• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valve does need to step up its game after the masterpiece that is Survival Instinct.

(It probably seems as though I'm disagreeing with you by way of a joke, but I actually concur.)

I do not think it's going to be as radical as people are hoping for (if Valve do shake it up a bit): like an openworld, systemic, emergent gameplay type game? Eh, I dunno.

Then again if they want it to be a VR and biometric showcase, slower pace might be better for it. If they want it to be a showcase that is.

Jawmuncher

If L4D3 is getting an actual SP that would be great. L4D just isn't for me, both games are just so basic that im surprised they're so popular. Teamwork isn't even necessary aside from getting out of special infected grapples.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Valve is just going to kill two birds with one stone and release Left 4 the Combine, the game that finally bridges the two universes.

Well, there's your Half-Life joke for the day. You guys can go back to smashing your dicks against rocks or whatever it is you people do.

Valve is just going to kill two birds with one stone and release Left 4 the Combine, the game that finally bridges the two universes.

Well, there's your Half-Life joke for the day. You guys can go back to smashing your dicks against rocks or whatever it is you people do.

Portal 4 the Combine could be better.

Prophane33

If L4D3 is getting an actual SP that would be great. L4D just isn't for me, both games are just so basic that im surprised they're so popular. Teamwork isn't even necessary aside from getting out of special infected grapples.

Absolutely this. I've tried so hard to get into both L4D 1 and 2, and I just cant' do it. The whole concept seems so awesome, but the multiplayer is just...no. Granted, I'm not a big multiplayer person (though I am obsessed with stuff like PSO2). I think maybe L4D it's just isn't "my kind" of game. The original concept sounded so cool too.

Jawmuncher

Absolutely this. I've tried so hard to get into both L4D 1 and 2, and I just cant' do it. The whole concept seems so awesome, but the multiplayer is just...no. Granted, I'm not a big multiplayer person (though I am obsessed with stuff like PSO2). I think maybe L4D it's just isn't "my kind" of game. The original concept sounded so cool too.

I beat both L4D1 and 2 in MP and still can't dig out the appeal those games garner.
It's a big reason why I don't much care what Turtle Rock's next game is. The idea definitely sounds good on paper but it just turns into a horde mode where you from one point to the next. The only part of the game I give kudos to is the witch. Trying to be quiet and the like was always the best part of both games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This game isn't for me and I want them to change the whole concept so it is for me. No wonder gamers get accused of having entitlement issues.

Anustart

Question about Dead Space, is there any way to fix the terrible mouse lag? Moving the mouse is terrible, and I doubt I can play it as is...

Not a power problem, as I'm sporting a 3570k and gtx 760.

Turfster

The fun in L4D is basically about getting together a regular group of friends and fucking around in Versus mode, trying to stop each other from reaching the end of the map. Other than that, the appeal is limited indeed (especially in SP, since they seem to have made the bots dumber somehow with each iteration...)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Question about Dead Space, is there any way to fix the terrible mouse lag? Moving the mouse is terrible, and I doubt I can play it as is...

Not a power problem, as I'm sporting a 3570k and gtx 760.

Disable vsync. If the tearing is bothersome, try experimenting with the vsync/triple buffering settings in D3DOverrider.

There are wheel options only. I'm away from my PC at the moment but I think that's the case.

If the setting isn't present inside the game then it's stuffed away in a config file. I'm not sure where they're stored, though, as I don't have it installed.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
No need to post thanks. Thanks.

Leftover junk keys from previous giveaways that, according to ModBot, were not taken. Modbot mangled my Hacker keys and truncated lots of names, so I removed some and whatever. If a key happens to not work, don't blame me; BLAME YOURSELF OR MODBOT!!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 29 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (xelios, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

WW II Panzer Claws 1 & 2 -- -- MB-15AA88C258C40458 - Taken by NingenJanai
Star Wolves 3 #4 -- MB-7F343654F8AE47CC - Taken by DeadlyVirus
Star Wolves 3 #2 -- MB-10AFA4A2CA503ABE - Taken by Dambrosi
Star Wolves 3 #3 -- MB-51AD31302E29808A - Taken by dirtywhirlwind
Midnight Mysteries -- MB-AD0C35E00BF2DB18 - Taken by Ben652
The Lord of the Rings Online DLC #2 -- MB-F561C231FEC6E3C2 - Taken by runnin_blue
Midnight Mysteries 3 #2 -- MB-D1AC9659D481A801 - Taken by Diedac
Men of War -- MB-36BBC04CBB0FFB11 - Taken by chronic_archaic
Men of War -- -- MB-8830E0DFDCADC48C - Taken by yoshizzle
Batman -- MB-AA8C48331E31BCC0 - Taken by Spawn
Medal of Honor -- -- MB-185CABC4BC3DF5F9 - Taken by TheAutomator
Necrovision -- -- MB-FF1E4E738AFF2BC9 - Taken by maneil99
Mayhem Intergalactic -- -- MB-F1604795E0AC8410 - Taken by Aitor
Dead Space #2 -- -- MB-DC27093A29AB2CFB - Taken by Shepard
Trainz Simulator -- MB-983AA16CC91A046D - Taken by Kifimbo
WW III -- MB-6BB15ECC4936F15D - Taken by SephirothRK
Midnight Mysteries 3 -- MB-D12374256B691879 - Taken by Knurek
Warfare -- -- MB-C3981A86BA7C8742 - Taken by Terra_Ex
Midnight Mysteries 4 -- MB-77F47BE480B89AF1 - Taken by AScotAbroad
The Lord of the Rings Online DLC -- MB-C8442B7E83B3CDC2 - Taken by Kagemusha
Rig N Roll -- -- MB-37C16B7F1D023E06 - Taken by user237
Project Aftermath -- -- MB-781B67BC4B69FF73 - Taken by Tellaerin
7 Wonders II -- -- MB-9685CCEFD6E9E1D7 - Taken by Vecks
Forge Starter Pack -- -- MB-BA5F319280438F8A - Taken by nightstorm
Star Wolves 3 -- MB-7D3A9D8799324F02 - Taken by scorpscarx
Rig N Roll -- #2 -- MB-C5E1A10F7D7832AB - Taken by Eanan
Air Conflicts -- MB-0DD3E222A07C6BCE - Taken by neoism
The 39 Steps #4 -- -- MB-241ACBFFFDC4F0EB - Taken by Cloudius12
WW III #2 -- MB-CE4E9DBEA78B5A2C - Taken by adaen

Grief.exe

Playing Versus with friends is a whole different experience and is the mode that requires the most teamwork. That is the mode that makes L4D the most fun and mechanically interesting.

I can see where you are coming from with the SP and base-MP part, they are not as fun.

man what the poop, Rage is much more fun than I thought =o

Come back when you are in the middle or end of the game.

Rage has great shooting mechanics and can be a lot of fun at the beginning, but due to the repetition of enemies/locations, and elongation the game just loses its appeal around the half-way point.

JaseC

man what the poop, Rage is much more fun than I thought =o

It can be enjoyable provided you're familiar with id's history and thus know what to expect. Many of the disgruntled opinions towards the game overall come from those who'd erroneously, though understandably, assumed it to be akin to Fallout or Borderlands.

No need to post thanks. Thanks.

Leftover junk keys from previous giveaways that, according to ModBot, were not taken. Modbot mangled my Hacker keys and truncated lots of names, so I removed some and whatever. If a key happens to not work, don't blame me; BLAME YOURSELF OR MODBOT!!
Thanks for panzer claws

Divius

Thanks for panzer claws
image.php

Kifimbo

First time using Gifts through Steam.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rad Bats -- MB-DB8AD18F5077FDF9 - Taken by Freezard

Playing Versus with friends is a whole different experience and is the mode that requires the most teamwork. That is the mode that makes L4D the most fun and mechanically interesting.

I can see where you are coming from with the SP and base-MP part, they are not as fun.

Rage has great shooting mechanics and can be a lot of fun at the beginning, but due to the repetition of enemies/locations, and elongation the game just loses its appeal around the half-way point.

They just need to make it hardcore about abandons like CS GO is and add hats to incentivize people to not rage quit the second the other team has a higher score.

Jawmuncher

It's enjoyable provided you're familiar with id's history and thus know what to expect. Many of the disgruntled opinions towards the game overall come from those who'd erroneously, though understandably, assumed it to be akin to Fallout or Borderlands.

I playd rage back on the 360 and got what I wanted from it. Didn't care about the race stuff though. But yeah the comparisons to Borderlands and Fallout did hurt the game in the end. The shooting parts were fun and I found the ending to be fine as well. Not nearly as bad as some made it out to be as much of a nonending as it was.

That would probably make a bigger difference since it does feel like it's missing something in SP and regular coop.

Anteater

It can be enjoyable provided you're familiar with id's history and thus know what to expect. Many of the disgruntled opinions towards the game overall come from those who'd erroneously, though understandably, assumed it to be akin to Fallout or Borderlands.

I really kind of like riding the buggy around and killing stuff :D I wish it's more focused on outdoors though, I kind of like it better than borderlands at the beginning (only played bl for an hour or two)

ahh I see, maybe I'll get bored before the free weekend is over!

JaseC

I playd rage back on the 360 and got what I wanted from it. Didn't care about the race stuff though. But yeah the comparisons to Borderlands and Fallout did hurt the game in the end. The shooting parts were fun and I found the ending to be fine as well. Not nearly as bad as some made it out to be as much of a nonending as it was.

The game certainly has its faults (namely the defib mechanic practically renders death a non-issue, there's an obvious preference for reusing locations rather than offering new ones, hub world traversal isn't interesting as outside of loot caches that float mid-air there's nothing be gained by exploring, the loot/crafting systems are very basic and could have been implemented in a more meaningful manner [upgrading weapons, for instance]), the AI leaves little to be desired in most cases, and there's no final boss), but at the core of the game is classic FPS gameplay and to that end it's a joy to play if you grew up with or otherwise enjoy the likes of Doom and Quake. Also, wingsticks are awesome.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I still view RAGE less of a game and more as an enjoyable tech demo for what the engine could do. A mix mash of various aspects, ideas, and techniques put together to play around with.

Sadly nothing came from it really, but I still got my enjoyment out of it. I do want more games to have throwable items like the wingstick. It's right up there with Rock-It Launcher from Fallout as one of my favourite weapons of environmentally friendly murder.

Anyone who hasn't already, add me. I promise I won't post too many screenshots.

I will post too many screenshots.

I like screen shots. Tis fun to see what is deemed interesting enough or what is accidentally captured and put online from games. Also stalking people's achievements, recommendations, and so forth.

I'm Kenofthedead on Steam, for anyone that would like to befriend me. Especially those of you who got Zen Pinball FX. High Scores are always fun to compete against.

Freezard

Did you ever try playing on expert? You really need team work to beat the campaigns. I mean it's probably possible in solo but it would take so much longer. Getting out of special infected grabs are pretty crucial, they kill you really quickly.

Today I started playing Rift, any advice or comments from fellow SteamGaffers? Is the game worthy of my time and good enough to make my backlog cry?

Interestingly enough I liked the car combat/racing in Rage. I also think the enemy animations didn't get enough credit. Even if they were sort of bullet sponges, it was so fluid when you hit them.

Li Kao

The game certainly has its faults (namely the defib mechanic practically renders death a non-issue, there's an obvious preference for reusing locations rather than offering new ones, hub world traversal isn't interesting as outside of loot caches that float mid-air there's nothing be gained by exploring, the loot/crafting systems are very basic and could have been implemented in a more meaningful manner [upgrading weapons, for instance]), the AI leaves little to be desired in most cases, and there's no final boss), but at the core of the game is classic FPS gameplay and to that end it's a joy to play if you grew up with or otherwise enjoy the likes of Doom and Quake. Also, wingsticks are awesome.

This, so much this. I 100%ed the game and... no regrets.

Jawmuncher

Did you ever try playing on expert? You really need team work to beat the campaigns. I mean it's probably possible in solo but it would take so much longer. Getting out of special infected grabs are pretty crucial, they kill you really quickly.

While that's true at the same time that's a bit of the point I was trying to draw.
The teamwork in non-versus mode just feels like it's an excuse for more people.
Hey we have all these enemies that will ambush you and grabs you can't get out of by yourself so you might want some friends to play with. I mean true techincally regardless of the type of teamwork it is, it's teamwork regardless. But I guess I just wanted a bit more meat from L4D if anything. When I think of team work I think of Resident Evil Outbreak, which still stands as one of the top games in that realm.

Derrick01

Banned
Rage looks pretty as hell in motion too, it's a shame they couldn't add in higher res textures =(

They apparently did. You should have seen what it looked like when it first came out, especially in that city. Some of the ugliest and blurriest textures I've seen this past generation.

Ben652

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Fear 3 -- MB-7FF52A9BFAC47E3A - Taken by vvise
Fear 2 -- MB-5180EE426C23AC2A - Taken by trailmix16
Mirrors Edge -- MB-F7AB5126A325EAF4 - Taken by Blablurn

Jawmuncher

They apparently did. You should have seen what it looked like when it first came out, especially in that city. Some of the ugliest and blurriest textures I've seen this past generation.

Still amazes me how much of a mess the Rage launch was..
Can't think of a recent PC launch that was nearly as bad as that.

MRORANGE

In response to Chronoja and several other posters on the issue of Modbot.

Yeah I can understand where you're coming from, in terms of Modbot, I actually like it and would prefer it to remain in the thread, the problem as you have pointed out is the number of messages that come after a Modbot giveaway can be detrimental for thread reading purposes and participation. It's still important to thank gaffers for keys and a new system really needs to devised as were blurring the lines of being a news thread into a super large gifting thread.

One of the strongest points of this thread is the fact that it's one of fastest places on the web to get information about Steam, (one of the reasons, why I joined). But having the need to scroll through 5 pages of giveaways to find out that there's a deal on a certain website is counter productive to what the thread should really be about. At this rate the steam thread isn't slowing down, in comparison to the 2012 period we have doubled in size from 4 to 8 threads, were most likely going to hit 12+ threads a year, which isn't great for people who just want to come in and get the latest news and recent deals. It's very easy for this information to get lost.

Over time the thread has been more susceptible to derailing, which even I admit to doing as well, but it's going to a point that were creating a social hub within this thread while there are threads that may be more suitable catered for those subjects. I know that Steam is a broad area to cover and warrants cross-discussion of other topics into the fray is beneficial in some ways such as comparing services, games and user reviews, where it stops being helpful is daily. Personally in my opinion this thread has become more relaxed about being off topic, even after Evilore came in and talked about our posting habits, and it's definitely gotten worse this year.

One of the issues of this thread being so larges is the 'me vs them' mentality that this thread is creating. A lot of times I'm seeing people posting that it's only safe to post in this thread or complaining about the hostility of other threads on NeoGAF. I can understand that it's a new console release and were seeing a barrage of console threads and arguments arising (this is nothing compared to 2005-2007). However the majority of Gaf threads are open to discussion and debate and you shouldn't feel threatened by posting your opinion, if you really do feel that there is actually hostility then feel free to report it to the mods. What I'm seeing however it that this thread is turning into a PC gaming mega-thread in which we can critique others without backlash. It hasn't reached the stages of 'PC MASTER RACE 1337!!!' but it's getting there, which is slightly worrying, as this thread isn't supposed to be a intimidating place for people who want to get into PC gaming and nor should we be arrogant of of other platforms and treat this place as some sort of a safe haven for us to hang out.

Another minor issue is the self congratulatory aspect of this thread, posts such as pointing out that this is a great thread and all. which is great but we don't need reminding every single page of our efforts and it adds very little, same goes for HL3 jokes/inside thread jokes/memes/ *et cetera. (I'm probably being overly harsh here.)

To Stump: Could you consider having a comment field with modbot giveaways? For example someone sends a PM to modbot claiming a key and have a field that would leave a message on the poster who gave away the key if they were successful:

Code:
Badrats -- MB-B90492128989423C
MESSAGE -- Thanks for Badrats!

I'm not sure if this should be enforced or not for everyone, but it's an idea that would congratulatory stop spamming of posts, feedback from other posters would be a good idea on this matter.

Li Kao

Still amazes me how much of a mess the Rage launch was..
Can't think of a recent PC launch that was nearly as bad as that.

One word : Brink !
I wasn't impacted by Rage nor Brink problems, but from what I read on message boards, Brink took the cake. Some people are still in shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom