• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

They apparently did. You should have seen what it looked like when it first came out, especially in that city. Some of the ugliest and blurriest textures I've seen this past generation.

:lol really, I guess they look fine from a distance, but blurry when you walk up close

rage_2013_11_23_17_01rfscm.jpg

Anustart

I'ma voice my opinion which may not be very well thought of around these parts, but I support anyone who wishes to thank the givers in the topic.

It's not as if they're the only posts cluttering the topic, as we all know what happens when poutine or saoirse gets mentioned, we get inundated with post after post on the matters, while thank you posts help show off the amazing people in the thread, and those who are thankful for them.

jediyoshi

They apparently did. You should have seen what it looked like when it first came out, especially in that city. Some of the ugliest and blurriest textures I've seen this past generation.

IIRC they just added a shitty sharpening-esque filter to everything
and killed a bunch of config functionality because why not

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
One of the issues of this thread being so larges is of the 'me vs them' mentality that this thread is creating. A lot of times I'm seeing people posting that it's only safe to post in this thread or complaining about the hostility of other threads on NeoGAF. I can understand that it's a new console release and were seeing a barrage of console threads and arguments arising (this is nothing compared to 2005-2007). However the majority of Gaf threads are open to discussion and debate and you shouldn't feel threatened by posting your opinion, if you really do feel that there is actually hostility then feel free to report it to the mods. What I'm seeing however it that this thread is turning into a PC gaming mega-thread in which we can critique others without backlash. It hasn't reached the stages of 'PC MASTER RACE 1337!!!' but it's getting there, which is slightly worrying, as this thread isn't supposed to be a intimidating place for people who want to get into PC gaming and nor should we be arrogant of of other platforms and treat this place as some sort of a safe haven for us to hang out

*cough* Wii 2, PSP2 threads*cough cough*

Sorry, frog in my throat.

You're basically saying what those two threads turn out to be. Frankly, I don't care about "megathreads" because that's what I enjoy and post in in-general. So...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

A sharpening filter was added in a patch, but the game arguably looks worse with it enabled. Carmack did mull over the possibility of high-res texture "DLC", but, if you can believe it, most of the game's textures were created with the same amount of detail as you see in-game, no doubt due to the misfire that was desiring PC-inclusive cross-platform parity.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
All this talk of RAGE and I bought it but haven't installed it to play. :/ I didn't mind the PS3 demo. But I didn't want to buy it at more than $5, sorry Carmack. :(

Playing Versus with friends is a whole different experience and is the mode that requires the most teamwork. That is the mode that makes L4D the most fun and mechanically interesting.

I can see where you are coming from with the SP and base-MP part, they are not as fun.

Too bad the actual community for L4D is pure-hot-trash no matter the platform. 360 or PC. Terrible experience playing online even in the base co-op with them.

Not doing what they want? Kick.
Not reviving them quickly enough? Kick.
No mic? Kick.
Went to the safe house to finish the level leaving them to die? Kick.

As bad as the SOCOM community for me.

Jawmuncher

One word : Brink !
I wasn't impacted by Rage nor Brink problems, but from what I read on message boards, Brink took the cake. Some people are still in shock.

Funny enough that was another Bethesda published game.

In response to Chronoja and several other posters on the issue of Modbot.

Yeah I can understand where you're coming from, in terms of Modbot, I actually like it and would prefer it to remain in the thread, the problem as you have pointed out is the number of messages that come after a Modbot giveaway can be detrimental for thread reading purposes and participation. It's still important to thank gaffers for keys and a new system really needs to devised as were blurring the lines of being a news thread into a super large gifting thread.

One of the strongest points of this thread is the fact that it's one of fastest places on the web to get information about Steam, (one of the reasons, why I joined). But having the need to scroll through 5 pages of giveaways to find out that there's a deal on a certain website is counter productive to what the thread should really be about. At this rate the steam thread isn't slowing down, in comparison to the 2012 period we have doubled in size from 4 to 8 threads, were most likely going to hit 12+ threads a year, which isn't great for people who just want to come in and get the latest news and recent deals. It's very easy for this information to get lost.

Over time the thread has been more susceptible to derailing, which even I admit to doing as well, but it's going to a point that were creating a social hub within this thread while there are threads that may be more suitable catered for those subjects. I know that Steam is a broad area to cover and warrants cross-discussion of other topics into the fray is beneficial in some ways such as comparing services, games and user reviews, where it stops being helpful is daily. Personally in my opinion this thread has become more relaxed about being off topic, even after Evilore came in and talked about our posting habits, and it's definitely gotten worse this year.

One of the issues of this thread being so larges is the 'me vs them' mentality that this thread is creating. A lot of times I'm seeing people posting that it's only safe to post in this thread or complaining about the hostility of other threads on NeoGAF. I can understand that it's a new console release and were seeing a barrage of console threads and arguments arising (this is nothing compared to 2005-2007). However the majority of Gaf threads are open to discussion and debate and you shouldn't feel threatened by posting your opinion, if you really do feel that there is actually hostility then feel free to report it to the mods. What I'm seeing however it that this thread is turning into a PC gaming mega-thread in which we can critique others without backlash. It hasn't reached the stages of 'PC MASTER RACE 1337!!!' but it's getting there, which is slightly worrying, as this thread isn't supposed to be a intimidating place for people who want to get into PC gaming and nor should we be arrogant of of other platforms and treat this place as some sort of a safe haven for us to hang out.

Another minor issues is the self congratulatory aspect of this thread, posts such as pointing out that this is a great thread and all. which is great but we don't need reminding every single page of our efforts and it adds very little, same goes for HL3 jokes/inside thread jokes/memes/ *et cetera. (I'm probably being overly harsh here.)

To Stump: Could you consider having a comment field with modbot giveaways? For example someone sends a PM to modbot claiming a key and have a field that would leave a message on the poster who gave away the key if they were successful:

Code:
Badrats -- MB-B90492128989423C
MESSAGE -- Thanks for Badrats!

I'm not sure if this should be enforced or not for everyone, but it's an idea that would congratulatory stop spamming of posts, feedback from other posters would be a good idea on this matter.

Definitely valid points all around. For me personally I feel the biggest issue is the OffTopic stuff. I love to bullshit in the thread as well but sometimes it is a bit over board. To the point where I don't even want to post until it has subsided. Obviously even though this is the Steam Announcement's and Update thread were still a community thus it's understandable. Stuff such as when everyone was wishing me luck for my ongoing deployment was a nice touch or when we tell someone happy birthday and the like. That's the kind of stuff I have no problem with.

- Better upscaling of the textures.
- Sharpening filter.
- Noise filter.

The first is an addition that makes the textures legitimately better since it can be backed up by the math and all, the other two are a bit like the XB1's "magic" upscaler:

You start with a shitty image and you are trying to convince me that by using "magic" you will make it look amazing.. but what in reality you are doing is making the image often look even worse than what you started with because - surprise! - there's no such thing as "magic".

Grief.exe

Still amazes me how much of a mess the Rage launch was..
Can't think of a recent PC launch that was nearly as bad as that.

Battlefield 4 is far and away worse. We are essentially in a closed beta for the foreseeable future.

And since the problems are so prevelant across so many platforms its going to take them a while to fully fix.

Its funny, because among my friends I had the lowest expectations and kept warning my friends. Its hilarious because the game is so broken, and they are all so mad. I'm the only one having a modicrum of fun due to my expectations being in the basement.

Hopefully they are all done with EA games after this.

Sober

Damn, Rising Storm itself isn't on sale for RO2 owners because of that. It's 100% off!

edit: goddamn it Boss Doggie

In response to Chronoja and several other posters on the issue of Modbot.

*snip*

I agree with every single aspect of your post.

I have played my part in the off topic chat since I started posting in here and resolve to curtail that henceforth.

Your suggestion with respect to the ModBot Comment option would be ideal. Hopefully Stump will agree and it will be possible to implement.

A sharpening filter was added in a patch, but the game arguably looks worse with it enabled. Carmack did mull over the possibility of high-res texture "DLC", but, if you can believe it, most of the game's textures were created with the same amount of detail as you see in-game, no doubt due to the misfire that was desiring PC-inclusive cross-platform parity.

True, but: The game's source textures might be of low fidelity but they shouldn't have bad compression artifacts (macroblocking) such as the retail megatextures have, so if we could get access to them they would still make a huge difference.

Li Kao

On the topic of the quality of this thread, I won't speak with definitive words, as my experience is personal (eh) and as I have been away for some days (that feels like months here). But that's precisely it, I can't handle the pace of the thread anymore. Be it "thank you posts", "OT" or other things, no way I can follow you anymore.
Hell do you realize ? The new thread is a few days old and we are at 30 pages in 100ppp view. I can't handle that. We already stand at nearly 3000 fucking posts.

Now that is my limited experience and not really a critic, I always have this dizzy reaction with megathreads (I don't think you could pay me enough to read each AnimeGaf post, and that's really not about quality).

Jawmuncher

Battlefield 4 is far and away worse. We are essentially in a closed beta for the foreseeable future.

And since the problems are so prevelant across so many platforms its going to take them a while to fully fix.

Its funny, because among my friends I had the lowest expectations and kept warning my friends. Its hilarious because the game is so broken, and they are all so mad. I'm the only one having a modicrum of fun due to my expectations being in the basement.

Hopefully they are all done with EA games after this.

I haven't even been tracking the launch of BF4.
Didn't realize it was that bad, glad I decided to ignore it because that is just terrible.
Shameful of EA to push the game in that state just so they could have their holiday release.

The_Monk

It hasn't reached the stages of 'PC MASTER RACE 1337!!!' but it's getting there, which is slightly worrying, as this thread isn't supposed to be a intimidating place for people who want to get into PC gaming and nor should we be arrogant of of other platforms and treat this place as some sort of a safe haven for us to hang out

I agree with what you said except this part I quoted. I actually see more people welcome others than showing of how powerful his/her PC is. There's people with powerful PC's, low-end budget PC's, old PC's and quite some people with Laptops from different range of specs. There's all kind of PC gamers in here.

I think I see more people welcome another GAFfer in here when he's new to Steam or PC in general rather than "Look how good my PC is" type of posts, in fact I think that is quite rare and the "PC Master Race" meme is not actually something I see in here often to be honest.

I like the friendly posts around here just as much I like them in any other thread. I like the Community aspect of it too. We are all human in the end so it is expected to share your feelings when you are proud of something. Of course, if that becomes too frequent it can be less optimal for what the purpose of the thread really is. I always post my impressions of the games I play and finished, deals and sometimes I throw some nice words towards the Community or do a silly Guide like I did a couple of pages left. I like to help people where I can even when posting about a game (like yesterday, when I finished Dirt 3, then I got a PM from a GAFfer, thanking me for writing said impressions).

---

To summarize, I don't see the "Master Race" talk in here very often and I don't believe we are "getting there" as you mentioned. Of course, this is just my humble opinion, feel free to dismiss it anytime.

Also, if someone in here feel I go Off Topic too often or believe that my friendly talk is "too much" let me know so I can reduce it a little or stop it at all (at least in the Steam thread, because I can't change who I am).

Dr Dogg

I am so tempted to pick up a PS4 controller for PC + PS3 play, but its so damn expensive.

Do I even need it? Not really.

I'm debating picking one up for GT6 and having proper triggers and to replace my ageing 360 pad for pc but I'm going to wait it out until the Steam controller is out before taking a plunge at that price.

Nabs

I agree with what you said except this part I quoted. I actually see more people welcome others than showing of how powerful his/her PC is. There's people with powerful PC's, low-end budget PC's, old PC's and quite some people with Laptops from different range of specs. There's all kind of PC gamers in here.

I think I see more people welcome another GAFfer in here when he's new to Steam or PC in general rather than "Look how good my PC is" type of posts, in fact I think that is quite rare and the "PC Master Race" meme is not actually something I see in here often to be honest.

I like the friendly posts around here just as much I like them in any other thread. I like the Community aspect of it too. We are all human in the end so it is expected to share your feelings when you are proud of something. Of course, if that becomes too frequent it can be less optimal for what the purpose of the thread really is. I always post my impressions of the games I play and finished, deals and sometimes I throw some nice words towards the Community or do a silly Guide like I did a couple of pages left. I like to help people where I can even when posting about a game (like yesterday, when I finished Dirt 3, then I got a PM from a GAFfer, thanking me for writing said impressions).

---

To summarize, I don't see the "Master Race" talk in here very often and I don't believe we are "getting there" as you mentioned. Of course, this is just my humble opinion, feel free to dismiss it anytime.

Also, if someone in here feel I go Off Topic too often or believe that my friendly talk is "too much" let me know so I can reduce it a little or stop it at all (at least in the Steam thread, because I can't change who I am).

Exactly, fellow gaffer.

Tellaerin

One of the strongest points of this thread is the fact that it's one of fastest places on the web to get information about Steam, (one of the reasons, why I joined). But having the need to scroll through 5 pages of giveaways to find out that there's a deal on a certain website is counter productive to what the thread should really be about. At this rate the steam thread isn't slowing down, in comparison to the 2012 period we have doubled in size from 4 to 8 threads, were most likely going to hit 12+ threads a year, which isn't great for people who just want to come in and get the latest news and recent deals. It's very easy for this information to get lost.

To be fair, there are also a decent number of times when there aren't any major deals or other Steam news worth discussing. At times like those, the giveaways and replies keep the thread on the front page where people can see it and help stimulate more discussion, which keeps things active. I don't see that as a bad thing.

Over time the thread has been more susceptible to derailing, which even I admit to doing as well, but it's going to a point that were creating a social hub within this thread while there are threads that may be more suitable catered for those subjects. I know that Steam is a broad area to cover and warrants cross-discussion of other topics into the fray is beneficial in some ways such as comparing services, games and user reviews, where it stops being helpful is daily. Personally in my opinion this thread has become more relaxed about being off topic, even after Evilore came in and talked about our posting habits, and it's definitely gotten worse this year.

One of the issues of this thread being so larges is the 'me vs them' mentality that this thread is creating. A lot of times I'm seeing people posting that it's only safe to post in this thread or complaining about the hostility of other threads on NeoGAF. I can understand that it's a new console release and were seeing a barrage of console threads and arguments arising (this is nothing compared to 2005-2007). However the majority of Gaf threads are open to discussion and debate and you shouldn't feel threatened by posting your opinion, if you really do feel that there is actually hostility then feel free to report it to the mods. What I'm seeing however it that this thread is turning into a PC gaming mega-thread in which we can critique others without backlash. It hasn't reached the stages of 'PC MASTER RACE 1337!!!' but it's getting there, which is slightly worrying, as this thread isn't supposed to be a intimidating place for people who want to get into PC gaming and nor should we be arrogant of of other platforms and treat this place as some sort of a safe haven for us to hang out.

I'll be honest with you here. One of the things that really appeals to me about these threads is that there is a sense of community in them that I feel is often lacking elsewhere on NeoGAF, particularly with the launch of the new consoles. I think the fact that there are regulars here and that people know each other to a greater degree than they do in other threads helps contribute to the pleasant atmosphere - just like in the offline world, people tend to be more civil and concerned with how they're expressing themselves when they're dealing with people they know and talk to regularly. This isn't a bad thing, at least to my mind.

I also don't share your concerns about people in these threads "critiquing others without backlash". People haven't been acting particularly arrogant or superior about PC gaming vs. other platforms here (except perhaps jokingly), and given the overall atmosphere in these threads, I doubt they'll start. I also think that encouraging people to spread out the discussion of PC gaming-related topics further will just lead to the creation of more little threads that will die out, since PC gaming just doesn't seem to be as well-represented here as other platforms are. Spreading things out more won't suddenly pull more PC gamers into the fold.

I don't know. I guess it just comes down to the fact that I like things the way they are here now, dammit. We've got something good here. And tinkering with the formula for whatever reason runs the risk of losing what makes them good in the first place. Which would suck. : /

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Outside of a few image jokes such as a wrestling gif re-purposed, I don't really see it either. In this thread alone we've talked about home consoles, 3DS, games being ported over there with respect to the original versions, and old home console roms with respect to them.
I have no worries or fear about discussing any system in here. If someone were to ask me about SteamWorld Dig, I might still argue for the 3DS version just for the sake of quick pick up and play, then let pause and sleep with the lid down type use. If someone wanted the best experience (though at the cost of forced intro song) for Burnout Paradise, the home consoles would be the place I tell them to go and I don't fear a backlash at that.

Right now we have discussion of PS4's controller, Xbox One's controller not longer before that. Both very good controllers I feel and I look forward to the day they get full support for PC (Windows, Mac, Linux), but not all that important to get until that happens as long as you have a serviceable game pad currently.
Playing Retro City Rampage on PC with a PS4 controller is nice and I say more comfortable, but it doesn't change the experience any like it was for some going from a basic Logitech game pad to a Xbox 360 controller in the past for other titles.

It will be a while longer for Xbox One controller to go anywhere. As it currently stands hackers and coders have only managed limited support with the analogue sticks.

Too bad the actual community for L4D is pure-hot-trash no matter the platform. 360 or PC. Terrible experience playing online even in the base co-op with them.

Not doing what they want? Kick.
Not reviving them quickly enough? Kick.
No mic? Kick.
Went to the safe house to finish the level leaving them to die? Kick.

As bad as the SOCOM community for me.

This is so true, I played a lot L4D 2 back in the day, but eventually I got sick of this, you get kicked for anything. So I moved to Killing Floor, wich has a much better community.

Derrick01

Banned

What a mess. I do remember it helping that city section though, the buildings in the distance didn't look as bad as before. Like others said the game looks pretty good as long as you stay 5+ feet away from everything.

i know only like 2 people on steamgaf don't have this game but everyone should get back into Killing Floor. Made a post about the mechanics here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=83766927&highlight=#post83766927

If you can beat normal/short routinely you should move up the harder difficulties. There are people who play KF and then there are people who play KF. There's an incredible core set of players in that game - I rarely add people to my friend's list and nearly all 30 of them have over 300 to 1000 hours in the game. Play HoE and you'll bump into the regulars for sure.

There's a lot of value in the game. But I guess the hump is dying in the game or having no one to play with. And of course the game's probably not for everyone since most of GAF jumps around anyway. But I do know a couple of you here who have put in a high amount of hours.

And if you search the game here it's almost always paired with best gunplay.

Game is borderline broken for me.

1. Ugly as fuck UI
2. Ugly art style
3. Server list that doesn't load 80% of the time
4. Games that fail to load 70% of the time
5. Stupid DLC
6. Ugly as fuck UI.....

Big waste of money. Luckily it was cheap.

That UI was the standard for all the UT2.0 games. Don't know why the game doesn't work for you 80/70% sounds like an exaggeration.

Killing Floor is probably the best horde mode ever made, but that's all it is.

There's objective mode added in now, with two official maps from TWI. It's a lot more dynamic and requires a lot more teamwork now on harder difficulties. But it's easy to cheese it as always on solo.

As far as the DLC is concerned it's all right on sale ($1.60 on GMG - $2). CWP 1 has the flare revolvers which are definitely recommended by most everyone on the TWI and Steam forums, but you don't need it.

The rest you skip if you don't want. it's a damn co op game. CWP 2 has the steam musket which is good for style points but not necessary. CWP3 is absolutely worthless right now but I bought it anyway since it was $1.60 on GMG.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I lean towards The Monk on this one.

My only contribution is to just say that we should PM more often here. Which I'm trying to get in the habit of doing. And add each other on Steam, as well.

Trying to artificially control a thread like this will end up scaring off people who provide news and updates as well. I haven't seen many (any?) New posters complain about it being too insular in here. Instead I see people new to Steam getting games gifted to them, and people with low-end rigs getting lists of games that will run for them, stuff like that.

The B/S/T thread gets cranky about sellers who do too well on there, which generally leaves you with megaposts from the same six guys trying to sell junk no one wants and never giving up. I fear that too explicit of an attempt to kill off the social end of this thread would end up harming its usefulness for news and updates as well.
I agree, but only if they are creepy PMs, the sort of which will make your name appear on every "Most wanted" list in the planet.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Rage must be one of the most graphically confusing games I've played in quite some time. "It's so pretty" and "great Scott this game is ugly" are constantly switching between each other.
So blurry.

John Goodman's a nice touch, everything feels silky smooth and the atmosphere is quite nice.
Feels a bit like Borderlands without the co-op, or humor. Quite empty, too.

But eventually, it's not my cup of tea. But I'm glad I tried it.
Those free weekends are quite nice. :)

Grief.exe

I'm debating picking one up for GT6 and having proper triggers and to replace my ageing 360 pad for pc but I'm going to wait it out until the Steam controller is out before taking a plunge at that price.

That is my rationale as well. The Steam controller just gives so much more utility.

Rage must be one of the most graphically confusing games I've played in quite some time. "It's so pretty" and "great Scott this game is ugly" are constantly switching between each other.
So blurry.

John Goodman's a nice touch, everything feels silky smooth and the atmosphere is quite nice.
Feels a bit like Borderlands without the co-op, or humor. Quite empty, too.

But eventually, it's not my cup of tea. But I'm glad I tried it.
Those free weekends are quite nice. :)

Probably due to the megatextures. They work great at a macro level, but not so much at the micro.

Interesting tech once you bump up the install size to >50GB

Dambrosi

Banned
Ah, yeah, you're right -- I'd forgotten about the discount that owners of RO2 receive. Logged in:
1006qi23.jpg

Not logged in:
75nsd0w.jpg
Wait. Sooooooooooo...if you buy RO2 (currently 75% off, much cheaper than RS) and install it, you essentially get Rising Storm for free? Or is this some sort of mistake?

I'm more interested in RAGE anyway - shame I can't download the weekend trial.

God, the Steam Client is such a slow piece of shit. Thank you based Enhanced Steam.
It has been acting really weird for me since last night. Although getting errors loading pages through the client while on slow internet, and then using the web store (with enhanced steam) no problem on the same connection still bugs me just a little bit.

Chronoja

Wait. Sooooooooooo...if you buy RO2 (currently 75% off, much cheaper than RS) and install it, you essentially get Rising Storm for free? Or is this some sort of mistake?

I believe the rising storm you get access to with the base RO2 is severely limited, as in you can only play the rifleman class or something. I can't remember if there was a map restriction as well, though I might be completely confusing this with something else entirely.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Nah, it's a mistake as owners of RO2 get a 25% discount on Rising Storm by default. To prevent abuse it's not actually possible to buy games that are marked down to $0.00 or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom