• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart

So with Dead Space, there's an odd graphical glitch with my player, he twitches and spazzes every so often while moving, is that normal?

And another problem, I just got on the space station, went down the elevator, busted the little power thingy by the door, but I can't walk through the door.... It's open, but theres an invisible wall or something?

Edit: And I thought the controls were absolutely terrible, but perhaps they aren't? I turned on fraps to record my troubles, and while recording my framerate dropped from 414fps to 50, which had the effect of making the game control great.... How might I fix this? Still can't get through the door though.

Apparently it's the high frame rate causing my troubles for everything. Lots of people had the same issue with not being able to go through that door. vsync it is I guess.

Tenrius

I hope you like my contribution. This giveaway is also a personal statement about myself.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away one of the most ambitious adventure games ever made. Seriously, do yourself a favor and play it as soon as possible. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with "I chooseth this fate of mine own free will" in the subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Last Express Gold Edition -- MB-DE63308650A3F1E2 - Taken by r3n4ud

Tenrius

Ah man, thanks so much :)

Had this one in the Steam cart, but hadn't pulled the trigger yet.

You are in luck then!

I remember being literally blown away by The Last Express when I randomly happened to pick it up a few years ago. In retrospect, it might not have the best story or puzzles, but it's just phenomenal nevertheless.

r3n4ud

You are in luck then!

I remember being literally blown away by The Last Express when I randomly happened to pick it up a few years ago. In retrospect, it might not have the best story or puzzles, but it's just phenomenal nevertheless.

I look forward to starting it up as soon as it's done downloading. Have been looking forward to this one for awhile now. Hope I enjoy it as much as you did.

I generally tell people you don't have to watch the whole thing when I link that particular video. At about 20-30 minutes he tells you to stop watching and he completes the game, you can keep going for more tips along the way but its far from necessary.

Heh there you go, I should have stuck with it a bit longer ;)

Speaking of Civ 5, I've been playing a bit of "A mod of ice and fire" http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128722076&searchtext= which is great fun. Well worth a look for fans of the series.

Dr Dogg

With all this talk of CivV and the near frequent sales and people wanting to learn makes me think we should all try and organise some SteamGAF community MP. No better way to pick the more nuanced mechanics than some friendly competition.

Grief.exe

Speaking of Civ 5, I've been playing a bit of "A mod of ice and fire" http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=128722076&searchtext= which is great fun. Well worth a look for fans of the series.

Damn Todd, that's pretty cool.

With all this talk of CivV and the near frequent sales and people wanting to learn makes me think we should all try and organise some SteamGAF community MP. No better way to pick the more nuanced mechanics than some friendly competition.

The only problem with that is you have to dedicate at least 6 hours to a full Civ game.

Tenrius

It gets very tiresome to sit through other people's turns, even if there are just two players. I dunno, I just never had the patience.

Kifimbo

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-286CCF07DDA1F746 - Taken by gabrielt16

denx

Reading Orange's post in the previous page, holy crap, is there really people who waited for years to have their GAF account approved? That sounds insane.

I guess I can consider myself extremely lucky. My account was approved one week after I signed up here.

About Civ5, I've played a bit of it, but I still don't quite understand how the trading system works in the game. Is it necessary to create roads and train lines between cities to trade stuff, even among your own cities? I never quite understood how trading works in the game, and what building roads and such exactly does in the game
I'm very dumb you see.

Bear in mind I'm talking about Civ5 + Gods & Kings here. Still haven't bought Brave New World (the trade routes system in BVW looks like some hot stuff).

Thanks Muld for the giveaway!
Hey Steambrosses, how did you start playing CivV the first time? Did you watch a tutorial or jump right into a game and learn from there?

When I first started Civ V I just jumped right in on easy diffuculty, big everything (Map size, city states, etc...) and played with Genghis Khan. It only took me a few turns to understand the game.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I actually got that game from that golden joystick thing, so I guess I can download this for whenever I actually play it. I should probably see what this game actually plays like but I just hope it's not an RTS.

I'm so damn bad at fighting games. I can't even do this, and it is only the tutorial!

That one took me about half an hour and it hurt my thumb.

FloatOn

I swear that one day I'll watch these Civ5 videos and learn this damn genre.

Until then I'll stick to my strategy training wheels. I'm currently in love with Skulls of the Shogun. Which btw, has a surprising amount of multiplayer options (hotseat, cross-platform async)

It's also 5 dollars on amazon right now
buy it you bastards

Dr Dogg

It gets very tiresome to sit through other people's turns, even if there are just two players. I dunno, I just never had the patience.

Yeah know what you mean, though I'm usually the one lagging behind with my fastidious micro hahaha. Although PitBoss support was added in later to CivV, IV had way better play by email support which worked fantastically.

I wish Leonard Nimoy was in Civ again

Having Spock as the narrator really added a sense of gravitas to IV that I felt V is lacking. That and it scores highly with nerd points for me.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
h8p1oBJl.jpg

this game is so good someone should put it up on greenlight
I bought this yesterday, even though I'm not a Zelda fan. Don't know when I'll get to playing it, but I wanted to have it anyway.

adaen

Picked up and decided to start Lost Planet 3.

Not much gameplay impressions yet, but it's a pretty rough port and the devs totally screwed up the option to change key bindings.
It's impossible to change commands to keys that are already in use, so binding multiple actions to the same key is not allowed (altough by default there are multiple actions bound to the same keys).
To make matters worse the default binding scheme is pretty bad with multiple actions, including some vital ones like item/weapon-pick up, bound to the easy to reach P-key. There are like 20+ actions to bind, too.
Only solution to this is to edit an .ini-file, but apparently that crashes the game occasionally.

Reloading a check-point seems to screw up something too, as it ate up my dialogue audio and the in-game UI until I changed zones.

Ah well, I'm in the mood for a janky game.

Technical problems aside, I think, I'm gonna have fun with this one.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I like that screenshot. Live in the distant future...all sorts of new technology, weapons, ships and more amazing things then you could ever imagine.

Still need glasses and a fuzzy hat.

I thought it was a shower cap at first glance.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Hey Steambrosses, how did you start playing CivV the first time? Did you watch a tutorial or jump right into a game and learn from there?

Just jump in on easy and make sure all the advisor tips are on and such. The game guides you through all the basics, and it's turn-based so you never have to feel rushed.

I was hoping to pull an all nighter trying to finish Rage up, but something happened that made me stop playing immediately.

In the game later on you start fighting
armored
enemies (which is a bunch of crap since they take 3 shotgun shots, a whole clip from the Light Machine Gun, or a clip and a half from the AR on normal mode). During the levels when they appear there are machines that make laser gates that you have to shut down using
EMP grenades
. How do you do this? Well it's pretty easy, just engineer them using a few tools. Well here's the major negative. One of the tools is a REGULAR GRENADE (3 of them to be exact)!

So I spent my whole time going through the level and using my grenades when needed during combat, when I came to one of these laser gates. Then I had 0 grenades left. So you would think there would be grenades laying around just in case you may not have the tools for it, NOPE. So what did I have to do? I had to backtrack all the way out the level (losing my progress in the level), buy grenades, and disable the laser gate.

I didn't even do that. Once I got out of the sewers I just quit the game and stopped playing out of anger. I can't stand when a game doesn't put back ups or some way to get through an obstacle just in case something like this occurs. Also shame using a grenade or any kind of battle weapon for something as important as this. That's just wrong.

Sorry about this long rant but that really grinded my gears. Got about 4hrs into the game and probably not going to go back. The level designs reminded me of Metro, the story was terrible (I wasn't very interested and the conversations tended to drag a while), and what I just ranted about really makes me salty.

If there's one thing I liked about the game was the graphics and character designs. I was really digging some of the characters looks (especially the Mayor), and the graphics were pretty decent.

I wish I could give my full thoughts on the game, but I didn't beat it so I can't. So for now I give it:
3 grenades I don't have/10
All jokes aside, I'd probably give it a 4 or 5/10 if the game continued the way I was playing it

You can shoot the machines to being the gates down as well. Shoot until the colored lines on the side disappear entirely.

iQPXiA6sh3xlQ.gif

Please tell me your joking :(
I shot it for a while out of anger but nothing happened so I backtracked. They really need to tell people that instead of making it seem like EMP grenades are the only way.

Turfster

I shot it for a while out of anger but nothing happened so I backtracked. They really need to tell people that instead of making it seem like EMP grenades are the only way.

He's not joking, sorry.
But yeah, RAGE pretty much describes the feeling one has after playing the 'game' for a while.

You need electro ammo I think. If you can reach them, you can also just melee the generators (I guess the one you are talking about is behind a wall)

crozier

He's not joking, sorry.
But yeah, RAGE pretty much describes the feeling one has after playing the 'game' for a while.
Personally, I loved it. The shooty-bits alone made the experience worthwhile, even if the driving sections got real old, real fast.

Turfster

Personally, I loved it. The shooty-bits alone made the experience worthwhile, even if the driving sections got real old, real fast.
Yep, and the blatant reuse of the what felt like 5 levels the game had was rage-inducing. "Now do this level again, but backwards" is really not on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom