• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M/KB or controller for Arkham City?

I was playing SMTIV in bed last night. Best part about portable consoles.
most of the stuff feels way easier to do on the controller IMO(lflying, for example). Fighting is ok with M/KB, but i prefer the controller too. You should test both to see what you like more.

Amazing, I've made it past the first airlock in Minerva's Den without crashing. Looks like I need to throw SMAA back in and rebind my FOV again though.

Grief.exe

Amazing, I've made it past the first airlock in Minerva's Den without crashing. Looks like I need to throw SMAA back in and rebind my FOV again though.

Remember to bind something to remove mouse-acceleration. It turns it back on everytime you load a game.

Optimizing The Game

FOV
Windows Key + R, type %appdata%, navigate to Bioshock2Steam folder
Open User.ini
Find [Default] Section
Find a key binding you wish to set for your FOV, type SetFOV # (# being your desired FOV, 90-100 for 16:9)
Example: PageUp=SetFOV 95
Need to press the key every time you load the game

AF
Navigate to your installation folder, Steam/steamapps/common/Bioshock 2
/SP/Builds/Binaries
Open Default.ini
Find Levelofanisotropy=#, change #to 16

Disable Auto-Aim
Windows Key + R, type %appdata%, navigate to Bioshock2Steam folder
Open Bioshock2SP.ini
AutoAim=False

Disable Mouse Acceleration

Here's a fix for you guys. If you remember the old mouse acceleration fix from the first Bioshock, it's exactly the same trick. I know there's toggle for Mouse Acceleration in the options menu, but it still feels janky, this will eliminate that feeling.

Navigate to C:\Users\YourNameHere\AppData\Roaming\Bioshock2Steam\User.ini
Grief.exe note: Windows Key + R Type %appdata%

Add this to the end of the file:

[Engine.PlayerInput]
MouseSmoothingMode=0
MouseAccelThreshold=0.0
Go to your bindings under the [Default] section and choose a key to bind this command:
set Engine.PlayerInput MouseAccelThreshold 0.0 | set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSmoothingMode 0
Now you'll have to press that key every time you load a save so the easiest thing to do is bind it to the same key as MoveForward. If you use WASD, that should look like this:

W=MoveForward | set Engine.PlayerInput MouseAccelThreshold 0.0 | set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSmoothingMode 0
Search for every instance of

Speed=2000.0
and change that number to something much lower. 750 feels good to me. You'll still be able tweak the mouse sensitivity with the slider in game. If you did that all correctly, then mouse controls should feel pretty good.

Turfster

I'm playing through both older Arkham games right now; kb/m is the way to go, as usual. Mouse-based camera control is just so much better.

I dunno, I found the combat bindings for Asylum rather convoluted, especially since controller buttons get mapped to multiple different keys.

Grief.exe

Both are surprisingly great. Up to you.

most of the stuff feels way easier to do on the controller IMO(lflying, for example). Fighting is ok with M/KB, but i prefer the controller too. You should test both to see what you like more.

if it aint first person = controller*

*not counting specifics like RTS, Mobas etc

Asylum works fantastically with kbm though. Camera movement with the mouse during combat is great.

M/KB works great.

Controller!

I haven't personally played City, but based on trying to play Asylum with KB/M, I would say controller for sure.

I'm playing through both older Arkham games right now; kb/m is the way to go, as usual. Mouse-based camera control is just so much better.

I've heard enough people recommend M/KB so I think I will just go with that. I generally enjoy that set up more unless I am playing on the couch. I even played Sleeping Dogs with M/KB and the controls worked just fine, though analog would have been preferable for driving.

h8p1oBJl.jpg

this game is so good someone should put it up on greenlight

at the last dungeon

top 3 zelda

MRORANGE

To summarize, I don't see the "Master Race" talk in here very often and I don't believe we are "getting there" as you mentioned. Of course, this is just my humble opinion, feel free to dismiss it anytime.

To be fair, there are also a decent number of times when there aren't any major deals or other Steam news worth discussing. At times like those, the giveaways and replies keep the thread on the front page where people can see it and help stimulate more discussion, which keeps things active. I don't see that as a bad thing..

Outside of a few image jokes such as a wrestling gif re-purposed, I don't really see it either. In this thread alone we've talked about home consoles, 3DS, games being ported over there with respect to the original versions, and old home console roms with respect to them.
I have no worries or fear about discussing any system in here. If someone were to ask me about SteamWorld Dig, I might still argue for the 3DS version just for the sake of quick pick up and play, then let pause and sleep with the lid down type use. If someone wanted the best experience (though at the cost of forced intro song) for Burnout Paradise, the home consoles would be the place I tell them to go and I don't fear a backlash at that.

I like the steam community that Gaf has built up, but it's getting to a point where we can't have a new page without a derailment of some sort, taking us a few pages back. (I admit to doing it myself 100%). I'm not asking for changes but consideration of what people post and how it impacts the thread would be appreciative to say the least. This thread doesn't need to bumped to be successful, steam alone manages to warrant this thread to be on the top page and it's been doing this for years.

I just feel the negative vibe of 'us vs them' mentality could lead to problems in the future as more members come in, I don't have stats on who reads these forums more, but there is a huge following who are unregistered who are not on NeoGaf for consideration, I was reading these threads for years before I was allowed to join and I suspect there are many others.who are joining all the time. Granted it's how you interpret the thread that determines your viewpoint, but it's a point for consideration if you feel that this place is a community or not.

Anywho that's my personal opinion on the matter.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've heard nothing but great things about Zelda and nothing but terrible things about the ass known as ESO. Surprised it's consuming you!

I can't really talk about ESO - but it's hate is pretty warranted, actually. I'm kind of surprised I keep playing it, especially since I have Zelda, but I've been alternating between the two.

Exuro

Has anyone had an issue where Portal 2 won't recognize a controller? I've been trying to help someone get it work but I'm lost with what to do. Tried reinstalling the game, reinstalling the drivers, disabling then reenabling the controller in the options and nothing is working.

Technically it recognizes the controller but only in the menu. When he actually tries to play the game only the start button works.

I've been testing it and it sounds like his options are always set to disabled as you can press start when that setting is on. He's tried both settings with no success though.

Grief.exe

Has anyone had an issue where Portal 2 won't recognize a controller? I've been trying to help someone get it work but I'm lost with what to do. Tried reinstalling the game, reinstalling the drivers, disabling then reenabling the controller in the options and nothing is working.

Have you tried unplugging your keyboard? Launching the game from the controller?

That seems to be an issue lately, though I've only heard of it in reference to Dark Souls.

Turfster

Just default DX10 on Win7x64 so far. I made it through the main game and some of the Protector Trials on DX10, but MD used to give me so much trouble before the GFWL removal.
Huh. Nvidia card?
Because it dies on load for every level on my ati unless I go to DX9 mode on win7x64 here, and looking at the various fora and the chats we had here, I'm not the only one with the problem.

Exuro

Have you tried unplugging your keyboard? Launching the game from the controller?

That seems to be an issue lately, though I've only heard of it in reference to Dark Souls.
Well the game recognizes it. I think I've got it pinned down to the enable/disable option not working in Portal 2 for him for whatever reason.

And for some reason I can't find Portal 2 under Valve games in steam support, wtf yo.

All this talk of RAGE and I bought it but haven't installed it to play. :/ I didn't mind the PS3 demo. But I didn't want to buy it at more than $5, sorry Carmack. :(

Too bad the actual community for L4D is pure-hot-trash no matter the platform. 360 or PC. Terrible experience playing online even in the base co-op with them.

Not doing what they want? Kick.
Not reviving them quickly enough? Kick.
No mic? Kick.
Went to the safe house to finish the level leaving them to die? Kick.

As bad as the SOCOM community for me.

L4D community was good to me. Socom community as well,you should have a mic for that game.

Grief.exe

When is the valve controller suppose to release and will there be different variations of them?

Early 2014.

They are the only company that is going to be producing the controller, unlike the Steam Machine, so there will only be one iteration. There may be cheaper versions though, for example, a premium version that is wireless and with the touchscreen, and one that is wired and just four buttons instead of the touchscreen.
I think that would be the best way to release the controller. A cheaper version so there is a lower barrier to entry so people can try out the controller.

I like the steam community that Gaf has built up, but it's getting to a point where we can't have a new page without a derailment of some sort, taking us a few pages back. (I admit to doing it myself 100%). I'm not asking for changes but consideration of what people post and how it impacts the thread would be appreciative to say the least. This thread doesn't need to bumped to be successful, steam alone manages to warrant this thread to be on the top page and it's been doing this for years.

I agree with this, the balance is very important. I'll try to give more consideration to what I post.

Woot. Bought Doom BFG during the summer. I beat Doom 3 and Lost MIssion back then. Still have ROE to play. Just finished up Ultimate Doom. Now to tackle Doom 2.

Then I gotta get my 64 back and hunt down Doom 64.

Anustart

So with Dead Space, there's an odd graphical glitch with my player, he twitches and spazzes every so often while moving, is that normal?

And another problem, I just got on the space station, went down the elevator, busted the little power thingy by the door, but I can't walk through the door.... It's open, but theres an invisible wall or something?

Edit: And I thought the controls were absolutely terrible, but perhaps they aren't? I turned on fraps to record my troubles, and while recording my framerate dropped from 414fps to 50, which had the effect of making the game control great.... How might I fix this? Still can't get through the door though.

DX9 is stable! But the SMAA injector screws up and makes everything ugly now. I didn't have any issues with it in DX10. Is there a fix for this?

I wanted to get rid of all my extra keys and give back to the community. Enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 52 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

iBomber Defense Pacific -- MB-7CAF7773DA6439D6
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter -- MB-BE618136CCB9B361
Men of War: Assault Squad #2 -- MB-B29F999B4D03A1F7
Dungeons: The Dark Lord -- MB-DFC40D4DE88F3C14
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition -- MB-A97DD6D9D1326649
Oil Rush -- MB-DD9BDAD79F8E00E4 - Taken by zeroOman
Patrician IV -- MB-3AFBDA6F43C3C934
Medal of Honor -- MB-9299D9B883EDF955
Bastion -- MB-2033B8BF2A9C3474
Nightsky -- MB-0B054A654E0D5256 - Taken by bluechox2
Serious Sam Double D -- MB-66C14C01195B1E86
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter -- MB-6DFDB295CFE9EF16
Awesomenauts Cluck Costume -- MB-B40B3CA9E3B258AA
Hydrophobia: Prophecy -- MB-BE37008B21E204B1
Dead Space -- MB-193E31A5C2CBC935
Avencast: Rise of the Mage -- MB-E1F5A3FBC2817463
Drakensang -- MB-E3BC1D8068929F91
Patrician IV #2 -- MB-71CF238D4F31E949
Proteus -- MB-4AD63C879106267C
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 : Uprising -- MB-01D418934C0DE5DE
Hard Reset Extended Edition -- MB-6976A4448F7B8712
Waking Mars -- MB-E04F141BFC9576BE
Beat Hazard Ultra -- MB-477F5F774A16B694
A New Beginning -- MB-14F4D3817FC3BE59
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-9CE9A44F9E9FE663
Dungeon Defenders Plus All DLC -- MB-93D711887A486E25
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter -- MB-ED1702BE08A23E1A - Taken by Fuu
Project Aftermath -- MB-E1376AF86C3F4101
Nightsky #2 -- MB-A69A4E4E06A46049
Humble Indie Bundle #3 -- MB-05D38D29D24BDF7B
Eschalon Book II -- MB-C3169B8724BD76C0
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-EF2C6246651F590E
Galactic Arms Race -- MB-48A1C1BB6D36A444
Depths of Peril -- MB-A9C38C689E3A0B00
Cortex Command -- MB-F0914DFECE64C06E
Swords and Soldiers -- MB-AC3DCE1805393412
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes -- MB-A68B5771FCAB0CD0
Swords & Soldiers HD -- MB-A581DD7FB840AC17
LIMBO -- MB-130658B37B36D61E
Star Wolves 3: Civil War -- MB-B7A08F38ECBDF1E7
Blades of Time -- MB-B1247120E06B4A92
Aquaria -- MB-CA10BE4F553D9C76
Two Worlds 2 -- MB-BFDC4B0C3AEA6FAE
Dear Esther -- MB-201A0F2ABC502367
Blood Bowl -- MB-2B9C380C4CC7666C
Men of War: Assault Squad -- MB-7AE55B0CED75D5EB
The Whispered World -- MB-1E84EC3AF3C999C3
Serious Sam 2 -- MB-EEAD54584CB7533A
SpaceChem -- MB-AC6E3B8181B60919
Cave Story Plus -- MB-053DC3B7212B190D
The 39 Steps -- MB-747FC9DA30FADD15
Awesomenauts -- MB-C28FB1151BA7938B

t1385332977z1.png

Mulder, you're making me feel guilty for not giving away anything yet, and I just started posting here a few days ago! Think I'll pick up some stuff from the Humble store sale and gift them here :)

fantomena

Hey Steambrosses, how did you start playing CivV the first time? Did you watch a tutorial or jump right into a game and learn from there?

Grief.exe

Hey Steambrosses, how did you start playing CivV the first time? Did you watch a tutorial or jump right into a game and learn from there?

I've linked you to this tutorial a couple of times now lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I__9ZlOUG4E

To answer your question, if you don't watch this tutorial you are going to be ridiculously confused with even the most simple mechanics.

What's with the crappy quality. Is that something Steam does?

Yes, Steam screenshots are famously compressed.

There is an option in the settings to save an uncompressed png file, or use a third party program, Fraps, Afterburner, etc.

Then you need to upload to a service that does not further compress the image, see: minus, abload, etc.

MKUltra

I'm not great at it by any means but I started playing last week and just played on the lowest difficulty, it seems complicated at first but you start to learn by playing and the advisers give you tips every time you see something new, I'd say just try it.

fernandes

I watched a few videos from MisterCiv5, he's awesome and has some great tutorial videos ranging from beginner to more advanced. Here's the first Basic one if you have never played a Civ game before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYsmSuxVIBI

He's not active anymore so the videos might be a bit out of date because it doesn't feature any of the patches/expansions but they are still pretty good if you are new to the series.

Tenrius

Yes, I jumped right into the game and my first session took about 7 hours straight. Good times. Of course, I had also played every previous Civilization game beginning with Civilization 1, which I first played when I was 7 years old.

But seriously, it's a very accessible game, very easy to get into. You don't need any prior experience to enjoy it (this an idea I find preposterous for video games in general, by the way). Just pick one of the lower difficulty settings and go, you won't notice how the time will fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom