• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And it can be yours today for only 55€ in early access!
Better than the 80-something it used to be I guess.

(Yes, it looks nice, but that price point is still seriously wtf)

The general idea is that by locking alpha and beta access behind higher price points you're ensuring that, at least for the most part, those purchasing the game are keenly interested and thus you avoid most of the noise that typically surrounds cheaper Early Access games.

Is this list complete?

It's the most complete list there is, at least.

Or, could someone confirm that Alpha Protocol is NOT GFWL? It's coming up on the Amazon sale, so I'd like to pick it up to find out which side of the fence I belong on, regarding that super-divisive game.

Alpha Protocol did use Uniloc, but it was patched out.

Turfster

The general idea is that by locking alpha and beta access behind higher price points you're ensuring that, at least for the most part, those purchasing the game are keenly interested and thus you avoid most of the noise that typically surrounds cheaper Early Access games.

Yeah, I know.
It still started at like, 3-4 times as much as all the other early access games that set a higher price point, though (and it feels really... abusive? of the people that are actually interested)

Really rough still at least on some setups. 20-25fps on my relatively high-end machine when there's barely anything on the planet, and this on a 1v1 match. On top of that, it's not utilizing neither my CPU nor my GPU at all.

From what I've seen, I doubt this game replaces Supreme Commander as our LAN game of choice (we like to play defensively and not worry about 360 degrees of defense etc.) but also from what I've seen, the skill ceiling is quite high so there's a possibility of proper competitive gaming.

Uberent had optimization issues with Super Monday Night Combat, but they started ironing them out. I was hopelessly addicted to that game and MNC before it. Player base was their main issue.

It's the most complete list there is, at least.

Alpha Protocol did use Uniloc, but it was patched out.

Awesome. Thanks!

Deques

I am now done with Sleeping Dogs. Completed the second and last story DLC. It was better than Nightmare in North Point

Also got 100% achievements. Feels great to complete a game once in a while ^^

LQhEf8q.jpg

Can someone help me pick another game to play?

Turfster

You only have an hour and a half in Sands of Time?
Did you... not like it? Or is this a timer bug? Because some of these other times are also really short...

Anyway, really depends on what you're in the mood for, since you've got a lot of different options.

Jawmuncher

I am now done with Sleeping Dogs. Completed the second and last story DLC. It was better than Nightmare in North Point

LQhEf8q.jpg

Analogue: A Hate Story
It's easy achievements, not to long, and is actually really engrossing.
Obviously it's a VN though so not much actual gameplay aside from one part.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, I know.
It still started at like, 3-4 times as much as all the other early access games that set a higher price point, though (and it feels really... abusive? of the people that are actually interested)

I wouldn't say it's abusive. The goal of the higher alpha/beta price walls is to gain proper, valuable feedback and it's not as though such purchasers are going to have more in-game content -- they're just paying for the privilege of shaping the game's pre-release development.

Edit: The alpha/beta pricing tiers may seem like a rort considering the premium they demand and most Early Access games take the opposite approach, and perhaps a better idea would have been to price alpha access at $60 and beta at $40 (3x and 2x the launch price respectively) but when something like Betrayer goes on sale and the discussion hub is subsequently littered with posts complaining about the state of the game, it's an understandable measure to take, plus those who find the asking prices too high aren't losing anything by waiting for launch day (or maybe the beta price will gradually decrease).

Tenrius

LQhEf8q.jpg

My actual suggestion is Broken Sword. Gotta love adventure games and it's pretty short.

What if I already bought it and just want to install it to see how bad it is now that you've said this?

Hey, that's up to you! Let me know what you thought if you play it though. It's not exactly horrible when you take into consideration that perhaps 3 people made the actual game. However, it shows. If it had been a fan mod for another game, I might have been forgiven, but as a standalone game that at the moment is being sold for £9.99... I can't forgive that.

However, I guess that's the double edged sword of Steam Greenlight. For every good game, you're going get a whole load of 'games' creeping through that are webbrowser games, or UDK 'games' that are essentially nothing more than tech demos/portfolio demos/mods.

My actual suggestion is Broken Sword. Gotta love adventure games and it's pretty short.

First Broken Sword is somewhat enjoyable, still to this day. The voice acting is zany and the puzzles are nice. However, don't let it fool you into playing the other Broken Sword games. I fell asleep several times trying to finish Broken Sword 2.

Turfster

First Broken Sword is somewhat enjoyable, still to this day. The voice acting is zany and the puzzles are nice. However, don't let it fool you into playing the other Broken Sword games. I fell asleep several times trying to finish Broken Sword 2.
2 is okay, but 3 is SokoSword.

I wouldn't say it's abusive. The goal of the higher alpha/beta price walls is to gain proper, valuable feedback and it's not as though such purchasers are going to have more in-game content -- they're just paying for the privilege of shaping the game's pre-release development.
Abusive was probably the wrong word to choose.
I understand their reasoning, and I agree with the whole blocking of idiots buying early access stuff and complaining about it, but still... Ah well.

Tenrius

2 is okay, but 3 is SokoSword.

Abusive was probably the wrong word to choose.
I understand their reasoning, and I agree with the whole blocking of idiots buying early access stuff and complaining about it, but still... Ah well.

I didn't play any games past the first one, but I had the impression that the first sequel was of similar quality.

Colin.

I use an Alaskan address, so that no sales tax is charged. And use a mastercard that charges no fees for foreign currencies.

Kuroyume

Banned
some keys from groupees

Thank you Diedac.

Pretty bummed out I didn't get to try Rage during the free weekend as I was busy. Can I download 25 gigs and play the game before 10 am PST? :p Guess not.

Btw, Super Lemonade Factory is the newest game on IGS. No mention yet if Steam keys are guaranteed. Apparently the game was free at some point. Looks pretty uninteresting TBH.

Try restarting your steam client.
The game isn't actually out yet, tho.

I already restarted several times, it's not showing up.

That's probably because the game is not out yet (December 4 is the release date I think), but usually you can see the game in the list, even though you can't install it.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Canadians can. Not sure which if any other countries can. Probably depends on payment method too

I remember Tony saying that any international credit card should work and you just had to add the amazon US address as your home. I'm from Argentina and it works.

LQhEf8q.jpg

< 10 hours in FTL? woo am cry :(

XCOM @ 0 hours played?! :O Rectify that nao! >:[

Seriously though, they are my top, top games from those I have played so far on Steam so either [or even better, both] would be my recommendation.

Do you see it in your games list once activate? I don't.

Yeah, I don't see it either. After entering the code, it recognized the code as "Steam Sub 4564654" or something like that, instead of "The Cat Lady Retail". It does show up on my store transaction as "The Cat Lady - Steam Store and Retail Key". So, hopefully it will show up soon.

I just finished The Swapper, it was a lot better than I was expecting. Judging from the screenshots I was expecting a generic puzzle platformer sort of game, and not much else, but I ended up loving it.

It has a really good sense of atmosphere, the lighting is really well done, the way the character animates on the environment make it seem like a sort of claymation, very pretty. The story is pretty great as well (dark sci-fi), but it takes a little while to get rolling.

It only takes around 4 hours to beat, if you have it sitting in your library, I highly recommend you give it a shot. And don't look at a guide unless you absolutely have to! The puzzles are really satisfying.

Terra_Ex

Yeah, I don't see it either. After entering the code, it recognized the code as "Steam Sub 4564654" or something like that, instead of "The Cat Lady Retail". It does show up on my store transaction as "The Cat Lady - Steam Store and Retail Key". So, hopefully it will show up soon.
Same thing happened with my preorder key for The Shivah recently, got recognised as a Steam Sub (numbers here) code, but the game was promptly added to my account on the day of release. It should be listed on your account details page (under the licenses and subscriptions tab) regardless.

inm8num2

Would have liked to try Rage this weekend, but I lack sufficient HD space and my ISP data cap is very tight for the rest of the month.

Anteater

Rage

an army of mutants and a giant the size of a godzilla later, the main character find out the hospital that he needed to get to was right next door from the starting point.

My first giveaway, please be gentle.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (AScotAbroad, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Just Cause -- MB-4509787A8B255CF8 - Taken by user237. 7 entrants total.
Hitman: Blood Money -- MB-9995808FA31C50FC - Taken by hitoshi. 21 entrants total.

t1385323579z1.png

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Rage

an army of mutants and a giant the size of a godzilla later, the main character find out the hospital that he needed to get to was right next door from the starting point.

Really, my favorite part of that level was the whole premise for the visit.

You will surely not survive without this slightly better version of an item you already have, thus you absolutely must fight your way to the center of an army of angry mutants to get it. You probably definitely won't die faster doing this than not doing this. Probably.

Grief.exe

What are the great Amazon sales today?

QQ: How do you guys play CivV? Scenario, set-up game or something else?

Just setup a game on a small map, pangea landmass, and a couple random AIs.

Have you watched that video I linked yet? You really shouldn't be confused if you had.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 30 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alien Spidy #3 -- MB-12EFB1D65B64AC94 - Taken by Alien8
Alien Spidy #2 -- MB-F8BD4B91D29246EF - Taken by Terra_Ex
Star Wolves 3: Civil War #2 -- MB-9A9E00B02E4A5C2F - Taken by Squirrel Killer
Star Wolves 3: Civil War #3 -- MB-ADB727C265C24B4F - Taken by inm8num2
Bang Bang Racing -- MB-5E55668D1CCF6739 - Taken by Tellaerin
Alien Spidy -- MB-9DB795F14AC40822 - Taken by Firehead
Hacker Evolution: Duality with DLC -- MB-A594871116043A86 - Taken by AScotAbroad
Huntsman: The Orphanage #3 -- MB-8EBA6D5F8C1860A4 - Taken by ~Kinggi~
Huntsman: The Orphanage #2 -- MB-5EBED3E2DA024B5D - Taken by Hesemonni
Dollar Dash #3 -- MB-30F0FAAAD7E4B1B0 - Taken by drizzle
Dollar Dash #2 -- MB-42225B58BACDA5D4 - Taken by Storm360
Hard Reset Extended Edition -- MB-8BF7CA88248AC612 - Taken by Anustart
Huntsman: The Orphanage -- MB-3CC3E56925DC138F - Taken by Kirosia
The 39 Steps #2 -- MB-DBDED79B6A162BE4 - Taken by kennah
The 39 Steps #3 -- MB-622591286F257FB5 - Taken by angular graphics
Hard Reset Extended Edition #2 -- MB-F2CDE3A2B4D8B224 - Taken by Saty
Hard Reset Extended Edition #3 -- MB-BD85D202EABD8787 - Taken by Purkake4
Hacker Evolution: Duality with DLC #2 -- MB-D77131BF9C271C88 - Taken by adaen
Hacker Evolution: Duality with DLC #3 -- MB-CD6C757C852614E7 - Taken by faceless007
Lucius #3 -- MB-A116F587EC60C107 - Taken by sprinkles
Lucius #2 -- MB-9BDA5964C90F6641 - Taken by Turfster
Lucius -- MB-282D9E039909263A - Taken by Berto
Bang Bang Racing #2 -- MB-AD19C3FA8697CF07 - Taken by Aitor
Bang Bang Racing #3 -- MB-C94FCCF51109F5CE - Taken by Deques
Star Wolves 3: Civil War -- MB-0C7429095F64486B - Taken by kafiend
Dollar Dash -- MB-68BE59D88BBC90F9 - Taken by Gintoki
The 39 Steps -- MB-5E6400DE2CBC3D3F - Taken by Cloudius12
Dirt 2 #3 -- MB-717BC6CC91356E9B - Taken by eyeless
Dirt 2 #2 -- MB-C1DCEF0192EF67A6 - Taken by Jawmuncher
Dirt 2 -- MB-EABFC8BF09ED6650 - Taken by Dr Dogg

Status