• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I live in Argentina :(

35% tax for any financial operation in foreign currency. That includes buying said currency, and funnily (but not really surprisingly) buying plane tickets, even if you pay them in our local currency. It was 20% when the Autumn Seal ended a few weeks ago.

Oh, my condolences. For financial institutions it's bad enough, but for simple transactions seems punitive more than anything else.

I have a terrible luck with overclocking. I don't know if it's because I live in a hot country, but every time I tried to overclock any device I own, it becomes a unstable mess.

My QX6700 ran overclocked for most of it's life, but it was always too unstable/overheating all the time. It was an expensive processor, so I wanted to keep it alive on a secondary computer. However, it's no longer usable, even at stock speeds. It locks up and throws up errors every 15 minutes. I've replaced every single part of that computer, but that CPU is toast.

Every "superclock" (In other words, factory-overclocked) videocard I ever bought fried itself after 6-8 months.

My RaspberryPi, which has a built-in overclock feature, which you trigger via software, goes into a bootloop if I overclock it even the slightest.

I'm not taking chances with my i7 2600k. I bought a K because it was as expensive as the regular version, but I'm never touching it's multipliers.

Do you live in a volcano?

Copons

Yes, it's the same connector, the 20 + 4 pins can be attached to form the 24 pin connector, same with the 4 + 4 pins.

Yay thank you! Now I hope I don't get any more suggestions about replacing stuff again! :D

I have a terrible luck with overclocking. I don't know if it's because I live in a hot country, but every time I tried to overclock any device I own, it becomes a unstable mess.

Yup, pretty much the same here.
I don't think Rome and Brazil are comparable, but over the Summer, we easily get up to 40°C with plenty of humidity, and air conditioning in my flat is extremely expensive, so I usually try to endure the season using it less I can.
Also, I don't think I'll be able to replace a broken CPU anytime soon after this big(-ish) expense...

Dec

I'd say it stays between 28 and 38 celcius throughout the year, with 40 spikes in the summer.

After some googling I can only assume it's been like 10-15 celcius in here the past week. All I know is it's been really fucking hard to play Dota.

Edit: My cpu is at 26C.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yup, pretty much the same here.
I don't think Rome and Brazil are comparable, but over the Summer, we easily get up to 40°C with plenty of humidity, and air conditioning in my flat is extremely expensive, so I usually try to endure the season using it less I can.
Also, I don't think I'll be able to replace a broken CPU anytime soon after this big(-ish) expense...

Yup, what you described is what I experience here. Same temperatures, same humidity.

A couple decades ago, the room where I currently have all my stuff set up (which is also my bedroom) had a wooden painting frame warp from the heat in the room. So, yeah, I'm not overclocking anything.. :D

Copons

Hahaha don't worry about it. Even though it's never been easier to build your own pc it can still be daunting.

Yes the 20+4 and the 4+4 will fit into the 24pin and 8pin sockets. They're split to allow for legacy motherboards. While there are still some lower powered 4pin CPU sockets it has been years since I've seen a 20pin board.

Just read what derExperte and Drizzle posted the last page or 2 back and you'll understand about why you need only a certain power supply.

If you add up the sockets (8pin CPU, 24pin mainboard, 2x 6pin PCI as well as the 16xPCIe slot for your GPU) and how many expansion drives you have and find their maximum output you will know the very most amount of power you'll need.

End of the day reliability is worth more than extra raw power. That and a vendor who accepts RMAs in your country or somewhere cheap to post to if anything does go wrong.

Yeah just a box you plug into the wall/socket. As you say it's just a simple soldier job but way too much hassle as I'm sure there's a combo out there that might work for you out the box.

Thank you! I read it all but my brain is starting to fry with all these new information! :D

You guys are priceless!

Derrick01

Banned
I'm very sorry for making such temptations on you. Perhaps it's for the best. It's getting cold so you can always warm up cutting some wood. Would you?

First thing you must do if you get this game? Easy:

:lol

I can't get enough of these simulators for some reason. I'm still waiting for a decent sale on farming sim, even though I just recently picked up the 3DS harvest moon game.

Dec

Yup, what you described is what I experience here. Same temperatures, same humidity.

A couple decades ago, the room where I currently have all my stuff set up (which is also my bedroom) had a wooden painting frame warp from the heat in the room. So, yeah, I'm not overclocking anything.. :D

That sounds like straight up hell man. I'll stick with the snowy tundra of Canadia.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

My QX6700 ran overclocked for most of it's life, but it was always too unstable/overheating all the time. It was an expensive processor, so I wanted to keep it alive on a secondary computer. However, it's no longer usable, even at stock speeds. It locks up and throws up errors every 15 minutes. I've replaced every single part of that computer, but that CPU is toast.

Every "superclock" (In other words, factory-overclocked) videocard I ever bought fried itself after 6-8 months.

My RaspberryPi, which has a built-in overclock feature, which you trigger via software, goes into a bootloop if I overclock it even the slightest.

I'm not taking chances with my i7 2600k. I bought a K because it was as expensive as the regular version, but I'm never touching it's multipliers.

One of my mates has had bum luck also. Back in 2006 he bought a new PC and intended to overclock, however he purchased DDR2-533 instead of 667/800, so he had zero headroom available. Last year, when I upgraded, I gave him my old RAM (2x 2GB DDR2-800), CPU (C2D E6420) and HSF (something high-end), but the best he could squeeze out of it on his motherboad was an extra 50MHz (or maybe it was somewhere in the low triple digits), which paled in comparison to the 800MHz overclock I had been running for the past ~five years.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, my condolences. For financial institutions it's bad enough, but for simple transactions seems punitive more than anything else.
Yeah, but I should take it as a "YOU SHOULD STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON GAMES YOU'LL NEVER PLAY YOU FOOL. ALSO YOU SHOULD GET OUT OF YOUR CHAIR AND CLEAN THE GRAPHICS CARD. ALSO YOU SHOULD STOP SHOUTING AT YOURSELF, BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL THINK YOU ARE CRAZY" advice and stop buying so many games.

I'm probably going to buy MGR anyway, sales are like a drug at this point.

Cheddahz

Banned
I think my favorite part of Gone Home was the music. A lot of the music in it is stuff I grew up listening to and the
Sonic Youth poster
was a cool thing to find as well

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
new Bundlestore deals.
  • Supreme commander 80% off
  • Galaxy on Fire 2 87% off
  • Battle vs Chess 50% off
  • Cubetractor 50% off
  • Air Conflicts Pacific Carriers 80% off

GMG has 75% off Anachronox

PSA: If you own Check vs Mate on Steam, you should buy Battle vs Chess, because although it's the same game with nothing but a mere title change, it's a separate app.

Salsa

I have my i5 2500k at 4.5ghz and my 680 with a 120 oc on the main clock and can't remember the memory oc

people worry too much about temps it seems. shit is sturdy and will most likely live for as long as you use it till you have to upgrade unless it hits CRAZY temperatures

*says the guy getting constant BSODs now

smr00

Banned
Aliens: Colonial Marines is up for $1.99 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009K6YJTS/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I feel like it's still $1 too much.

Groupees Holiday Helpings is active.
2 game minimum.
  • QUBE
  • Blood of the Werewolf
  • Driftmoon
  • Gateways
  • Gentlemen
  • Avernum Escape from the Pit
  • Ethan: Meteor Hunter
  • Doctor Who Adventure 1
  • Draw a stickman Epic!
  • 9.03m
Anything on here worth getting? Tempted to get the Doctor Who game but it looks so, so bad.

The_Monk

Groupees Holiday Helpings is active.
2 game minimum.
  • QUBE
  • Blood of the Werewolf
  • Driftmoon
  • Gateways
  • Gentlemen
  • Avernum Escape from the Pit
  • Ethan: Meteor Hunter
  • Doctor Who Adventure 1
  • Draw a stickman Epic!
  • 9.03m

This is nice. Getting one meal for those that are more in need. This week I gave a Chocolate Muffin to a homeless man that was living on the streets... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom