleanty of European countries in and around that range.

The one I've got is rated to work as low as 120v and read as low as 5w. I'll find out the make when I get back and see if they doing anything that will work for you. Has been a handy piece of kit for just working out costs of bills alone.

Caerith

I'll settle for Jack Frost at least!
Gotta hee-ho fast!

Platinum is next but at that point the prices increase unreasonably, not worth it.

And I guess the 'more->better' thinking comes from the Pentium era where every new CPU needed more power, it got ridiculous for a while. Also I can remember a time when graphics cards didn't even clock down while idle drawing huge amounts of power, what a waste. Thank god we've advanced beyond that.
For me, the "more is better" on a PSU comes down to heat and wear. My 750W (Bronze) is never going to have to work very hard, meaning it stays cool and is less likely to up and die on me unless I decide to SLI later on. But, still, the deciding factor in me getting 750W instead of 500W is that it didn't cost extra. Everything else being equal, more is better.

Volcynika

Big mistake, you should have used one of the .8% Surgeon Simulator 2012 players who are A+ certified surgeons to do your operation for way less.

Yeah, regretting not thinking of that earlier. I could've saved so much money! :(

Which kind? My wife just got it doen a month or so ago. She had HORRIBLE sight. Now..near perfect. Life Quality for her ++

PRK. Can't get lasiks due to my extreme near-sightedness (the doctor said I was as blind as a bat, so I trust his judgement).

This is like a Twilight Zone episode.

You'll finally be able to see the deals... but you won't be able to afford them!

Nooooooooooooo :(

Gotta hee-ho fast!

Yessssssss

Derrick01

Banned
Hey guys did I miss anything during the night?

Aside from Woodcutter Simulator 2013 being released? Anyone already cutting some lumber? (aside from Jase) :p

Woodcutter simulator you say? This is a real thing and not a joke?

*looks*

Holy shit it is a real thing. And I suddenly have a strange urge to try it out. Damn you simulators!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yeah plugs was the only reasoning I could think of. UK ISO standards are 220-240v so the hardware will exist and there's pleanty of European countries in and around that range.

The one I've got is rated to work as low as 120v and read as low as 5w. I'll find out the make when I get back and see if they doing anything that will work for you. Has been a handy piece of kit for just working out costs of bills alone.

If there's a cord, there's nothing preventing me from cutting the plugs and soldering new ones in. Unless it's a block device that plugs directly into the wall and receives a cable (which is how those devices usually are). I'm just too lazy to do it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I was looking through my achievement stats to figure out what games I want to work on bringing up to 100% and I settled upon Bioshock Infinite. I beat it on hard on release, but I need to do do all the collectable related stuff and I don't feel like doing it on 1999 mode so I think I'll go for an easy 2.35 art appreciation run:

8870_2013-12-19_00001gvej8.png

8870_2013-12-19_00002p5czt.png

Damn those gun models are huge in the relaxed postion lol.

Hey guys did I miss anything during the night?

Aside from Woodcutter Simulator 2013 being released? Anyone already cutting some lumber? (aside from Jase) :p

MGR:R will be released for pre-order on Steam today. Pretty confident it will be a daily deal with a special $20 tag. Releases Jan.9th.

Steam doesn't have the store page up (will be up during turnover), but Amazon has their page up.

The_Monk

Woodcutter simulator you say? This is a real thing and not a joke?

*looks*

Holy shit it is a real thing. And I suddenly have a strange urge to try it out. Damn you simulators!

I'm very sorry for making such temptations on you. Perhaps it's for the best. It's getting cold so you can always warm up cutting some wood. Would you?

First thing you must do if you get this game? Easy:

MGR:R will be released for pre-order on Steam today. Pretty confident it will be a daily deal with a special $20 tag. Releases Jan.9th.

Steam doesn't have the store page up (will be up during turnover), but Amazon has their page up.

Thank you good sir. -Did not said my Wallet to you.

This is the worst time for such temptation with the sale coming. HNNG.

Copons

If you're not looking to overclock in the future looks fine by me. Don't know how much the price difference between a 4440 and a 4560k is but even at stock clocks to a 4.2hz I've noticed only a slight gain. Though who knows what the future holds.

One thing I'd change is the PSU as those Cosair CX Builder Series ones have given me nothing but trouble. You can get a Cooler Master GX 550w for the same money but looking at your setup you wouldn't need much over 400w so something like a Super Flower HX 450 would be pretty good. Despite the funny name they're bullet proof and make their own PSUs unlike most companies. Here's Johnny Guru's review, and he reviews about every PSU on the planet.

I'm not looking to overclock, at least ATM, as I don't even know how to do it. :D

As per PSU: I started with a Corsair CX430M (as suggested by Hazaro builds in his thread), but then people started telling that it was too low, so I went up to the (obvious) next step.
About the Cooler Master GX 500W, it costs about 10€ more, so it shouldn't hurt that much.

One thing I'm noticing, in my complete ignorance, is that everything has its own connection type and I'm honestly stuck trying to understand if the motherboard I picked is compatible with PSU (also, on AsRock product page, there is a list of supported RAMs, which doesn't include the one I picked, but I assume that list isn't complete at all, is it?).

PSU says that it's "ATX12V v 2.3 and EPS version 2.91 compliant" with the following connectors:
20+4 Pin MB x 1
4+4 Pin CPU 12V x 1
6+2 Pin PCI x 2
SATA x 6
4 Pin Peripherial x 3
4 Pin Floppy x 1

Motherboard instead:
1 x IR header
1 x COM Port header
1 x Power LED header
2 x CPU Fan connectors (1 x 4-pin, 1 x 3-pin)
2 x Chassis Fan connectors (2 x 4-pin)
1 x Power Fan connector (3-pin)
1 x 24 pin ATX power connector
1 x 8 pin 12V power connector
1 x Front panel audio connector
1 x SPDIF Out connector

Are the one I highlighted what I'll actually need to pair?
And also, "20+4 pin" = "24 pin" and "4+4 pin" = "8 pin"?

God I feel dumb. :'(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oooooh...EXCELLENT
Got a big title I can use my Steam Credit on.
Also a daily deal today? Man that's just to smart. Getting MGSV and MGS1 and 2 on PC might soon be a reality. Since this has all the moves to be successful.
MGS1 and 2 are already on PC. It's true that the MGS2 port is an abomination of nature, but I found out earlier this year that it's perfectly playable with a PS1 controller.

JakeD

i dunno, getting woodcutter simulator 13 seems like a poor investment at this point considering '14 is right around the corner (it will have expanded wood types and woodcutting devices)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the EU FFT was killed due to resistance from the UK and former eastern bloc members? I'm pretty sure small transactions are still exempt regardless. Or are you talking about a local initiative? Because Sweden found out the hard way that domestic initiatives have unwanted negative effects.
I live in Argentina :(

35% tax for any financial operation in foreign currency. That includes buying said currency, and funnily (but not really surprisingly) buying plane tickets, even if you pay them in our local currency. It was 20% when the Autumn Seal ended a few weeks ago.

Jawmuncher

MGS1 and 2 are already on PC. It's true that the MGS2 port is an abomination of nature, but I found out earlier this year that it's perfectly playable with a PS1 controller.

True but I meant fixed rereleases on Steam.

LOL great.

Stump post your reviews of the game + DLC and get people sickly curious enough to spend the 2$ lol.

Unlike DNF on GAF it seems like i'm the only one defending A:CM even in the slightest.

The_Monk

Stump post your reviews of the game + DLC and get people sickly curious enough to spend the 2$ lol.

That's the post I have in mind and I remember you also talking about the DLC that you played too. Hence why I'm thinking if I should get it or not...

On a side note I tried Aliens VS Predator recently and it was not a nice experience but maybe that's because I was sick because of the camera angles (was playing as Alien).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The desire for matching color scheme was overwhelming once I added the XCOM Bureau achievement to my showcase. I was stretching a bit to get worthwhile achievements that hit my color requirements by the end lol:

showcase9juc0.jpg

derExperte

A user review says that they improved the alien ai signficantly with the huge patch. Is that true? The story will forever be an insult to fans but if the gameplay got better the game might barely be worth the price.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
With a K series processor, you overclock by clicking a button. It's really foolproof these days.

I have a terrible luck with overclocking. I don't know if it's because I live in a hot country, but every time I tried to overclock any device I own, it becomes a unstable mess.

My QX6700 ran overclocked for most of it's life, but it was always too unstable/overheating all the time. It was an expensive processor, so I wanted to keep it alive on a secondary computer. However, it's no longer usable, even at stock speeds. It locks up and throws up errors every 15 minutes. I've replaced every single part of that computer, but that CPU is toast.

Every "superclock" (In other words, factory-overclocked) videocard I ever bought fried itself after 6-8 months.

My RaspberryPi, which has a built-in overclock feature, which you trigger via software, goes into a bootloop if I overclock it even the slightest.

I'm not taking chances with my i7 2600k. I bought a K because it was as expensive as the regular version, but I'm never touching it's multipliers.

Jawmuncher

That's the post I have in mind and I remember you also talking about the DLC that you played too. Hence why I'm thinking if I should get it or not...

On a side note I tried Aliens VS Predator recently and it was not a nice experience but maybe that's because I was sick because of the camera angles (was playing as Alien).

Actually thinking about it I believe I just have a soft spot for Aliens and or Predators.
Because I enjoyed AVP immensely as well. Which most people dislike though not nearly as much as A:CM.

Jawmuncher

A user review says that they improved the alien ai signficantly with the huge patch. Is that true? The story will forever be an insult to fans but if the gameplay got better the game might barely be worth the price.

Oh yeah the story is still balls. But the AI from my playthrough was fine.
No craziness like we saw in earlier A:CM threads. Also unlike Stump I had no issues with the final boss. Though I might have just gotten lucky.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Apparently I have a 21% average game completion rate. That sounds high considering the amount of titles I've sunk only some time into only to drop later for one reason or another.

The_Monk

Actually thinking about it I believe I just have a soft spot for Aliens and or Predators.
Because I enjoyed AVP immensely as well. Which most people dislike though not nearly as much as A:CM.

I like both worlds for their first movies which were made about 20 years ago. Still have a soft spot for them in my heart. But I got a little dizzy playing the Alien Campaign... will give it another go.

This and Dino Crisis... I'm liking your tastes fellow GAFfer! :)

I'm not looking to overclock, at least ATM, as I don't even know how to do it. :D

As per PSU: I started with a Corsair CX430M (as suggested by Hazaro builds in his thread), but then people started telling that it was too low, so I went up to the (obvious) next step.
About the Cooler Master GX 500W, it costs about 10€ more, so it shouldn't hurt that much.

One thing I'm noticing, in my complete ignorance, is that everything has its own connection type and I'm honestly stuck trying to understand if the motherboard I picked is compatible with PSU (also, on AsRock product page, there is a list of supported RAMs, which doesn't include the one I picked, but I assume that list isn't complete at all, is it?).

PSU says that it's "ATX12V v 2.3 and EPS version 2.91 compliant" with the following connectors:
20+4 Pin MB x 1
4+4 Pin CPU 12V x 1
6+2 Pin PCI x 2
SATA x 6
4 Pin Peripherial x 3
4 Pin Floppy x 1

Motherboard instead:
1 x IR header
1 x COM Port header
1 x Power LED header
2 x CPU Fan connectors (1 x 4-pin, 1 x 3-pin)
2 x Chassis Fan connectors (2 x 4-pin)
1 x Power Fan connector (3-pin)
1 x 24 pin ATX power connector
1 x 8 pin 12V power connector
1 x Front panel audio connector
1 x SPDIF Out connector

Yes, it's the same connector, the 20 + 4 pins can be attached to form the 24 pin connector, same with the 4 + 4 pins.

all20plus4.jpg

Dr Dogg

Hahaha don't worry about it. Even though it's never been easier to build your own pc it can still be daunting.

Yes the 20+4 and the 4+4 will fit into the 24pin and 8pin sockets. They're split to allow for legacy motherboards. While there are still some lower powered 4pin CPU sockets it has been years since I've seen a 20pin board.

Just read what derExperte and Drizzle posted the last page or 2 back and you'll understand about why you need only a certain power supply.

If you add up the sockets (8pin CPU, 24pin mainboard, 2x 6pin PCI as well as the 16xPCIe slot for your GPU) and how many expansion drives you have and find their maximum output you will know the very most amount of power you'll need.

End of the day reliability is worth more than extra raw power. That and a vendor who accepts RMAs in your country or somewhere cheap to post to if anything does go wrong.

If there's a cord, there's nothing preventing me from cutting the plugs and soldering new ones in. Unless it's a block device that plugs directly into the wall and receives a cable (which is how those devices usually are). I'm just too lazy to do it.

Yeah just a box you plug into the wall/socket. As you say it's just a simple soldier job but way too much hassle as I'm sure there's a combo out there that might work for you out the box.

fozzy

Game Downloads are only available to US customers
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Please continue shopping on the Amazon.com home page.

Booooo!

Caerith

I have a terrible luck with overclocking. I don't know if it's because I live in a hot country, but every time I tried to overclock any device I own, it becomes a unstable mess.

My QX6700 ran overclocked for most of it's life, but it was always too unstable/overheating all the time. It was an expensive processor, so I still have it. However, it's no longer usable. It locks up and throws up errors every 15 minutes. I've replaced every single part of that computer, but that CPU is toast.

Every "superclock" (In other words, factory-overclocked) videocard I ever bought fried itself after 6-8 months.

My RaspberryPi, which has a built-in overclock feature, which you trigger via software, goes into a bootloop if I overclock it even the slightest.

I'm not taking chances with my i7 2600k. I bought a K because it was as expensive as the regular version, but I'm never touching it's multipliers.
What's the ambient temperature in the room where you're killing all this hardware?

Xavin

Neo Member
Enjoy.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 67 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alien Shooter 2 Conscription -- MB-25EF9DB62BF77C98 - Taken by WinterDemons
McGuffins Curse -- MB-2CAEBA054279D9E3 - Taken by fantomena
Space Pirates And Zombies -- MB-E051CB03E341B47D - Taken by Purkake4
Afterfall Insanity Extended -- MB-C63107D6D2AF4B9D - Taken by Aitor
Sword Of The Stars Enhanced -- MB-2E84D3DDEEA38339 - Taken by Annubis

Adventures Of Shuggy -- MB-14E2BAC446FFE808 - Taken by Cosmic Schwung
Oil Rush -- MB-D03F04E2D54D0487 - Taken by S1n1st3r
Serious Sam HD Second Encounter -- MB-08D7E5D76D88F26D - Taken by Lain
Aquanox -- MB-20D88509834325DE - Taken by S1n1st3r
The Showdown Effect -- MB-5633D781E7478A5E - Taken by theMrCravens
Jamestown -- MB-D871C9C7F283B7A4 - Taken by ModBot - Taken by shockdude
Anodyne -- MB-3DEF38D8131DE66C - Taken by Milamber
Nightsky -- MB-5B539AFAF4CDF220 - Taken by Arthea
Electronic Super Joy -- MB-E0D42A1272468E6B - Taken by ZeroCoin
Rochard -- MB-6D6DB38133A8EDCF - Taken by Jawmuncher
Pacific Storm Allies -- MB-B9C4F0ED078F38E5 - Taken by ModBot - Taken by darkchewie
Dead Space -- MB-F1B45CB129640E2C - Taken by skullmuffins
Europa Universalis III -- MB-F3FE5E4706B6F82C - Taken by wazoo
Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-35402D60EFC6C700 - Taken by The Cowboy
Fear 1 -- MB-D519E63A6BDC8661 - Taken by intheinbetween
Cargo Quest For Gravity #2 -- MB-915413131E4D413D - Taken by almostheathen
Legendary -- MB-21A2518BA69E2182 - Taken by FauX
Dead Hungry Diner -- MB-75BFD3783D89D4CB - Taken by wetflame
Fear 2 -- MB-7573706052C31F43 - Taken by freshVeggie
Painkiller Recurring Evil -- MB-9B9379E59247C653 - Taken by BorntoPlay
Angelica Weaver Catch Me When You Can -- MB-C8F02E09288D2109 - Taken by AScotAbroad
Gemini Rue -- MB-9A9623D8A9D940C6 - Taken by Copons
Toki Tori -- MB-6D448002675CDC74 - Taken by Terra_Ex
Men Of War Red Tide -- MB-3B8597DEBBD8868F - Taken by Mikurden
Whispered World -- MB-89F54F54AF182CBD - Taken by Dsyndrome
Men Of War Goty -- MB-5EC377E8F2134271 - Taken by Vazduh
Pickers -- MB-85124DF3F4FF9231 - Taken by Dusk Golem
Little Inferno -- MB-B5E7228AC9375E54 - Taken by webrunner
Dungeonland -- MB-0FDFFF501E561C99
Doc Clock: Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-B423C222A9D918B3 - Taken by S1n1st3r
Zeno Clash -- MB-DDC67F7036AED520 - Taken by gurm3n
Greed Corp #2 -- MB-9FD191DFD2B127E1 - Taken by S1n1st3r
Duke Nukem Manhattan Project -- MB-3204C25C4B04AB2D - Taken by Kifimbo
Fairie Solitare -- MB-501FB037E6BE097F - Taken by MakeshiftChef
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-A8E57A8CA23A18F8 - Taken by RS4-
The Lord of the Rings War in the North -- MB-24AEBBB299966B00 - Taken by Boss Doggie
Batman Arkham City GOTY -- MB-AADB275421266DF4 - Taken by Accoun
Grotesque Tactics 2 Dungeons And Donuts -- MB-F98BA80AC1EEAB1F - Taken by Ingueferroque
Section 8 -- MB-CCAEA98F5997AEBF - Taken by SalsaShark
Mirrors Edge -- MB-E37FB2296102EF62 - Taken by TheLight
Off-Road Drive -- MB-67E2E5F6D4056B93 - Taken by The-Bean
Cargo Quest For Gravity -- MB-CCFBA38988571BFB - Taken by derExperte
Ignite -- MB-7C104FE2DC821A7D - Taken by Leon Belmont
Red Orchestra Ostfront -- MB-E530E6DCC8D170E1 - Taken by Fuu
Fear 3 -- MB-295C95F28C8C1F04 - Taken by OldAsUrSock
Planets Under Attack -- MB-AEE3DD8B556F4DA5 - Taken by Joe Molotov
Gratuitous Space Battles -- MB-52304C2811758541 - Taken by Arthea
Scribblenauts Unlimited -- MB-38FF2C57C947DB9C - Taken by awwyeahgurrl
Tower Wars -- MB-14D6C701003A8776 - Taken by NingenJanai
Painkiller Redepemtion -- MB-DD1AC9B334F86F07 - Taken by Servizio