• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart

I have the same problem, so here's what I'm doing: I look at my Badge List, see which games I didn't play that still have Card Drops, and I start playing them. It's usually one card every 40 minutes, so, depending on how many cards you have to drop, that's like 2-4 hours per game.

I found some real stinkers (oh god Guncraft and Nuclear Dawn) and some Forgotten Gems (Fortix 2!) that way.

I mean, I even loved Arkham City, and Asylum is just sitting there being neglected :(

On my behalf, I have started Deus Ex: Human Revolution, just gotta play it for another 4 hours or so to make sure the hooks sink deep enough to make me finish this gem.

Volcynika

Have some leftovers:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hard Reset Extended Edition -- MB-A7D4EFF6E911FDFC - Taken by Eanan
The 39 Steps -- MB-7BA2F518705AEF32 - Taken by 73V3N
Colin McRae DiRT 2 -- MB-6F265C10A657C12D - Taken by Kuroyume
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-F8ED41481E7252D3 - Taken by Anustart

Please don't flame me here, I'm not trying to backseat moderate or anything but this probably is going to be an unpopular opinion but; I'm starting to think these giveaways need their own threads.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are marvelous, there's a ton of very generous people here and it's a damn fine example of why PC / Steam gaming is the best, but I feel like the purpose of this thread, annoucements and updates is starting to get lost a bit. While it's still a thread dedicated to important information, updates, new games, sales, games removed but recently these giveaways are becoming more and more prevalent and have almost started superceding its purpose. I get the impression that modbot was set up to simplify the process, to have less people derailing the thread with trade shoutouts and the inevitable empty replies "there's a thread for that *link"" but it seems to have simply ended up replacing it.

Every giveaway that pops up spawns at least 3 "empty posts" , the inital "great giveaway" posts from numerous people, then the "thanks for game X!" followed by the "well done, hope you enjoy it". This massive JaseC giveaway of 200+ games will inevitably spawn 200+ posts alone, that's 2+ pages of relatively unimportant posts to parse through in order to see if any actual important news has shown up (not a dig at JaseC btw, just an example, the giveaway is god tier and I salute you sir)

Anyways, my point here is just that trading threads are set up to pool these kinds of things, I think it's starting to reach a critical point where these steam giveaways need their own thread to breathe effectively. These steam threads already move fast enough without these countless giveaways pumping up the post counts even faster.

I hope this comes across as simply a reasonable concern and doesn't sound like me going "omg i want this changed now" which isn't the case, I know many people have different expections from these threads now and these giveaways certainly build a stronger community. If I'm off base and everyone is happy with how things are I'm fine with that, but I figured I might as well just bring it up anyways.

I completely agree. It's gotten better about PM'ing thanks I've found, but with these epic giveaways of tons of games, its inevitable.

Hell we're halfthrough through this thread and it's been filled with 'great, new thread' and giveaways. The giveaways are great, but.....defeats the purpose of 'announcements and updates'

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It still saddens me that I can't buy the original Need for Speed Most Wanted on Origin or Steam.

I want to experience the Callahan first hand.

Anustart

I think I'm ready for more sales.

I'm ready for the winter sale! This is the first year I've taken part of the sale event on neogaf and the summer sale was a fucking blast.

Is the winter/xmas sale as big as the summer sale?

Edit: Thanks Volcynika for Hack Evolution!!

2nd Edit:
Hell we're halfthrough through this thread and it's been filled with 'great, new thread' and giveaways. The giveaways are great, but.....defeats the purpose of 'announcements and updates'

Well, to be fair we're only just over 1/8th of the way through this thread. And at least it's better than the funny pics thread where almost every pic is quoted 10+ times with responses ranging from "That's not funny/That's funny!/I don't get it :("

Diedac

some keys from groupees

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Pid -- MB-FAEEE3B42B454033 - Taken by Kuroyume. 2 entrants total.
Electronic Super Joy -- MB-0E0D6F2CE9D36719 - Taken by Htown. 7 entrants total.
King's Bounty: Warriors of the North -- MB-0A2FEB6644CF8007 - Taken by Sarcasm. 3 entrants total.

t1385227676z1.png

Volcynika

I completely agree. It's gotten better about PM'ing thanks I've found, but with these epic giveaways of tons of games, its inevitable.

There was a ton of posts just talking about food. Food. At least the giveaways are related to the thread. And I haven't seen much in the way of news get lost in the thread. Especially when it's a weekend and not many games are out.

Jawmuncher

It still saddens me that I can't buy the original Need for Speed Most Wanted on Origin or Steam.

I want to experience the Callahan first hand.

Damn you know Origin is a whack ass service when EA can't even support their old titles.
Freedom Fighters isn't on there either. I just hope they don't muck up their Black Friday sale. The ME DLC better be on sale for once.

Well, to be fair we're only just over 1/8th of the way through this thread. And at least it's better than the funny pics thread where almost every pic is quoted 10+ times with responses ranging from "That's not funny/That's funny!/I don't get it :("

gah, you're right. I can't count.

Yes, it's not the giveaways but the numerous responses & thank posts that they bring.

right. At least when people talk about Sawhorse or food, there is a discussion around it. 100 posts saying 'thanks' or 'thanks for the chance', literally contributes nothing to the thread.

Trying to start a new game is like pulling teeth. The same can be said about my tv viewing habits. I just don't like to start new things :/

I'll look at my steam library forever, then because I 'can't' find anything, I'll just turn on super hexagon, plants vs zombies or something and not start a game I've yet to try.

I know the feeling.

You have some nice options in your game library. Of the two that you are yet to play at all I would commend Dead Space and Limbo to you. Neither is learning intensive and in the former's case, it is a AAA game so one is led by the nose to such an extent that it would be unpossible [sic] to not know what to do or how to do it, pretty much. For a AAA game it's very good. Limbo is very straightforward so no issues there. I do see that you have only played FTL for about 15 hours though :/. Multiply that by ten and then we're talking! My recommendation would be to rectify that forthwith but it's up to you :).

Oh and I do so adore your username :D.

Volcynika

right. At least when people talk about Sawhorse or food, there is a discussion around it. 100 posts saying 'thanks' or 'thanks for the chance', literally contributes nothing to the thread.

Disagree personally. When I see thanks for giveaways I might look to see who is giving away what and might see something that I can try for. When I go in and people are just going back and forth talking about food, I sigh and go back to browsing the forum, since it holds no value for me.

Turfster

Playing some E.Y.E since it got cards recently, last time I played was for the christmas achievement years ago. Good to know it's still janky as hell, even after all the patches. They did fix the 1pt font thing though, so that's something.

Enco

Been returning back to Killing Floor, but holy shit at the weapons being DLC.
Game is borderline broken for me.

1. Ugly as fuck UI
2. Ugly art style
3. Server list that doesn't load 80% of the time
4. Games that fail to load 70% of the time
5. Stupid DLC
6. Ugly as fuck UI.....

Big waste of money. Luckily it was cheap.

Anustart

I know the feeling.

You have some nice options in your game library. Of the two that you are yet to play at all I would commend Dead Space and Limbo to you. Neither is learning intensive and in the former's case, it is a AAA game so one is led by the nose to such an extent that it would be unpossible [sic] to not know what to do or how to do it, pretty much. For a AAA game it's very good. Limbo is very straightforward so no issues there. I do see that you have only played FTL for about 15 hours though :/. Multiply that by ten and then we're talking! My recommendation would be to rectify that forthwith but it's up to you :).

Oh and I do so adore your username :D.

Dead Space is installing now! And thanks :3

Jawmuncher

1. Ugly as fuck UI
2. Ugly art style
5. Stupid DLC
6. Ugly as fuck UI.....

last time I played it wasn't that bad.
The UI wasn't anything special but it all worked in a sense. As for the art style and the like the game was an indie effort when it started wasn't it? I'm pretty sure I saw it on Desuta. I mean sure that's not really a excuse but still. But yeah I grabbed it on the cheap as well. I've always been a lot easier on games depending on the price I got them on. For example I bought Kane and Lynch 2 for 10 bucks and think that games is amazing at that price.

Vazduh

Here you go! Hope you enjoy it!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Pinball FX2 -- MB-9872B288EA34C9AE - Taken by zerokoolpsx. 2 entrants total.

t1385219711z1.png

The first rule of modbot is: you do not talk about modbot.

Great make it so.

But then you have people giving out if they dont say thanks for a game they've won, even though they may have PMed the giver of the game already.

Yeah I don't know the solution beyond a little self moderation. The point chronoja brought up was valid & I have thought about it even if I don't post that much.

I'm just choosing my side before the Steam thread civil war where one half secedes from General Discussion and sets up a new republic in Community.

Eanan

Yeah I don't know the solution beyond a little self moderation. The point chronoja brought up was valid & I have thought about it even if I don't post that much.

I'm just choosing my side before the Steam thread civil war where one half secedes from General Discussion and sets up a new republic in Community.

Yeah its a valid point and I understand where hes coming from. The only logical outcome that would work on a big forum like this for that issue, is if Neogaf had the "thanks" function like some other forums do where you just thank the post and if you click a button, it shows whose given thanks. Shame it doesn't.

Yeah its a valid point and I understand where hes coming from. The only logical outcome that would work on a big forum like this for that issue, is if Neogaf had the "thanks" function like some other forums do where you just thank the post and if you click a button, it shows whose given thanks. Shame it doesn't.

I recall someone on twitter suggesting something like this to Evilore which he immediately shot down.

Chronoja

Yes, it's not the giveaways but the numerous responses & thank posts that they bring.

Aye that's the truthfact. That's why I suggested a few pages back that if modbot could do it all the thanks posts might be condensed into the original giveaway itself.

Failing that it might be worth having people just put more content in their posts other than just "great giveaway" or "thanks". As people have said these giveaways stir conversations about games that might not otherwise get talked about. I would happily read more of these "great giveaway" posts if they contained a bit more "flavour text" to them, like why they feel it's a great giveaway or if they encourage people to enter for a specific game. Some already do but most tend not to leading to pages of fairly bland content.

I'll let the topic go for a while, I don't want to risk it becoming a thread derail in itself, but obviously you guys are still free to discuss it at your leisure. Glad people have acknowledged that the concern had at least some merit to it though, I hope there's a workable comprimise since I'd hate to be the guy that sparked a "steam thread civil war" though I doubt it would ever come to that.

derExperte

1. Ugly as fuck UI
2. Ugly art style
5. Stupid DLC
6. Ugly as fuck UI.....

While most of this is true (no problem with the loading here and you can totally ignore DLC) the game is still very, very good. I thought 'that's trash' at first too, now it's my most played Steam game.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I have 2 "The Ship - 2 Pack Gift that includes 2 items: The Ship, The Ship Single Player", if someone doesn't have it yet just add me to steam and I'll gift it to you, my steam profile is in gaf profile.

The_Monk

MNC

1. Ugly as fuck UI
2. Ugly art style
5. Stupid DLC
6. Ugly as fuck UI.....

The game is like, 5 years old? Give it a break. It wasn't a big title and was released during early indie era iirc. It was pretty good for its time.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
...and I just finished The Swapper, best indie game I played since... ever!

The Swapper is a not so linear puzzle game with an original and unique gameplay mechanic that increases it's difficulty as you progress through the game almost without you even knowing it adding a ridiculous level of immersion thanks to the high quality soundtrack paired with the artistic design and a mysterious story that will result in addiction until you are done with it.

I could say a lot more but I don't want to spoil anything at all, if you like puzzle games this is a must. I don't consider myself cheap but I don't pay full price for anything this days but this game is worth the $ 15.00 price tag easy, if you still don't want to pay full price be sure to remember it for the upcoming steam sale because I can guarantee it won't disappoint you.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think I may have lost the track of all these games, it's going to be fun finding which are the good ones.

I've no interest in the farming games themselves but Farming Giant, as a sort of farm-themed SimCity lite, seems like it could be interesting.

Pretty crazy giveaways recently.
Christmas week should be interesting.

Are we expecting some unique cards/coal promotion thingy during holiday sales ?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pretty crazy giveaways recently.
Christmas week should be interesting.

Are we expecting some unique cards/coal promotion thingy during holiday sales ?

Sale-themed cards are a safe bet, I think. I'd like for Valve to return to the likes of 2011 with its meta-games and opportunities to win wishlisted titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom